“Nicest People Anywhere”

Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Two years ago we had an incredible experience at the Marriott Grand Cayman resort. My wife and I are both Marriott Gold members and we have stayed at many different Marriott Hotels over the years. What impressed us then were the people who worked there who truly treated us like royalty.
So several weeks ago, when I was planning a last minute vacation with my daughter who was home for Spring Break, this was the first place we thought of trying.
During our last visit, we had been fortunate to meet up with Ingrid Chaves, the Director of Rooms Operations, and I had kept in touch with her since we left. When I emailed her to tell her we were coming back, she welcomed us with open arms, and the next thing we knew…we learned we were being upgraded to a room with a balcony too!
After arriving in the Grand Cayman, we went to the taxi stand and told them we needed a ride to the Marriott. A Marriott representative overheard our request and asked us our name. 15 minutes later we got a big surprise. As we arrived at the hotel, we had barely gotten out of the cab when we were met by Pamela Lea Plaza, a hotel supervisor. Next thing we knew, our luggage was being taken and we were being led to the Elite Check in where Caleb gave us a drink and some little sponge cakes. Pamela and Caleb told us how much they appreciate our loyalty and Pamela personally took us to a beautiful room with a fantastic view. All my daughter could say was, “OMG! I can’t believe this dad!”
To us the most amazing thing was that many of the people who had taken care of us 2 years ago, either remembered us by face or by name. For example, a couple days into our trip, Omar the doorman looked at me and said that he knew we’d been there before by our faces.
And once we got on the beach, Dannis came by to serve us. I looked at him and said I remembered him because he was the best server we ever had. This guy really rocks…he will remember the drinks you like, and will bring you water when it’s hot without you asking. The next best server, who remembered my last name, was Leonard…again very good. Now not every server was awesome…there were a couple of newer servers who you could tell were just learning the ropes…and definitely needed a little work…so I took it upon myself to offer some constructive criticism to Kendra Stuck, the Food and Beverage Supervisor. She was actually very appreciative of the feedback and even comped us for lunch…something we didn’t expect but definitely appreciated. She also remembered our names throughout the entire vacation…again something that we do not see in other hotels.
In the hotel’s Red Parrott restaurant we asked the server if they could make my daughter a plate of grilled shrimp, a dish that wasn’t even on the menu. The server spoke with Franz, the Chef and he came out to meet us. He asked us if we would prefer regular shrimp or larger prawns that they also had available. We went for the regular shrimp and he made it for my daughter for 3 separate dinners.
We also had a funny situation at breakfast in the Red Parrott on one occasion. As we were getting in line for omelets, a server named Mirna asked us if we would like pineapple juice with our breakfast. It caught us by surprise, but then we realized that she had been our server several days before and remembered what we liked. She then came over to our table and asked us how our vacation was going, etc.
Everything is not always perfect of course, but when it isn’t, they make things right. We had one dinner that was delayed and frankly, it annoyed me. I found the Food and Beverage Manager, Marc Mata, and was very frank with him about being aggravated. He apologized, explained why things were delayed (there actually was a good reason) and then proceeded to give us a drink, a special dessert and told us our dinner was on the house. And Franz came out and also apologized for the delay. To me, this epitomized the way to treat customers.
Finally, I want to give a shout out to Rafael Trivelli, the Senior Front Desk Supervisor and for Alex, who also worked at the front desk and gave me great information about the Turtle Farm where my daughter and I saw huge sea turtles, sharks and other fish. We snorkeled with the turtles; a very cool experience. Alex later fixed my bill when I realized I had forgotten to use a 20% off coupon that I had received for a meal. I gave him my Moby Dick paperback which I had read…if he has the stamina to get through the 655 pages…more power to him!
We have stayed at many Marriott hotels and have dealt with many outstanding people at those hotels. But we think that the people who work in this Marriott are the friendliest and most considerate anywhere. I think that it must be how they are trained. They take an interest in their customers and truly speak with them. Even Murine who gives out towels recognized me as a previous guest, asked me several times about how things were going, and gave us some suggestions of things we might like to do. (By the way, the wave runners were fun too…we did an hour, but you could have a great time for a half hour and save some money too.)
The beach was definitely crowded, but the water is a beautiful turquoise color (as pretty as Negril in Jamaica) and you can just walk in and snorkel.
A couple final notes…Coconut Joe’s across the street was good for several breakfasts and lunches. And you need to walk about 10 minutes to the left of the hotel to the Camana Bay restaurants and shops. We ate dinner at Abacus one night and it was very good.
All in all, it was a great get away for us…and if you are looking for outstanding service, this is the place to go.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Doug K
Marriott_GrandCayman, Manager at Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Dear Doug K, thank you for taking the time to provide such a detailed review of our hotel. We are so happy that you enjoyed your second stay with us!

I have to agree with all your kind comments about Marriott Grand Cayman having the friendliest and most considerate staff. I too believe we have the best team in Cayman! All of them really go out of their way to make sure that our guests are enjoying their time with us.

We also appreciate how stressful travelling can be! We really focus on making the arrival experience of our guests as pleasant as possible. Therefore we are delighted to hear that our excellent customer service and welcome during your arrival did not go unnoticed.

Especially nowadays, there is so much hassle that goes along with flying – from dealing with tight security procedures at the airport and getting on a cramped and uncomfortable plane to arriving at your destination only to be welcomed by lines to get through Immigration and Customs, retrieve your luggage and even to catch a taxi – we know that that the ‘beginning’ of a vacation is not usually fun. But once you get to our hotel, we want all of the stress of travelling to melt away. We want you to feel that you have finally ‘arrived’ and your vacation has officially begun.

Thank you so much for acknowledging the efforts of Ingrid, Pamela and the rest of the team – everyone will be thrilled to hear that they made such a positive impression on your time with us.

I noticed that you took a few pictures of the beautiful Cayman sunset – did you and your family have the chance to participate in our Sunset Ceremony? We like to make a ‘ritual’ out of watching the sunset from our beach so we set up distinctive and colorful furniture along our beachfront so guests can take fabulous pictures as the sun goes down. We also host a beach bonfire a couple of times a week and hand out ingredients to make S’mores. We hope you had the opportunity to indulge in this family activity – it is one of my favorites!

Again we really appreciate all your wonderful comments and we hope to welcome you back for your third visit in the near future!

Enrique Tasende, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (5,384)

Reviewed 21 March 2014

Absolutely loved this hotel and they made our family vacation memorable. Visited on busy school break week (2/16-2/23), got a great deal and even better surprise with a dining credit upon checkout. Staff made us feel like royalty and amenities were outstanding. From the welcome drinks to great assistance in planning our trips, they made the trip! Beach drink and food service, snorkeling right out your door, super food, great pool and beach "toys" and fun activities. We couldn't have been more fortunate to get this last minute trip to be so perfect.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms!!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Marriott_GrandCayman, Manager at Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2014

Dear milkm23, thank you for sharing feedback on your recent stay with us. We are delighted that you and your family had a funtabulous vacation! We really appreciate your kind comments about our staff and our outstanding amenities.

We strive to provide excellent customer service so I am happy to hear that you were treated like royalty! I really do think that we have the kindest and most professional employees in Cayman.

You mentioned that you were able to enjoy our food on the beach; did you have the chance to check out Solana for breakfast? They offer some delicious dishes such as Caribbean Eggs Benedict, “All you can eat” Almond Pancakes and the Lobster Omelet (just to name a few), plus you can’t beat the view of the sparkling turquoise blue ocean while you enjoy your cup of coffee! It is one of my favorite places on island to have breakfast.

Thank you for choosing Marriott and we hope to welcome you and your family back to our hotel the next time you come to Cayman! You may be interested to hear that we will be undergoing a major renovation in September, which will change the look and feel of our communal areas, including our lobby, restaurants and fitness center. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back next year so you can enjoy the fabulous enhancements to our hotel!

Reviewed 21 March 2014

Fabulous stay for our first trip to the Caymans. From the moment we arrived and throughout our entire week the service and food was exceptional. Our goal was to do a lot of nothing and it was very easy to do. We really appreciated the new system to clear the empty ocean front chairs. We had no desire to become part of the problem and enjoyed coming down after lunch and spending our afternoons lounging at the beach. This is definitely the friendliest resort we have ever been too!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Dear Stephanie J, thank you for sharing feedback on your recent visit to our hotel. We are thrilled that you and your family had a fabulous stay and you consider us a home away from home! We appreciate all your encouraging comments about our exceptional customer service and food.

We are also grateful for your comments regarding the system that we have in place for ensuring that guests do not ‘reserve’ beach loungers to the detriment of others. Our one-hour rule is something that we continue to monitor to make sure our guests get the most of their beach house experience.

Did you have the chance to watch a few sunsets from the beach during you stay? We like to make a ‘ritual’ out of it by setting up colorful chairs and sofas right along the beachfront at the end of the day so guests have the perfect picture opportunity as the sun goes down. We also host a couple bonfire nights during the week and hand out ingredients for guests to make S’mores. It is one of my favorite family activities!

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your first visit to Cayman and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our beautiful island again very soon!

Reviewed 20 March 2014

I stayed here with my family from March 8th to the 13th and wish I could have stayed longer. The beach is a little crowded but the beautiful water and view make up for it. The restaurants have delicious food and the staff was very friendly and helpful. It's pretty easy to get around and there's restaurants within walking distance.Can't wait to plan my trip back hopefully next year.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Dear Lindsey D, thank you so much for taking the time to provide a review of our hotel. As you mentioned, Spring Break is one of our busiest times of the year but we are delighted that you and your family still enjoyed your time with us! We really appreciate your kind comments about our delicious food and friendly and helpful staff.

Did you and the family have the opportunity to enjoy all the fun activities that the hotel offers such as our free bike rentals? One of the most enjoyable ways you can spend a beautiful breezy morning in Cayman is by discovering the island by bicycle. We were inspired by memories of riding along through the picturesque countryside with loved ones during our own vacation experiences and wanted to re-create these special moments for our guests. We hope you had the chance to reconnect with your family in the same way!

Thank you again for choosing Marriott and we look forward to welcoming you back to our beautiful island again – perhaps next year?

Reviewed 19 March 2014

Beautiful beach, staff is wonderful. The hotel has a great vibe. Always something going on at night, great activities for the kids. Snorkeling at this hotel is nice. The pool is a little small. Service is excellent. We had an oceanfront room. The view is amazing. Only con...the rooms need updating especially the bathrooms. Also, if you get an Oceanfront room make sure you ask where it was located, ours was over the outdoor restaurant and the live music at night was very loud.

1  Thank nychick819
Marriott_GrandCayman, Manager at Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

Dear nychick819, thank you for sharing your feedback on our hotel. We are glad to hear that you had good time with us! We appreciate your nice comments about our beautiful beach, wonderful staff and excellent customer service. I agree – I also think our hotel has a great vibe!

Did you have the chance to dine with us at the hotel? We are proud of our various theme nights, which give us the opportunity to really showcase a diverse range of cuisines. One of my favorites is the Sushi Night at Balboa’s Lounge. I think we have one best sushi chefs on the island! He just came back from an exploratory trip to California to discover the best ways of preparing sushi. The concepts that he has brought back with him are nothing short of the best and you can really tell when you sample his delicious dishes.

You may be interested to hear that we will be undergoing an extensive renovation in September, which will affect our communal areas such as lobby and restaurants. We hope to welcome you back to enjoy the fabulous enhancements to our hotel!

Thank you for choosing Marriott and we hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed 19 March 2014

I just returned from Grand Cayman with my wife. We had a great time and the Marriott Hotel was equally great! Good employees, helpful and friendly staff. My only criticism would be that the beach bar played the same 5 songs the entire week. At first, it didn't bother me, but after a few days it became annoying. Granted, if you bring your own earplugs and ipod, it wont even notice. However, when you just want to listen to the sound of the ocean, the same 5 songs start to get on your last nerve!

2  Thank Mike P

Hi Mike P, thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent stay with us. We are thrilled to hear that you and your wife had a great time on your vacation! We really appreciate your nice comments about our helpful and friendly staff.

Thank you also for your feedback on the music at Sol Bar. I have shared your comments with the team and I am happy to say that the music has now been changed. We want to make sure that you are getting the most out of your beach house experience so any comments about how we can improve the ambience is warmly received.

Did you have the chance to watch a few sunsets from the beach during you stay? We like to make a ‘ritual’ out of it by setting up colorful chairs and sofas right along the beachfront at the end of the day so guests have the perfect picture opportunity as the sun goes down. We also host a couple bonfire nights during the week and hand out ingredients for guests to make S’mores. It is one of my favorite activities to do on the beach!

Thank you again for choosing Marriott for your stay and we hope to welcome you back again to our beautiful island very soon.

Reviewed 19 March 2014

Just returned from 6 days in the Marriott Grand Cayman. The entire property is very pretty and well maintained, as are the rooms. The beach, as many have mentioned is narrow, but there is never a problem getting chaise lounges and umbrellas. No need to wake up at dawn even when the hotel is full.They have rafts in the water and toys for kids. The water is that gorgeous Caribbean blue.. The rooms overlooking the courtyard are not quiet during the day, but the hotel is quiet by 11:00 at night. The restaurants at the hotel are VERY expensive, even by Cayman standards. A burger for lunch is around $20 American. The breakfast buffet for two people is around $60. But there are several moderately priced restaurants within walking distance: Coconut Joe's and Cimboco for breakfast, Stingers,(very informal, but good) Lone Star Bar and Grill, and Eats for dinner. You can get a 20% off coupon for the Red Parrot, the Italian restaurant in the hotel, and the food there is excellent.

The staff is very friendly and helpful, especially Dylan, a manger, and Nelson the doorman goes out of his way every day to ensure that you are having a good time.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the upper levels, away from the elevators.
2  Thank Panna160

Dear Panna160, thank you for providing feedback on your recent stay with us. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your vacation! We really appreciate your kind comments about our well-maintained rooms and property.

We are sorry that you felt the food offered at the hotel was expensive. Unfortunately one of the few downsides of living in our beautiful island is the high cost of food overall due to the number of items that are imported from abroad.

As much as we try to source locally grown food, there are many circumstances where this is not possible. For example, some vegetables and fruits cost 30% more in Cayman than in any state in the US because they are brought in from oversees. Having said that, we are glad to hear that you enjoyed your dining experience at the Red Parrot and you thought that the food there was excellent.

I will make sure to pass on your compliments to Dylan and Nelson – they will delighted to hear that they made a positive impression on your time with us.

Thank you for choosing Marriott and we hope to welcome you back to Cayman again in the near future!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Seven Mile Beach
Caribbean Club
Caribbean Club
#1 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mi...
#5 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
Wyndham Reef Resort
Wyndham Reef Resort
#2 of 2 in East End

Been to Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort? Share your experiences!