“Great Hotel!”

Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 13 June 2014

My husband and I stayed here about 2 weeks ago for our 1 year anniversary and loved it. The water and beach are beautiful and we def took advantage of the floating devices in the water. I also loved the man made reef where I could snorkel just outside our hotel room. We were granted a complimentary upgrade to garden view which was quiet and nice. I heard that we were there during the slow season, so it made sense why there were always plenty of seats on the beach and overall, it never felt crowded at all. The room was nice as expected for a 4 star hotel. The front desk and concierge were very nice and helpful with everything. The fact that they have the water sports company there where you can reserve activities such as snorkeling was great and convenient. My only complaints would be that all of the TVs in the fitness center had signs that said "out of order" and the food and drinks are very expensive. However, the food is very good. The drinks on the beach are weak though. With that said, we tried to eat outside of the hotel twice and once was a disappointment while still being expensive and the other was really good (Lobster Pot) but very expensive. Don't miss out on Taco Night at the hotel!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sonya Y
Marriott_GrandCayman, Manager at Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2014

Dear Sonya Y, thanks for taking the time to leave a review of your recent vacation with us. We are so glad that you loved it!

I agree, I think Seven Mile Beach is one of the most beautiful beaches in the Caribbean with its soft powdery white sand and clear turquoise waters. At our resort, we do our best to provide our guests with the ultimate beach house experience by creating a fun and relaxed atmosphere where loved ones can spend quality time together. It sounds like you were able to take advantage of many of the fun sand & sea activities that our resort has to offer!

Regarding your comments about the high cost of food, I live here so I can really sympathize. Unfortunately one of the few downsides of living in our beautiful island is the high cost of food overall due to the number of items that are imported from abroad. As much as we try to source locally grown food, there are many circumstances where this is not possible. For example, some vegetables and fruits cost 30% more in Cayman than in any state in the US because they are brought in from oversees. Thank you, however, for saying that the food that we offer at our restaurants is very good. I absolutely agree! We are proud of our various theme nights, which give us the opportunity to really showcase a diverse range of cuisines. I am delighted that you enjoyed Taco Night!

You may be interested to hear that we will be undergoing phase two of our renovations in September, which will affect our communal areas including the lobby, restaurants and fitness center. The upgrades are going to be spectacular and we hope to have the opportunity to show them off to you during your next trip to Cayman.

We hope to welcome you back again very soon, perhaps for your second anniversary next year?

Ingrid Chaves, Director of Rooms Operations

Write a ReviewReviews (5,378)

Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

It was my second visit to the resort celebrating my birthday. The staff was nice and friendly making my birthday special one. They even surprise me on the Balboa lounge with a fantastic desert ! Thanks to Syrene, Ruby Ann, Jasmine, Neal Yonaica and other staff members such as Ingrid Pamela, Mark and Mr Enrique. See you next year!
Lisbeth

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank lisbethgc

Dear lisbethgc, thanks for your glowing feedback on your recent stay with us. We are thrilled to hear that you had a relaxing vacation and you enjoyed your second visit to our hotel!

At our resort, the team approaches their jobs differently than other hotels. We go into work each day thinking from a guest’s perspective and we base our decisions on what we think will make their vacation experience with us unique and memorable. We always encourage our guests to assist us in defining a successful vacation - whether that be informing us of a special occasion being celebrated or telling us that their aim is to reconnect with their family. I am delighted to hear that our team made you feel special on your birthday!

I will also make sure to pass on your compliments to Syrene, Ruby Ann, Jasmine, Neal, Yonaica, Pamela, Mark and Enrique. Each and everyone of us always feel so special when guests acknowledge our friendly service in their reviews.

Thanks for choosing Marriott and we look forward to welcoming you back next year for your third visit!

Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

OMG this was Awesome or should I say Simply. Awesome talking bout being treated like king and queen for a day understatement of the year pure awesomness.. We got there on the 7th left on the 11 everyone was nice the service was Perfect and I would gladly. Come back again and again and again and again

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Shanno S

Dear Shanno S, thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay with us. We are so glad to hear that you had an awesome time!

We know all too well the stress that goes along with travelling – from dealing with tight security procedures at the airport and getting on a cramped and uncomfortable plane to arriving at your destination only to be welcomed by lines to get through Immigration and Customs, retrieving your luggage and catching a taxi – we know that that the ‘beginning’ of a vacation is not usually fun. But once you get to our hotel, we want all of the stress of travelling to melt away. We want you to feel that you have finally ‘arrived’ and your vacation has officially begun. I am delighted to hear that you were treated like a king and queen during your vacation!

Thank you for choosing us as your Beach House in Cayman and we hope to welcome you back the next time you visit our beautiful island.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

I happened to be at this hotel during one of the worst weekends (weather-wise) BUT I will be objective in evaluating the service and quality of the hotel because that weather obviously was not their fault :) Overall, the hotel was nice, modern, and clean. The beachfront was nice and the hotel had fun floating rafts in the water so people could just chill out along with a beachfront bar, which is always a plus! I did think the beach further down was a bit nicer so it's worth taking a walk (although a good portion of the beach is private property so you can't really hang out on those parts of the sand--we still snuck in the water in those parts though). The staff was very friendly and I did not feel that there was bad service at any time during my stay- they even called our room mid-trip to see how we were enjoying the property which I thought was a nice touch and great way to report feedback if we had any. The front desk staff was also very helpful! The food at the beach bar was pretty good and I loved that they had Happy Hour drink specials from 10am-noon and 5-7pm each day. We didn't really do much more eating at the property besides room service for breakfast which was also good. Luckily, there were a few great restaurants across the street and down the road from the hotel. We ate at Agua one night- delicious seafood and cocktails. There is a craft beer place across the way, called Craft F&B, great cocktails and beer and the food was also good. There is also a jerk chicken place across the street called Peppers which was pretty good. We rented a car so we could explore the other parts of the island- about 40 minutes away is Rum Point and also Kaibo Beach Bar- great spot- was POURING the day we went there but would still highly recommend as another beach to visit. We had a nice time despite the rain and would imagine it's soo much fun when the weather is good!! Overall, I was not blown away by the Marriott itself (I've stayed at more impressive beachfront properties) but it was a good hotel and met my expectations especially for the value (I booked a package via CheapCaribbean.com, so not sure what the standard rates were).

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ali N
Marriott_GrandCayman, Manager at Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Dear Sarah C, thank you so much for leaving a review. I am so sorry to hear that the weather wasn’t cooperating during your stay with us but we are delighted that you still had a wonderful time. Luckily there are still a lot to do on our beautiful island even when it rains!

Thank you also for your generous comments about our nice and modern hotel and friendly staff. It sounds like had some fun times at our beach bar, Sol Bar for Happy Hour. Many guests have commented on how much they enjoy our creative cocktails and conch fritters - it is one of our signature dishes! I have to agree, Sol Bar is such a nice place to hang out and unwind with a loved one - it is such a chilled ambience and what can beat the gorgeous view of the turquoise blue ocean right there?

You may be interested to hear that we will be undergoing phase two of our renovations in September, which will change the look and feel of all our communal areas, including our lobby, restaurants and fitness center. The resort is going to look spectacular and we hope to have the chance to welcome you back soon so we can show off all the stunning enhancements to our hotel.

We appreciate you choosing us as your Beach House in Cayman and hope to see you again very soon!

Reviewed 9 June 2014

My husband and I stayed here with another couple for 5 days in June 2014. We were greeted with the doorman Nelson which was a sweetheart. He helped us out a lot during our stay with restaurant recommendations and made our stay a delight. Check in was a breeze and we were greeted with some kind of non alcoholic punch. The front desk was very unclear about the $35 daily resort fee until we asked about it. Good thing we didn't have to pay for it since we booked through jetblue and they covered it. The $35 literally covered nothing. It states that it covered internet, which we did take advantage of. A daily snack by the pool/ beach consists of either some nasty ice cream bar on some days and cotton candy on other days. that was extremely disappointing. Other resorts that we've been to had chicken or fruits as a snack. I don't think this $35 resort fee is fair because it's not an option. Why add it to the room after it is booked? It feels like it's such a scam. They don't tell you how to access the web unless you ask them about it. Very uninformative.

We got a room on the 2nd floor overlooking the garden area, it was not the best of views but another room with an ocean view was an extra $150 a night. we stuck with the original rooms. It was a lot smaller than we pictured. The bathroom was small and it was extremely difficult to shower without banging my elbow on the wall or on the shower curtain. Very frustrating. All the fixtures need to be cleaned or updated. The toilet paper holder was old and rusty, the faucets were leaky. When we showered, the faucet would leak and the shower had no pressure. The towel hooks were rusty. Everything was just dated. The sheets were moist, I think that was just because we were in the Caribbean but the comforter smelled very mildewy. Eww!! The TV was new and updated and the fiji water in the room had a charge of $4.50 a bottle. We stocked up at the supermarket. If you're visiting Grand Cayman, it would be an excellent idea to rent a car, it's much less expensive than a cab and the public bus was tiny and ran every half an hour during rush hour.

We didn't have much of a problem with getting seats by the pool or the beach. There were always plenty of seats available and we didnt' have a problem getting towels from the hotel. The beach by the hotel was beautiful but very rocky. My husband got cut on his foot from stepping in some shallow water. The floating devices were alright, very unique since we've never seen them at other resorts but were limited. The pool was extremely small and looked nothing like the pictures show. There is no infinity pool and no swim up bar which was disappointing.

I went to the spa for a spa pedicure which was $55 CI. I expected a lot more. The pedicurist did not speak besides telling me to switch feet. Awkward... It should've been 50 min cleaning/ massage. but no. I probably got a regular pedicure cleaning. Got a 5 min massage where absolutely no pressure was used, it felt like she was just touching my feet. I told her to use more pressure, she didn't respond and did not use more pressure. The whole procedure took about 40 min and I was left to sit in the room alone for 10 min while the nail polished dried. I really don't understand what a spa pedicure is. That was just a regular pedicure in New York City standards and I would've paid about $20 US for it. Yes, I was upset!!

We did not try any restaurants at this resort so I can't review it.

Overall I would not visit this resort again. The island was beautiful, some of the staff was friendly but the rooms need to be updated!!

Room Tip: The only pro about being on the 2nd floor was that it was easy access to the beach with the stairs.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Carman L

Dear Carman L, thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay with us. I will make sure to tell Nelson that you said he was a sweetheart in your review – he will be delighted to hear that he made a positive impression on your time with us.

The satisfaction of our guests is our top priority so we deeply regret that you found your experience with us disappointing. I have shared your comments with the team so that we can evaluate where improvements can be made.

With regards to your comments on our Resort Fee, it includes a number of popular amenities and activities that our guests enjoy such as wireless internet access across the resort, free bicycle rentals, unlimited local calls, the use of the floating trampolines and relaxation platforms at our beachfront and complimentary access to weekly beach bonfires (just to name a few). We feel that the value of all these services justify the cost of the Resort Fee.

You may also be interested to hear that we will be undergoing a major renovation in September which will change the look and feel of all our communal areas, including our lobby, restaurants and fitness center. The upgrades are going to look fabulous and we hope to welcome you back soon so we can show off the spectacular enhancements to our resort.

Again we apologize that you were disappointed with aspects of your vacation experience. I welcome you to contact me if you would like to discuss this further. Please feel free to email me on ingrid.chaves@marriott.com or call me on (345) 949-0088.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Arrived at the hotel to be greeted with a free drink & piece of rum cake as we were booking in, this was just the start of some excellent attentive service, Our room was on the side, you could see the sea from the balcony. The room had a massive bed with a very nice well stocked bathroom. It also had free use of a safe, a coffee/tea maker, also a fridge to use(no minibar). There was plenty of wardrobe/storage space and the entrance to the room was about 8ft wide. We had breakfast as part of our deal, which was just as well as it was $51 for the two of us, that said the choice & quality of the breakfast was first class.We ate at several different places with all being reasonably expensive. The Sol Bar served us excellent fish & chips on the beach as we watched the magnificent sunset. We also liked the smokehouse & craft restaurants across the road.The smokehouse has a limited menu but the food is good the beer cheap & has a great atmosphere if there is a live singer.The back of the hotel has a lovely lagoon with small turtles & places to sit with background music always playing a great place to chill.This leads to the beach where you can get free beach towels & sunbeds & they will even come & drill in a parasol if there isn't one available.The beach itself is at the start of the famous seven mile beach 7 and is the best I have ever seen, The sea was nice & clear & warm, just out from the Marriott they have put lots of reef balls just under the sea, so take a snorkeling mask and you won't be dissapointed.There is a free courtesy bus each day to the Turtle Park which is well worth a visit you just let reception know and they call the park. Try to get out to the Sandbar to see the stingrays as this is an unforgettable experience.There is also free bike hire from the hotel, It was also great that they don't allow sellers on the beaches so you can relax in peace. The staff at the hotel were great & if I ever return to the Cayman Islands I would have no hesitation to stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear SONOF62, we really appreciate you taking the time to provide a review of your recent stay with us. It sounds like you were able to enjoy a lot of what our beautiful island has to offer!

Thank you also for your kind words about our excellent and attentive customer service and the delicious food at our restaurants. What I really like about our hotel is that it is close to nature. We have a number of native creatures that live in our Turtle Lagoon that roam the gardens on our property (making great photo opportunities). I am so glad to hear that you were able to take the opportunity to chill out by the lagoon – it is such a tranquil place to relax and decompress.

I really like the pictures that you took of our beach, especially the one of the stunning Cayman sunset. Watching the sunset is a big ritual for us and we want to share this experience with our guests. You may have noticed that we set up colorful furniture right on the beachfront at the end of the day so guests have the perfect picture opportunity as the sun goes down. We hope that you were able to take part in some of our beach house activities like our bonfire nights and movie screening under the stars. They are such wonderful settings to create special memories with loved ones!

Thank you for choosing us as your Beach House in Cayman and we hope to welcome you back again very soon.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

We definitely enjoyed our first vacation in Grand Cayman, we enjoyed our stay at the hotel we hardly left the property. Everyone was so nice and helpful. Specially Pablo at the frontdesk that set the tone to a very welcoming hotel. Neil at the Balboa Bar was very nice.The staff that we will always remember for being so friendly and helpful was Cate Castro at the towel area, she was always warm and friendly, always watchful to see if we need extra help since we travelled with 2 kids.
We tried all the restaurants and I have to say that everything we tried was really good. The pasta and the mousse cake was the best.
It was a great hotel with great staff. Will definitely come back!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Marriott_GrandCayman, Manager at Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Dear Lena I, we appreciate you providing a review on your recent stay with us. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your first vacation in Cayman! Thank you for your kind words about our great hotel, nice and helpful staff and good restaurants. I will make sure to pass on your compliments to Pablo, Neil and Cate. They will so glad to hear that you remembered them and their friendly customer service!

I agree, there are so many fun activities happening at our resort that it is easy not to venture out! Did your children have the chance to check out our Kids Club? Kathryn (our Kids Club leader) and I chose activities that we hoped families would do together like pottery painting, a family scavenger hunt and kite flying. We wanted parents and kids to spend quality time together and it was our aim to make it all about re-connecting with loved ones. We hope that you and your family were able to do just that!

Thank you for choosing us as your Beach House in Cayman and we hope to welcome you and your family back for your second visit to our beautiful island in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Seven Mile Beach
Caribbean Club
Caribbean Club
#1 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mi...
#6 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
Wyndham Reef Resort
Wyndham Reef Resort
#2 of 2 in East End

Been to Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort? Share your experiences!