“Very Nice Hotel, but could use some upgrades”

Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
new york
“Very Nice Hotel, but could use some upgrades”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

The Check in procedure is lengthy. It took over 3 hours and would have been longer if I didn't complain.

Aside from that everything was fine. The hotel could use some upgrades such as new Chaise Lounges and Umbrellas on the beach. They should also rake the beach and remove rocks that have come ashore. On many islands the beaches are groomed earyy in the day. The rocks are uncomfortable to get to the water. Once in the water, it is great.

We were celebrating our 45th anniversary and on arrival went to see Arlene Sperandeo who is the Vacation Planner. What a sweetheart she is. SShe made arrangements for a tour, rental car and best of all our anniversary dinner at Casanova's in Georgetown. All of the above were perfect. To top that off, she had champagne and strawberries sent to our room to celebrate. ARLENE YOU ARE SPECIAL.

All in all, we would recommend this hotel. It is on a beautiful beach with great sunsets, and the staff is 1st rate.

Bill

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,463)
  • Polish first
Key Biscayne, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

The resort is comfortable and relaxing, with sizeable guest rooms and patios. Even though the resort was nearly full, there were plenty of lounge chairs and umbrellas on the beautiful beach. Beachside food and beverage service was excellent; with great attitudes, prompt delivery, and nicely prepared food. Additionally, the entire staff was outstanding. The only reason for the four star rating, rather than five stars, is due to the less than savory food and long wait time from inside the hotel. My husband and I tried the restaurant for dinner twice, the lounge area for sushi once, and a final lunch in the bistro area, and all the meals were extremely slow to arrive, and the food sub par. However, the breakfast buffet is excellent, and the Manager, Carlos, took extraordinary care with us, including the server, Michael. On another positive note; it was our second wedding anniversary, and when I rang up to confirm the reservation, I communicated this, and we were delighted to find complimentary sparkling wine and strawberries waiting in our room upon arrival. This is a lovely resort with polite patrons and staff, creating an atmosphere where one can truly relax.

1 Thank worldtravelingtutor
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

I stay in Marriott hotels for business, and this was my first stay in a Marriott "resort". If you are looking for a resort experience, this is not it. The property is a nice Marriott hotel with a beach; there are few resort-style amenities. Overall, I had a great four nights there, but I want to outline the +/- below.

Positives: The staff is, overall, friendly, helpful, and really fun to talk to (Daniel at the front door, Julie at the indoor bar are two that stood out). If you have platinum status, you receive a packet with some useful coupons for purchases on the property and some other deals. The tropical courtyard outside is lovely in the evening. There were plenty of beach chairs and umbrellas (May 24th weekend). The water is perfect, and the floats out in the water were so great to lounge in. I also loved that the hotel didn't play music super loudly around the pool area like some places do.

Negatives: If you are looking for an incredible room, this property isn't the right place for you. I heard rumor that the property will be updated in August/September this year, and the rooms could definitely use a face lift. The lighting in the bathroom is horrendous (it is very dark in there!). Rooms are a golden yellow color, the drapes are showing age. For being a beach resort, the decor doesn't suggest it. It's the same color palette as the Marriott in Houston or Detroit. The food and drink cost at the property was way higher than expected (especially since prices are listed in Cayman dollars, which are worth more than USD). Two mixed drinks on the beach was $30, and they were pretty watery.

The most frustrating and un-resort moment was when I asked for a bandaid and a few extra from the front desk. The guy (Nico) looked at me and said I had one extra which should be sufficient. I know I am 25 years old and don't look important, but you don't tell a platinum member who spends 100+ nights with your company a year she can't have a few bandaids. Regardless, we are talking bandaids at a place where one night is $250. Unacceptable.

Room Tip: I had a courtyard view room, which was lovely, especially at night. 505 faces inward to the courtyar...
1 Thank Kait414
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

Most staff courteous; front desk very responsive. The property is a 'dive' located on the most rocky part of 7 Mile Beach. Our dresser drawers would not close completely, false panel in the bathroom fell out! Wall sconces in hallway have damaged shades and the whole place from the front door throughout the property is in very poor condition. Bathrooms are dim and ugly. Best part is free Internet access in the lobby. Solana Restaurant food is average but with very slow & inattentive foreign staff. The Asian greeters there hardly speak English. Breakfast (inside) is about $23.00 but cafe across the road to the left serves a great menu from $5.00 during the week that's just as good. Outside bar makes watery drinks (for tourists) and charges for xtra shot if you just want a 'standard' drink. I complained to the manager and they did adjust the bill. Their foreign barmen need to do the island course because they do NOT know how island drinks are supposed to taste. I would never recommend this property if aesthetics are important to you. The walls are paper thin and you can hear people in the next room and rowdy ones below your balcony, shouting as they pass. Not a place for R&R.

Room Tip: Not worth the extra $$ to face the water
3 Thank Erika S
Bodden Town, Grand Cayman
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2013

I can't use the word great but defiantely overall the experience was very good. I frequent the Marriott because they have pretty good packages/deals for locals during low season. This visit was for a one night stay with breakfast for two. The room was very good; great view of the pool. Breakfast at the Red Parrott is always good. Even though the hotel isn't extravagant, the service is great and I always feel very welcome.

Room Tip: Junior suite overlooking the pool/beach.
1 Thank Kristina M
Hoboken, New Jersey, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2013

This was my first trip to Grand Cayman without being on a cruise. I read very mixed things about the hotel so didn't really know what to expect. My partner that I traveled with is a Gold Elite member so staying at the Marriott for us was a no brainer. The Ritz came highly recommended but at almost double the price we didn't see it being worth it.

The pros:
-While a number of people noted the hotel needs to be renovated, honestly, you walked into the hotel and it automatically felt like a Marriott. The hotel was definitely on the smaller side but was kept extremely clean and the staff made up for it as I found them extremely accommodating. One example was that we were traveling with friends who needed 2 double beds. First the front desk said they were sold out. We tried not to make a big deal about this. When they finally got their room keys in a few hours, the front desk attendant was able to accommodate them with this request. Props to them for that!
-A number of people noted that the beach is very small. This is true but we also never had an issue finding chairs. We were a group of 5 people and were always able to find chairs together. Please note also that the hotel was sold out so it wasn't like we were there when the hotel was dead. The hotel also has great towels that hang behind the chair.
-They use umbrellas. If you've been to Aruba, they have palapas which cost $35 per day and there are only a limited number of them. At this hotel, they set up umbrellas for every 2 chairs free of charge. Even during the midday hours, we didn't have an issue getting umbrellas.
-The beach is a public beach. This means you can bring your own drinks/coolers to the beach. An easy way to save money.
-Food. While we didn't eat much at the Marriott, we did eat at the beach bar which was good. They also have a continental breakfast set up, which was nice for a quick bite. Most of our meals we ate off-site. Everyone I talked to said how expensive the meals were. Well, being from New York City, I didn't find the meals to be anymore expensive than I normally pay at home. At times I found it cheap even. One morning we went for breakfast at Treats, which is across the street from the Marriott. We were able to eat for $15 per person, including drinks, tax and gratuity. I don't remember a vacation when I spent so little for breakfast. Other places I recommend to eat is Cracked Conch (which is on the north end of 7 Mile Beach) and Deckers.
-I would recommend buying alcohol before leaving the states. There is no liquor store in the airport that you can go to after departing the plane and the liquor stores around the island is more expensive than you would expect it to be.
-Wifi is extensive throughout the island so an international cell phone or even data plan is not necessary.
-I give props to Arlene and Paula with the concierge. You get an email from them prior to your trip and are extremely helpful during the trip. They made dinner reservations for us without an issue and called us everyday on our trip to make sure we didn't need anything else.
-If you feel comfortable renting a car, definitely do that. There is an Avis at the hotel. We used our corporate rate for $28/day. Much cheaper than taking cabs. But keep in mind, they drive on the other side of the road.
-Upon check-in, our room wasn't ready. They give you a cell phone and will call you when it is. This is much better than other resorts I've been to where you consistently have to check the front desk to see if it is ready.
-Definitely get an oceanfront room. We had room 328, which is right above the pool. This was a much better location than being by the bar. Also, note there are no trees blocking the view so even if you are not up high, you still get a good view.
-Free business center, including free printing. This is a very big plus if you are looking to stay here on business.
-As other people have noted, the snorkeling is great. The fish right outside of the Marriott are so used to getting fed, that as soon as you start snorkeling, they come right up to you and will swim alongside with you. Another great snorkeling site is Cemetery Beach, which is several miles north of the Marriott.
-Location. Walking distance to multiple bars & restaurants, including Camana Bay. Very safe to walk so check how far you're going first before getting into a cab as it may be within walking distance.

Cons
-My one big con with the hotel as many other prior guests have pointed out is that as a Gold member, we really weren't treated any differently than anyone else. They do give you various coupons for being an elite member, which was nice, but you didn't get any of the perks you, as a Gold Member, are used to.
-My other con, which isn't really a con, is the hotel will be undergoing an extensive renovation beginning in July. It will take 3 years so the hotel won't be shut down but various services will be so before you book this hotel, I would call to see how extensive it will be at the time you are visiting.

Overall, a great stay and can't wait to go back!!

Room Tip: Rooms above the pool are quieter. Stay oceanfront!
1 Thank Harris M
Hays, Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2013

Let me start by saying that I would not call this property a "resort". This is a nice Marriott hotel on the beach.

The lobby area is very nice and open and features a small business center area. The wireless internet is free only in this area. Internet in this hotel is very expensive and paid by the day. Wireless does not reach to the beach and may not reach to the pool area.

The rooms are average size and somewhat dated. We paid extra to upgrade to a partial ocean view room on the 5th floor. I would not do this again. It is not worth the extra money. Partial ocean view means if you lean out of your balcony and look to the left, you can see a part of the ocean. The room balcony is very small, maybe 8' x 4'. Only 2 small patio chairs and on small cocktail table. Our room air conditioner did not perform very well, and could not get the humidity out of the room, leaving us a very damp sticky environment. We had a king bed that was nice. Very limited areas for clothes storage. One small closet and 3 small drawers that's all. The desk in the room is average. Our room featured a pull out couch and small coffee table, and also had a small micro fridge that was nice and worked. Single serve coffee was nice and worked. The bathroom is average. Single sink, with tub shower combo, and very dim lighting. Nothing special here.

As others have mentioned prices for drinks are very expensive so be ready ! The hotel has a very nice gift shop in the lobby that is - believe it or not- very reasonably priced. Some nice clothes, hats, etc can be found here. Don't be afraid to check this out.

The property has a beautiful turtle sanctuary type water feature that you walk through leaving the lobby on the way to the pool or beach. This area is lit up nicely at night. You will walk through this area on the way to the pool and outdoor accommodations.

The hotel has a nice sports desk located here where you can book everything from parasailing, snorkeling, and jet skis. There is also a outdoor connivence stand that features munchies and water to buy or charge to your room.

The pool here is very small (almost Motel 6 type), and I can't comment on the service in this area because it did not look appealing at all. Only a few lounge chairs can be had around the pool.

To the right of the pool is the outdoor bar / table seating area. This is right along the beach and is very nice place to have lunch or a snack while wearing beach attire. The beach bar area is nice size and has the most friendly staff on the property!! These guys and gals are fun and always smiling. The service is outstanding.

There is a restaurant located adjacent to this area that is very nice, features specials each night, and is open late till 10pm. The food here was good. I read several reviews about the all you can eat "lobster night" here, so we went. I would say this meal was ok, but not outstanding. When we were there this was a popular night to dine so all the tables were full. Service that night was slower than usual but ok. The menu features several seafood entrees and yes a smaller caribbean lobster. I tried each of the items on the menu as the portions are small but very tasty! It took about 20 min each time we ordered a item. We were there 2.5hrs from start to finish, so don't make this night a fast night. That being said, room service here is quick and reasonably priced. One night we ordered a pizza, and twice we ordered breakfast. Good service with hot and tasty food.

The beach area on this property is very nice. Chairs are very easy to get and the staff here will set you up with your personal umbrella at a moments notice. The outstanding/ hard working staff here will take good care of you and offers a full beverage/food service to your chair.

I would highly recommend that you check out a snorkel and mask and venture out to explore the ocean at this beach. This property built a very large artificial reef area 20' out from the beach. This reef is exploding with beautiful ocean life and very worth grabbing a mask to see. I can say that I have not seen this type of ocean / reef / beach / hotel set up before, and I walked along Seven Mile beach and did not see this anywhere else. Again, you will not be disappointed.

I would also like to mention that the concierge service is good, and the door men are outstanding! These guys know everything about the area and will set you up with good suggestions if you just ask !! Cabs are very easy to get as they are parked waiting on the property.

Should you choose to venture out on a nice walk, many restaurants are located within a 10 min walk either direction from the hotel. We walked both directions and took in several restaurants during our stay and were very glad we did! You really don't need a cab if you can walk a easy mile walk.

I will say that the entire time we were in Grand Cayman we felt safe. I really can't explain it better than that. The people here were -all- very friendly with no exceptions from the connivence store clerk, to the cab drivers.

To summarize, the hotel is not a resort, but located in a great place along "Seven Mile" beach. The rooms are average, and the price to upgrade to a partial ocean view is not worth it. The service is outstanding and ALL of the staff is super friendly!! The beach area is beautiful. The underwater reef and snorkeling in this area should not be missed. The drink prices will choke you, but the food is great.

We would stay here again.

Room Tip: Price for a partial ocean view room is not worth it.
1 Thank jhaleyusa