“Great spring break stay”

Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
New York, New York, United States
“Great spring break stay”
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed with husband and a teenager for spring holiday break. We got couple of tee nights thru the Marriott rewards and the rest I have upgraded to a turtle lagoon view. Room was a good size 2 double beds with nice linens . The beds are not Queen size but comfortable. Airconditioner worked like magic and Good selection of TV channels . We had a small balcony facing a turtle pond . The palm trees offered privacy Every day room was spotlessly cleaned and vacuumed . Great front desk stuff and friendly welcoming crew at the beach. Loved the free umbrellas and chairs on the beach with nice towels. Good food selection on restaurants. Food is pricy like everywhere on the island. The drinks were a small fortune 9.00 to 10.00. Was somewhat of a hussle to come down early to get the front line seats by the water. Great snorkeling just on from if hotel has an artificial reef. Lots of small floating devices for everybody to use . Everything was well equipped and prepared . Really had a good time .

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Karina K
Marriott_GrandCayman, Manager at Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Dear Karina K, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are delighted that you and your family enjoyed your Spring Break with us! We really appreciate your kind comments about our staff, rooms and restaurants. As you mentioned, the snorkelling at the Artificial Reef Project, which is just a short swim from our beachfront, is great! Many of our guests tell us that they really enjoy exploring the man-made reef balls and often bring breadcrumbs to feed the colorful fish that surround the area.

I like the picture of our beach that included with your review. At the Marriott Grand Cayman, our aim is to provide our guests with the ultimate beach house experience by evoking the happy nostalgia of summers gone by. Knowing that our guests love to watch the sunset during their vacation, we like to make a ritual out of it. You may have noticed that we set up distinctive right on the beachfront at the end of the day so guests have the perfect picture opportunity as the sun goes down. We hope that you were able to take part in some of our other beach house activities like our bonfire nights and movie screening under the stars. They are such wonderful settings to create special memories with loved ones!

Thank you for choosing Marriott and we hope to welcome you and your family back again to Cayman in the near future!

Ingrid Chaves, Director of Rooms Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,489)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

Staff and service is superb. A fine balance of activities, experience, and vibe for fun to entertain both the kids and parents.

I love the selection of vintage rums. Can't wait to go fishing with the kids.

The food is great, especially the conch fritters.

Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Rob G
Dear Rob G, thank you providing feedback on our hotel. We are delighted that you felt our staff and customer service were superb! Thank you for also making the comment about our resort having an excellent balance of activities, experiences and ambience for adults and kids alike.

We appreciate your kind words about our food. We are proud of our various Specialty nights at our restaurants, which give us the opportunity to really showcase a diverse range of cuisines. One of my favorites is the Sushi Night at Balboa’s Lounge. I think we have one best sushi chefs on the island! He recently came back from an exploratory trip to California to discover the best ways of preparing sushi. The concepts that he brought back with him are nothing short of the best and you can really tell when you sample his delicious dishes. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your dining experiences with us!

Thank you for choosing Marriott and we hope to welcome you and your family back again to our beautiful island very soon.

West Chester, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Pros: Rooms renovated, good beds, staff friendly and attentive. Breakfast served in 3 locations and all are good. Drinks and coffee in Balboa Lounge - wonderful. After dinner activities i.e., s'mores on beach - excellent idea and fun. Lots of programs/games for children. Hotel very clean. Would like to commend Tilly/beach drinks and food service. She was there every day with a smile and friendly word and incredibly fast service.
Cons: Although we understand beach erosion and inability to expand, it was still very frustrating to deal with the beach chair, pool chairs and umbrellas. Marriott needs more umbrellas. Here's what went on. Chairs are lined up 3 and 4 deep. Must arrive to claim oceanfront chair by 6:45am; by 7:30 you are back to 3rd or 4th rows. Umbrella guy arrives at 8am, so you must wait till he arrives to get umbrellas or risk losing your chair or not getting an umbrella. You cannot be gone from your chair for more than 1 hour - and yes they put stickers on the chair with the time when you leave. They then gather your belongings and give chair to someone else. We took turns going for water or food because we were too paranoid about losing our chairs. Wish I had a solution to the problem, but I don't.

3 Thank emprilutski
Dear emprilutski, thank you for taking the time to provide a detailed review of our hotel. We really appreciate your generous feedback about our beautiful resort, friendly and attentive staff, restaurants and activities. I will make sure to pass on your regards to Tilly - she will be thrilled to hear that she made a lasting impression on your time with us.

I also appreciate you acknowledging our newly refurbished rooms. We think they look spectacular and are very proud to show them off! You may be interested to hear that we will soon be entering phase two of our renovations in September, which will affect our communal areas, including the lobby, restaurants and fitness center. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you and your family back soon so you can enjoy the fabulous enhancements to the resort.

Thank you also for sharing your observations about our beachfront. We appreciate any feedback that will help us improve upon the experiences of our future guests. I am very sorry to hear that you were frustrated by the beach lounger situation. The satisfaction of our guests is our top priority so I sincerely apologize about this. We want our guests to get the most out of their beach house experience, therefore I have shared your comments with the team so we can formulate an adequate solution to the issues you have mentioned.

Thank you again for bringing this to my attention. I would like to welcome you to contact me personally if you want to discuss this further. You can email at ingrid.chaves@marriott.com or call me on (345) 949-0088.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Marriott Grand Cayman again in the future.

Ct
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We have been back to this hotel several times as we are always pleased with how nice and accommodating the entire staff is. Beach is small and gets crowded quickly but it has its own man made reef so you can do a little snorkeling.

1 Thank Jeff B
Dear Jeff B, thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent visit. We are thrilled that you and your family had an excellent stay with us! We really appreciate your kind comments about our nice and accommodating staff.

We know that our guests spend most of their time on the beach and in the water so we go out of our way to make sure they get the most out of their days. Did you have the chance to go on the Kittiwake Shipwreck Tour, which is organized by Red Sail Sports (next to the towel hut and pool)? They offer boat rides to the Kittwake a few times a week – it is one of the most unforgettable experiences! What I really like about it is that you don’t have to be an experienced diver to appreciate the wreck. It is one of the most accessible shipwrecks with the top of it within seven feet of the surface – it is like being in a swimming pool. Plus the wreck is slowly being transformed into an artificial reef and is teeming with colorful fish. It really is an experience that is not to be missed!

Thank you for your loyalty and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you and your family back to our beautiful island in the near future!

Milwaukee, WI
Reviewed 20 April 2014

This is the perfect place for an expanded Trip Advisor rating system.

Parts of this hotel are solid 4 stars starting with the rooms and a very friendly/competent staff. The rooms are nice and big and totally do the trick for a beach vacation. We had two rooms, one for our teenage son and his buddy and one for my wife and me. The maid service was excellent and quick, with most mornings finished up by the time we got from breakfast (although I did get in crowded elevator with a cockroach that gave everyone a shriek before it went onto a greater place). The toiletries are standard Marriott but amply stocked and the towels were refreshed every day - needed in the Caribbean.

All the staff was courteous albeit a little detached. It's a very international staff and while the majority of the guests were from the US, there were also guests from Central and South America.

Given that you're on the 7 mile beach, the sand and water are gorgeous. There seem to be beach chairs and umbrellas for all but it gets pretty packed in. Those wanting a good spot on the beach are down on the beach before 7:00 to claim their turf. (I was down at 6:45 most days and only got the front row once...)

The location is toward the south end of seven mile beach, about a 5 minute drive (30 minute walk) into Georgetown. Plenty of great restaurants close by including Blue Cilantro, Luca and Agua (all the great wines lists). There's a little cigar bar about a five minute walk north where you can frequently find a guy hand rolling cigars using cuban tobacco - product (they're great) So all in all a good location, with find grounds and at competent staff.

While you're right on the main drag, you don't feel like it once you're in the hotel. The grounds are very nice/just fine.

'There's not a lot of food options, you've a restaurant up and one down and that's about it but there are great places all around you. This said, the not inexpensive buffet is terrific with a great omelet bar, waffles and fresh fruit. Lunch down by the beach was fine but we'd easily spend $50 Cayman on it for a couple of salads and Arnold Palmers.

For shopping there's no real shopping to speak of at the hotel, other than a well stocked general store in the hotel.

So what didn't we like. I'll start healthy, with the workout facility. It's far too small for a hotel of this size. A few treadmills, couple of bikes and a few ellipticals. The weights were a small set up dumbbells up to 50 lbs and no machines, balls, bands, free weights etc... Room was packed every morning. My son and I ended up going to World Gym about a five minute walk up the road and bought a couple 7 day passes for $68Cayman each. (Gym is old school and everyone male and female is ripped in there - we loved it and their juice bar).

Next up is the bar - it's kind of an extension of the lobby versus a real bar. Moreover, the pours were all really small with everything measured out - quaint but annoying. Two decent vodkas and a beer were 66 Cayman. The bar doubled as the coffee place in the morning and rather than dole out free coffee you bought a mediocre brew of coffee for 10 Cayman for a couple of cups.

Moving down to the beach, there are water sports but you pay for everything. There are some things, of course, you'd expect to pay for (like jet skis) but when they charge for the snorkeling equipment you know some MBA has gone out of control (30 years of going to the Caribbean and the first time I've seen this). Want a matt to float around - pay for it. Want to take out a cheap ocean kayak - pay for it. Bottom line, I'm happy to spend real money on a vacation but I felt nickeled and dimed here.

Would we recommend this place? Probably. Would we stay here again? Probably not.

5 Thank JDAMWFB
Marriott_GrandCayman, Manager at Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear JDAMWFB, thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay with us. We really appreciate your generous comments about our nice rooms, very friendly staff and gorgeous beach.

I also like the pictures that you included with your review. Did you and your family have the chance to enjoy our free bike rentals? We were inspired by memories of riding along through the picturesque countryside with loved ones during our own vacation experiences and wanted to re-create these special moments for our guests. We hope you and the opportunity to indulge in these fantastic family activity.

Regarding your comment about our gym, you may be interested to hear that we will be undergoing a massive renovation in September, which will include our communal areas such as the lobby (and bar), restaurants and fitness center. We are very excited about it and the gym will have the most up to date work-out equipment as well as a fabulous view of Seven Mile Beach! We hope to welcome you back soon so we can show off the spectacular enhancements to our hotel.

We appreciate all comments that will help improve upon the experiences of our future guests - so I really want to thank you for sharing your observations. I would like to welcome you to contact me personally if you want to discuss your recent experience with us in more detail. You can email at ingrid.chaves@marriott.com or call me on (345) 949-0088.

We hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Marriott Grand Cayman again in the future.

Matawan, New Jersey
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We arrived to the hotel about 2:00, having requested an early check-in, we were surprised to find out we wouldn't be getting one. We waited around the lobby and took a little walk around the grounds and grabbed a drink.
We also requested an upgrade upon arrival, doubting we would get one because of the busy travel week. We are platinum members, so we figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.
When we got to our room at 3:50 (see we did get early check-in..haha) I was a bit disappointed, not only did we get an ocean view room, we didn't even get a courtyard view. We got an ally view between our hotel and the one next door. Way to treat your platinum members. The room had a damp odor upon entering that I believe is permanent. My husband said he would check again the next day for another room, but I told him not to bother. The room itself was nicely appointed and a decent size.

I still gave the hotel a 4 due to the amazing staff! What a group of employees they have. We travel a lot and this hotel has a 5 star staff. We are not that easily impressed and I have to tell you, they went above and beyond. From the front desk(Paolo and Alex, waitresses, waiters, bartenders(Gerald), beach staff, and doormen, all deserve and A+

We didn't eat often at the hotel often because we wanted to experience some of the great restaurants on the island. We had 1 breakfast at the Marriot that was good, a lunch that was yummy, and a dinner that was the worst one of the week.(it was also the only disappointing service we received)
The coffee at the hotel bar in the morning was awesome!

Now, onto the beach pool area that I have read so much about on this page. Yes, the beach is narrow, and yes, it can get cramped. I didn't think it was as bad as some people made it seem to be. We were here during a week of a fully booked hotel, and you needed to get out before 9 to get a chair and umbrella. Luckily for me I am an early riser and had no issues. Only 1 day did I see them checking to see that people weren't just leaving some stuff on the chairs and leaving for hours. They placed stickers on chairs with times on them. I didn't actually see if they followed through on it. The beach itself was OK, it was fairly rocky and until you learned which parts were better then others it could be a little dangerous. We had an odd week weather wise so some days the water was murky, some days clear, and some days full of seaweed. They kept the beach as clean as they could. The pool is small, too small for the hotel, and filled with thousands of kids! As someone else mentioned, if you don't want a lot of kids this isn't the place for you.

As a frequent Marriot customer I have to say that being a Platinum member made no difference during our stay. Not 1 perk was given. I think this is bad business, and am thinking about jumping ship to another hotel brand. I know they can't always give everything to members, but why bother being so loyal if there are no perks?

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank sugarmag13
Dear sugarmag13, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are really appreciate your comments about our amazing staff. I think we have the most professional, cosmopolitan and kindest staff in Cayman so I am so happy to hear that they are getting the recognition they deserve. I will make sure to tell Paulo, Alex and Gerald that you acknowledged them in your review - they will be thrilled to learn that you gave their excellent customer service an A+.

With regards to your request for an upgraded room, I am very sorry that we could not accommodate your preference at the time. April is one of our busiest times of the year and while we do our best to honor our guests’ preferences, this is sometimes not possible. For this I extend my deepest apologies.

You may be interested to hear that we will be undergoing a major renovation in September, which will affect our communal areas, including the lobby, restaurants and fitness center. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon so you can enjoy the fabulous enhancements to the resort.

If you would like to discuss your recent experience with me further, please feel free to contact me by emailing ingrid.chaves@marriott.com or calling me on (345) 949-0088.

Cornelius, North Carolina
Reviewed 19 April 2014

My family (2 adults, 2 teens) staying here for our Spring Break. We booked and confirmed a room with two double. We got a king and an air mattress. The Room is so small we almost can not fit 4 at the same time....Nothing like paying top dollar for a resort vacation and ending up sleeping on an air mattress. It has been a horrible experience. Had to sleep with two teenagers in a king bed and my husband had to sleep on a mini sofa ...not kidding!!!! .. I am have stayed at a lot of Marriott's and have never such a poor experience. You would not believe how tight is the space at the beach.... and also if you really want to get a chair...get to be downstairs BEFORE 7AM...no kidding also..... I had the nerves to count those chairs and mesure the size of the space (average)... space available of the beach sand for this hotel is 380 feet x 65 feet... and you would have at least 375 beach chairs on this space!!!! I DO HAVE PICTURES OF IT!!! you can call them and talk to any beach attendant and ask them about it. For sure you will have to save your nerves to be able to enjoy your time. Do not believe on the pics you see on the website... they are not accurate with the realitty. We stay there from 4/11/14 to 4/18/14... never will be back to this hotel.. Have to tell that the guys who help at the beach are just GREAT people... but that is so much they can do..... Spare yourself the agony and stay at other hotel.....Worst vacation ever !!

3 Thank Maristela D
Dear Maristela D, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate any feedback that will help improve upon the experiences of our future guests. The satisfaction of our guests is our top priority so I deeply regret that you were disappointed with your recent experience with us.

I would like to extend my most sincere apologies for not being able to fulfil your request for two double beds in your room. Spring Break is one of the busiest times of the year for us. While we try our hardest to accommodate our guests’ requests, sometimes we cannot guarantee room preferences. For this I am truly sorry.

With regards to your comment on having to go to the beach early to reserve a sun lounger, we are making every effort to ensure that our guests uphold the one-hour rule. We want our guests to get the most out of their beach house experience, so if our attendants notice that a sun lounger has been ‘reserved’ with a towel or personal effects, then he / she will remove the items after one hour if the lounger is not being used.