“Relaxing and beautiful”

GreenLeadersGold level
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Relaxing and beautiful”
Reviewed 8 November 2013

My husband and I recently stayed here and can't say enough good things! The staff was nice and friendly and all around wonderful. The hotel is in a great location and there are great restaurants and shops within walking distance. The first night we were in Grand Cayman we had a private dinner on the beach. It was pricey, but worth paying for. The sunset is incredible!
We went to the beach early each morning and it was not too busy. I purchased fish food from the gift shop and feed the fish each morning. The guys that worked in the beach area were quick to offer umbrellas and were helpful to talk to.
Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Shines78

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,526)
  • Polish first
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Let me begin by stating two things, I am used to getting great deals on 4 & 5 star hotels & I usually stay at high caliber resorts or AmEx fine hotels in the Caribbean. If you are like me, you will be disappointed with this establishment. I don't usually stay at Marriotts for vacation, but gave this a try because of the reviews, the Westin was booked & I was told the Ritz wasn't on the beach. It is clear that some of the great reviews are planted b/c they don't mention the beach. The staff is pleasant, but inefficient. Not provided with a list of resort services at check-in. At 4-star resorts, you receive a welcome package at check-in. I am used to receiving a basic welcome letter, information on resort amenities and brochures upon check-in. I rated the value poor because I am used to getting superior service & quality for the price. The beach photos are an optical illusion. The BEACH IS ALMOST NON-EXISTENT for a resort this size & over crowded. PEOPLE ARE ON TOP OF EACH OTHER. That said, I was still on the beach for over a hour before I decided to ask the beach attendant if anyone was working. The newly renovated room, lobby, bar/lounge are good. This hotel is okay, but not 4 or 5 star.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank MrsY_2010
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed 7 November 2013

The hotel was nice our room was spacious and we were given a partial view of the ocean. The elevators are really far from the rooms, but after a few days we figured out there were other elevator options closer by but wouldn't have known that unless we poked around. The hotel food is super expensive so I would just go to Coconut Joe's across the street where they serve breakfast, lunch and dinner. There are other options outside of the resort as well.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mari1327
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Beautiful location on the beach. Restaurants on site with a nice happy hour. Conveniently located within walking distance of restaurants and other amenities. Attentive staff, nice rooms. Prices are a little high, but its Grand Cayman so that should be expected.

I'm not sure what else you could ask for on a vacation.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jon C
Houston, Texas, United States
Reviewed 4 November 2013

The parking lot can be a headache if you have your own vehicle. Once you get past that, check in is a breeze. The large open area on the first floor is nice and directly adjacent to one of the restaurants and a bar. The shop is well stocked and reasonably priced. The rooms are ok but not compelling. The garden area is very nice and well kept. The outside restaurant and bar are both nice, but the restaurant is a bit overpriced. None of the meat items I purchased including steak and burgers were particularly great. I will mention that the pineapple at the outdoor bar was absolutely unbelievable and the best fruit I have ever tasted.
Of course, the main attraction is the beach. Absolutely stunning views of the Caribbean. The water is unbelievable and the false reefs are full of tropical fish. (Bring bread and they will swarm you!) There is usually enough room on the beach but it can get crowded. Expect to see a wedding or two if you stay more than a few days.
There are several night clubs either immediately adjacent to the property or within a short walking distance. Jet is a personal favorite, and is right across the street.
Overall, the Marriott is nice and competitively priced. There are certainly better deals out there but this is definitely a good place to consider when visiting Grand Cayman.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank anthonyh320
George Town, null, Cayman Islands
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I am a resident of Grand Cayman. In October 2013 my husband and I attended a high-profile event at the hotel for which I always take back-up gowns in case of accidental spills during dinner. When we checked out the next day I inadvertently left my evening gowns. Although I returned to the hotel that very evening, and despite several meetings with hotel managers, my gowns simply never turned up. One manager even had the gall to ask me if I was sure I didn't have them! Although other services at the hotel were great, they were all over-shadowed by the deplorable attitude of the various managers. Please make sure you do not leave anything behind at the Grand Cayman property. The organizers of the annual event we attended will likely be looking for another venue as well.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Cynthia W
New York City, New York
Reviewed 4 November 2013

My husband and I just returned from a three night stay here. From the moment we arrived until the second we left, we enjoyed first class service, friendly staff, beautiful sunsets, comfortable accomodations, and would come back here in a second as well as recommend it to family and friends. I was a bit nervous because I had read some reviews that said the rooms were "dated" but our room was fresh and new, spacious, and had a nice terrace overlooking the courtyard area. It appears that they are renovating all of the rooms so don't be nervous. You can do a lot of things here or a lot of nothing. Snorkel right off the beach, rent a paddle board or jet ski or just sit in a float in the ocean and soak up the sun. The sunsets, oh the sunsets...they are by far the nicest I've seen. Make sure you stay on the beach for at least one (and watch the cruise ships depart Grand Cayman). Anything you need, someone will help you and they'll smile doing it. The staff couldn't have been nicer or more attentive. We loved the lagoon that ran down through the courtyard to the beach with turtles sunning themselves on rocks. We also loved the onsite beach activities vendor: no travelling to offsite locations. We paddle boarded and absolutely loved the jet ski/snorkel tour (highly recommended!!). The activities coordinator in the lobby helped us book a horseback ride on the beach. Anything you need you can find in the shop in the lobby. Shops are also within walking distance if you want to stock up on snacks and drinks for the room fridge. Area around the hotel is safe & clean. You'll feel comfortable walking around or taking the local bus into Georgetown. We ate at the beach restaurant twice for lunch and thoroughly enjoyed the food and the service. I can't say enough nice things about this hotel. This was our first time on Grand Cayman and I hope it wasn't our last.

Room Tip: The rooms closest to the beach are also furthest away from the elevators. If you have trouble walkin...