“Lovely Experience”

Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 14 March 2014

We can't say enough about the staff at this hotel. They were excellently trained and sincerely concerned about whether or not we were having a good experience on the property. We were recently part of the winter travel woes of the South Eastern US and ended up spending an additional three nights in Cayman. Our pre booked hotel couldn't keep us for the additional nights, but the Marriott could and they offered us a very nice, comfortable alternative. The rooms are clean, quiet, and spacious. They have won us over and we will book here before we head back to any other 5 star properties on the island.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Marriott_GrandCayman, Manager at Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

Dear Anne T, thank you for sharing your recent experience of our hotel. We really appreciate your kind comments about our excellently trained staff and our clean, quiet and spacious rooms.

I am so sorry to hear that you were affected by the winter travel chaos that slammed the South Eastern States but are glad that you had the chance to extend your vacation and stay with us!

Especially nowadays, there is so much stress that goes along with travelling – from dealing with tight security procedures at the airport and getting on a cramped and uncomfortable plane to arriving at your destination only to be welcomed by lines to get through Immigration and Customs, retrieve your luggage and even to catch a taxi – we know that that the ‘beginning’ of a vacation is not usually fun.

But once you get to our hotel, we want all of the stress of travelling to melt away. We want you to feel that you have finally ‘arrived’ and your vacation has officially begun. We are thrilled to hear that you will be considering us as your accommodation of choice during your next visit to our beautiful island.

I love the picture that you posted with your review! What I really like about our hotel is that it is close to nature. We have a number of native creatures that live in our Turtle Lagoon and roam the gardens on our property (making great photo opportunities!)

Thank you again for choosing Marriott and we are looking forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Reviewed 14 March 2014

The Marriott Beach Resort is a decent family hotel with good service, adequate amenities, and a prime location on 7 Mile Beach. The beach is outstanding and they have a lot of real estate on it. Good snorkeling is available right in front of the hotel, and along with plentiful beach chairs and a number of anchored floats in the water. I can't say enough about the beach, but there are a few annoyances at the hotel. The first is that every place that should otherwise be tranquil, such as the beach front or the courtyard turtle lagoon, has a constant Bob Marley soundtrack that shatters an otherwise peaceful setting. Next, their gym is characteristically terrible: six aerobic machines (treadmills/elipticals) and a rack of dumbbells - no plate machines or other reasonable strength equipment. Finally, while they have plenty of beach chairs, you have to get to the beach EARLY to get one because the people who stay there will go down to the beach at first light, "reserve" the chairs by putting towels on them, and then disappear for the better part of the morning (and sometimes into the afternoon as well). Although I have seen other hotels on 7 Mile Beach with signs limiting reservation of beach chairs to one hour, the Marriott has no policy in place to address this decidedly inconsiderate practice. That being said, the hotel is good for families (we avoided the child-infested "pee pool and hot tub"), has good restaurants (pricey), and a delightfully cheerful staff. If you are looking for a place to bring the kids, the Marriott Beach Resort is a good bet. If you want a relaxing, quiet, and tranquil place with calming ocean sounds that is free of a constant Bob Marley soundtrack, there are better options.

Room Tip: The garden rooms are nice, the beachfront rooms are really where you want to be.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank PatchMeister
Marriott_GrandCayman, Manager at Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2014

Dear PatchMeister, thank you for taking the time to provide a review of our hotel. We are glad to hear that you and your family enjoyed your vacation in Cayman. We appreciate your kind comments about our good service, prime location and outstanding beach.

However, I am so sorry to hear that you did not like the music being played at our beachfront and courtyard. I have shared your comments with the team and we are looking into changing it. Regarding our fitness center, you may be interested to learn that we will be undergoing a major renovation in September of all our communal areas, including the lobby, restaurants and fitness center. It will have the most up to date exercise equipment as well as the most spectacular view of the turquoise ocean. It is going to look fantastic and we hope to have the opportunity to show it off to you during your next visit!

In relation to your comment about having to go to the beach early to reserve a sun lounger, I would like to reassure you that we do have a policy in place (which can be read on a placard located next to the Towel Hut) to deal with the situation. We want to make sure that guests are getting the most out of their beach house experience, so if our attendants notice that a sun lounger has been ‘reserved’ with a towel or personal effects, then he / she will remove the items after one hour if the lounger is not being used. However I am so sorry to hear that you were affected by this. I have raised your concerns with the team and we are going to do everything we can to continue enforcing this our one-hour rule.

Thank you again for choosing Marriott and we hope to welcome you back to our beautiful island again in the near future.

Reviewed 14 March 2014

Great beach front located hotel with a relaxed informal manner and feel. All staff were extremely upbeat and helpful when called upon. Great variety of eating and drinking opportunities. All in all a first class experience.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Marriott_GrandCayman, Manager at Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Dear David D, thank you for taking the time to provide a review of our hotel. We are delighted that you felt you had a first class experience! We also appreciate your comments on our staff being extremely upbeat and helpful. I genuinely think we have the friendliest and kindest staff in Cayman so I am glad to hear that you noticed it too!

As you mentioned, our location on Seven Mile Beach has a great beachfront. Our aim is to provide our guests with the ultimate beach house experience by evoking the happy nostalgia of summers gone by. Did you have the chance to watch a few sunsets from the beach during you stay? We like to make a ‘ritual’ out of it by setting up colorful chairs and sofas right along the beachfront at the end of the day so guests have the perfect picture opportunity as the sun goes down. We also host a couple bonfire nights during the week and hand out ingredients for guests to make S’mores. It is one of my favorite activities!

Thank you again for choosing us and we hope to welcome you back to our beautiful island again very soon!

Reviewed 13 March 2014

Prior to leaving on our first time trip to the caymans, I read some bad reviews about the Marriott. Don't believe them. Best vacation ever - fantastic staff, relaxed atmosphere, family friendly, great room, and easy to get around the island if you want to venture out. Hotel offers free bikes, there are local buses ( cheap and fun way to get around), and plenty of restaurants, supermarket and liquor stores in walking distance. It is an expensive island but it's nice to be able to safely venture out of the resort in a safe environment. Locals are great!

Will definitely be back. Hate to leave Mann.

Room Tip: Courtyard rooms are quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank BCAV2014

Dear BCAV2014, thank you for sharing your positive comments about your recent experience with us. It is a fantastic compliment to hear that you had the best vacation ever!

I completely agree with you about Cayman being a safe environment. As a resident of this beautiful island, one of the things that I love about it is that it is so family-oriented and safe. I have four daughters and I completely trust that they are safe when they walk along West Bay Road and Seven Mile Beach. And you are right, the location of our hotel is ideal with its proximity to Camana Bay and Georgetown as well as a number of shopping centers being only a stone’s throw away.

I am also glad to hear that you were able to take advantage of our free bike rentals. Last summer I took my family on a vacation to Tuscany. We rented bikes and explored the beautiful Italian countryside and had the most amazing time together. It is funny that although we ride our bikes when we are at home in Cayman, we never get the opportunity to go out on a beautiful breezy morning and ride together. This experience inspired me to get some bikes for our hotel. I wanted our guests to experience reconnecting with their family they way I did in Tuscany. I am so glad you were able to do this and enjoy this activity with your family.

Thank you again for choosing Marriott and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Enrique Tasende, General Manager

Reviewed 13 March 2014

Wow, My family thoroughly enjoyed our breakfast this morning and to think the kids ate for $11 and we didn't have to feed them until late that afternoon. Marc was very helpful as my wife is a vegetarian he served up an amazing omelet for her dietary needs. We are staying at The Discovery Point Club on 7 mile beach however next year we will be booking our vacation at The Marriott. Best service as my family felt cared for and treated warmly by the staff. Hats off to Carlos the manager and Kendra who brought my wife and I coffees to go without us having to ask. How did she know it takes me at least four coffees to get going in the morning?

Thanks Red Parrot you have earned our vote for Best Local Unlimited Breakfast Buffet on island!!

Keep up the good work!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank John R

Dear John R, thank you for sharing your comments about your recent dining experience with us at the Red Parrot. We are delighted to hear that you and the family enjoyed the unlimited breakfast buffet!

The next time you come to Cayman, you should check out breakfast at Solana, on our beachfront. You can choose from Caribbean Eggs Benedict, “All you can eat” Almond Pancakes and the Lobster Omelet (just to name a few). Plus you can’t beat the view of the beautiful turquoise blue ocean while you enjoy your cup of coffee. It really is the best way to kick off your day!

I will make sure to pass on your compliments to Marc, Carlos and Kendra, they will be thrilled to hear that their excellent service made a lasting impression during your time with us.

You may be interested to hear that we will be undergoing phase two of our renovations in September, which will include our lobby, restaurants and other communal areas. It is going to be
spectacular and we are really looking forward to unveiling the enhancements to our hotel during your next visit to Cayman.

Thank you again for providing such a positive review and we will see you next year!

Reviewed 13 March 2014

The Marriott at the Grand Caymans is absolutely fantastic! I stayed in a renovated room, and it was very clean, quiet, and comfortable. This staff is so friendly, caring, and respectful. Hannah at the beach was an absolute treat with a friendly smile. When we needed lunch or a beverage, she was there! Courtney set up our umbrella, and he was such a gentleman. He looks like Samuel Jackson from the movies. Paulette was a woman who made up our room. She was so sweet, friendly, and accommodating. Even Rocky, the Security guard, introduced himself and offered to take a picture and escort us to the restaurant. He was a pleasure. Our breakfast server today was Anna, and I really enjoyed her personality and caring nature.

The food at the restaurant was excellent and the beach is clean with azure water. I would highly recommend to anyone who is interested in a fantastic trip.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear a2brutea, thank you for taking the time to provide such a positive review of our hotel. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us!

We really appreciate your comments on the friendliness of our staff. I think we have the best employees in Cayman so it is wonderful to hear that they made a lasting impression on your visit. I will make sure to pass on your encouraging feedback to Hannah, Courtney (he will also be delighted to learn that you think he looks like Samuel L Jackson!), Paulette, Rocky and Anna.

I am also glad to hear that you enjoyed your dining experiences at the hotel. We strive to offer fresh, simple and innovative dishes. By offering various theme nights, we feel that we can really showcase a diverse range of cuisines. Were you able to enjoy Sushi Night at the lounge? Our sushi chef just came back from an exploratory trip from California to discover the best ways of preparing sushi. I think he makes the best sushi on the island!

Thank you again for highly recommending our hotel and we hope to have the chance to welcome you back to our beautiful island again in the near future!

Reviewed 13 March 2014

Considering the fact that I've spent over 60 nights in 4&5 star hotels last year and four nights here over the course of a weekend cost over $2500 the rooms were not good enough. Could this be because reservations made through Marriott directly may get preferential treatment to the reservation we made via hotels.com? Perhaps.. I requested a different room on three occasions but no luck.
Set the alarm for 7am to bag a beach chair and I'd probably skip the buccaneers buffet which they hold on a Friday night - pretty lame show.
Recommend Ortanique for good dining and Southern Spice, Cracked Conch and sunset grill for more casual and inexpensive dining options.
GC was a great location itself - locals very friendly, no hassle, beautiful beaches, great snorkelling...

Room Tip: Hope you have better luck than I did.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank running_bull_7

Dear running_bull_7, thank you for taking the time to provide a review of our hotel. We appreciate all comments that will help improve upon the experiences of our future guests. We do our best to position ourselves in the market so that we offer the most competitive rates to our guests so I am so sorry to hear that you felt that you did not receive good value for your money. I would also like to reassure you that all our customers are treated equally, regardless of whether they made their reservations directly on Marriott.com or through other booking channels.

I truly regret that you were disappointed in the accommodation offered to you and I apologize that we could not upgrade you during your stay with us. You may be interested to hear that we will be undergoing an extensive renovation in September, which will include our lobby, restaurants as well as other communal areas. Despite your disappointment during this particular visit, we hope that you will consider coming back in the future to enjoy the enhancements to the hotel.

With regards to your comment on having to go to the beach early to reserve a sun lounger, we are making every effort to ensure that our guests uphold the one-hour rule. We want our guests to get the most out of their beach house experience, so if our attendants notice that a sun lounger has been ‘reserved’ with a towel or personal effects, then he / she will remove the items after one hour if the lounger is not being used.

Again we sincerely apologize that your recent experience did not meet your expectations. You are welcome to contact me personally if you want to discuss this further. You can email at ingrid.chaves@marriott.com or call me on (345) 949-0088.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Seven Mile Beach
Caribbean Club
Caribbean Club
#1 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mi...
#5 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
Wyndham Reef Resort
Wyndham Reef Resort
#2 of 2 in East End

Been to Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort? Share your experiences!