“you can't talk at night”

Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 21 June 2014

So our first room we checked into reeked of raw sewage once you opened the balcony door. We made a call to the front desk and their explanation was "it's usually on the other side." No place should ever stink of sewage. They accommodated us by changing our room, but after going out for the night and returning, we were called by the front desk with noise complaints after having a normal noise level conversation. This was less than 5 minutes after returning, mind you. If you have guests complaining of other rooms having a normal conversation, you obviously have cheap walls with zero insulation and you need to do something to remedy that. We haven't heard a peep from any other room, so I find it hard to believe that someone was that disturbed by us immediately when we are not loud and obnoxious. Granted there were three young gentlemen walking down the hall when we returned, on the phone loudly, but it must have come from our specific room? I find that hard to believe. And the hotel's solution? Send up 2 security guards to stand in the hall without actually letting anyone know of their presence, and they could "hear us talking." Talking. Not yelling or screaming or being out of control. This is not the standard of hotel or "resort" I would recommend to anyone. Or if you must come here , don't talk after dark. You will get reprimanded.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank yeeness
Marriott_GrandCayman, Manager at Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear yeeness, thanks for providing a review of our resort. We are deeply sorry to hear about the issues involving the rooms that you stayed in.

We appreciate any comments that will help us improve upon the experiences of our guests. I have shared your feedback with the whole team so that we can evaluate what we could have done better to handle the situations you have mentioned. But again, I would like to extend my most sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused by the two rooms you stayed in.

Please feel free to contact me personally so we can discuss what happened in more detail. We want to do what we can to ensure that our guests are enjoying their time with us. You can email me on ingrid.chaves@marriott.com or call me on (345) 949-0088.

Ingrid Chaves, Director of Rooms Operations

Write a ReviewReviews (5,384)

Reviewed 21 June 2014

I had done research on this hotel and cayman islands for about a year before going and read so many mixed reviews.
One thing you will take away is that the island is absolutely beautiful, I have been to many places and this is gorgeous, the beach is incredible.
The beach area at the hotel is very good, great snorkeling around the reefs, lots of beautiful fish. It was a nice set up with all the rafts/trampolines.
As everyone else says "it is expensive", we picked up bottles at duty free on way into Cayman and we also shopped at the grocery store (20 minute walk from hotel, nice walk) which we had breakfast and lunch, so we really only went out for dinners. Lots of beautiful restaurants on the water near the hotel (but still expensive but worth it).
The hotel itself is fine, its not really a 5 star hotel, marriott has many hotels that are way nicer but it was a very adequate hotel. Maids did a great job each day and people at the front doors were very friendly, cant take that away from them. The front desk people I was not overly pleased with as at check out time they tried to charge me a higher rate than what I was quoted, literally had to fight with them on the extra charges, luckily I brought my invoice with me from the marriott rewards program and they still wanted to charge me more when it was right there in black and white, really put a damper on the end of a nice week getaway.
The beach area is also alright, it is busy but the job of the hotel is to have a high occupancy rate so that will make the beach area busy but you will never have an issue getting a chair, you dont really have to worry about the front row chairs when you have a nice beach and great water, I'm not one to go and spend my holiday sitting on a chair when you have beautiful water like they do.
It is a ride range of ages at the hotel, lots of families, lots of weddings but its a vacation place so it was fine.
I did not have a great experience at the restaurant, no one came to serve us after 10 minutes, I had to go and find someone and then it still was not great service, I have always been a great tipper regardless but this waitress did not deserve the gratuity (sorry).
It is also waaay too many points for this hotel when you can stay at a JW Marriott in a place like Palm Dessert (one of the nicest hotels I have ever stayed in).
Lastly, take a trip down to the peer, its a good half hour walk but nice to see, also do the stingray city, it is a once in a lifetime trip.

Room Tip: yes it would have been great to be in a room with an ocean view but we did face the courtyard, a cou...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Derek M, thank you for providing a review on your recent vacation with us. We appreciate your kind words about our nice beach area, great snorkeling at our Artificial Reef as well as our friendly front door and housekeeping staff.

The satisfaction of our guests is our top priority so we deeply regret that you were disappointed with some aspects of your stay. You may be interested to hear that we will be undergoing a major renovation in September which will change the look and feel of all our communal areas, including our lobby, restaurants and fitness centre. The updates are going to be impressive and we hope to welcome you back soon so we can show off the spectacular new design of our resort.

But I really appreciate you bringing to my attention the areas of your vacation that you felt warranted improvement. I have shared your comments with the team and we are evaluating what we can do to enhance the experiences of our future guests.

I welcome you to contact me if you would like to discuss this further. Please feel free to email me on ingrid.chaves@marriott.com or call me on (345) 949-0088.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

After 5 nights at the Marriott Grand Cayman Beach Resort, I would definitely visit this property again. The thing that stood out the most for me was the great guest services provided by this property. Even though I booked my stay with Marriott Points + Pay, every detail was attended to to make my family's stay a memorable one. Even prior to the trip, Davina reached out to me via email to ask about any assistance needed for my stay. I mentioned that this trip was celebrating our 25th Wedding Anniversary, not thinking anything of it. Upon returning from dinner our first night, we had Champagne and Strawberries along with a nice note from Davina. She also took care of Spa reservations well in advance. Room 558 was on the top floor and the closest "partial ocean view" to the beach and had a great view. Overall service at this property was up to Marriott Resort standards in all areas, in my view

With all of the great restaurants on the island, we did not utilize the restaurants on the property, but the outside Solara restaurant looked like a great venue. The pool is not as expansive as many Marriott resorts, but with the Caribbean 20 feet away.... no one cared! The beach got a bit tight by the end of the day, but in reality, it wasn't that bad.

Location of the property was perfect. The rooms and property are a little older, but rooms and lobby areas were all recently remodeled. Free parking was a plus!!

Room Tip: I requested a "partial ocean view" room that was close to the ocean (vs. closer to the lob...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Clevelander5
Marriott_GrandCayman, Manager at Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

Dear Clevelander5, thanks for sharing feedback on your recent stay with us. We are glad that you had a great time! We really appreciate your kind comments about our great customer service. I will make sure to pass on your compliments to Davina. She will be delighted to hear that she was instrumental in making your family’s vacation with us a memorable one.

I agree, I think we have the most professional, kindest and friendliest staff in Cayman! At our resort, the team approaches their jobs differently than other hotels. We go into work each day thinking from a guest’s perspective and we base our decisions on what we think will make their vacation experience with us unique and memorable. We always encourage our guests to assist us in defining a successful vacation — whether that be informing us of a special occasion being celebrated or telling us that their aim is to reconnect with their family. I am delighted to hear that our staff made you feel special on your anniversary!

Thank you for choosing us as your Beach House in Cayman and we hope to see you and your family again very soon.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Our first trip to Grand Cayman. I'm big on Marriott, so naturally I chose the Marriott Beach Resort. This place did not disappoint! Beautiful accommodations and the entire staff was exceptional. Good location on Seven Mile Beach. Walking distance of many restaurants. We had a king balcony suite overlooking the pool and beach. Very enjoyable beach vacation.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank LisaEmmaGreg

Dear LisaEmmaGreg, thanks for providing a review of our resort. We are happy to hear that you had a wonderful family vacation! We really appreciate your kind words about our beautiful accommodations, good location and exceptional staff.

Did your daughter have the chance to check out our Kids Club? When my General Manager asked me to come up with a kids’ program I wanted to offer our families something different rather than having a Kids Club where children just end up watching movies and playing on the PlayStation. I thought about all the activities that we used to enjoy from our childhood – so Kathryn (our Kids Club leader) and I chose activities that families could do together such as spending time around a bonfire and making S’mores, kite flying and building boats to race in the Turtle Lagoon. Our aim was to make it less about technology and more about re-connection. We hope she was able to enjoy some of the activities that our Kids Club has to offer!

Thanks for choosing us as your Beach House in Cayman and we hope to welcome you and your family back again for your second trip to our beautiful island very soon!

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Marriott has the best sand on their beach of anywhere on Seven Mile Beach, but the food has been a great surprise. Normally, we wouldn't each a lot at the resort, but with a food credit and excellent food, we have really enjoyed it. Walter Fernandez has had the good luck (or misfortune) to be our waiter several times and he is wonderful. Helpful, informative, cheery and a great find. He's better than a concierge. Thanks Walter for making our meals so memorable.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear flipflopdoni, thanks so much for sharing feedback on your recent vacation with us. We really appreciate your glowing comments about our beautiful beach and excellent food. I will make sure to tell Walter that he made it into your review – he will be thrilled to hear all the wonderful things that you said about him and that he made your meals with us memorable.

At our restaurants, we provide our guests fresh, simple and innovative dishes. By offering various specialty nights, we feel that we can really showcase a diverse range of delicious cuisines. We also send our chefs on exploratory trips across the globe to sample the best dishes from various regions. From the famous Mercado next to the Paseo De Gracia in Barcelona to the best sushi restaurants in California, our chefs travel around the world to find inspiration and the concepts that they bring back to Cayman is nothing short from the best. What we offer guests is a multi-sensory culinary experience, inspired by our island’s international flair. We are glad that you were pleasantly surprised by our delicious food!

You may be interested to hear that we will be undergoing phase two of our renovations in September, which will include all our communal areas such as our lobby, restaurants and fitness center. We are very excited about all the fabulous upgrades that we have planned and we look forward to showing them off to you during your next trip to our beautiful island!

Thanks for choosing us as your Beach House in Cayman and we hope to see you very soon!

Damien Woodhead, Director of Food & Beverage

Reviewed 20 June 2014

This Marriott is an older style but kept up nicely. At check in Pablo was Great and Daniell at the door was fabulous and daughter looked forward to talking gymnastic with him!! The pool area is small but we enjoyed the beach and the ocean the best. They have artificial reefs right out front, but go beyond and the real reef is even better. We saw a large parrotfish and grouper.

The rooms are just regular hotel rooms, wish they had larger options with a little kitchenette, etc. Also wish the pool had a slide or lazy river for the price of the rooms.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear 3ml, thanks for providing feedback on your recent stay with us. We are glad to hear that you and your family had a nice and relaxing time with us! Pablo and Daniel will be delighted to hear that you mentioned them in your review – I will make sure you to tell them that their friendly customer service was noted.

It sounds like you really enjoyed snorkeling along our beachfront. Did you and the family have the chance to check out Stingray City? It is incredible how timid these creatures are! Being able to stand in the Sand Bar while stingrays of all sizes surround you is really an experience that shouldn’t be missed. We really recommend this excursion to our guests and they often come back to tell us that it was the highlight of their trip.

You may be interested to hear that we will be undergoing phase two of our renovations in September, which will affect our communal areas including the lobby, restaurants and fitness centre. The upgrades are going to be spectacular and we hope to have the opportunity to show them off to you during your next trip to Cayman.

Thanks for choosing to stay with us and we hope to see you again very soon!

Reviewed 19 June 2014

This Marriott is supposed to be known for their customer service right? When customer service counted it was downright awful. I had brought a pair of unusual earrings on the trip that were not expensive in value but I had bought them at a boutique on a weekend trip so not replaceable. I wore them one night at dinner in Caymen and then remembered leaving them on the dresser. I couldn't find them midway through the trip and my boyfriend said I am sure they are in one of your bags. Once we packed up I realized they were absolutely not in the room and I was upset because I knew they had to be picked up by someone in the room. I went downstairs and explained the situation to the security manager. The security manager claimed he needed to help us look and even wanted to go through all of my packed bags. I refused because a) I just packed them b) I didn't think it was an appropriate procedure to have staff going through my bags. He then implied maybe I had misplaced them which made me angry because I knew for sure they were in the room. He said he would follow up after we left and of course I ended up having to follow up after the trip. I followed up with a different manager who after checking with cleaning staff said "No one had them". I informed him over email that I know someone had to have taken them. He stated to me in writing that he couldn't imagine his staff taking anything and that there must be another explanation. Honestly, I was floored that the management had such a poor response and had those earrings been worth a lot monetarily then I would have taken additional steps. I also noticed I am not the only one complaining of things missing from their room in the poor trip advisor reviews. As an attorney by trade it is very offensive to me for not one but two people in the hotel not only not take ownership of the situation but try to put it back on their guests. It will be awhile if ever I stay at another Marriott and I do plan on taking it up with Marriott rewards program because that should not be the attitude of a hotel especially one where we had spent an additional $600 and I had already told them the earrings were only $30 in value.

In addition to that I found alot of the staff pushing this Marriott nights or products. They always had someone in the lobby handing out flyers or pushing their dinner "special", this made it not seem like a 4 star hotel/resort. I would like to not feel like I am being sold something when I enter the lobby of my hotel.

Besides that our room was clean and a nice size. We ate at both restaurants and found the food to be good. It is expensive for what you get but that is true for all over the island. It is too bad about the issue with my earrings because before that i would have given the hotel a solid 3 to 4 stars. Unfortunately one wants to believe their belongings would be safe where they are staying and this is the first time something this has happened to me. But I know I would never stay anywhere again that treated me as this Marriott did when I reported something stolen.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear mproctor78, thank you for providing feedback on your recent stay with us. I am deeply sorry to hear that you were disappointed in the way the situation with your lost earrings was handled.

I know all to well how it feels to lose a sentimental item (regardless of the price) when on vacation. As well as being disheartening, it is a true inconvenience – for this I extend my most sincere apologies. At Marriott, we have extensive and mandatory internal procedures to follow when a situation such as this arises. In any instance in which concrete evidence of wrongdoing by any of our staff materialises, rest assured we always take the appropriate measures.

I have spoken to the relevant team members in Housekeeping, Quality and Loss & Prevention to ensure that we have pursued all the available avenues to find your earrings (including checking the electronic records of every individual who accessed your room during your stay). Unfortunately, I very much regret that we were unable to locate them.

I welcome you to contact me personally to discuss this in more detail. You can email me on ingrid.chaves@marriott.com or call me on (345) 949-0088.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Seven Mile Beach
Caribbean Club
Caribbean Club
#1 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mi...
#5 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
Wyndham Reef Resort
Wyndham Reef Resort
#2 of 2 in East End

Been to Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort? Share your experiences!