“absolutely excellent vacation”

Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 25 June 2014

This was our second vacation in Grand Cayman, and both times we stayed at the Marriott. This time we enjoyed it better than the first. We would definitely recommend this hotel to our friends. Everyone working there were so very nice,friendly, and helpful. Our favorites were , Carlos, Mark, Nelson, Nicol,Michael, and Natalie , with Carlos being our favorite. The front desk workers were always so friendly. The breakfast buffet was so very good. Overall, this hotel is excellent. We can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Our ocean front room was super, with the beautiful sunset every day
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GrandCaseForney
Marriott_GrandCayman, Manager at Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Dear GrandCaseForney, thanks for providing feedback on your recent stay with us. We are so delighted that you had an excellent vacation! I will make sure to tell Carlos, Mark, Nelson, Nichol, Michael and Natalie that you mentioned them individually in your review – they will be thrilled to hear that you remembered them and their friendly customer service.

Did you have the chance to check out our new fresh juice bar in our lobby during your stay? There are so many unhealthy and processed breakfast options out there that we wanted to be different and provide our guests with nourishing and wholesome food in the morning. We hope that you were able to sample some of our exciting juice flavours and combinations - it is such a great way to kick start your day!

Thanks for recommending us and we look forward to welcoming you back on your third vacation to our beautiful island!

Reviewed 24 June 2014

I just arrived home Monday from a 5 night 6 day vacation to Grand Cayman Island. We decided to venture to this Island to celebrate my Mother and Sister's Birthdays. I chose to stay at the Marriott and am very pleased that I did.
While planning my trip, I relied very heavily on the reviews provided by other travelors. I am excited to share some of my opinions and experiences in hopes that it will help you make your decision of where to stay an easier one. When I began my search, I came across the 3 most well known hotels. The Marriott, The Westin and the Ritz. I had to be particular since I was traveling with my mom who is a bit on the "high maintenance side" , but at the same time, I wanted to be conscious of money since I was warned that the island is very expensive. And trust me it is!!! one U.S dollar is only worth $0.80. So when you see $20.00 CI (Cayman Dollars)it is really going to cost you $24.00. (U.S.) Most of the prices on the island are in Cayman dollars. With that in mind, I wanted to try to figure out if paying the extra to stay in the Westin or the Ritz was really worth it.
I'm so happy to say that in my opinion, it really wasn't. The Marriott is very nice both inside and out and most importantly, it is in the best location in comparison with the other hotels. The rooms have been renovated and mine was beautiful and very clean. I was on the 3rd floor facing the courtyard. Please don't be deterred when given a courtyard room. the area is beautiful. The premises is decorated very nicely and there is a pond that runs through it with cute little turtles in it. There's really no need to pay extra for an ocean view room. The pool in this hotel is small and does tend to get crowded but since I'm more of a beach person, it didn't affect me in the least. For those that are interested, there is also a hot tub. The beach front is narrow but I always found a place to sit with an umbrella. There are floats in the ocean that are available free of charge if you want to bask in the sun and stay cool. I loved it!. Also, happy hour is from 5 to 7 and they offer 4 drinks from the menu at a discounted price. Unfortunately, Pina colada's are not included but the Mango Daquiri and the Pink Lemonade were pretty good. The other nice thing about the beach area is that there weren't a lot of guests from other hotels since the Comfort Suites is the only hotel to the left of the Marriott and to the right is nothing but condos etc. I walked from the Marriott to both the Westin and the Ritz and checked both of them out. They do have nicer pools and the beach front is bigger but neither trumph the Marriott for the extra money that they would charge. I honestly didn't notice anything spectacular and they were a bit more crowed since they are located next to each other.
I mentioned location before and I've also mentioned how expensive the island is. Right across the street from the Marriott you have Pizza Hut,Cimboco's restaurant, Coconut Joe's, Craft, Quiznos, a bakery and Frozen yogurt. This is so convenient since you can get a great breakfast, lunch or dinner at a fraction of what it would cost you in the hotels. I loved Coconut Joe's!! Breakfast is great and drink specials in the evening 2 for the price of 1. A Pina Colada in the hotel will run you about $16.00 Coconut Joe's is lively and a fun place to visit.(Thanks to the 4 young men who taught me a lot about Grand Cayman. True Class acts!). Also, there is a supermarket called Kirks and is within walking distance. It took me about 15 to 20 minutes to walk. Or you can take a bus (Bus 1 or 2) will take you there for $2.50. Cheaper than the $10 to $11 that a cab will charge. You can buy some snacks etc and store them in the refrigerator that is provided by the Marriott. Also worth mentioning are the complimentary bikes provided which are super comfortable and offer an easy fun way to explore the area. Camana Bay is another fun area to visit. It is about a 10 minute walk from the Marriott. There you will find more restaurants/Bars, a movie theatre, and stores. I was told this was bulit within the last 10 yrs. I enjoyed this area very much and loved that it was within walking distance. The nice thing about this island is that it truly is very safe. I also visited George Town. It was ok in my opinion. It's where all of the cruise ships dock and so if you've ever visited an island and been where the ships dock you know what merchandise you can expect to purchase. There are some higher end stores but I personally didn't feel like shopping in stores that I could visit back at home. For example, Pandora and Swarovski.
As for the gym, it is small but has weights, treadmills, ellyptical machines and bicycles. They provide televisions for you as well as complimentary head phones in case you forgot yours. Also, there was always fresh cold water and apples available for after your workout. I visited around 7 am and found that by 8:30, it was already getting busy.
I hope that you find this review helpful. I realize it is lengthy but I wanted to provide as much info as possible. For what I paid for this vacation and to stay at the Marriott, It was well worth it. I got to use the extra money that it would have cost me to stay at the Westin or the Ritz on other things. You will be happy as well!! There are sooo many things to do on this island (Sting Ray City, Turtle Farm, Swimming with the Dolphins, horseback riding on the beach and the list goes on. I hope you enjoy your vacation as much as we did!

Room Tip: Stayed in Room facing Courtyard and it was Great!!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
18  Thank Michele B
Marriott_GrandCayman, Manager at Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Dear Michele B, thank you for taking the time to provide such a detailed review of your recent stay with us. We are absolutely delighted that you and your family had a wonderful experience with us! We really appreciate your glowing comments about our ideal location, beautiful and clean rooms and nicely decorated premises.

I live in Cayman and I absolutely love it here. I agree with your sentiments about our beautiful island – besides being extremely safe and family-oriented, it has a plethora of great restaurants and fantastic shopping. I am also glad to hear that you were able to take advantage of our free bike rentals; they are definitely a fun way to explore the island!

You mentioned you dined at Coconut Joe’s and Cimboco’s amongst others, which are great places for breakfast but did you have the opportunity to check out Solana on our beach? The restaurant offers a number of delicious breakfast options including “all you can eat” almond pancakes, Caribbean-inspired eggs benedict and our signature lobster omelet. Plus nothing compares to our view of the sparkling turquoise blue ocean while you drink your morning coffee!

Thank you so much for choosing us as your Beach House in Cayman and we are thrilled that your family enjoyed their birthday celebrations with us! We hope to welcome you all back again very soon.

Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

Had an amazing time for my honeymoon there! Everyone at the hotel was very kind and went above and beyond to make our stay perfect (especially an employee by the name if Alex). It was a great time and we definitely recommend! Solana was a great restaurant for sunset dinner and beach was great with the reef so close with all the fish!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kser15

Dear Kser15, thanks for leaving feedback on your recent vacation. We are so glad that you had an amazing honeymoon with us! We really appreciate your kind words about our kind staff – I will make sure to tell Alex that you mentioned him in your review, he will be thrilled!

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your dining experience at Solana – I think it is such a great restaurant in a beautiful setting and our guests are always commenting on how delicious our food is there. As you probably noticed, we host a variety of Specialty Nights at our resort’s restaurants. One of my favourites is the Unlimited Lobster evening at Solana on Wednesdays. From the Lobster Thermidor to Lobster Mac and Cheese, there is a huge variety to choose from and they are always made fresh to order. I hope you had the chance to check it out!

We are so delighted that you had a great time. We appreciate you recommending us and we hope to welcome you back again very soon!

Reviewed 23 June 2014

It saddens me greatly to have to do this. I'm usually not one to leave bad reviews.
I usually never believe bad reviews, either, just mostly the good ones. But please read what I have to say, because, it can happen to you.
We came for our friends wedding and stayed from June 9, 2014-June 16, 2014. We had called about a month prior since we knew we would have to make very specific arrangements (i.e, we were traveling with our 16 month old son, thus, needed two separate rooms with a fridge, microwave, etc). We had specifically called ahead of time to ensure this. We were booked for a junior suite, which I thought would meet all our needs (it sounded perfect over the phone).
When we arrived, we found that our junior suite was really just one room without all the accommodations needed. We were, naturally, very frustrated, as we had just come off a 2.5 hour flight with a very fussy toddler. The Marriott had made an error-I was very specific about our needs, and they promised to accommodate us.
I spend forever at the front desk trying to get this mess straightened out. A man named Alex (who came off nice at the time) assisted me.
After speaking with his manager (which took an eternity), they agreed to upgrade my room to the presidential suite for $100/more per night. I immediately agreed. I signed the upsell agreement. I thought I was being charged 700-800 dollars more for this upgrade, as that is what I was verbally lead to believe. We preceded to stay in the presidential suite. A very nice, but slightly outdated room. Frankly, more than we needed(we just needed two separate rooms really, but the marriott could not provide this in any other way).
Hotel service was adequate, but came at a price not worth paying. We were provided a crib. Service in all restaurants was good. On Friday, Saturday night, the beach side of hotel was quite loud-not good for our baby. The spa was only ok-staff was nice, but my husband and I had two very mediocre deep tissue massages. We went to the Westin spa, and got far superior service. Also, a couple of times, things happened in our room. One such time, our bathtub clogged. They responded right away and sent someone to fix it. Another time, the door between the main room (where my baby was sleeping) and our bedroom got shut, and we had dead bolted the main door. Please be aware this can happen if you're in the presidential suite! We were in hysterics, however, they were able to open the door, and miraculously, my baby never woke up, though it was quite loud. Another time, we had found a cricket and a lizard and our room (which we took care of ourselves).
Customer service was adequate all these times, though I would dare to argue that for the price we paid, none of these things should've happened. I could just roll with it, because hey, that's life, if they didn't charge us far more than expected at the end.
I knew things were going to be pricey for the room we had and the restaurants we went to. However, I did not expect to be out of 3000! For that price, we could've easily stayed at the Westin, or Ritz Carlton-far superior hotels.
The reason I was out of 3000? Because the upsell fee they promised-only a 100 dollars more/night was actually of more like 436 dollars more/night! We could've gotten two separate deluxe rooms for less! I was lied to at the beginning of check in, outright by Alex at the front desk.
Our total price in the end-for one weeks stay-was 8500. 3000 more than expected. Marriott truly pulled the wool over our eyes. It is impossible to "'stick to your budget' at this hotel-what you expect to pay and what you actually pay will always be two different things since you are nickeled and dimed for everything. When I've contacted customer service over this issue, they were polite, but dismissive. They insisted since I 'signed the form' there was nothing they could do. However, I only signed the form after waiting for 1.5 hours out of desperation-as I had a fussy baby with me. Oh yeah, and what they verbally told me WAS QUITE DIFFERENT THAN WHAT WAS ACTUALLY ON THE UPSELL FORM!
Was I foolish? Most definitely. Should we have stayed somewhere cheaper in the first place? Yes. We had needs the hotel was not able to meet in any form. I should not have signed the agreement without looking carefully. However, we were truly desperate. We had just come off a flight with a difficult toddler and waited for a room for 1.5 hours. We just needed to get settled in. I feel the front desk took advantage.
I would not recommend staying at this hotel because of experience. Go to Westin and or ritz Carlton-they have better beaches, are more beautiful, and are more upfront about how expensive they really are. There is also a set of condos two or three doors down on seven mile Bach that are walking distance, I would recommend staying there. Members of the wedding party did and they saved a TON of money. This is especially a good options if you have kids and need more than one room. Marriott costs about the same as the other 'finer' hotels-they just hide that fact with millions of little 'hidden' charges-I.e, one dollar to make even local calls, etc etc.
I will not be staying there again. Neither should many of you. I tend not to believe the negative reviews, and only the positive. However, this can happen to you! At any rate, even if you go against my advice, NEVER sign anything without reading the fine print-they will use I that against you!
It is sad-what should've been an amazing trip is now an expensive burden we must live with. In fact, Marriott left such a bad taste in my mouth that I will never stay at another Marriott. Nor visit the Grand Cayman again.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
10  Thank Uma P

Dear Uma P, thank you for providing a review. We appreciate all feedback that will help us improve our services and enhance the experiences of our future guests.

The Front Desk team and I have spoken at length about what happened in your case and we all extend our most sincere apologies in the miscommunication regarding your room. We do our best to accommodate all our guests' requests but there are times when this is just not possible. For this I am very sorry. We also truly regret the frustration and inconvenience caused by the misinterpretation of what was outlined in the upsell form.

The satisfaction of our guests is our top priority so I am deeply sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your recent stay with us.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Just returned Sunday night from a wonderful stay at the Grand Cayman Marriott! From the moment you walk through the door everyone is very friendly and gracious. Check in was a breeze thanks to Alex and Sonia. Loved the complimentary punch and rum cake.

The ocean front rooms have a fabulous view of Seven Mile Beach! Nothing beats waking up to the sound of the waves and staring at the crystal clear turquoise waters! Our beautiful room was recently updated and very well done. Ana and Sandra kept it clean and tidy.

Solana was our favorite restaurant for onsite dining. All our meals were fantastic, from the almond pancakes and fresh melon juices at breakfast, to the mahi and tuna sandwiches at lunch, to Lobster night! Thank you to Wendy, Ana and Stephanie for your excellent service! We very much enjoyed sushi night at the lobby as well.

Although we didn't partake in the bonfire and s'mores, it was great watching other guests have a fun time. It was also great to see that there were many activities for kids.

The beach is excellent and you don't have to venture far for a quick snorkel. We saw all sorts of reef fish just a few feet in from the shore. If you're lucky you might get to see the beautiful spotted eagle ray that seems to frequent the area.

We especially want to thank Ingrid and Pamela for making this such a wonderful vacation! Can't wait to return and see the renovated public spaces.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TravelGypsy2010

Dear TravelGypsy2010, thanks for sharing feedback on your recent experience with us. We are delighted that you had a wonderful beach vacation! I will make sure to pass on your compliments to Alex, Sonia, Ana, Sandra, Wendy, Ana, Stephanie and Pamela. They will all be thrilled that you mentioned them by name in your review.

It sounds like you were able to enjoy a variety of delicious cuisines that our restaurants have to offer. And isn’t our Sushi Night great? I think we have one best sushi chefs on the island! Earlier this year, he went on an exploratory trip to California to discover the best ways of preparing sushi. The concepts that he has brought back with him are nothing short of the best and you can really tell when you sample his delicious dishes.

As you mentioned, we will be renovating our public spaces in September, which will change the look and feel of our lobby, restaurants and fitness center. The updates are going to be spectacular and we can’t wait to show them off to you during your next trip to our beautiful island. And watch this space for details on our new menu options, there are going to be a lot of exciting changes to our restaurants over the next six months!

Thanks for choosing us as your Beach House in Cayman and we look forward to welcoming you back again very soon!

Reviewed 22 June 2014

The Marriott Resort was all we could ask for. Everyone was so helpful and pleasant. Nelson, at the front door, was a great representation of the positive attitude exhibited by all. The internet pictures don't do justice to the beauty if the hotel Nd surroundings. We will definitely book another trip.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Abercrombieaber
Marriott_GrandCayman, Manager at Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Dear Abercrombieaber, thanks so much for sharing comments on your recent stay with us. We are thrilled that your first trip to the Cayman Islands was fabulous! We really appreciate your kind feedback about our helpful and pleasant staff. I will make sure to tell Nelson what you said about him – he will be delighted to hear that he made such a positive impression on your vacation.

At our resort, we do our best to provide our guests with the ultimate beach house experience by creating a fun and relaxed atmosphere where friends and family can spend quality time together. Did you have the chance to experience our bonfire nights during your stay? We like to hand out ingredients to all our guests so that they can make S’mores – it is one of my favourite activities as it evokes the happy nostalgia of summertime!

Thank you for choosing us as your Beach House in Cayman and we look forward to welcoming you back for your second visit very soon.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

We just returned from a six day trip to the Marriott Grand Cayman Beach Resort. The location is outstanding with fantastic dining options across the street (more on that later). The staff was incredibly friendly and the hotel was very clean. Many of the reviews shared a lot of activities for families and all of them are true. This hotel had an event every night for families-from movie night to Smore's as well as many activities at the pool. The beach assistant's walked around each afternoon offering popsicles and even cotton candy one day. I would highly recommend the Marriott for families. However, I would not recommend it if you are looking for a romantic getaway. The beach is very narrow and despite the fact that we arrived in the off season, kids were everywhere as beach chairs were literally on top of one another. Also, there is a smoking section on the beach however guests smoked no matter where they sat. It was frustrating to stake out our seats early in the morning and get settled in only to have someone nearby smoking. The pool area was nice but small. For a resort, I thought it would be much bigger and I swore it had two pools including a swim up bar. It does not. You never have to leave the hotel all week as there are different themed nights for dining options in the hotel. There is also a dive center right on site to book excursions albeit they are quite expensive and many other options are available on the island with free pick up for guests at the hotel.

There is no concierge lounge and as Gold members we are usually provided with a free breakfast at the hotel when no concierge lounge is on site however, that is not the case at this Marriott. I exchanged emails with the hotel prior to arrival and they made it very clear that breakfast was not included. When we checked in we were provided with a free breakfast for 2 the first day which was nice. Regularly it is 22 CI per person. Directly across the street is an outside eatery called Coconut Joes. They have a great breakfast ranging from 7-11 CI and also have reasonable lunch options too. The fish tacos are fantastic. Also, across the street is Craft F&B. The beer options are the best on the island and the food is outstanding. We ate at Craft 4 times during our visit. Again, the prices are much more reasonable than the hotel. One night we went to Decker's for their Lobster night. It was 49 CI per person versus 75 CI at the Marriott.

The concierge was unable to make reservations for the two excursions we chose...a snorkel trip to Starfish Reef, Stingray City, and two other reefs with Tours Cayman as well as a horse swim with Pampered Ponies because the hotel does not have an agreement with those groups. The snorkel trip with Tours Cayman was 30 CI per person with a 5% discount if you pay cash. The snorkel trip with the watersport center located at the hotel is 80 CI. We were picked up at our hotel by both Tours Cayman and Pampered Ponies. The bar prices at the hotel were costly but that was to be expected. Most of the frozen drinks were 12 CI and beer around 6.50-7 CI per can. It can be quite costly.

Overall, a nice hotel with very friendly staff. However, if you are looking for a romantic getaway, this may not be the place for you.

Room Tip: Room 413 faced the courtyard and was quite pleasant.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank SAB B

Dear SAB B, thanks for providing feedback on your recent vacation with us. We really appreciate your generous comments about our outstanding location, incredibly friendly staff and nice hotel.

We also appreciate your kind words about our resort being family friendly but are sorry to hear that that you felt that couples may not enjoy it as much. Did you have the chance to check out any of our Specialty Nights during your stay? One of my favorite evenings is Simply Fish at our beachside restaurant Solana on Sundays. Besides the fresh and tasty food, Solana offers such a romantic dining experience. What can beat the glow of candlelight and the gentle sound of the waves crashing in the background while enjoying a delicious meal with a loved one?

With regards to your comments on how expensive food is in Cayman, I live here so I understand. Unfortunately one of the few downsides of living in our beautiful island is the high cost of food overall due to the number of items that are imported from abroad. As much as we try to source locally grown food, there are many circumstances where this is not possible. For example, some vegetables and fruits cost 30% more in Cayman than in any state in the US because they are brought in from oversees.

I would like to thank you for choosing us as your Beach House in Cayman and we hope to welcome you back again very soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Seven Mile Beach
Caribbean Club
Caribbean Club
#1 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mi...
#5 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
Wyndham Reef Resort
Wyndham Reef Resort
#2 of 2 in East End

Been to Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort? Share your experiences!