“Great Stay at the Marriott”

Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Just spent a great week at the Grand Marriott Cayman Beach Resort. Just the right size. All the staff greeted us by name throughout the week. They were extremely professional and vested in making our stay a great one. Cesar, the bell man, was especially pleasant and checked on us every day. We had an ocean view room that was very nice. The beach was a little crowded but beautiful. I have a few minor suggestions for considerations... add pay per view movies to your TV package, put screens on the balcony doors so that ocean view rooms can listen to the ocean without being out on the balcony, and have an on the grounds ATM. We loved the island and the Marriott and plan to go back.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (5,384)

Reviewed 22 July 2012

Just got back from a 7 night stay at this wonderful resort with my family (2 kids, 15 & 11). We had a courtyard room, overlooking the "turtle lagoon", a botanical garden that has a manmade stream running through it full of little pond turtles. Usually when my family goes away we opt for the ocean view rooms but this was a nice change. Upon arriving we were greeted by Cesar the Chilean doorman. The man is an absolute riot and tried speaking Spanish to my son but my son couldn't understand a blink of what he was saying. The other doormen/bell hops are funny too. The staff in the hotel gift shop are incredibly helpful, checking the back for other sizes, colors, etc. A few of the women working in there are American and quickly strike up conversation with tourists. The one complaint I have to make is that sometimes some of the gift shop employees can be a little pushy. I didn't experience this, but rather watched it first hand as a woman was browsing for trinkets and one of the employees kept asking her if she wanted to put her stuff up at the counter and the woman kept having to say "no not yet". By the third time of the employee asking this I could tell the woman was getting annoyed. Besides that, I personally had the best luck with souvenirs in the hotel gift shop, as many of the stores in downtown Georgetown are simply crowded with the same junk in each and every shop. More importantly, the hotel is in easy access to the beach and chairs are plentiful as long as you save your spot early on. The pool and hot tub are nice too, and there was never a mob of kids running amuck as there usually are at hotel pools. On the downside, I found the concierges unhelpful when it came to searching for places to eat. They always seemed to recommend the most expensive places, so I advise you search for breakfast, lunch, and dinner eateries ON YOUR OWN. After experiencing this same scenario on previous vacations, we asked our taxi drivers where the locals eat, and quite honestly those were the best places, food and price wise. During my stay I met three concierges, and only one of them gave mediocre advice. One was no help at all, and seemed to know nothing about the island since every question I asked her she didn't know the answer to. Example: My family wanted to eat in our room one night, so I asked her if she had any takeout menus for places that would deliver. She said I had to find a restaurant first and then call to see if they would deliver. Well every restaurant we would call would not deliver, or was too far, or there was some issue. We finally just got room service after wasting nearly 2 hours calling places to inquire about delivery, food, their menu etc. The next morning my family and I are out for breakfast and I find a whole book inside the restaurant called something like "Fine Dine in" that had the complete list of all the restaurants that delivered in Grand Cayman, their full menus, delivery charges, the whole kit and caboodle. I was furious; luckily I didn't have to interact with that particular concierge for the rest of my trip. The other concierge was downright rude, and had an attitude. When we would walk away from her desk she would mumble after comments and give us dirty looks, completely inappropriate. Besides the concierges, the rest of the staff right down to maids and towel boys were friendly and helpful. Breakfast and dinner on the hotel premises restaurant, the Red Parrot, was overpriced. Ask the locals, taxi drivers, gift shop employees, etc. for advice on where to go. Wonderful hotel, a few bad employees though.

2  Thank AustintoBoston
Reviewed 21 July 2012

My wife and I stayed here for our 9th anniversary and was more than pleased with the accomodations and the room location. The cleaning staff were extremely friendly and thorough down to the chocolates on the bed and the two turtles they left as departing gifts was very thoughful. We would especially love to recognize 2 employees who we believe went above and beyond the highest level of courtesy and professionalism: Genova, who helped us by locating our luggage ( which was erroneously delivered to the wrong hotel a day late by United Airways ) and by assisting us with directions to retrieve our luggage. And: Elisa, for helping us with our return airline tickets ( which United screwed up too ) and for helping us with unblocking our credit card. However, there is one employee ( Ailin ) who, in our opinion, displays no concern for the guests and her people skills leave little to be desired. She has about as much compassion as a referee at a cock fight.

Room Tip: High floor with balcony facing the ocean
Reviewed 21 July 2012

Great location. Good for families. 2 things they can improve on are there was no place to order food (including lunch) without waiter service (the smack bat only had candy, chips and ice cream) -- it would have been nice to get the kids something quick and lite to eat without having to tip all the time. The 2nd thing was we never took advantage of the children's program bc it seemed a bit boring for my active boys. A more comprehensive program would be great.

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 20 July 2012

My wife and I took a long overdue vacation to celebrate my 65th birthday and our 38th wedding anniversary. Our stay at the Marriott clearly exceeded both of our expectations. From our entrance onto the property we were treated and greeted with the highest level of high touch personal professionalism. Specifically I want to acknowledge and express the delightful relationships and service we experienced with Mark Mata and Gergana at the front desk; Waleed and his constant companion, Echo the parrot and Julie and Mary two gracious baristas at the coffee/breakfast bar. They provided consistently magical service and attention. If you choose to stay here, I encourage you to make your requests and any concerns known immediately. Staff were immediately responsive. Although the beach front initially seemed too small and constrained given the volume of use, we quickly adjusted and enjoyed our use of the beach and the excellent snorkeling conditions. We also recommend Cemetery beach for snorkeling. Rick Wellock Ligonier PA

Reviewed 19 July 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 7 nights, the services were excellent. The hotel is located at the popular 7 Miles Beach, the room was clean and the staff were very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Room at higher floor is recommended ...
Reviewed 19 July 2012

Spent a week at the GC Marriott July 5, 2012 for a week on a family vacation. Our first time in the Cayman Islands. Hotel was beautiful, super clean and well air conditioned. All the Staff was super nice, very friendly and accomodating! Had an ocean front room which was gorgeous. Our first day or two the pool and beach were crowded after that we had no problems getting chairs. Pool area is very nice, narrow beach area but loved the table and chairs in the water and the giant rings the hotel provided to lay on. Would definitely come back here again to stay. A fabulous hotel!! Across the way is a small restaurant named Cimboco - we loved it and ate many a breakfast and dinner there. Food is delicious and reasonable. Definitely rent a car for a day or two to see the island.

2  Thank Kathryn S
Caribbean Club
Caribbean Club
#1 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mi...
#5 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
Wyndham Reef Resort
Wyndham Reef Resort
#2 of 2 in East End

Been to Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort? Share your experiences!