“Great property”

Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

This hotel is great. The staff is friendly and the location is central. The food is also very good. Special thanks to Donnette, Sergio; Michael at Red Parrot; Jitesh for helping set up a wonderful reception; and all of the front desk staff (Nicholas, Alex, Laura, Sonia, and Carlos) for all of their hard work and dedication. Thanks again for a memorable stay and look forward to the next one.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Marriott_GrandCayman, Manager at Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Dear AJCC1, thank you for taking the time to review our resort. We are thrilled that you had a memorable stay! We really appreciate your kind comments about our great property, friendly staff and good food. I will make sure to pass on your compliments to Donnette, Sergio, Michael, Jitesh, Nicholas, Alex, Laura, Sonia and Carlos - they will all be delighted to hear that they made a positive impression during your time with us.

At our resort, the team approaches their jobs differently than other hotels. We go into work each day thinking from a guest’s perspective and we base our decisions on what we think will make their vacation experience with us unique and memorable. We always encourage our guests to assist us in defining a successful vacation — whether that be informing us of a special occasion being celebrated or telling us that their aim is to reconnect with their family. I am delighted to hear that our whole team were at the ready to assist you with your event!

Thank you for choosing Marriott and we hope to welcome you back to our beautiful island again very soon.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

If you are looking for a relaxing vacation with no rowdy people getting over served. This is the place to be. Having said that there are so much activity in the hotel with a different theme every night so getting bored is never an issue. I arrived late Wednesday (missed my connection) and was immediately welcomed by friendly faces and rum cake by the front desk. My husband arrived before me and was given cellphone so he can enjoy the beach while waiting for his room to be cleaned (he arrived early). Casseta's relaxing presence at the gift shop reminds me to slow down (I was rushing to shop beachware didn't had time to pack) and enjoy the hotel especially the Island. Caught on pretty quickly with the Island time. "everything tends to slow down in the Island-Casseta" and i couldnt agree more. Leonard & Nicole are very helpful & always have a smile in their faces as well. I have to commend the management, every single person in the hotel is very friendly & seems like happy to be working there. Employee's morale is very good! And it is very safe to walk around outside the resort. eat all you can lobster (Wednesday night) is to die for!! Do not forget to watch the majestic sunset while enjoying your dinner! One time everyone did a standing ovation for the sunset.... it is that beautiful!! Love this place will definitely come back with the rest of the family too!!

Room Tip: Ocean view is the way to go, there's an activity every night and its like getting a private show...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Marriott_GrandCayman, Manager at Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Dear Purplescent13, thank you for taking the time to provide such a positive review of our resort. We are thrilled that you and your husband experienced excellence beyond beyond words! We also appreciate your kind comments about our friendly and helpful staff and safe resort. I will make sure to pass on your compliments to Casseta, Leonard and Nicole - they will be very delighted to hear that they made such a lasting impression on your time with us.

I really like the stunning photo that you took of the Cayman sunset - it looks like you and your husband were able to take full advantage of our beautiful setting during your romantic dinner on the beach! Knowing that our guests love to watch the sunset during their vacation, we like to make a ritual out of it. You may have noticed that we set up colourful chairs and sofas right on the beachfront at the end of the day so guests have the perfect picture opportunity as the sun goes down. I am not surprised that it got a standing ovation!

Thank you for choosing Marriott and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back again very soon!

Reviewed 10 May 2014

Our family of four spent a week at this hotel and we were very pleased. We had an oceanfront room, beach was gorgeous with plenty of chairs and umbrellas. Pool was small and a little disappointing, but we heard the lobby and pool are being redone next year. Nelson, a front lobby employee was very helpful and courteous. Would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014

Dear Cle20142, thank you for providing a review of your recent stay with us. We really appreciate your kind words about our excellent hotel, gorgeous beach and top notch service! I will make sure to pass on your compliments to Nelson - he will be thrilled to hear that he made a lasting impression on your time with us.

Did you have the chance to dine with us at the resort? We are very proud of our various theme nights, which give us the opportunity to really showcase a diverse range of cuisines. One of my favorites is the Sushi Night at Balboa’s Lounge. I think we have one best sushi chefs on the island! Earlier this year, he went on an exploratory trip to California to discover the best ways of preparing sushi. The concepts that he has brought back with him are nothing short of the best and you can really tell when you sample his delicious dishes.

As you mentioned in your review we will be undergoing a massive renovation in September, which will affect all our communal areas including our lobby, restaurants and fitness centre. We expect the upgrades to be spectacular and we hope you have the opportunity to enjoy the fabulous enhancements to our resort during your next visit to Cayman.

Thank you for highly recommending us and we hope to welcome you and your family back to our beautiful island again very soon!

Reviewed 9 May 2014

We just returned from 10 days at the Marriott on SMB.

This is a direct comparison review to the Ritz. I have read much about both on Trip Advisor and have now stayed in both so I thought it best to compare the two for the sake of cost/value for money, etc.

1) The Marriott is cheaper to stay at than the Ritz.

2) It's resort fee of $35 is also considerably less than the $60 at it's bigger sister's place.

3) The Marriott is nicely situated close enough to Georgetown but far enough away from the cruise traffic, whereas the Ritz is up SMB about a 20 min walk from the Marriott.

4) The Marriott's beach is not narrow but it is not as wide as that of the Ritz.

5) The pool at the Marriott is tiny.

Discussions on the above:

1) The Marriott is not vastly, but is cheaper to stay at than it's counterpart. There is no getting around it.

2) The resort fee at the Marriott does not include much. The hotel will lead you to believe that it is value for money by telling you that you get beach towels, free wifi, and many other services, but realistically that is garbage. You have to sign out your beach chair towel and sign it back in, every day; the wifi is 'free' otherwise known as $14/day; the many other services include a tiny, humid gym (I note that they are going to be changing all of this in August/September...or so they say). Let's comapre this to the Ritz: beach towels are included and not signed out or in. In addition, somebody helps you every time to find a chair and sets up your towel for you; Wifi is not otherwised charged (from memory I think there was a faster charged connection but the room rate wifi was enough for me); the gym at the Ritz is large and has enough space for everybody to enjoy it...the air is not humid in there either; the resort fee at the Ritz includes all watersports equipment (inclusive of snorkels, paddleboards, kayaks, water bikes, etc); you also get complimentary coffee every morning at the Ritz in the lounge area.

3) The cruise traffic at the two hotels is negligible. The ONE thing I would mention is that the Marriott is in the business of allowing non-patrons to use their beach chairs. I read this in another review but saw it first hand where a woman from a neighbouring condo-hotel asked the beach guy if she could use the chairs, to which he said yes (for Ingrid, if you read this, that would be the young East Indian gentleman - I did not get his name - that doesn't crack a smile, barely talks and barely responds when you talk to him).

4) I will note that we saw the beach narrow as the trip went on and I attributed this, rightly or wrongly, to the tides. This might be why there are a number of negative posts about the front beach chairs sitting in the water, which they just about were on our last day. When we arrived on the island there was plenty of room between the front row and the ocean and the 4 rows of chairs were not packed in like sardines as suggested in other reviews. Note that weekends are far busier than weekdays and the whole idea of getting to the beach at 6:30am to get a front row is incorrect. The beach at the Ritz is much wider than the Marriott and quite pleasant but that would not be a deciding factor for me.

5) Last year I spent quite a bit of time in the pool, cooling off. This year I did not as the pool at the Marriott is tiny and frequented by children or a resort scuba dive course. The Ritz has 2 pools, the larger of which has floating chairs and has a lot of space.

Other notes:

I had to ask the front desk to have somebody pick up room service food that had been sitting on the floor in the hallway for more than a day. There were multiple rooms where this was the issue just in our one hallway. It was promptly picked up but I fail to see how cleaning staff did not rectify this on the first morning it was sitting there.

There is a deadbolt-style lock on the sliding doors exiting the hotel room. As we were on the ground floor I made sure this was locked each and every time I left the room as we were unable to fit everything in the safe (ipads, etc) so they were left out. One of the 2 days were elected to have housekeeping I checked the door before leaving the room to find that the maid(s) had left the door unlocked and open to anybody that wished to have a look around. I was not pleased and let the front desk know.

Overall I was disappointed with the Marriott, in part because I found it hard not to compare it against the Ritz. We went up to the Ritz for Sunday Brunch and were recognised by the staff there from last year. It is just a very pleasant place to be and everybody has a smile, whereas the Marriott has individuals that don't seem to care (our waitress at breakfast at Solana, for instance). On an island where a service such as restaurant automatically has a 15-16% gratuity on it, I expect to have good service and a smile at the VERY least. There are some that don't care. Having said that, Rod, Rodrigo, Lisa, and Evans over at Sol Bar were awesome. Nelson at the front door was very helpful and nice, even though it was only our last day when we had the chance to talk with him. On our last morning we ate at Red Parrot and had the breakfast buffet. I did not get his name (his wife works at the front in both Solana and Red Parrot) but the chef was extremely nice and helpful; he made french toast with gluten free bread and offered his help time and time again.

As much as there were nice individuals at the Marriott, our experience was better at the Ritz. I booked the Ritz for next year on our last day so as not to be disappointed again in missing out (it was fully booked this year). If you want peace and quiet, want to feel like you are on holiday and not in another hotel, then the Ritz is the place to stay.

Side Note: For those that dive, Ambassador Divers (located at the comfort inn) were phenomemal (Sarah, Ollie, Larry, and Chip)!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Kamal R

Dear Kamal R, thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay with us. We really appreciate your kind words with regards to a number of our staff members. I will make sure to tell Rod, Rodrigo, Lisa, Evans and Nelson that you mentioned them in your review - they will be delighted to learn that they made a positive impression on your stay with us.

The satisfaction of our guests is our top priority so we deeply regret that you found your experience with us disappointing. We appreciate all feedback that will help improve upon the experiences of our future guests. As you mentioned in your review, we will be undergoing a major renovation in September which will change the look and feel of all our communal areas, including our lobby, restaurants and fitness centre. I can confirm that our new gym will be bigger, have the most up to date work-out equipment as well as a fabulous view of Seven Mile Beach. We hope to welcome you back soon so we can show off the spectacular enhancements to our hotel.

With regards to your comments on our Resort Fee, it includes a number of popular amenities and activities that our guests enjoy such as wireless internet access across the resort, free bicycle rentals, unlimited local calls, the use of the floating trampolines and relaxation platforms at our beachfront and complimentary access to weekly beach bonfires (just to name a few). We feel that the value of all these services justify the cost of the Resort Fee.

Also, regarding your comments on Marriott allowing non-patrons to use our beach chairs, I can confirm that this is not our policy to do this. The use of our beachfront, pool and facilities is solely and exclusively reserved for our guests. I have shared your observation with our team and we are working towards ensuring that this misunderstanding does not occur again in the future.

I would like to welcome you to contact me if you would like to discuss this further. Please feel free to email me on ingrid.chaves@marriott.com or call me on (345) 949-0088.

Reviewed 9 May 2014

I notice that all the reviews for this hotel note how friendly ALL the staff are and we had the same experience. I travel a lot for work and the friendliness is not common so it is pleasantly unexpected! The hotel was very clean and was in the perfect location. We loved the floating rafts out in the water and the fresh fruit juice bar in the lobby. One memory was when we decided to sit out by the water and watch the sunset. We stopped to get chair towels and thought maybe we were too late as the staff were gathering them up and were told "you are right on time".

Room Tip: We were on the top floor facing another hotel property but we could see the ocean to the far right f...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Karen R

Dear Karen R, we really appreciate you providing feedback on your recent stay with us. We are thrilled that your vacation exceeded expectations! Thank you also for your kind comments about our friendly staff and perfect location. I agree, our location on Seven Mile Beach is ideal - it is definitely one of the most beloved beaches in the Caribbean, if not the world! Nothing can beat its soft powdery white sand and the warm waters of our turquoise blue ocean.

I really like your story about enjoying the sunset from our beach - timing is everything! Watching the Cayman sunset is a big ritual for us and we want to share this amazing experience with our guests. You may have noticed that we set up distinctive right on the beachfront at the end of the day so guests have the perfect picture opportunity as the sun goes down. We hope that you were able to take part in some of our other beach house activities like our bonfire nights and movie screening under the stars. They are such wonderful settings to create special memories with loved ones!

Thank you for choosing Marriott and we hope to welcome you back to our resort again very soon.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

We stayed several nights for awork club incentive trip. The staff and in particular, Ravi, Anna and Leonardi the bartender made our stay even nicer. Highly recommend this venue. Rooms were clean and the food was fantastic as well.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Marriott_GrandCayman, Manager at Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Dear Lisa Z, thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on our hotel. We are delighted that you enjoyed your time with us! We appreciate all your generous comments about our wonderful staff, clean rooms and fantastic food. I will make sure to pass on your compliments to Ravi, Anna and Leonardi - they will be pleased to hear that they made your stay with us even nicer.

Did you have the chance to watch a few Cayman sunsets from the beach during you stay? You may have noticed that we like to make a ‘ritual’ out of it by setting up colourful chairs and sofas right along the beachfront at the end of the day so guests have the perfect picture opportunity as the sun goes down. We also host a couple bonfire nights during the week and hand out ingredients for guests to make S’mores. It is one of my favourite activities to do on the beach!

Thank you for recommending our hotel and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again very soon!

Reviewed 8 May 2014

The best thing about this hotel is the staff. For our entire six day stay every single employee we had contact with exceeded expectations. From the front desk to the concierge to housekeeping to food service to the towel distributors, everyone was pleasant, attendant to your needs, constantly asking if there was anything else they could do. They always seemed happy to see you and they seemed they were ready to do anything to insure your positive experience. While our stay was not entirely without issue, the issues that arose were minor in retrospect and were resolved quickly and, again, staff exceeded expectations. I really couldn't say enough about most of them. Hospitality professionals of the highest order.

We stay in Marriotts by preference whenever we can. This Marriott is not the most luxurious but it is in a great location on a narrow strip of Seven Mile Beach. Our room, 102, was a little dark. It was long and narrow and the only natural source of light was a shaded patio outside of the sliders. The bed was super comfortable. The room was clean and appeared to have been recently redone. The bath was adequate but not luxurious. No jet tub or double vanity or anything like that.

Our room was close to the main lobby so we could hear the entertainment in the evenings but it never went on too late. There was no beach view. In fact our "view" was of the Comfort Inn's pool next door but no access. It wasn't noisy over there so no problem. The courtyard is gorgeous with a man made stream running through it populated by turtles. There are little sitting areas amid the flora and fauna. Little lizards run about here and there. The pool is well maintained. The beach offers excellent and safe swimming and plenty of lounge chairs, at least at this time of year.

I have two (hopefully) constructive criticisms. At least three of the nights we were there the pool area was closed off to guests for private functions. As we tended to avoid the direct mid day sun, we wanted to swim in the pool in the evenings around four pm. For half of our stay, that was not possible and we felt a little put out by that. I'm not sure what the solution is because the management obviously wants to take advantage of the spectacular sunsets while serving private functions drinks and hor d'oeuvres but it takes a key amenity away from paying guests. I would find a solution to the satisfaction of all. Perhaps a temporary beach side platform that doesn't intrude on the pool patio but still offers function guests a stellar sunset.

The second criticism is the automatic tipping system. Yes, I understand that tipping is not usual in everyone's culture and it would shortchange the waitstaff if it weren't automatically added to every food bill but the Marriott adds 16% to everything, even self serve items. What do I mean? Well, if you want a couple of bottles of water from a cooler in the lobby, you walk up, grab them out of the cooler and go to the bar to pay. They charge you the price of the two bottles of water plus 16%! What??? Really???. A sandwich from the refrigerated case... 16%. A piece of fruit... 16%. A single drink at the bar... you guessed it. Now, when eating a meal, I usually added three or four percent to the check as I'm usually 20% tipper. However, in my country, 10% is typical for drinks at a bar and paying 16% on every little retail item like a soda or a piece of fruit is, well, gouging. Sorry. There must be a way to separate the table service from the retail service.

Other than that, I would definitely stay here again. I couldn't say enough about the staff. The food was pretty good at both restaurants we tried, The Red Parrot (Italian) and the Solana Bar (eclectic and Carribean). The sunsets were amazing and the beach was beautiful. Did I mention how great the staff was?

Room Tip: I've stayed at Marriott in Boston, Montreal, Niagara Falls and a few other locations. These room...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Sherlockzz, thank you for sharing feedback on your recent stay with us. We really appreciate your kind comments about our excellent staff and great location. I think we have the best staff in Cayman so I am delighted to hear that they are getting the recognition they deserve. Not only are they professional and friendly, they are some of the kindest people around.

I really like all the pictures that you included in your review. I see that you had the chance to check out our new fresh juice bar in the lobby. There are so many unhealthy and processed breakfast options out there that we wanted to be different and provide our guests with nourishing and wholesome food in the morning. A few our team members are even planning a trip to South Florida in the next few months to visit some organic fruit farms so that they can get some inspiration on new and exciting flavours and combinations. We hope that you had the opportunity to sample some of our fun flavours at the juice bar - it is such a great way to kick start your day.

Thank you also for your constructive feedback. The satisfaction of our guests is our top priority. I have shared your comments with the team so that we can work towards solutions that will help improve upon the experiences of our future guests.

We appreciate you choosing Marriott as your beach house in Cayman and we hope to welcome you back again to our beautiful island in the near future!

Enrique Tasende, General Manager

Caribbean Club
Caribbean Club
#1 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mi...
#6 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
Wyndham Reef Resort
Wyndham Reef Resort
#2 of 2 in East End

Been to Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort? Share your experiences!