“Disappointed with the room.”

Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Disappointed with the room.”
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Considering the fact that I've spent over 60 nights in 4&5 star hotels last year and four nights here over the course of a weekend cost over $2500 the rooms were not good enough. Could this be because reservations made through Marriott directly may get preferential treatment to the reservation we made via hotels.com? Perhaps.. I requested a different room on three occasions but no luck.
Set the alarm for 7am to bag a beach chair and I'd probably skip the buccaneers buffet which they hold on a Friday night - pretty lame show.
Recommend Ortanique for good dining and Southern Spice, Cracked Conch and sunset grill for more casual and inexpensive dining options.
GC was a great location itself - locals very friendly, no hassle, beautiful beaches, great snorkelling...

Room Tip: Hope you have better luck than I did.
1 Thank running_bull_7
Marriott_GrandCayman, Manager at Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Dear running_bull_7, thank you for taking the time to provide a review of our hotel. We appreciate all comments that will help improve upon the experiences of our future guests. We do our best to position ourselves in the market so that we offer the most competitive rates to our guests so I am so sorry to hear that you felt that you did not receive good value for your money. I would also like to reassure you that all our customers are treated equally, regardless of whether they made their reservations directly on Marriott.com or through other booking channels.

I truly regret that you were disappointed in the accommodation offered to you and I apologize that we could not upgrade you during your stay with us. You may be interested to hear that we will be undergoing an extensive renovation in September, which will include our lobby, restaurants as well as other communal areas. Despite your disappointment during this particular visit, we hope that you will consider coming back in the future to enjoy the enhancements to the hotel.

With regards to your comment on having to go to the beach early to reserve a sun lounger, we are making every effort to ensure that our guests uphold the one-hour rule. We want our guests to get the most out of their beach house experience, so if our attendants notice that a sun lounger has been ‘reserved’ with a towel or personal effects, then he / she will remove the items after one hour if the lounger is not being used.

Again we sincerely apologize that your recent experience did not meet your expectations. You are welcome to contact me personally if you want to discuss this further. You can email at ingrid.chaves@marriott.com or call me on (345) 949-0088.

Ingrid Chaves, Director of Rooms Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,526)
  • Polish first
Midwest
Reviewed 12 March 2014 via mobile

We had a great vacation. Hotel room was recently updated. Staff were friendly and helpful. Hotel is located within walking distance to town and restaurants. We have stayed here previously and will stay here again. We love Grand Cayman and the Marriott is a very nice hotel.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Marriott_GrandCayman, Manager at Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Dear tberch, thank you for sharing your positive comments on your recent stay with us. We are delighted that you had a great vacation!

We appreciate you noticing that our rooms have been recently refurbished. You may be interested to hear that we will be undergoing phase two of our renovations, which will include our lobby, restaurants and communal areas. It is going to be spectacular and we are really looking forward to showing it off during your next visit to Cayman!

As you mentioned, our location on Seven Mile beach is ideal with its proximity to Camana Bay, Georgetown and a number of shopping centers being only a stone’s throw away. Plus you can’t beat our beachfront and our spectacular view of the turquoise blue ocean! Did you have the chance to discover the Artificial Reef Project, which is just a short swim away from our beachfront? Our guests always comment on how much they enjoy snorkeling and exploring the man-made reef balls and admiring the colorful fish that surround the area.

Thank you for your loyalty and we look forward to welcoming you back to our beautiful island again very soon!

Rochester, New York
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I would come here a 100 times over. Everyone treats us like royalty. Awesome beach. Great restaurants! Great room. No complaints. Best food I've ever eaten. Great snorkeling right from the hotel. Fun activities and specials. Public transportation groceries and liquor store in walking distance.

Room Tip: We just had a standard room but the view from our balcony is still gorgeous.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank hollyw123
Dear hollyw123, thank you for your glowing review of our hotel. We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us and it really is the best compliment to hear that you would come and stay with us a hundred times over!

We think our staff is the best in Cayman so I am delighted to hear that you felt you were treated like royalty. Our aim is to evoke the happy nostalgia of summers gone by. We hope to do this by providing the right ambience for you to unwind and savor special moments with loved ones. Did you have the chance to experience a bonfire on the beach? It is one of my favorite activities as it brings back such happy childhood memories. And what goes better with a bonfire but S’mores! It really is a great way to re-connect with family and friends.

As you mentioned, the location of our hotel is ideal with its proximity to Camana Bay, Georgetown and a number of shopping centers. Did you have the opportunity to take advantage of our free bike rentals? We encourage our guests to explore all the wonderful places nearby and we can even provide picnic baskets with delicious food to take on your journey!

Thank you again for choosing to stay with us and we hope to welcome you back to our beautiful island again in the near future.

Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 11 March 2014

We travel often to Grand Cayman and even though we didn't stay at the hotel, we were dining at Solana restaurant once a day it seems. The Pirate night was so fun and the service was amazing. Stephanie took great care of us, bringing us as much lobster as we wanted on all you can eat lobster night. Yes, there is such a thing! The entire team was incredibly friendly and accommodating. The managers were very personalized and involved, Bernal and Marc chatted with us at our table every time we were there. Next time we go back to Grand Cayman, we will make our stay at the Marriott.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank 2Beachpirates
Dear 2Beachpirates, thank you for taking the time to provide a review of your recent dining experiences with us. We are delighted that you enjoyed your meals at Solana!

I agree, the Pirates and Buccaneer’s Feast is so much fun! I went a few weeks ago and I loved the pasta station where you can pick and choose any pasta and sauce you like. There was so much variety that I had to go back for seconds (even thirds, but who is counting?) And the entertainment is great with the live band and pirates interacting with all the guests.

Indeed, the Unlimited Lobster Night is not to be missed. Did you have the chance to taste the Lobster Mac & Cheese? It is my favorite. At Solana, we strive to offer fresh, simple and innovative dishes and I think the Lobster Night is the perfect example of this.

And thank you for your positive comments about our staff being incredibly friendly and accommodating. I will pass on your compliments to Bernal and Marc – they will be thrilled to learn that you found them very personalized and involved.

You may be interested to hear that we will be undergoing a major renovation in September, involving the lobby, restaurants and other communal areas. We expect the upgrades to be spectacular! We hope to have the chance to welcome you as a guest in the near future so you can enjoy all the enhancements to the hotel.

Hamburg, New Jersey
Reviewed 11 March 2014

My husband and I were looking for the perfect Caribbean Island for a relaxing vacation, and we found it on the first try!! The Marriott Resort is conveniently located on a beautiful beach, but what made this trip so special is the excellent service and genuinely friendly staff. They all give new meaning to customer service!! We especially want to thank Courtney and Nelson for their help with luggage during check in/out. The wait staff at Sol Beach Bar became like friends in a few short days, especially Hannah, Lisa, Dil and Rodrigo. In all, the food, service and atmosphere are five star! We will be back next year for sure!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Marriott_GrandCayman, Manager at Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Dear Diane P, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your Caribbean vacation with us! Like you said, the location of the Marriott Grand Cayman on Seven Mile beach is ideal with its proximity to Camana Bay, Georgetown and a number of shopping centers. Plus you can’t beat our spectacular view of the turquoise blue ocean! Did you have the chance to experience the Artificial Reef Project, which is just a short swim from the hotel’s beachfront? Many of our guests tell us that they really enjoy exploring the man-made reef balls and often bring breadcrumbs to feed the colorful fish that surround the area. It is an experience that shouldn’t be missed!

Thank you also for your kind comments about our excellent customer service and genuinely friendly staff. I will pass on your compliments to Courtney, Nelson, Hannah, Lisa, Dil and Rodrigo – they will be delighted to hear that they made a lasting impression on your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our beautiful island again next year!

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I nothing but excellent things to say about the hotel and incredible staff there in Grand Cayman. I have stayed there a total of 3 years, in a row, and it only gets better and better. Everyone there is so friendly and actually know you by name as you walk back in the doors. Every time I visit, I only dread the moment I have to think about packing to come back to the states.

Everything from the excellent rooms, the service at the restaurants, the private (hotel only) beach with the food/drink service, to the most professional front desk employees that go above and beyond their job description to make your stay the best ever!

Can't wait to book my next trip - wouldn't mind going 2-3 times a year :-)

Thank you everyone - my Marriott family!!!

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are incredible, the higher, the better - beautiful views @ sunset
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Jamie S, thank you for taking the time to provide such a glowing review of our hotel. We are thrilled that you love our island and choose to vacation with us year after year!

I live here and I absolutely love it as well! Cayman is one of the most beautiful places in the world and on top of that it is incredibly safe. I have four daughters and I know they are safe whenever they walk along West Bay Road (along Seven Mile Beach). Besides being family-oriented, Cayman offers so many amazing restaurants and bars and has great shopping. Plus you can’t beat Seven Mile Beach – it is one of the most loved beaches across the Caribbean with its warm turquoise waters and soft powdery sand! I really do enjoy living here so I completely agree with your sentiments.

We really appreciate your positive comments about the excellent rooms, our exceptional customer service and the privacy of our beachfront. And I completely agree, I think our staff are the best! They really go out of their way to help our guests create meaningful memories.

You may be interested to hear that our lobby, restaurants, fitness center and meeting rooms will be undergoing a massive renovation in September so the next time you see us the hotel is going to be better than ever! We are really looking forward to welcoming you back very soon so you can enjoy the spectacular enhancements to the hotel.

From all of us (your Marriott family!) thank you again for your loyalty and we will see you next year!

Enrique Tasende, General Manager
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 10 March 2014

The service at this hotel was absolutely impeccable. The facilities are gorgeous and the food was wonderful. Location is absolutely amazing and the snorkeling off the beach was easy and full of pompano, angelfish and snappers and sea urchin. While we were there during peak season, we had trouble finding lounge chairs at the beach. You definitely have to get up early and 'save' your seat if you want a good spot. They also charged a 35 dollar resort fee which did not include free WiFi in our rooms- only the main lobby.

Room Tip: We stayed in 253 which was a garden view but a quick staircase to the pool and beach area.
2 Thank Lisbeth2121
Marriott_GrandCayman, Manager at Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Dear Lisbeth2121, thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your vacation with us!

We are also thrilled to learn that you felt the service at the hotel was impeccable. I personally feel that we have the best staff in Cayman – they are some of the most attentive, kind and professional people I know and I am glad to hear that they made a lasting impression on your stay with us.

I also really appreciate your positive feedback about our food. We strive to offer fresh, simple and innovative dishes. By offering various theme nights, we feel that we can really showcase a diverse range of different cuisines. Did you have the chance to enjoy Taco Night at the lounge? It is one of my favorite nights! We received a lot of comments from our guests saying how much they enjoyed our lobster and fish tacos so we decided to dedicate a whole evening to it!

However, I am so sorry to hear that you had trouble finding lounge chairs at the beach. This is something that we are working on improving as soon as possible.

I would like to thank you for choosing Marriott and we hope to welcome you back to our beautiful island again in the near future!