“Awesome vacation”

GreenLeadersGold level
Groton, Massachusetts
“Awesome vacation”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

this hotel was by far the nicest I have ever stayed in. The hospitality, customer service, cleanliness and food were all outstanding. It made for the most memorable vacation we ever had. I was with 2 teenage boys and even they enjoyed it!!!!! Would recommend the Marriott again in a heart beat!!!!!!

Room Tip: room with ocean view (even if it is a little view) more pleasurable.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank christine h
Marriott_GrandCayman, Manager at Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear christine h, thanks so much for leaving a review of our resort. We are happy to hear that you had an awesome vacation! It is music to our ears to hear that our hotel is by far the nicest that you have ever stayed in. We also appreciate all your kind comments about our hospitality, customer service, cleanliness and outstanding food.

Did you and the family have the opportunity to enjoy all the fun activities that the hotel offers such as our free bike rentals? One of the most enjoyable ways you can spend a beautiful breezy morning in Cayman is by discovering the island by bicycle. We were inspired by memories of riding along through the picturesque countryside with loved ones during our own vacation experiences and wanted to re-create these special moments for our guests. We hope you had the chance to reconnect with your teenage boys in this way!

We are delighted that we could play a part in making your vacation so memorable and thank you for recommending us!

Ingrid Chaves, Director of Rooms Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,549)
  • Polish first
westchester NY
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

This was our 3rd trip to this hotel and each time it has gotten better and better. From upgraded rooms, water rings on the beach, ice pops and ice cream given out on the beach, aloe after long day in the sun, special events every night and many other little things that you don't expect, to the wonderful friendly staff. Not to mention the perfect beach. It all makes for a great vacation.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank VinnyG1031
Dear VinnyG1031, we really appreciate you sharing feedback on your recent vacation. We are glad that you enjoyed your third stay with us!

Thank you for noticing the small details in our offering. As you mentioned with the aloe after a long day at the beach, we will soon be offering a Sun Burn Relief Station, which will be located near the entrance to the pool and beach. We know that most of our guests like to spend their holiday basking in the beautiful sunshine on our beach so we thought this would be a brilliant idea! We will be offering natural remedies such as cold towels, freshly cut cucumber and aloe vera leaves to help relieve sunburns as well as local, organic and paraben-free skincare products to help soothe and moisturise sore skin. You should check it out the next time you visit us!

We also appreciate you acknowledging our newly refurbished rooms. You may be interested to hear that in September we will be entering phase two of our renovations, which will change the look and feel of all our communal spaces including our lobby, restaurants and fitness center. The enhancements are going to be fabulous and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you and your family back soon to experience all the wonderful upgrades!

Thank you for choosing us as your Beach House in Cayman and we look forward to seeing you on your fourth trip to our beautiful island in the near future!

Wantagh, New York
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Stayed with my four children and my daughter's two best friends to celebrate her Sweet 16 June 30, 2014-July 4th, 2014. We had an amazing stay. The entire staff-especially Caleb, Nico and Mellanie made us feel so special. Mellanie had my daughter's room decorated with balloons, sweet 16 banners and sent her and her girlfriends a pizza pie, sodas and nachos to celebrate because it was a special occasion. Clean, friendly, atmosphere. We only ate at the resort and each venue was so accommodating. We highly recommend!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank patricia B
Dear patricia B, thank you so much for taking the time to provide a review of your recent stay with us. We are absolutely delighted that you, your family and your daughter’s two best friends had a great time celebrating her Sweet 16!

At our resort, the team approaches their jobs differently than other hotels. We go into work each day thinking from a guest’s perspective and we base our decisions on what we think will make their vacation experience with us unique and memorable. We always encourage our guests to assist us in defining a successful vacation — whether that be informing us of a special occasion being celebrated or telling us that their aim is to reconnect with their family. I am so glad to hear that our staff helped make your daughter’s special birthday an unforgettable one! I will make sure to pass on your compliments to Caleb, Nico and Mellanie – they will be thrilled to learn that their outstanding service made such a positive impression on your time with us.

Thanks for recommending us and we hope to welcome you back again very soon!

Virginia
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We just got back from staying at the Marriott in the Grand Cayman's and I must say I am glad to be home. This hotel is rated at category 8 and I think it should be changed to a 4 or 5. We was so disappointed with the bedding on the beds and their food service was terrible. They had down comforter under the sheets and was so tired of two weeks of being stabbed in my body my feather ends. The down comforter kept coming off the bed every night. Every time we ordered room service our order was wrong or not delivered to us. After speaking to the supervisor of the food service we finally got a decent meal on the night before we left and breakfast the morning of our departure. We have stayed there before but was never so shocked at paying over $6,000. for 2 weeks and not being happy there. Something needs to change at this Beach Resort before I would ever think of staying there again. I must say the cleaning staff was the best part of the trip. Meeting these wonderful women Paula, Sandria and Daisy. Also two bellmen Omar and Howard are wonderful too and they did try to help make our trip better.

Room Tip: If you decide to go to the Marriott the only thing I can suggest good on the rooms is get an oceanfr...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jak1978
Marriott_GrandCayman, Manager at Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear jak1978, thank you for providing feedback on your recent stay with us. We appreciate your kind comments about our housekeeping staff and doormen. I will make sure to share your generous feedback with Paula, Sandria, Daisy, Omar and Howard – they will all be glad to hear that they made a positive impact on your stay with us.

The satisfaction of our guests is our top priority so we deeply regret that you were disappointed with some aspects of your stay. I really appreciate you bringing to my attention the areas of your vacation experience that you feel warrants improvement. I have shared your comments with the relevant departments and we are evaluating what we can do to enhance the experiences of our future guests.

You may be interested to hear that we will be undergoing a major renovation in September, which will change the look and feel of all our communal areas, including our lobby, restaurants and fitness center. The changes are going to be impressive and we hope to welcome you back soon so you can see all the new and wonderful upgrades to our resort.

I welcome you to contact me if you would like to discuss this further. Please feel free to email me on ingrid.chaves@marriott.com or call me on (345) 949-0088. Again we extend our most sincere apologies and hope you will consider visiting us again in the future.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We stayed at the resort between Christmas and New Year's. The rooms were nice but the service was exceptional. We had a few issues but the management team addressed them and completely satisfied us! We loved that we were in walking distance of many restaurants for dinner. It was also extremely easy to visit attractions via the local bus service which picked us up and dropped us off right in front of the hotel. It was also great that we were able to book a jetski/snorkel experience right at the hotel through Red Sail Sprots. The were also very accomodating in rescheduling our time as we experienced rain on our first attempt. Overall the hotel is very nice the only downside is the small pool and small beach. The lounge chairs are jam packed together and it can be difficult to find a chair if you are not out there by 7am. A nice place to stay if you don't mind the pool and beach issue.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Marriott_GrandCayman, Manager at Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear travelisgreat2, thanks for sharing comments on your time with us during the Christmas season last year. We are delighted that you and your family enjoyed your vacation! We really appreciate your kind words about our nice rooms, exceptional customer service and convenient location.

Did you and the family have the chance to dine with us at the hotel during your visit? We are proud of our various theme nights, which give us the opportunity to really showcase a diverse range of cuisines. One of my favorites is Sushi Night at Balboa’s Lounge. I think we have one of the best sushi chefs on the island! Earlier this year, he went on an exploratory trip to California to discover the best ways of preparing sushi. The concepts that he has brought back with him are nothing short of the best and you can really tell when you sample his delicious dishes.

In relation to your comment about our small beach, unfortunately all the properties along Seven Mile Beach are affected by weather systems that pass through during certain times of the year and as a result, we sometimes lose parts of the beach. These are natural seasonal occurrences and the beach does go back to normal after a certain period of time. I truly regret that you were with us during one of these occasions but are glad to hear that you still had a great time at our resort.

Thank you for choosing us as your Beach House in Cayman and we hope to welcome you back again very soon.

Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We stayed here for a week in September and had a really great time. The hotel is about a 5-10 min cab ride ($18US) from the airport and we were warmly greeted with a welcome drink while we were waiting to check into the hotel. Our room was on the 4th floor overlooking the turtle courtyard. It was a very nice room with a huge bathroom and king sized bed. The staff were all very friendly and went out of their way to say hello and ask if we needed anything.

We had breakfast one day in the hotel and it was very very good. Great made to order omelets, all kinds of breads/pastries, cereals, fruit, etc. We did not eat in the restaurant or partake in any of the theme nights but it looked like everyone who did enjoyed them. Food and drink here is on the pricey side but as everyone is quick to point out, food is expensive all over the island. There are lots of great places to eat within walking distance of the hotel and we especially liked Coconut Joes across the street to the right of the hotel as they had a full breakfast for $8 a person. An amazing gastro pub called Craft is across the street and to the left of the hotel.

This hotel really caters to families so there were quite a few kids while we were there. Factor that in if you are looking for a more intimate and quiet resort. The hotel really seemed to go out of their way to come up with activities to keep the kids busy with movie nights, trivia, pirate treasure hunts, etc. I did like how the beach staff would come around and pass out ice cream or cotton candy to everyone for an afternoon treat.

One thing to note is that the beach is very narrow at the Marriott so when the hotel is full it can feel a bit crowded. That said there is great snorkeling 20 feet off of the beach in front of the hotel and the water was crystal clear. I rented a mask and fins ($15 per day) right at the beach so it was very convenient. The guys helping with the umbrellas were great and the waitstaff serving food and drinks were fantastic.

Really enjoyed our time here and the location was fantastic.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear bman6262, thanks for reviewing our hotel. We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your vacation with us last September! We really appreciate your kind comments about our friendly staff, nice rooms and fantastic location.

It sounds like you were able to spend a lot of your time in the sand and sea! At our resort, we know that finding the idyllic spot to relax and reconnect is a major part of the ultimate beach house experience. Therefore, our beach and pool ambassadors are at the ready to assist you. Once you are situated, they provide you with freshly pressed towels and help you set up your sun lounger and umbrella. They will even go out of their way to re-position your umbrella so that you always have shade. Plus if you decide you want a bite to eat or drink, they will offer snacks and cocktails that you can savor from your beach chair. I am glad that you felt pampered by our beach staff!

You may be interested to hear that we will be undergoing a massive renovation in September, which will affect our communal areas such as our lobby, restaurants and fitness center. We hope to welcome you back again very soon so we can show off all the fabulous enhancements to the hotel!

Thank you for choosing Marriott and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 30 June 2014

The first room smelled like raw sewage and when I look off of the balcony, I could see it coming up out of the ground and the smelled lingered in the room. When I asked for a room change, I was told that typically does not happen on that side of the hotel, which means that it is probably an ongoing issue and yet they continue to put guests in these rooms without correcting the problem. I was traveling on business and I was having a normal business conversation late at night and did not even have the TV on. I received a call from the front desk of a noise complaint. The walls in the hotel must be paper thin if other guests can hear my conversation. I spoke to a manager about this who basically disregarding everything that I had to say but he did promise to follow up. I never heard from him for the rest of the trip. I did receive a general call from another manager (Pamela) about my stay and I informed her of my experience. She was very polite and considerate and attempted to make up for the disaster of an experience at the Marriott. While Pamela handled the situation the way a manager should, I still would not recommend staying at the Marriott. When traveling I usually stay at the Westin and I wanted to change it up and it was a huge mistake. If you want nice accommodations and great service from all levels of staff, I recommend staying at the Westin which is right down the street. It's sad that the Marriott has a few individuals that go above and beyond to make the stay amazing while others genuinely do not care. I think they need to remember that they are in the service industry and I'm glad there are other options where I can spend my money.

Room Tip: If you do decide to stay at the Marriott, stay on a higher floor or avoid the right side of the hote...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
7 Thank MattT1717
Marriott_GrandCayman, Manager at Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear MattT1717, thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent stay with us. We are deeply sorry to hear about the issues involving the rooms that you stayed in.

We are grateful for any feedback that will help us improve upon the experiences of our guests. I have shared your comments with the team so that we can assess what we could have done better to handle the situations you have mentioned. But again, I would like to extend my most sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused by the two rooms you stayed in.

I am so sorry that you were disappointed with your stay with us and I welcome you to contact me personally if you want to discuss this further by emailing me on pamela.leaplaza@marriott.com or calling me on (345) 949-0088.

Pamela Lea Plaza, At Your Service Supervisor