“Doesn't even compare to the Ritz”

Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 9 May 2014

We just returned from 10 days at the Marriott on SMB.

This is a direct comparison review to the Ritz. I have read much about both on Trip Advisor and have now stayed in both so I thought it best to compare the two for the sake of cost/value for money, etc.

1) The Marriott is cheaper to stay at than the Ritz.

2) It's resort fee of $35 is also considerably less than the $60 at it's bigger sister's place.

3) The Marriott is nicely situated close enough to Georgetown but far enough away from the cruise traffic, whereas the Ritz is up SMB about a 20 min walk from the Marriott.

4) The Marriott's beach is not narrow but it is not as wide as that of the Ritz.

5) The pool at the Marriott is tiny.

Discussions on the above:

1) The Marriott is not vastly, but is cheaper to stay at than it's counterpart. There is no getting around it.

2) The resort fee at the Marriott does not include much. The hotel will lead you to believe that it is value for money by telling you that you get beach towels, free wifi, and many other services, but realistically that is garbage. You have to sign out your beach chair towel and sign it back in, every day; the wifi is 'free' otherwise known as $14/day; the many other services include a tiny, humid gym (I note that they are going to be changing all of this in August/September...or so they say). Let's comapre this to the Ritz: beach towels are included and not signed out or in. In addition, somebody helps you every time to find a chair and sets up your towel for you; Wifi is not otherwised charged (from memory I think there was a faster charged connection but the room rate wifi was enough for me); the gym at the Ritz is large and has enough space for everybody to enjoy it...the air is not humid in there either; the resort fee at the Ritz includes all watersports equipment (inclusive of snorkels, paddleboards, kayaks, water bikes, etc); you also get complimentary coffee every morning at the Ritz in the lounge area.

3) The cruise traffic at the two hotels is negligible. The ONE thing I would mention is that the Marriott is in the business of allowing non-patrons to use their beach chairs. I read this in another review but saw it first hand where a woman from a neighbouring condo-hotel asked the beach guy if she could use the chairs, to which he said yes (for Ingrid, if you read this, that would be the young East Indian gentleman - I did not get his name - that doesn't crack a smile, barely talks and barely responds when you talk to him).

4) I will note that we saw the beach narrow as the trip went on and I attributed this, rightly or wrongly, to the tides. This might be why there are a number of negative posts about the front beach chairs sitting in the water, which they just about were on our last day. When we arrived on the island there was plenty of room between the front row and the ocean and the 4 rows of chairs were not packed in like sardines as suggested in other reviews. Note that weekends are far busier than weekdays and the whole idea of getting to the beach at 6:30am to get a front row is incorrect. The beach at the Ritz is much wider than the Marriott and quite pleasant but that would not be a deciding factor for me.

5) Last year I spent quite a bit of time in the pool, cooling off. This year I did not as the pool at the Marriott is tiny and frequented by children or a resort scuba dive course. The Ritz has 2 pools, the larger of which has floating chairs and has a lot of space.

Other notes:

I had to ask the front desk to have somebody pick up room service food that had been sitting on the floor in the hallway for more than a day. There were multiple rooms where this was the issue just in our one hallway. It was promptly picked up but I fail to see how cleaning staff did not rectify this on the first morning it was sitting there.

There is a deadbolt-style lock on the sliding doors exiting the hotel room. As we were on the ground floor I made sure this was locked each and every time I left the room as we were unable to fit everything in the safe (ipads, etc) so they were left out. One of the 2 days were elected to have housekeeping I checked the door before leaving the room to find that the maid(s) had left the door unlocked and open to anybody that wished to have a look around. I was not pleased and let the front desk know.

Overall I was disappointed with the Marriott, in part because I found it hard not to compare it against the Ritz. We went up to the Ritz for Sunday Brunch and were recognised by the staff there from last year. It is just a very pleasant place to be and everybody has a smile, whereas the Marriott has individuals that don't seem to care (our waitress at breakfast at Solana, for instance). On an island where a service such as restaurant automatically has a 15-16% gratuity on it, I expect to have good service and a smile at the VERY least. There are some that don't care. Having said that, Rod, Rodrigo, Lisa, and Evans over at Sol Bar were awesome. Nelson at the front door was very helpful and nice, even though it was only our last day when we had the chance to talk with him. On our last morning we ate at Red Parrot and had the breakfast buffet. I did not get his name (his wife works at the front in both Solana and Red Parrot) but the chef was extremely nice and helpful; he made french toast with gluten free bread and offered his help time and time again.

As much as there were nice individuals at the Marriott, our experience was better at the Ritz. I booked the Ritz for next year on our last day so as not to be disappointed again in missing out (it was fully booked this year). If you want peace and quiet, want to feel like you are on holiday and not in another hotel, then the Ritz is the place to stay.

Side Note: For those that dive, Ambassador Divers (located at the comfort inn) were phenomemal (Sarah, Ollie, Larry, and Chip)!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Kamal R
Marriott_GrandCayman, Manager at Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Dear Kamal R, thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay with us. We really appreciate your kind words with regards to a number of our staff members. I will make sure to tell Rod, Rodrigo, Lisa, Evans and Nelson that you mentioned them in your review - they will be delighted to learn that they made a positive impression on your stay with us.

The satisfaction of our guests is our top priority so we deeply regret that you found your experience with us disappointing. We appreciate all feedback that will help improve upon the experiences of our future guests. As you mentioned in your review, we will be undergoing a major renovation in September which will change the look and feel of all our communal areas, including our lobby, restaurants and fitness centre. I can confirm that our new gym will be bigger, have the most up to date work-out equipment as well as a fabulous view of Seven Mile Beach. We hope to welcome you back soon so we can show off the spectacular enhancements to our hotel.

With regards to your comments on our Resort Fee, it includes a number of popular amenities and activities that our guests enjoy such as wireless internet access across the resort, free bicycle rentals, unlimited local calls, the use of the floating trampolines and relaxation platforms at our beachfront and complimentary access to weekly beach bonfires (just to name a few). We feel that the value of all these services justify the cost of the Resort Fee.

Also, regarding your comments on Marriott allowing non-patrons to use our beach chairs, I can confirm that this is not our policy to do this. The use of our beachfront, pool and facilities is solely and exclusively reserved for our guests. I have shared your observation with our team and we are working towards ensuring that this misunderstanding does not occur again in the future.

I would like to welcome you to contact me if you would like to discuss this further. Please feel free to email me on ingrid.chaves@marriott.com or call me on (345) 949-0088.

Ingrid Chaves, Director of Rooms Operations

Write a ReviewReviews (5,378)

Reviewed 9 May 2014

I notice that all the reviews for this hotel note how friendly ALL the staff are and we had the same experience. I travel a lot for work and the friendliness is not common so it is pleasantly unexpected! The hotel was very clean and was in the perfect location. We loved the floating rafts out in the water and the fresh fruit juice bar in the lobby. One memory was when we decided to sit out by the water and watch the sunset. We stopped to get chair towels and thought maybe we were too late as the staff were gathering them up and were told "you are right on time".

Room Tip: We were on the top floor facing another hotel property but we could see the ocean to the far right f...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Karen R
Marriott_GrandCayman, Manager at Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Dear Karen R, we really appreciate you providing feedback on your recent stay with us. We are thrilled that your vacation exceeded expectations! Thank you also for your kind comments about our friendly staff and perfect location. I agree, our location on Seven Mile Beach is ideal - it is definitely one of the most beloved beaches in the Caribbean, if not the world! Nothing can beat its soft powdery white sand and the warm waters of our turquoise blue ocean.

I really like your story about enjoying the sunset from our beach - timing is everything! Watching the Cayman sunset is a big ritual for us and we want to share this amazing experience with our guests. You may have noticed that we set up distinctive right on the beachfront at the end of the day so guests have the perfect picture opportunity as the sun goes down. We hope that you were able to take part in some of our other beach house activities like our bonfire nights and movie screening under the stars. They are such wonderful settings to create special memories with loved ones!

Thank you for choosing Marriott and we hope to welcome you back to our resort again very soon.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

We stayed several nights for awork club incentive trip. The staff and in particular, Ravi, Anna and Leonardi the bartender made our stay even nicer. Highly recommend this venue. Rooms were clean and the food was fantastic as well.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Marriott_GrandCayman, Manager at Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Dear Lisa Z, thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on our hotel. We are delighted that you enjoyed your time with us! We appreciate all your generous comments about our wonderful staff, clean rooms and fantastic food. I will make sure to pass on your compliments to Ravi, Anna and Leonardi - they will be pleased to hear that they made your stay with us even nicer.

Did you have the chance to watch a few Cayman sunsets from the beach during you stay? You may have noticed that we like to make a ‘ritual’ out of it by setting up colourful chairs and sofas right along the beachfront at the end of the day so guests have the perfect picture opportunity as the sun goes down. We also host a couple bonfire nights during the week and hand out ingredients for guests to make S’mores. It is one of my favourite activities to do on the beach!

Thank you for recommending our hotel and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again very soon!

Reviewed 8 May 2014

The best thing about this hotel is the staff. For our entire six day stay every single employee we had contact with exceeded expectations. From the front desk to the concierge to housekeeping to food service to the towel distributors, everyone was pleasant, attendant to your needs, constantly asking if there was anything else they could do. They always seemed happy to see you and they seemed they were ready to do anything to insure your positive experience. While our stay was not entirely without issue, the issues that arose were minor in retrospect and were resolved quickly and, again, staff exceeded expectations. I really couldn't say enough about most of them. Hospitality professionals of the highest order.

We stay in Marriotts by preference whenever we can. This Marriott is not the most luxurious but it is in a great location on a narrow strip of Seven Mile Beach. Our room, 102, was a little dark. It was long and narrow and the only natural source of light was a shaded patio outside of the sliders. The bed was super comfortable. The room was clean and appeared to have been recently redone. The bath was adequate but not luxurious. No jet tub or double vanity or anything like that.

Our room was close to the main lobby so we could hear the entertainment in the evenings but it never went on too late. There was no beach view. In fact our "view" was of the Comfort Inn's pool next door but no access. It wasn't noisy over there so no problem. The courtyard is gorgeous with a man made stream running through it populated by turtles. There are little sitting areas amid the flora and fauna. Little lizards run about here and there. The pool is well maintained. The beach offers excellent and safe swimming and plenty of lounge chairs, at least at this time of year.

I have two (hopefully) constructive criticisms. At least three of the nights we were there the pool area was closed off to guests for private functions. As we tended to avoid the direct mid day sun, we wanted to swim in the pool in the evenings around four pm. For half of our stay, that was not possible and we felt a little put out by that. I'm not sure what the solution is because the management obviously wants to take advantage of the spectacular sunsets while serving private functions drinks and hor d'oeuvres but it takes a key amenity away from paying guests. I would find a solution to the satisfaction of all. Perhaps a temporary beach side platform that doesn't intrude on the pool patio but still offers function guests a stellar sunset.

The second criticism is the automatic tipping system. Yes, I understand that tipping is not usual in everyone's culture and it would shortchange the waitstaff if it weren't automatically added to every food bill but the Marriott adds 16% to everything, even self serve items. What do I mean? Well, if you want a couple of bottles of water from a cooler in the lobby, you walk up, grab them out of the cooler and go to the bar to pay. They charge you the price of the two bottles of water plus 16%! What??? Really???. A sandwich from the refrigerated case... 16%. A piece of fruit... 16%. A single drink at the bar... you guessed it. Now, when eating a meal, I usually added three or four percent to the check as I'm usually 20% tipper. However, in my country, 10% is typical for drinks at a bar and paying 16% on every little retail item like a soda or a piece of fruit is, well, gouging. Sorry. There must be a way to separate the table service from the retail service.

Other than that, I would definitely stay here again. I couldn't say enough about the staff. The food was pretty good at both restaurants we tried, The Red Parrot (Italian) and the Solana Bar (eclectic and Carribean). The sunsets were amazing and the beach was beautiful. Did I mention how great the staff was?

Room Tip: I've stayed at Marriott in Boston, Montreal, Niagara Falls and a few other locations. These room...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Sherlockzz, thank you for sharing feedback on your recent stay with us. We really appreciate your kind comments about our excellent staff and great location. I think we have the best staff in Cayman so I am delighted to hear that they are getting the recognition they deserve. Not only are they professional and friendly, they are some of the kindest people around.

I really like all the pictures that you included in your review. I see that you had the chance to check out our new fresh juice bar in the lobby. There are so many unhealthy and processed breakfast options out there that we wanted to be different and provide our guests with nourishing and wholesome food in the morning. A few our team members are even planning a trip to South Florida in the next few months to visit some organic fruit farms so that they can get some inspiration on new and exciting flavours and combinations. We hope that you had the opportunity to sample some of our fun flavours at the juice bar - it is such a great way to kick start your day.

Thank you also for your constructive feedback. The satisfaction of our guests is our top priority. I have shared your comments with the team so that we can work towards solutions that will help improve upon the experiences of our future guests.

We appreciate you choosing Marriott as your beach house in Cayman and we hope to welcome you back again to our beautiful island in the near future!

Enrique Tasende, General Manager

Reviewed 8 May 2014

Let me start off by saying I did not pay for this trip. So I don't know the costs of anything. But, the resort was very nice and the customer service was fantastic!!!!! Everyone was soo nice and accommodating, and we never heard no to anything! There was one waiter in particular, Michael, who seemed like he worked all day & night. We'd see him at breakfast then again closing out dinner service in the Red Parrot, a great onsite Italian restaurant. Michael may have been the nicest waiter I've ever met. He was always smiling, always nice and always energetic. I wish him the best, and hope you have the pleasure of meeting him while there. The resort overall is nice, I particularly liked the home made reef they put just off the beach. Feeding the fish in waist deep water was soo much fun. But watch out for Hook, a fish with a fishing hook in his mouth. He's always hungry and even will eat from your hand. He was the talk of our trip besides the great drinks & food. I am not a hot weather person, but the heat wouldn't stop me from going back there again if the opportunity arises. I hope you try the resort for yourself as well. And tell Michael I said hi! Enjoy.

Room Tip: Room overlooking the turtle pond versus the beach.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Chad S
Marriott_GrandCayman, Manager at Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Dear Chad S, thank you so much for writing a review on our hotel. I am so happy that you found the resort very nice and the customer service fantastic!

I am very flattered that you mentioned me in your review and that you think I am the nicest waiter you have every met. This is a major compliment and I really appreciate you going out of your way to share this with others! It really means a lot to us when guests remember and mention us by name in their reviews and feedback of their vacation experiences.

The Executive Team at Marriott is usually the one responsible for responding to Trip Advisor reviews but when I was told that you left such positive feedback on your stay with us, as well as pointing me out in particular, my director asked me to respond to you directly. So thank you again for all your kind comments about my excellent customer service – they have put a big smile on my face!

The next time you are in Cayman, please pass by the Red Parrot so we can see each other again – it would be great to catch up with you!

From all of us, thank you for choosing Marriott and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our beautiful island again very soon.

Wishing you all the best,
Michael Gonzalez, Food Server at Red Parrot

Reviewed 8 May 2014

Everyone working at the hotel is really so nice! We came for spring break with a 3 year old and 6 year old! They had a blast! There is great snorkeling at the hotel with tons of fish to see! You can bring small pieces of bread and feed them and more will come! They had docks, and trampolines for anyone wanting to sunbathe. The beach was very crowded and you did have to get a chair early. But I knew that coming! We went to grocery store after arriving and purchased beer, breakfast and some lunch items. There is plenty if service at the pool or beach and always smiling offering any help! They have activities for kids such as snail race, cotton candy, s'more party, lantern send off and few others. It was fun! The restaurants were good, we did taco night and pirate party, other nights we ate off site for dinner and few times for lunch.

Great location a few restaurants nearby and grocery store you can take local bus out front($8 for 4 of us) each way. Make sure you visit downtown Georgetown! Great snorkel area and restaurants, we missed shopping (husband happy) due to Good Friday but it looked like there was some good options!

Tip: Bring your own snorkel and fin gear, small pool toys, lots of sunscreen, sand buckets (they have a few but they disappear quickly), buy any drinks at grocery store - two near by, if hotel busy get chairs early, they have chair covers and towels so get both at towel desk, they have free water near pool, we liked lower floor room easy access for beach and pool for my little one.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank macdo

Dear macdo, thank you for taking the time to provide a review of our resort. We are thrilled that you and your family had a blast! We really appreciate your generous comments about our great hotel, nice staff and good restaurants.

We really want our guests to have the ultimate beach house experience so we are delighted that you were able to enjoy snorkelling at our Artificial Reef Project, our fun sand & sea activities such as the floating trampolines and our family activities like the bonfires, S’mores and lantern send off. It sounds like you and your family were really able to reconnect and spend quality time together!

Did you and the family also have the chance to check out Stingray City? It is incredible how timid these creatures are! Being able to stand in the Sand Bar while stingrays of all sizes surround you is really an experience that shouldn’t be missed. We really recommend this excursion to our guests and they often come back to tell us that it was the highlight of their trip.

Thank you for choosing Marriott and we hope to welcome you back again to our beautiful island very soon!

Reviewed 8 May 2014

Can't say enough about this property. Great beach, very friendly and accommodating staff, wonderful landscaping, on site restaurants were excellent. We went to a Buccaneer Buffet at the hotel. The buffet was excellent and the children in our group were enthralled by the Pirates, limbo contest, "tattoos" , etc. We will definitely go back as soon as we can. There a numerous top notch restaurants on the island with great ocean side decks . The tour to see the stingrays should not be missed. Also, catamaran trip with Red Sail to Rum Point for dinner was well worth it.

Room Tip: The courtyard view rooms were great.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank gary089

Dear gary089, thank you for sharing your thoughts on your recent stay at our resort. We are thrilled that you and your family had the best vacation ever! We really appreciate your kind comments about our great beach, very friendly and accommodating staff, wonderful landscaping and excellent restaurants.

We are so glad that you enjoyed your time at the Bucaneer’s Feast. Our guests often comment that it such a fun night out for all ages! Did your children have the chance to check out our Kids Club? When my General Manager asked me to come up with a kids’ program I wanted to offer our families something different rather than having a Kids Club where children just end up watching movies and playing on the PlayStation. I thought about all the activities that we used to enjoy from our childhood – so Kathryn (our Kids Club leader) and I chose activities that families could do together such as spending time around a bonfire and making S’mores, kite flying and building boats to race in the Turtle Lagoon. Our aim was to make it less about technology and more about re-connection. I hope your children had the opportunity to enjoy our kids program!

Thank you for choosing Marriott and we hope to welcome you and your family back to Cayman again very soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Seven Mile Beach
Caribbean Club
Caribbean Club
#1 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mi...
#6 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
Wyndham Reef Resort
Wyndham Reef Resort
#2 of 2 in East End

Been to Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort? Share your experiences!