“Great weekend break” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
new york, ny
“Great weekend break”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

Escaped the brutal winter with three girlfriends for a quick getaway. The hotel gets 4 stars because its staff was so accommodating and friendly. Whatever we requested they made it happen, no questions, no protests. Whether that was a request for extra towels, a slight change in menu items or permitting us to purchase bottles of alcohol for the beach bar area. The beach front is disappointing, there are literally 4 rows of chairs lined up across the minimal beach. So unless you get outside at 7a to get a chair, be prepared to be facing someone's back all day. That being said, you can order drinks and food right on the beach. The sand is soft and white and the water is cerulean and clear. The best part -- the anchored floats with cup holders that are moored just off the beach. Dangerous because you can get burned out there if not careful. But such an amazing and relaxing way to enjoy the water and beach. Great restaurants throughout Grand Cayman so no need to stay on site but if you do, the food is good. If we were going to be there longer i probably would have left the premises to check out other beaches, but for a quick weekend getaway, this was a pretty perfect location. Just be prepared for the beach situation. You really are on top of each other.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Marriott_GrandCayman, Manager at Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Dear jlynyc, thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay with us. We are delighted that you and your girlfriends enjoyed your weekend getaway in Cayman!

I am glad to hear that you took advantage of the anchored floats right at our beachfront. Many of our guests tell us that they love relaxing in the water and it is a fantastic way to keep cool on a hot day. But I have to agree with you on your comment about having to be careful to not soak up too much sun. We know how a bad sunburn can really affect a guest’s vacation experience! You might be interested to hear that we will soon be offering a Sun Burn Relief station (which will be located next to the Towel Hut) that will provide natural remedies such as cold towels, freshly cut cucumber and aloe vera leaves for sun burns as well as local, organic and paraben-free skincare products to help soothe and moisturize skin.

We also appreciate your kind comments on our accommodating and friendly staff and good food. However we are sorry to hear that you found the beachfront disappointing. At certain times of the year we sometimes lose parts of our beach, which will affect how many loungers we can put on our beachfront. Many of the properties along Seven Mile Beach are influenced by these weather systems so we apologize that this affected your experience with us.

We would like to thank you for choosing Marriott and we hope to welcome you back again very soon – perhaps for a longer holiday next time?

Ingrid Chaves, Director of Rooms Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,443)
  • Polish first
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

The hotel and the staff were terrific. Very relaxing stay, it felt like being at home. Nice snorkeling area right off the beach to get us ready for a great week of diving. Very clean beach just kind of tight for space. I would stay again. Very close to places to eat.

Room Tip: Ocean view was worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Marriott_GrandCayman, Manager at Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Dear Dean_Smith78223, thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent stay with us. We are delighted that you felt the hotel and the staff were terrific!

At our beach house, our aim is to evoke happy nostalgia of summers gone by. We hope to do this by providing the right ambience for you to unwind and savor special moments with loved ones so I am glad to hear that being at our resort was like being at home! I really like the pictures you posted in your review - you really can't beat a gorgeous view of the sparking turquoise blue ocean from your balcony.

You mentioned that you spent the week diving. Did you have the chance to go on the Kittiwake Shipwreck Tour, which is organized by Red Sail Sports (next to the Towel Hut and pool)? They offer boat rides to the Kittwake a few times a week – it is one of the most unforgettable experiences! What I really like about it is that you don’t have to be an experienced diver to appreciate the wreck. It is one of the most accessible shipwrecks with the top of it within seven feet of the surface – it is like being in a swimming pool! Plus the wreck is slowly being transformed into an artificial reef and is teeming with colorful fish. It really is an experience that is not to be missed.

Thank you again for choosing Marriott and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our beautiful island again in the near future.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

Spent 6 nights and 7 days at the Marriott and very much enjoyed our stay. My wife, daughter, and I shared an Ocean Front Jr. Suite that was quiet, clean, and well serviced each day.

We spent 4 days on property for the entire day and utilized all services. The reef was especially enjoyable for me as I love to snorkel and while there are better snorkeling spots on the island, nothing beats the convenience of having a reef right outside of the hotel. Fish variety was good/entertaining so I went out 3 or 4 times each day.

Food was also very good and beach/pool-side service was awesome. Meal and beverage prices were very expensive though. I’ve vacationed at higher-end Marriott/Hilton resorts 3 times in Hawaii in recent years and this resort makes Hawaii look like a budget vacation destination! I am more than willing to pay higher resort prices for the convenience it offers but this resort was way more expensive than what I’ve encountered anywhere else (Hawaii, NYC, England, and Germany being among the pricier destinations I’ve vacationed).

I think that what bothers me most, though, is the fact that to get a can of Diet Pepsi , water, or a snack off of the shelf in the lobby ‘market’, they still charged a 16% ‘service’ charge – even though no one provided any additional service. In US$, for example, a can of Diet Pepsi, came to almost 5$! I’d encourage anyone with a car to visit the grocery store and anyone without a car to walk to the gas station at the nearest corner. You’ll save a bunch of money.

No other complaints. Our family felt very safe and comfortable during our entire stay and we will likely choose this location again if we ever head back to Grand Cayman.

Room Tip: Jr. Suites offer the best views...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank John S
Dear John S, thank you so much for providing such a glowing review of our hotel. We are delighted that you and your family enjoyed your vacation with us and we met your high expectations! We also appreciate your kind comments about our Artificial Reef Project, food and our awesome beach/poolside service.

I do sympathize with your feedback regarding food being expensive. Unfortunately one of the downsides of living on our beautiful island is the high cost of living. For example, the cost of fuel is almost double here compared to most places in the US, which is indicative of how much more expensive other items are such as food. But I am glad to hear that on the whole you enjoyed your dining experiences with us.

I noticed that you took some beautiful pictures of our beach, pool and Turtle Lagoon. What I really like about our hotel is that it is close to nature. We have a number of native creatures that live in our Turtle Lagoon and roam the gardens on our property (making great photo opportunities!). And I have to agree with your comment about the safety of our resort and island in general – as a resident of Cayman, one of the things that I love about this island is that it is so family-oriented and very safe.

Thank you again for choosing Marriott and we look forward to welcoming you back to Cayman again very soon!

Miami
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this property overnight for a business meeting. The property itself is very nice. The staff is extremely friendly and the views are magnificent. I loved the juice bar in the lobby for breakfast. The only thing I did not like was that they automatically charge your credit card at check-out time even if you have not checked-out.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank AJCC1
Dear AJCC1, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us. We appreciate your kind words about our property, extremely friendly staff and magnificent views.

Thank you also for your comment regarding our juice bar. Our aim is to offer guests healthy, fresh and nourishing options so they can start their day off right. During your next visit (when you have more time with us), I suggest checking out Solana on the beach for breakfast. They have a delicious menu that includes Caribbean-inspired eggs benedict, “all you can eat” almond pancakes and a yummy lobster omelet. Plus you can’t beat the view of the sparkling turquoise ocean as you enjoy your cup of coffee!

I also appreciate your feedback on the payment process upon check-out. I have discussed this with the team so that we can look into amending this process going forward.

Thank you again for choosing Marriott and we hope to welcome you back to our beautiful island in the near future!

West Des Moines, Iowa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

We were disappointed with the Marriott - the pool and beach are much smaller than they look in pictures. I had been corresponding with the hotel about requesting adjoining rooms on an upper floor for months, yet we were placed on the first floor with absolutely no view. There was no offer by the front desk to let us know if something else became available until I told them I was checking out and moving to the Westin - then they were very interested in my concerns. When I returned home and got my American Express bill, the amounts didn't match and I was charged a Foreign Transaction fee. The hotel said they charge in Cayman dollars and the exchange rate applied by the credit card company was probably different...and the Foreign Transaction fee is levied on a percentage of the total bill by the credit card company because the charge is in Cayman dollars. What is interesting to me is that I was on the island for TWO WEEKS and used charge cards all over the island - at restaurants, activities and the Westin (where we happily spent the rest of our trip) and NO other establishment ran the charge in Cayman dollars and I incurred NO OTHER Foreign Transaction fees, except the Marriott. The Marriott says this is listed on your bill when you check out and, in fairness, after they pointed it out, I could see that it is...but I would venture to guess that I am not alone in not noticing this. I find it very disappointing that the Marriott would choose to process charges on credit cards in a way that costs their customers more money on their charge card bills after they return home, when there are obviously ways to process the charges in US dollars that do not incur these extra fees.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank DebL457
Dear Deb L, thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent visit. I am very sorry that you were disappointed with your experience at the Marriott Grand Cayman. The satisfaction of our guests is our top priority so I deeply regret that your stay did no live up to your expectations.

Firstly, I would like to say that I am very sorry that we were not able to accommodate your request for adjoining rooms on an upper floor. We try our hardest to accommodate our guests’ requests but sometimes this is not possible. March is one our busiest months due to Spring Break so I apologize that we could not guarantee your room preference.

Secondly, I would like to extend my most sincere apologies for the miscommunication with regards to our payment process. We inform all our guests that we process charges in the local currency (as outlined on all our invoices and in our official website) but in this case it seems that we failed to articulate this information effectively. For this I am truly sorry. I have shared your comments with the team so that we can continue to refine this process and ensure it does not happen again in the future.

I would like to welcome you to contact me directly so we can discuss this in more detail. You can call me on (345) 949 0088 or email me at ingrid.chaves@marriott.com.

We would like to thank you again for sharing your experience as this allows us to improve upon the experience of our future guests. Again I am very sorry for your disappointment and I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel the next time you are in Cayman.

Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

We visited the Grand Cayman Marriott for Spring Break March 23-29. We own Marriott timeshares and do not usually stay in hotels since we like the convenience of having 2 bedrooms and a kitchen. The room was big enough for our small family of 3 and this property is very nice. We were greeted as soon as we arrived by the Bellmen and someone I the lobby brought us a cold juice drink, which was even better once I added some of our duty free rum! Check in was quick and easy and they found us a room that was available even though we arrived early.
The pool was small but adequate and our daughter loved it. I am a each person so I was happy to see how close it was and how beautiful the water was. I spent the week staring at it. The highlight of each day was when I could take a walk on the beach or swim in the ocean.
This is one of the best Marriott properties that we have been to as far as the people working there. Everyone was helpful and very friendly. The restaurant had great service and the servers around the pool were plentiful and speedy. Our room was on the 5th floor with a courtyard view which was fine. The turtle ponds were nice, our daughter liked seeing the turtles every morning. A bit of a walk to the pool but just fine.
The Kids club was a pleasant surprise. Our 7 yr old loved it and I would say it's the best I have seen in any Marriott property. It was small but they made the most of it. Kathryn was wonderful and we never worried about leaving our daughter with her for an activity. Rhona was also great. They had great activities and our daughter even learned a lot about dolphins, turtles and iguanas. Other Marriott kids clubs may be nicer and bigger but the staff could learn a lot from Kathryn. She should share her ideas with other Marriott properties.
A great property and beautiful island, we will certainly be returning.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear theresaj10, thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on our hotel. We are thrilled that you and your family enjoyed Spring Break with us. We also appreciate your kind comments about our property and helpful and friendly staff.

I am so glad to hear that your daughter enjoyed our Kid’s Club activities! When my General Manager asked me to come up with a kids’ program I wanted to offer our families something different rather than having a Kids Club where children just end up watching movies and playing on the PlayStation. I thought about all the activities that we used to enjoy from our childhood – so Kathryn and I chose activities that families could do together such as kite flying, spending time by a bonfire and building boats to race in the Turtle Lagoon. Our aim was to make it less about technology and more about re-connection. It sounds like your 7-year old had a blast with Kathryn and Rhona! I will also tell Kathryn that you mentioned her in your review – she will be thrilled to hear that she made a lasting impression on your time with us.

Thank you for choosing Marriott and we hope to welcome you and your family back to our beautiful island again in the near future!

Coral Gables, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

Our Stay at the Marriott Grand Cayman Beach Resort was truly a Memorable experience. We felt very welcome and pampered at the Grand Cayman Marriott. Everybody was very nice and the service was nothing short of outstanding. I have to mention several people who were particularly instrumental in making our stay an absolute pleasure. Carlos, Jasmin, Leonardo, Wendy, Litha, Edson, Marisela, Laura, Alex, and Geri. These people are exceptional and should be treasured by Marriott.

The food at all hotel restaurants was very good, particularly Lobster Night at Solana which was outstanding. It would have been great if there was more local cuisine available at all times, but particularly at the Bucaneer's Feast. Local restaurants I would recommend as they were outstanding were: The Cracked Conch and Lobster Pot. For great ambiance and service, I would recommend Osetra Bay; the food was very good. Dukes is also very good and I recommend it as it is a good value.

The only criticism I have is the beach. While beautiful, it is quite narrow at the hotel and felt crowded.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank GJS811
Marriott_GrandCayman, Manager at Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Dear GJS811, thank you so much for taking the time to provide a review of our hotel. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your vacation and it was a memorable experience!

We also appreciate your kind words about feeling pampered and our service being nothing short of outstanding. I will make sure to pass on your compliments to Carlos, Jasmin, Leonardo, Wendy, Litha, Edson, Marisela, Laura, Alex and Geri – they will all be delighted to hear that they made such a positive impression on your stay with us. I have to agree with you – I think our team is exceptional and the best in Cayman! I am happy to learn that they are getting the recognition that they deserve.

Thank you also for your positive feedback on our food. With more than 106 different nationalities represented on our beautiful island, Cayman inevitably have a diverse culinary offering. There are a mixture of gastronomic influences stemming from Europe, South America and the rest of the Caribbean (just to name a few). At our restaurants, we provide fresh, simple but innovative dishes. By offering various specialty nights, we feel that we can really showcase a diverse range of delicious cuisines. I am glad that you thought our Unlimited Lobster Night was outstanding!

You may be interested to hear that we will be undergoing phase two of our renovations in September, which will change the look and feel of all our communal areas, including our lobby, restaurants and fitness center. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future to enjoy all the fabulous enhancements to our resort.