“Excellent stay”

GreenLeadersGold level
Williamsburg, Kentucky
“Excellent stay”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We stayed here several years ago and loved this hotel. It was beach front, very peaceful and family oriented. Not overly crowded and a very nice and small clean facility for three people. It could not have been better. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a nice, clean, and affordable place to stay. Our room was not beachfront, and we were aware of this, but the view overlooked the courtyard and was still very beautiful.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Marriott_GrandCayman, Manager at Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear Jessica P, thanks for sharing feedback on your time with us. I am glad to hear that you had an excellent vacation! We appreciate your generous comments about our peaceful beachfront and family-oriented atmosphere.

Did you and your friends have the chance to check out Sol Bar during your stay? Many guests have commented on how much they enjoy our creative cocktails and conch fritters - it is one of our signature dishes! Sol Bar is a great place to hang out and unwind with friends. It has such a chilled ambience and what can beat the gorgeous view of the turquoise blue ocean right there?

You may be interested to hear that will be undergoing an extensive renovation in September, which will affect all our communal areas including our lobby, restaurants and fitness center. We hope that you visit us again soon so we can show off all the fabulous enhancements to our resort!

Thank you for recommending us and we hope to welcome you back again very soon.

Ingrid Chaves, Director of Rooms Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,549)
  • Polish first
La Canada Flintridge, California
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Overall the Marriott Grand Cayman is a very good place to stay for its reasonable price and location on SMB, especially for family with kids.

I have done my research and read many reviews on TA and elsewhere before choosing the Marriott over the Westin for our stay from 6/8-6/13. Since it is not in the same category as the Ritz-Carlton, I do not think that it is fair to compare it to the Ritz-Carlton. I would have splurged to stay at the Ritz, but chose the Marriott instead because I like to just walk down from my room to the beach and not having to walk a long way across a bridge to get to the beach as I read that you'd have to do that at the Ritz. Another plus that put me over the Westin and the Ritz is the fact that the Marriott has an artificial reef steaming with sea life right in front of your door step. All you have to do is just walk downstairs from my ocean front view room. School of fish would swim up as you sit on the sand where the super clean and crystal clear turquoise water meet your feet. Yes, it is an artificial reef but it is so awesome that you don't have to go anywhere and there are all kinds of fish, Blue Tang, Blue Angel Fish, Queen Angel Fish, huge Parrot Fish, Cow Fish, etc. and even the Yellow Spotted Stingray. We find that the best time to see a lot of these creatures are in the mid to late afternoon. School of little silvery fish, Blue Tang, etc. would swamp around us. And best of all, I like the feeling of the reef's and trampoline's use being exclusive to Marriott's guests even though the beach is a public place and anyone can snorkel there.

We were blessed with beautiful weather (I only rained that one morning when we arrived on Sunday and I thought, oh dowdy even though I had prepared that it's going to rain because it's the rainy season) and calm ocean sea so even my two children (8 and 6) could just snorkel by themselves while my husband and I were sunning from our lounge chairs or on those rafts/trampolines strategically placed in the water.

Now, the disadvantages of the Marriott. 1) The lobby is small and I felt claustrophobic (I hope that the upcoming renovation will make it look better and more open and nothing to rave about. 2) The courtyard is very small with a tiny turtle pond due to the small ground size of the resort in general. While it is nicely landscaped, I didn't feel like lounging there because it does not give me the open airy-esh kind of feeling. 3) The beach is also small with stack of chairs side by side each other, which I can understand that during peak time like Spring Break, the hotel would want to maximize the space, but during non-peak time, they should store away some lounge chairs. If there're not enough chairs, it can easily be brought out as requested like in the case of the umbrellas as during our stay, we're always able to find lounge chairs and did not have sit next to someone nor did we have to arise by 6:00 a.m. to claim a chair. In my opinion, this would make the beach look less cluttered and stacked. 4) The restroom by the beach does badly need an upgrade. 5) As for the room itself, it was adequate for our needs. I do not find that the room nor the bathroom luxurious in anyway. The toiletries should have included additional cotton balls and Qtips and slippers would be nice and typically expected of a resort that labels itself luxury, though I appreciated the fact that Thann soap, lotion, shampoo and conditioner were being replenished generously. 6) The pool is very small and the only time that I lounged there was during movie night, although my husband and children used it thoroughly. 7) Special events seems to occur at this venue regularly. During our stay, we witnessed two weddings, an Indian and a beach wedding where the pool or certain area of the resort would be closed. While the Indian wedding was lovely, the music played during one afternoon in the courtyard was way too loud.

As for service, I find that it is outstanding. Everyone from the doorman to the service maids to the waiters and waitresses were very friendly and helpful. It makes us feel very welcoming and wanting to stay there. Our room was always done every day by the time we came back. Some time I had to quickly run upstairs to get something and the room was already serviced by 11:30 a.m. Our children thoroughly enjoyed the fun daily kids activities like painting beach ball, finding treasures, movie night with popcorn, s'mores night, etc. run by Ms. Kathryn. While our children were happily building sand castles, snorkeling and playing on the beach, Ms. Kathryn would come and "haul" them in when she had the activitie ready and we happened to be around. As we always travel with our kids, it is very important that we find a place that is not kids adverse, super clean and safe.

As for food, since we had a car, we tend to venture out to eat more. The few times that we ate at the resort, it's good, not great, since we ordered mainly from Sol Bar for lunch. The one time we ordered room service for dinner, it was very good, however.

Now, that we've stayed at the Marriott and had a chance to roam around from West Bay to East End to Rum Point where we stayed during the last 4 days of our trip at a condo, I am very glad I made the right choice. The Marriott is centrally located, closed to Georgetown and Camana Bay and about 10 min from West End. After visiting by accident Tikki Beach, which is a nice beach but does not have very friendly service and packed with cruisers and beach hoppers, for lunch one day since the Heritage Kitchen kept eluding us, we came back to the Marriott and just docked there where we would have the best service, the familiarity and homey feel and the best and easiest snorkeling ever. As we had such a wonderful time in Grand Cayman, we would highly recommend the Marriott to our friends and family.

Room Tip: Ocean front view room on higher level.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank kiddofox
Dear kiddofox, thanks for taking the time to provide a review of our resort. We are delighted that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us! We appreciate your kind comments about our nice beachfront, outstanding customer service and great location.

I am so glad to hear that your kids enjoyed our Kids Club activities! Isn’t Kathryn fantastic? We wanted to offer our families something different rather than having a Kids Club where children just end up watching movies and playing on the PlayStation. I thought about all the activities that we used to enjoy from our childhood – so Kathryn and I chose activities that families could do together such as spending time around a bonfire and making S’mores, kite flying and building boats to race in the Turtle Lagoon. Our aim was to make it less about technology and more about re-connection. I am thrilled that you and your family had the chance to spend quality time together!

We want our resort to be a home away from home for our guests, with a warm, residential and cozy atmosphere so I am glad to hear that you got this impression during your stay with us. Thank you for choosing us as your Beach House in Cayman and we appreciate you highly recommending us to family and friends. We hope to welcome you back again very soon!

Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2014

The purpose of our trip was two fold, my husband arrived ahead of my son and I for business and then we joined him for spring half term.

Hotel met all our requirements.

The staff were all very friendly and helpful, especially the doormen who were, polite, fun and informative.

My son especially enjoyed the kids club activities which were run by the very enthusiastic and professional Kathyrn and warm and kind Rhona. The activities held his interest and were well balanced between fun games, treasure hunts and creative activities.

We all enjoyed the beach campfire night and the outdoor movie night, complete with fresh popcorn.

The beach is well looked after and again staff very obliging.

The only downside, which may have been due to the long length of stay my husband had at the hotel was that the housekeeping wasn't always carried out to a high enough standard. Beds were made and a very light clean, but bathroom products, and tea/coffee products not always replaced, and used wine glasses left on sideboard for a couple of days.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Helene P
Marriott_GrandCayman, Manager at Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Dear Helene P, thank you for sharing feedback on your recent experience at our resort. It sounds like you and your family had a fantastic time! We appreciate your generous comments about our friendly and obliging staff and well-maintained beach.

I am so glad that your son enjoyed his time with Kathryn and Rhona at our Kids’ Club! When my General Manager asked me to come up with a kids’ program I wanted to offer our families something different rather than having a Kids Club where children just end up watching movies and playing on the PlayStation. I thought about all the activities that we used to enjoy from our childhood – so Kathryn and I chose activities that families could do together such as spending time around a bonfire and making S’mores, kite flying and building boats to race in the Turtle Lagoon. Our aim was to make it less about technology and more about re-connecting with loved ones. It sounds like you and your family were able to do just that!

Thank you also for bringing to my attention the areas of your experience that you felt warranted improvement. I have shared your valuable feedback with the housekeeping team so that they can make the necessary adjustments to enhance their services.

We appreciate you and your husband choosing Marriott and we hope to welcome your family back again very soon.

Forney
Reviewed 25 June 2014

This was our second vacation in Grand Cayman, and both times we stayed at the Marriott. This time we enjoyed it better than the first. We would definitely recommend this hotel to our friends. Everyone working there were so very nice,friendly, and helpful. Our favorites were , Carlos, Mark, Nelson, Nicol,Michael, and Natalie , with Carlos being our favorite. The front desk workers were always so friendly. The breakfast buffet was so very good. Overall, this hotel is excellent. We can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Our ocean front room was super, with the beautiful sunset every day
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GrandCaseForney
Dear GrandCaseForney, thanks for providing feedback on your recent stay with us. We are so delighted that you had an excellent vacation! I will make sure to tell Carlos, Mark, Nelson, Nichol, Michael and Natalie that you mentioned them individually in your review – they will be thrilled to hear that you remembered them and their friendly customer service.

Did you have the chance to check out our new fresh juice bar in our lobby during your stay? There are so many unhealthy and processed breakfast options out there that we wanted to be different and provide our guests with nourishing and wholesome food in the morning. We hope that you were able to sample some of our exciting juice flavours and combinations - it is such a great way to kick start your day!

Thanks for recommending us and we look forward to welcoming you back on your third vacation to our beautiful island!

North Brunswick, New Jersey
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I just arrived home Monday from a 5 night 6 day vacation to Grand Cayman Island. We decided to venture to this Island to celebrate my Mother and Sister's Birthdays. I chose to stay at the Marriott and am very pleased that I did.
While planning my trip, I relied very heavily on the reviews provided by other travelors. I am excited to share some of my opinions and experiences in hopes that it will help you make your decision of where to stay an easier one. When I began my search, I came across the 3 most well known hotels. The Marriott, The Westin and the Ritz. I had to be particular since I was traveling with my mom who is a bit on the "high maintenance side" , but at the same time, I wanted to be conscious of money since I was warned that the island is very expensive. And trust me it is!!! one U.S dollar is only worth $0.80. So when you see $20.00 CI (Cayman Dollars)it is really going to cost you $24.00. (U.S.) Most of the prices on the island are in Cayman dollars. With that in mind, I wanted to try to figure out if paying the extra to stay in the Westin or the Ritz was really worth it.
I'm so happy to say that in my opinion, it really wasn't. The Marriott is very nice both inside and out and most importantly, it is in the best location in comparison with the other hotels. The rooms have been renovated and mine was beautiful and very clean. I was on the 3rd floor facing the courtyard. Please don't be deterred when given a courtyard room. the area is beautiful. The premises is decorated very nicely and there is a pond that runs through it with cute little turtles in it. There's really no need to pay extra for an ocean view room. The pool in this hotel is small and does tend to get crowded but since I'm more of a beach person, it didn't affect me in the least. For those that are interested, there is also a hot tub. The beach front is narrow but I always found a place to sit with an umbrella. There are floats in the ocean that are available free of charge if you want to bask in the sun and stay cool. I loved it!. Also, happy hour is from 5 to 7 and they offer 4 drinks from the menu at a discounted price. Unfortunately, Pina colada's are not included but the Mango Daquiri and the Pink Lemonade were pretty good. The other nice thing about the beach area is that there weren't a lot of guests from other hotels since the Comfort Suites is the only hotel to the left of the Marriott and to the right is nothing but condos etc. I walked from the Marriott to both the Westin and the Ritz and checked both of them out. They do have nicer pools and the beach front is bigger but neither trumph the Marriott for the extra money that they would charge. I honestly didn't notice anything spectacular and they were a bit more crowed since they are located next to each other.
I mentioned location before and I've also mentioned how expensive the island is. Right across the street from the Marriott you have Pizza Hut,Cimboco's restaurant, Coconut Joe's, Craft, Quiznos, a bakery and Frozen yogurt. This is so convenient since you can get a great breakfast, lunch or dinner at a fraction of what it would cost you in the hotels. I loved Coconut Joe's!! Breakfast is great and drink specials in the evening 2 for the price of 1. A Pina Colada in the hotel will run you about $16.00 Coconut Joe's is lively and a fun place to visit.(Thanks to the 4 young men who taught me a lot about Grand Cayman. True Class acts!). Also, there is a supermarket called Kirks and is within walking distance. It took me about 15 to 20 minutes to walk. Or you can take a bus (Bus 1 or 2) will take you there for $2.50. Cheaper than the $10 to $11 that a cab will charge. You can buy some snacks etc and store them in the refrigerator that is provided by the Marriott. Also worth mentioning are the complimentary bikes provided which are super comfortable and offer an easy fun way to explore the area. Camana Bay is another fun area to visit. It is about a 10 minute walk from the Marriott. There you will find more restaurants/Bars, a movie theatre, and stores. I was told this was bulit within the last 10 yrs. I enjoyed this area very much and loved that it was within walking distance. The nice thing about this island is that it truly is very safe. I also visited George Town. It was ok in my opinion. It's where all of the cruise ships dock and so if you've ever visited an island and been where the ships dock you know what merchandise you can expect to purchase. There are some higher end stores but I personally didn't feel like shopping in stores that I could visit back at home. For example, Pandora and Swarovski.
As for the gym, it is small but has weights, treadmills, ellyptical machines and bicycles. They provide televisions for you as well as complimentary head phones in case you forgot yours. Also, there was always fresh cold water and apples available for after your workout. I visited around 7 am and found that by 8:30, it was already getting busy.
I hope that you find this review helpful. I realize it is lengthy but I wanted to provide as much info as possible. For what I paid for this vacation and to stay at the Marriott, It was well worth it. I got to use the extra money that it would have cost me to stay at the Westin or the Ritz on other things. You will be happy as well!! There are sooo many things to do on this island (Sting Ray City, Turtle Farm, Swimming with the Dolphins, horseback riding on the beach and the list goes on. I hope you enjoy your vacation as much as we did!

Room Tip: Stayed in Room facing Courtyard and it was Great!!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
18 Thank Michele B
Marriott_GrandCayman, Manager at Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Michele B, thank you for taking the time to provide such a detailed review of your recent stay with us. We are absolutely delighted that you and your family had a wonderful experience with us! We really appreciate your glowing comments about our ideal location, beautiful and clean rooms and nicely decorated premises.

I live in Cayman and I absolutely love it here. I agree with your sentiments about our beautiful island – besides being extremely safe and family-oriented, it has a plethora of great restaurants and fantastic shopping. I am also glad to hear that you were able to take advantage of our free bike rentals; they are definitely a fun way to explore the island!

You mentioned you dined at Coconut Joe’s and Cimboco’s amongst others, which are great places for breakfast but did you have the opportunity to check out Solana on our beach? The restaurant offers a number of delicious breakfast options including “all you can eat” almond pancakes, Caribbean-inspired eggs benedict and our signature lobster omelet. Plus nothing compares to our view of the sparkling turquoise blue ocean while you drink your morning coffee!

Thank you so much for choosing us as your Beach House in Cayman and we are thrilled that your family enjoyed their birthday celebrations with us! We hope to welcome you all back again very soon.

Houston
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

Had an amazing time for my honeymoon there! Everyone at the hotel was very kind and went above and beyond to make our stay perfect (especially an employee by the name if Alex). It was a great time and we definitely recommend! Solana was a great restaurant for sunset dinner and beach was great with the reef so close with all the fish!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kser15
Dear Kser15, thanks for leaving feedback on your recent vacation. We are so glad that you had an amazing honeymoon with us! We really appreciate your kind words about our kind staff – I will make sure to tell Alex that you mentioned him in your review, he will be thrilled!

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your dining experience at Solana – I think it is such a great restaurant in a beautiful setting and our guests are always commenting on how delicious our food is there. As you probably noticed, we host a variety of Specialty Nights at our resort’s restaurants. One of my favourites is the Unlimited Lobster evening at Solana on Wednesdays. From the Lobster Thermidor to Lobster Mac and Cheese, there is a huge variety to choose from and they are always made fresh to order. I hope you had the chance to check it out!

We are so delighted that you had a great time. We appreciate you recommending us and we hope to welcome you back again very soon!

Davidson, North Carolina
Reviewed 23 June 2014

It saddens me greatly to have to do this. I'm usually not one to leave bad reviews.
I usually never believe bad reviews, either, just mostly the good ones. But please read what I have to say, because, it can happen to you.
We came for our friends wedding and stayed from June 9, 2014-June 16, 2014. We had called about a month prior since we knew we would have to make very specific arrangements (i.e, we were traveling with our 16 month old son, thus, needed two separate rooms with a fridge, microwave, etc). We had specifically called ahead of time to ensure this. We were booked for a junior suite, which I thought would meet all our needs (it sounded perfect over the phone).
When we arrived, we found that our junior suite was really just one room without all the accommodations needed. We were, naturally, very frustrated, as we had just come off a 2.5 hour flight with a very fussy toddler. The Marriott had made an error-I was very specific about our needs, and they promised to accommodate us.
I spend forever at the front desk trying to get this mess straightened out. A man named Alex (who came off nice at the time) assisted me.
After speaking with his manager (which took an eternity), they agreed to upgrade my room to the presidential suite for $100/more per night. I immediately agreed. I signed the upsell agreement. I thought I was being charged 700-800 dollars more for this upgrade, as that is what I was verbally lead to believe. We preceded to stay in the presidential suite. A very nice, but slightly outdated room. Frankly, more than we needed(we just needed two separate rooms really, but the marriott could not provide this in any other way).
Hotel service was adequate, but came at a price not worth paying. We were provided a crib. Service in all restaurants was good. On Friday, Saturday night, the beach side of hotel was quite loud-not good for our baby. The spa was only ok-staff was nice, but my husband and I had two very mediocre deep tissue massages. We went to the Westin spa, and got far superior service. Also, a couple of times, things happened in our room. One such time, our bathtub clogged. They responded right away and sent someone to fix it. Another time, the door between the main room (where my baby was sleeping) and our bedroom got shut, and we had dead bolted the main door. Please be aware this can happen if you're in the presidential suite! We were in hysterics, however, they were able to open the door, and miraculously, my baby never woke up, though it was quite loud. Another time, we had found a cricket and a lizard and our room (which we took care of ourselves).
Customer service was adequate all these times, though I would dare to argue that for the price we paid, none of these things should've happened. I could just roll with it, because hey, that's life, if they didn't charge us far more than expected at the end.
I knew things were going to be pricey for the room we had and the restaurants we went to. However, I did not expect to be out of 3000! For that price, we could've easily stayed at the Westin, or Ritz Carlton-far superior hotels.
The reason I was out of 3000? Because the upsell fee they promised-only a 100 dollars more/night was actually of more like 436 dollars more/night! We could've gotten two separate deluxe rooms for less! I was lied to at the beginning of check in, outright by Alex at the front desk.
Our total price in the end-for one weeks stay-was 8500. 3000 more than expected. Marriott truly pulled the wool over our eyes. It is impossible to "'stick to your budget' at this hotel-what you expect to pay and what you actually pay will always be two different things since you are nickeled and dimed for everything. When I've contacted customer service over this issue, they were polite, but dismissive. They insisted since I 'signed the form' there was nothing they could do. However, I only signed the form after waiting for 1.5 hours out of desperation-as I had a fussy baby with me. Oh yeah, and what they verbally told me WAS QUITE DIFFERENT THAN WHAT WAS ACTUALLY ON THE UPSELL FORM!
Was I foolish? Most definitely. Should we have stayed somewhere cheaper in the first place? Yes. We had needs the hotel was not able to meet in any form. I should not have signed the agreement without looking carefully. However, we were truly desperate. We had just come off a flight with a difficult toddler and waited for a room for 1.5 hours. We just needed to get settled in. I feel the front desk took advantage.
I would not recommend staying at this hotel because of experience. Go to Westin and or ritz Carlton-they have better beaches, are more beautiful, and are more upfront about how expensive they really are. There is also a set of condos two or three doors down on seven mile Bach that are walking distance, I would recommend staying there. Members of the wedding party did and they saved a TON of money. This is especially a good options if you have kids and need more than one room. Marriott costs about the same as the other 'finer' hotels-they just hide that fact with millions of little 'hidden' charges-I.e, one dollar to make even local calls, etc etc.
I will not be staying there again. Neither should many of you. I tend not to believe the negative reviews, and only the positive. However, this can happen to you! At any rate, even if you go against my advice, NEVER sign anything without reading the fine print-they will use I that against you!
It is sad-what should've been an amazing trip is now an expensive burden we must live with. In fact, Marriott left such a bad taste in my mouth that I will never stay at another Marriott. Nor visit the Grand Cayman again.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
10 Thank Uma P
Dear Uma P, thank you for providing a review. We appreciate all feedback that will help us improve our services and enhance the experiences of our future guests.

The Front Desk team and I have spoken at length about what happened in your case and we all extend our most sincere apologies in the miscommunication regarding your room. We do our best to accommodate all our guests' requests but there are times when this is just not possible. For this I am very sorry. We also truly regret the frustration and inconvenience caused by the misinterpretation of what was outlined in the upsell form.

The satisfaction of our guests is our top priority so I am deeply sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your recent stay with us.