“Comfortable room, friendly staff, great snorkeling” 4 of 5 bubbles

Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
Los Angeles, California
“Comfortable room, friendly staff, great snorkeling”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

We stayed at an oceanfront room for 4 nights. Overall it was a lovely experience. When we checked in, we were given samples of rum cake and yummy juice. We had not requested an upper floor so we got a ground floor for the first night; Alex promised that we would be moved up to a higher floor the next day. The ground floor was just OK - we were at the Southern end, right in front of the pool so the view wasn't that great and there were always people hanging out right outside of our room. But I can see how families and others who want direct access to the pool/beach/bar from their rooms would find this convenient. But we were there for the view!

Our new room on the 3rd floor right above Solana had a spectacular view of the beach. Sunsets were gorgeous. The only downside was that it was extremely loud at night. There are events almost every night, and the restaurant and bar close at 10:30, so there is loud music playing until then. Sometimes people dine past closing so there were nights that we heard loud conversations until past 11pm. We didn't mind this too much. It was pretty quiet during the day. Perhaps the 4th and 5th floors are better? Everything else about the room was very nice - I'm not sure what the other reviewers meant when they said it was outdated...it was just fine with us :)

Most of the staff were very friendly, especially the guys at the entrance! Also loved the bar and the 5-7 happy hour :) Snorkeling was overall pretty good - the first day we didn't see much, but on subsequent days, we saw a stingray and a flounder on top of all of the other usual suspects.

Room Tip: For oceanfront rooms, make sure to call them ASAP to request what floor you want. 3rd view oceanfron...
1 Thank Gloria S
Marriott_GrandCayman, Manager at Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear Gloria S, we appreciate you giving a review of your recent experience with us. We are thrilled that you had a lovely time! Thank you for your generous comments about our nice and comfortable rooms, very friendly staff and spectacular views.

We know that our guests spend most of their time on the beach and in the water so we go out of our way to make sure they get the most out of their days. Did you have the chance to go on the Kittiwake Shipwreck Tour, which is organised by Red Sail Sports (next to the Towel Hut and pool)? They offer boat rides to the Kittwake a few times a week – it is one of the most unforgettable experiences! What I really like about it is that you don’t have to be an experienced diver to appreciate the wreck. It is one of the most accessible shipwrecks with the top of it within seven feet of the surface – it is like being in a swimming pool! Plus the wreck is slowly being transformed into an artificial reef and is teeming with colourful fish. It really is an experience that is not to be missed!

I also like the picture that you took of the gorgeous sunset. Watching the Cayman sunset is a big ritual for us and we want to share this experience with our guests. You may have noticed that we set up distinctive furniture right on the beachfront at the end of the day so guests have the perfect picture opportunity as the sun goes down. It looks like you had a great view from your balcony!

Thank you for choosing Marriott and we hope to welcome you back to our beautiful island again very soon.

Ingrid Chaves, Director of Rooms Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,443)
  • Polish first
New Orleans, Louisiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

I was very underwhelmed by my recent stay at Marriott Grand Cayman. The most disappointing part of the stay was the unfair and deceptive practice of telling customers that non motorized water sports would be included in the daily $35 resort fee only to be told later that those "sports" were actually flotation all devices in the water. Not included was snorkeling equipment, paddle boarding, and wind surfing. The claim that non motorized water sports were free at the time of reservation is a complete lie. I have received all of the items listed above for free when the same language was used with different hotel proprietors. Other issues I encountered on my stay was excessive noise until 3 am one night and that is with all of the bars closing at 10 pm ! Yes nothing is available outside past 10 - very disappointing. Additional items I found frustrating were mandatory 16% gratuity. This actually did nothing but hurt their staff as I did not add extra gratuity (standard 20%) that I typically leave elsewhere but it just lacks class. Otherwise, pricing and benefits for this resort are out of line - $300+ per night should at least get me free coffee in the lobby.

The seven mile beach was beautiful and staff were very friendly but in the end some of the little things (along with the blah rooms) just left me less than thrilled with my choice. Travelers note - Grand Cayman seriously lacks on nite life activities but the beaches, sting ray tours, snorkeling, etc. are all quite nice.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jfc073
Dear Jfc073, thank you for providing a review of your recent stay with us. We appreciate your kind words about our very friendly staff and beautiful beach.

The satisfaction of our guests is our top priority so we deeply regret that you found your experience with us disappointing. We appreciate all feedback that will help enhance the experiences of our future guests, therefore I have shared all your comments with the team and we are discussing how we can improve upon the items that you mentioned.

You may be interested to hear that we will be undergoing a major renovation in September, which will change the look and feel of all our communal areas, including our lobby, restaurants and fitness center. We hope to welcome you back soon so you can experience the spectacular upgrades to our resort.

Again we would like to extend our apologies and I would like to welcome you to contact me if you would like to discuss this further. Please feel free to email me on ingrid.chaves@marriott.com or call me on (345) 949-0088.

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

Fantastic property and service from beginning to end. The staff tries very hard to accommodate and excels at execution. The property appears recently refurbished and is in great condition and finish out for a beach property. I toured the Ritz and Westin while I was there. The Ritz was a little nicer and had a more upscale crowd that borderlined on stuffy, which is to be expected. The Westin wasn't nearly as nice and from the reviews the service is not as good either.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear dallasag, we appreciate you providing a review of our resort. Thank you for all your generous comments about our great property and fantastic customer service.

At our resort, the team approaches their jobs differently than other hotels. We go into work each day thinking from a guest’s perspective and we base our decisions on what we think will make their vacation experience with us unique and memorable. We always encourage our guests to assist us in defining a successful vacation — whether that be informing us of a special occasion being celebrated or telling us that their aim is to reconnect with their family. I am delighted to hear that you felt our staff tried very hard to accommodate and excelled at execution. This is a major compliment!

We really appreciate you acknowledging that our rooms have recently been refurbished. We are very proud of the upgrades and are looking forward to phase two of our renovations, which is taking place in September. We will be changing the look and feel of all our communal areas, including our lobby, restaurants and fitness centre. The enhancements are going to be spectacular and we can’t wait to reveal all the changes during your next trip to Cayman.

Las Vegas, NV
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

From the moment we arrived the staff was there to serve our every need. Ate several wonderful meals at the hotel and found the prices typically high as in most hotels, but similar in price to some of the wonderful restaurants nearby as well. Anna at Solana who served our breakfast several times was so friendly and always remembered what we liked. Beach is narrow but we always chose chairs up by the pool as to avoid the crowded section. But there's always room for everyone, never had to search for a place to relax. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Had a first floor room facing courtyard and it was very convenient and quiet.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear jkmomnjr, thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay with us. We are glad that you had an awesome vacation! We appreciate your kind words about our wonderful food and staff. I will make sure to tell Anna that you mentioned her – she will be glad happy to hear that you remembered her friendly customer service.

Did you have the chance to watch a few sunsets from the beach during you stay? We like to make a ‘ritual’ out of it by setting up colorful chairs and sofas right along the beachfront at the end of the day so guests have the perfect picture opportunity as the sun goes down. We also host a couple bonfire nights during the week and hand out ingredients for guests to make S’mores. It is one of my favorite activities to do with loved ones on the beach!

Thank you for choosing Marriott and we hope to welcome you back to our beautiful island again in the near future.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

My fiance and I had an amazing stay at the Marriott over Memorial day weekend! We got a great deal through a vacation package (so of course we were skeptical of the quality), but we saw several awesome reviews and thought we'd try it out. We were so pleased with the beauty, size, cleanliness, and service of the resort. Our room was a courtyard facing room on the first floor, but we were so happy with it, and sat on our mini "porch" every morning enjoying our coffee. The doormen, front desk attendants, water sports employees, servers, and all staff were friendly and always willing to help. Our maid, Janet, was so sweet and we always saw her smiling and giving us a wave every day when we walked down our hall. The only negative is the price of food and drinks, which are exorbitantly expensive, so I'd recommend bringing a loaf of bread and a jar of peanut butter for breakfast, along with a few snacks, if you're on a budget. We will definitely be visiting again--it was such a wonderful experience overall!

Room Tip: The courtyard facing rooms are worth it and are not a compromise at all!
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear 875Sara, thank you for leaving feedback on your recent vacation with us. We are delighted that you and your fiancé had an amazing stay over the Memorial Day weekend! We really appreciate your kind words about the beauty, size and cleanliness of our resort as well as our excellent customer service. Thank you also for your compliments regarding our friendly and helpful staff. I will make sure to tell Janet that you mentioned her – she will be glad to hear that she made a positive impression on your time with us.

We are sorry that you felt the food offered at the hotel was expensive. I live in Cayman so I completely sympathise with your comments on how expensive food is. Unfortunately one of the few downsides of living in our beautiful island is the high cost of food overall due to the number of items that are imported from abroad. As much as we try to source locally grown food, there are many circumstances where this is not possible. For example, some vegetables and fruits cost 30% more in Cayman than in any state in the US because they are brought in from oversees.

Nonetheless I am happy to hear that you had a wonderful experience and we hope to welcome you and your fiancé back again very soon!

Basking Ridge, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

Enjoyed my short time at the resort. Staff were very helpful and attentive (Front Desk and House-keeping in particular). Managed to get some beach time and scuba in as well so that was a big bonus. Onsite dive shop and beach team were also fantastic.

Room Tip: Try to get beach facing of course. I did not, but the courtyard view wasn't bad.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear S-G S, we appreciate you leaving feedback on your recent stay with us. Thank you for your generous comments about our helpful and attentive staff.

That is fantastic that you were able to fit in some sea and sand time during your trip. I think Seven Mile Beach is one of the most picturesque beaches in the Caribbean with its calm and warm waters and soft powdery sand - it really can’t be beat! Were you able to explore our Artificial Reef Project which is just a short swim from our beachfront? Many of our guests tell us that they really enjoy snorkelling around the man-made reef balls and often bring breadcrumbs to feed the colourful fish that surround the area. I am glad to hear that you had the chance to dive as well!

Thank you for choosing Marriott and we hope to welcome you back very soon.

Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

I travel to and around the Caribbean on business 8 times a year, and stay in many different hotels. This was my first stay at the Marriott, and I couldn't have been more peasantly surprised. Each and every member of staff could not do enough for me, and made me feel very welcome. From the bar staff to house keeping (I had a lovely house maid called Lisa who would always say hello and chat when she came), everyone was most pleasant. The facilities and the hotel itself are wonderful, if you are visiting Cayman on leisure or business, I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear Daniel M, thank you so much for providing a review of your recent stay with us. Coming from a frequent visitor to the Caribbean, your kind words about our welcoming and pleasant staff (I will make sure to tell Lisa that you mentioned her!) as well as our wonderful facilities and hotel is a major compliment.

Did you have the opportunity to check out Solana on our beach for breakfast during your stay? The restaurant offers a number of delicious options including “all you can eat” almond pancakes, Caribbean-inspired eggs benedict and our signature lobster omelet. Plus you can’t beat our view of the sparkling turquoise blue ocean while you drink your morning coffee!

Thank you for recommending us and we hope to welcome you back to Cayman again very soon. This time hopefully for leisure!