“Great Vibe”

GreenLeadersGold level
Dundee, United Kingdom
“Great Vibe”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014

Great beach front located hotel with a relaxed informal manner and feel. All staff were extremely upbeat and helpful when called upon. Great variety of eating and drinking opportunities. All in all a first class experience.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Marriott_GrandCayman, Manager at Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Dear David D, thank you for taking the time to provide a review of our hotel. We are delighted that you felt you had a first class experience! We also appreciate your comments on our staff being extremely upbeat and helpful. I genuinely think we have the friendliest and kindest staff in Cayman so I am glad to hear that you noticed it too!

As you mentioned, our location on Seven Mile Beach has a great beachfront. Our aim is to provide our guests with the ultimate beach house experience by evoking the happy nostalgia of summers gone by. Did you have the chance to watch a few sunsets from the beach during you stay? We like to make a ‘ritual’ out of it by setting up colorful chairs and sofas right along the beachfront at the end of the day so guests have the perfect picture opportunity as the sun goes down. We also host a couple bonfire nights during the week and hand out ingredients for guests to make S’mores. It is one of my favorite activities!

Thank you again for choosing us and we hope to welcome you back to our beautiful island again very soon!

Ingrid Chaves, Director of Rooms Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,465)
  • Polish first
Fairfax, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

Prior to leaving on our first time trip to the caymans, I read some bad reviews about the Marriott. Don't believe them. Best vacation ever - fantastic staff, relaxed atmosphere, family friendly, great room, and easy to get around the island if you want to venture out. Hotel offers free bikes, there are local buses ( cheap and fun way to get around), and plenty of restaurants, supermarket and liquor stores in walking distance. It is an expensive island but it's nice to be able to safely venture out of the resort in a safe environment. Locals are great!

Will definitely be back. Hate to leave Mann.

Room Tip: Courtyard rooms are quiet.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank BCAV2014
Dear BCAV2014, thank you for sharing your positive comments about your recent experience with us. It is a fantastic compliment to hear that you had the best vacation ever!

I completely agree with you about Cayman being a safe environment. As a resident of this beautiful island, one of the things that I love about it is that it is so family-oriented and safe. I have four daughters and I completely trust that they are safe when they walk along West Bay Road and Seven Mile Beach. And you are right, the location of our hotel is ideal with its proximity to Camana Bay and Georgetown as well as a number of shopping centers being only a stone’s throw away.

I am also glad to hear that you were able to take advantage of our free bike rentals. Last summer I took my family on a vacation to Tuscany. We rented bikes and explored the beautiful Italian countryside and had the most amazing time together. It is funny that although we ride our bikes when we are at home in Cayman, we never get the opportunity to go out on a beautiful breezy morning and ride together. This experience inspired me to get some bikes for our hotel. I wanted our guests to experience reconnecting with their family they way I did in Tuscany. I am so glad you were able to do this and enjoy this activity with your family.

Thank you again for choosing Marriott and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Enrique Tasende, General Manager
Palm Bay, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

Wow, My family thoroughly enjoyed our breakfast this morning and to think the kids ate for $11 and we didn't have to feed them until late that afternoon. Marc was very helpful as my wife is a vegetarian he served up an amazing omelet for her dietary needs. We are staying at The Discovery Point Club on 7 mile beach however next year we will be booking our vacation at The Marriott. Best service as my family felt cared for and treated warmly by the staff. Hats off to Carlos the manager and Kendra who brought my wife and I coffees to go without us having to ask. How did she know it takes me at least four coffees to get going in the morning?

Thanks Red Parrot you have earned our vote for Best Local Unlimited Breakfast Buffet on island!!

Keep up the good work!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank John R
Dear John R, thank you for sharing your comments about your recent dining experience with us at the Red Parrot. We are delighted to hear that you and the family enjoyed the unlimited breakfast buffet!

The next time you come to Cayman, you should check out breakfast at Solana, on our beachfront. You can choose from Caribbean Eggs Benedict, “All you can eat” Almond Pancakes and the Lobster Omelet (just to name a few). Plus you can’t beat the view of the beautiful turquoise blue ocean while you enjoy your cup of coffee. It really is the best way to kick off your day!

I will make sure to pass on your compliments to Marc, Carlos and Kendra, they will be thrilled to hear that their excellent service made a lasting impression during your time with us.

You may be interested to hear that we will be undergoing phase two of our renovations in September, which will include our lobby, restaurants and other communal areas. It is going to be
spectacular and we are really looking forward to unveiling the enhancements to our hotel during your next visit to Cayman.

Thank you again for providing such a positive review and we will see you next year!

Cincinnati
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

The Marriott at the Grand Caymans is absolutely fantastic! I stayed in a renovated room, and it was very clean, quiet, and comfortable. This staff is so friendly, caring, and respectful. Hannah at the beach was an absolute treat with a friendly smile. When we needed lunch or a beverage, she was there! Courtney set up our umbrella, and he was such a gentleman. He looks like Samuel Jackson from the movies. Paulette was a woman who made up our room. She was so sweet, friendly, and accommodating. Even Rocky, the Security guard, introduced himself and offered to take a picture and escort us to the restaurant. He was a pleasure. Our breakfast server today was Anna, and I really enjoyed her personality and caring nature.

The food at the restaurant was excellent and the beach is clean with azure water. I would highly recommend to anyone who is interested in a fantastic trip.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Dear a2brutea, thank you for taking the time to provide such a positive review of our hotel. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us!

We really appreciate your comments on the friendliness of our staff. I think we have the best employees in Cayman so it is wonderful to hear that they made a lasting impression on your visit. I will make sure to pass on your encouraging feedback to Hannah, Courtney (he will also be delighted to learn that you think he looks like Samuel L Jackson!), Paulette, Rocky and Anna.

I am also glad to hear that you enjoyed your dining experiences at the hotel. We strive to offer fresh, simple and innovative dishes. By offering various theme nights, we feel that we can really showcase a diverse range of cuisines. Were you able to enjoy Sushi Night at the lounge? Our sushi chef just came back from an exploratory trip from California to discover the best ways of preparing sushi. I think he makes the best sushi on the island!

Thank you again for highly recommending our hotel and we hope to have the chance to welcome you back to our beautiful island again in the near future!

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

Considering the fact that I've spent over 60 nights in 4&5 star hotels last year and four nights here over the course of a weekend cost over $2500 the rooms were not good enough. Could this be because reservations made through Marriott directly may get preferential treatment to the reservation we made via hotels.com? Perhaps.. I requested a different room on three occasions but no luck.
Set the alarm for 7am to bag a beach chair and I'd probably skip the buccaneers buffet which they hold on a Friday night - pretty lame show.
Recommend Ortanique for good dining and Southern Spice, Cracked Conch and sunset grill for more casual and inexpensive dining options.
GC was a great location itself - locals very friendly, no hassle, beautiful beaches, great snorkelling...

Room Tip: Hope you have better luck than I did.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank running_bull_7
Dear running_bull_7, thank you for taking the time to provide a review of our hotel. We appreciate all comments that will help improve upon the experiences of our future guests. We do our best to position ourselves in the market so that we offer the most competitive rates to our guests so I am so sorry to hear that you felt that you did not receive good value for your money. I would also like to reassure you that all our customers are treated equally, regardless of whether they made their reservations directly on Marriott.com or through other booking channels.

I truly regret that you were disappointed in the accommodation offered to you and I apologize that we could not upgrade you during your stay with us. You may be interested to hear that we will be undergoing an extensive renovation in September, which will include our lobby, restaurants as well as other communal areas. Despite your disappointment during this particular visit, we hope that you will consider coming back in the future to enjoy the enhancements to the hotel.

With regards to your comment on having to go to the beach early to reserve a sun lounger, we are making every effort to ensure that our guests uphold the one-hour rule. We want our guests to get the most out of their beach house experience, so if our attendants notice that a sun lounger has been ‘reserved’ with a towel or personal effects, then he / she will remove the items after one hour if the lounger is not being used.

Again we sincerely apologize that your recent experience did not meet your expectations. You are welcome to contact me personally if you want to discuss this further. You can email at ingrid.chaves@marriott.com or call me on (345) 949-0088.

Midwest
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014 via mobile

We had a great vacation. Hotel room was recently updated. Staff were friendly and helpful. Hotel is located within walking distance to town and restaurants. We have stayed here previously and will stay here again. We love Grand Cayman and the Marriott is a very nice hotel.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Marriott_GrandCayman, Manager at Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Dear tberch, thank you for sharing your positive comments on your recent stay with us. We are delighted that you had a great vacation!

We appreciate you noticing that our rooms have been recently refurbished. You may be interested to hear that we will be undergoing phase two of our renovations, which will include our lobby, restaurants and communal areas. It is going to be spectacular and we are really looking forward to showing it off during your next visit to Cayman!

As you mentioned, our location on Seven Mile beach is ideal with its proximity to Camana Bay, Georgetown and a number of shopping centers being only a stone’s throw away. Plus you can’t beat our beachfront and our spectacular view of the turquoise blue ocean! Did you have the chance to discover the Artificial Reef Project, which is just a short swim away from our beachfront? Our guests always comment on how much they enjoy snorkeling and exploring the man-made reef balls and admiring the colorful fish that surround the area.

Thank you for your loyalty and we look forward to welcoming you back to our beautiful island again very soon!

Rochester, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014

I would come here a 100 times over. Everyone treats us like royalty. Awesome beach. Great restaurants! Great room. No complaints. Best food I've ever eaten. Great snorkeling right from the hotel. Fun activities and specials. Public transportation groceries and liquor store in walking distance.

Room Tip: We just had a standard room but the view from our balcony is still gorgeous.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank hollyw123
Dear hollyw123, thank you for your glowing review of our hotel. We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us and it really is the best compliment to hear that you would come and stay with us a hundred times over!

We think our staff is the best in Cayman so I am delighted to hear that you felt you were treated like royalty. Our aim is to evoke the happy nostalgia of summers gone by. We hope to do this by providing the right ambience for you to unwind and savor special moments with loved ones. Did you have the chance to experience a bonfire on the beach? It is one of my favorite activities as it brings back such happy childhood memories. And what goes better with a bonfire but S’mores! It really is a great way to re-connect with family and friends.

As you mentioned, the location of our hotel is ideal with its proximity to Camana Bay, Georgetown and a number of shopping centers. Did you have the opportunity to take advantage of our free bike rentals? We encourage our guests to explore all the wonderful places nearby and we can even provide picnic baskets with delicious food to take on your journey!

Thank you again for choosing to stay with us and we hope to welcome you back to our beautiful island again in the near future.