“Wonderful hotel”

Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Hotel very clean including guest rooms, staff very friendly and helpful, lovely decorating, beautiful beach and pool, and gardens beautiful.. Was a great place to relax and enjoy. Would recommend the hotel for any age, couples or families.

Room Tip: Not necessary to have ocean view.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Marriott_GrandCayman, Manager at Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear Karen S, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We really appreciate your generous comments about our wonderful hotel, clean rooms, friendly and helpful staff as well as our beautiful beach, pool and gardens.

We are really proud of our guest rooms, which were all renovated last year. We changed the décor and color palette in the rooms so that it evoked the feeling of being at our Beach House with cool and soothing tones that remind guests of the sea. We also added the most-up-to date gadgets like our new 40-inch Samsung TVs along with 30 HD channels so that guests could enjoy watching their favorite shows and movies in the comfort of their rooms.

We are also so excited about our upcoming renovations taking place in September, which will change the look and feel of all our communal areas, including our lobby, restaurants and fitness center. The upgrades will tie in nicely with the calming beach theme of our rooms. The resort is going to look even more spectacular and we hope to welcome you back very soon so we can show off all the stunning enhancements to our hotel.

Thank you recommending our resort and for choosing us as your Beach House in Cayman. We hope you visit us again very soon!

There are newer reviews for Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort

Reviewed 20 July 2014

my 4 th trip to this property over the years.I read all the reviews prior to my arrival ,I was expecting an improved property..? A major customer service initiative has taken place.From the moment of check in until ,my departure i felt a genuine sense of caring and concern about the quality and comfort of my stay..The room was fine, the bedding and pillows ,great .I left a gratuity each day for housekeeping{,on the bathroom counter}The housekeeping staff never assumed it was for them, and it remained on the sink. I had to literally hand it to the ladies. Their were many theme nights for dinner.Obviously a family orientated property with afternoon activities by the pool and a children's club.I saw many happy children engaged in the Marriotts programs.I was told the property will close for a month or two to re-engineer the dinningrooms, pool area.etc .It can only be a plus......I have no complaints about my stay,only that i didnot want to leave...Kudos to the staff your efforts were noticed and appreciated.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank fellacher

Dear fellacher, we appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel. We are delighted that you enjoyed your time with us! Thank you for your lovely comments about our caring customer service.

We know how much a hotel’s employees can really affect a guest’s vacation experience. These are the people who you see day in and day out during your holiday – they are almost like an extended family for that period of time! We know the comfort and familiarity that comes along with a friendly face remembering your name and asking you how your day went. That is why we make sure to choose people who are genuinely kind, friendly and professional. I think we have the best team in Cayman and I am so glad to hear that all their hard work is paying off.

Thank you for also noticing the fun family activities taking place by our pool and the Kids Club. We are really proud of our Kids Club programme and our Kids Club leader, Kathryn, is the best!

As you mentioned in your review, we will be renovating our public spaces, including our lobby, restaurants, meeting rooms and fitness center from August. The enhancements are going to be spectacular and we can’t wait to show off all the upgrades during your fifth trip to our resort.

Thank you for choosing Marriott and we hope to welcome you back again very soon!

Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

The place itself is nice (beds and rooms are comfortable), but there is a $35.00 per day resort fee that doesn't really include anything!! You have to pay to rent even non motorized water sports. Snorkeling equipment is $15.00 cayman dollars to rent a day. A bucket of beers from the beach was $37.00 US dollars for 5 beers! The beach is beautiful but they completely overcrowd the beach with TONS of lounge chairs so you are right next to everyone and it's almost impossible to get a chair up front by the ocean unless you get there at like 5 am so you end up being like 3 rows back without a nice view of the water. We couldn't believe how expensive everything was!!

Stayed: July 2014
4  Thank MsTravel101

Dear MsTravel101, thank you for taking the time to review our resort. We appreciate your comments about our nice hotel and beautiful beach. However, we deeply regret that you were disappointed by some aspects of your vacation experience.

I live in Cayman so I do sympathize with how expensive it can be here. Unfortunately one of the few downsides of living in our beautiful island is the high cost of food overall due to the number of items that are imported from abroad. With regards to your comments on our Resort Fee, it includes a number of popular amenities and activities that our guests enjoy such as wireless internet access across the resort, free bicycle rentals, unlimited local calls, the use of the floating trampolines and relaxation platforms at our beachfront and complimentary access to weekly beach bonfires (just to name a few). We feel that the value of all these services justify the cost of the Resort Fee.

In relation to your feedback about having to go to the beach early to reserve a sun lounger, I would like to reassure you that we do have a policy in place (which can be read on a placard located next to the Towel Hut) to deal with the situation. We want to make sure that guests are getting the most out of their beach house experience, so if our attendants notice that a sun lounger has been ‘reserved’ with a towel or personal effects, then he / she will remove the items after one hour if the lounger is not being used.

I appreciate you bringing to my attention the areas of your experience that you felt warranted improvement. I have shared your comments with the team and we are evaluating how we can better serve our customers. I welcome you to contact me if you would like to discuss this further. Please feel free to email me on ingrid.chaves@marriott.com or call me on (345) 949-0088.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

First I want to thank Howard, Nelson, Alex, Orville and the entire staff at Marriott Grand Cayman for a wonderful vacation and treating me and my family like their own and providing us with the one of the best experiences ever.

Our first choice was to stay at the Ritz Carlton, but since they did not have any available dates we went with the Marriott. They did not disappoint. The service at this Marriott was at the level of many Ritz Carlton I have stayed at...and honestly better than a few of them.

Stayed here for 6 days 5 nights from July 11 - 16. From check in to check out we were treated exceptionally well and always I mean always someone was there to provide us with what ever we needed. Howard who I now consider a friend rather than just a hotel employee is a true testimony to what a hotel employee should be. His friendliness, level of service and dedication should be an asset to any hotel brand, I hope Marriott see him and the rest of the employees at this hotel as n asset. Alex at the front desk was always a step ahead, he anticipated every one of our needs. A pleasure to chat with and always at the highest level of service to his guests.

About the Hotel: Hotel is located about a 15 minute ride from the airport. If you did not rent a car, it will require a Taxi ride. The cost from airport to hotel is about US $25 per family of 4. Once at the hotel you will find out quickly things are very expensive. A bottle of water is about CI $4.50, which is over $5 US (read my TIPS section to find out how to save money and get the most out of your stay from this beautifull resort) Getting around town from this hotel is very easy and can be very expensive if you do not know the tricks. Each time you call a taxi, you are spending money you do not have to. A taxi ride can cost more than $100 each time depending on how many guests. It cost me and my party over $200 US dollars for a ride from the hotel to a restaurant in West Bay. They charge per person...and if you have extra luggage they also charge for that. Here is what you can do.... if you are not traveling with young kids, use the hotel bikes.. they are free and very fun to ride around town. You save BIG on taxi. Other option is to take the bus from right in front of the hotel. $2 CI per person.. no matter how far you are going. Another tip, if you can find a taxi driver the first day work out a deal.. tell him you are there for this many days and you will call him for all your needs, they will give you a huge discount.. I worked out the same deal as the bus fare $2 per person where ever we went.

The Hotel ground is beautiful and if you are a family traveling with kids.. the fun is endless. This property is meant for kids, everything they do is done with kids and family in mind. The hotel ground has a flowing stream very well kept with turtles, kids will enjoy this endlessly. They provide free turtle food so kids can feed them. Soo many fun kids activity all day. Trust me, if you have kids, they will NEVER be bored here.

There are plenty of places to eat within walking distance. Leave the hotel and go to your left for the following places. They are ALL within 2 blocks.. 3 minutes walking time.. Wendy's, Pizza Hut, Cimboco, Burger Shack and a gas station. Cimboco was great for breakfast, Burger Shack reminds of Five Guys from the USA and was great for a late night bite.

If you walk to the right when you get out the hotel there is Coconut Joes, great cheap breakfast. For $6 US you get a full American breakfast.

Places you must try for food: Grand Old House, Blue Cilantro, Calypso Grill. Grand Old house is amazing. Great Caribbean setting and a menu to match. The service was outstanding and the food was even better. Blue Cilantro is within walking distance from the hotel. Make a left when you get out of the hotel and walk about 10 minutes. The food here is out of this world. I had the opportunity to meet the chef and have a conversation. His techniques and style of food is one of a kind. I am glad I had the opportunity to meet him. Calypso Grill is in West Bay and was worth the $200 taxi ride, but if you can get a deal with a driver, you can do it for around $4 per person.. or even less. The food here is out of this world. Made to order and did not disappoint.

Tips to save some money: Go to the gas station less than a block away to the left when you leave the hotel to get water and keep it in your room instead of buying it at the hotel. Here is another idea, use empty water bottles to fill up at the water fountains in the lobby. Also, in the morning they provide FREE water bottles up front for people who go jogging. You can also get free water bottles in the gym. Use public bus instead of Taxi. Look for coupons and deals from the flyers and magazines at the airport. Go grocery shopping when you get there and load up on daily things you need. Make sure you buy alcohol from duty free instead of buying at the hotel. Same goes for cigerates if you smoke. Tip is ALWAYS included in every bill at every place you eat.. NO NEED TO TIP ADDITIONAL unless you want to. Use the hotel provided bicycle to get around.. it is FREE.
You must go to Smith Cove.. it is a free beach area where you can snorkel, swim and take plenty of pictures you cannot take any where else.

George Town has plenty of shopping and things to see. Try a place called Paradise, nice place with great service and food right on the water.

Final verdict: Me and my family loved this place soo much we are already planning a trip back in the near future. I really hope Marriott reads this review and understand the only reason we are returning is because of the wonderful service their staff provided to us. I cant say enough about the service Howard, Nelson and Alex provided for us.. they truly are the face of this Marriott resort.. without them our stay would not have been the same (my son actually asks about Howard even 2 days after our return)

Besides the expense factor of this Island, Grand Cayman is a beautiful place and Marriott Cayman Resort is up there as one of the best if not the best property on this Island.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view with a balcony (if you don't mind the noise from pool and bar at night) if...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
11  Thank Blasphemystic

Dear Blasphemystic, thank you so much for taking the time to provide such a detailed review of your recent holiday with us. We are absolutely thrilled that you and your family enjoyed your vacation! It really is music to our ears to hear that we provided the best service you ever had from a Marriott brand!

I will also make sure to share all your wonderful comments with Howard, Nelson, Alex and Orville – they will be delighted to hear all the lovely things that you said about them and that your stay would not have been the same without them.

I love the pictures that you posted with your review! What I really like about our hotel is that it is close to nature. We have a number of native creatures that live in our Turtle Lagoon and roam the gardens on our property (making great photo opportunities!) I am glad to hear that your kids enjoyed this endlessly. And isn’t our Kids Club programme fantastic? Kathryn (our Kids Club leader) and I chose activities that we hoped families would do together like pottery painting, the family scavenger hunt and kite flying. We wanted parents and kids to spend quality time together and it was our aim to make it all about re-connecting with loved ones. It sounds like you and your family were able to do just that!

Thank you so much for your glowing review and we hope to welcome you and your family back to our beautiful island again very soon.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

As always my stay at the Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort was a pleasant one, and the service received by their staff superb. I cannot wait to see the final stage of the renovation, including the lobby.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Martin A

Dear Martin A, thanks for reviewing our resort. We are glad to hear that you had a great stay! We also appreciate your kind comments about our superb staff and wonderful customer service.

As you mentioned, we will be undergoing phase two of our renovations in September, which will change the look and feel of all our public spaces, including the lobby, restaurants and meeting rooms. It is such exciting times! Not only will we have our fresh juice station and gelato stand (another exciting recent addition) in our lobby, we will be offering other fun and delicious food stations such as a Crepe Stand. We look forward to your next visit when we can show off all the fabulous upgrades to our resort.

Thank you for choosing Marriott and we look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

Thank you Marriott Grand Cayman for 7 wonderful days at your hotel and resort.
As a grown up family of parents,children and grandchildren we have travelled from UK and USA to meet together for this week for 7 days and celebrate our Golden Wedding Anniversary at the hotel.
Everything has been better than we could have possibly expected in our wildest dreams.
Particularly memorable for us all has been the way in which your friendly staff together with the expert chefs gave us such a wonderful evening meal celebration for us to remember forever. Thank you , thank you everyone who made this happen for us.

Room Tip: Ocean view or courtyard view are all good, and good value. A/c everywhere if it's too warm outsi...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank John L

Dear John L, we really appreciate you providing a review of your recent vacation with us. We are absolutely thrilled that you had a memorable Golden Wedding Anniversary at our resort!

We know how important it is to reconnect with loved ones – and we are honored that you choose us as the destination to have your family reunion of three generations! It really is such a compliment to hear that everything was better than you could have possibly expected in your wildest dreams.

At our resort, the team approaches their jobs differently than other hotels. We go into work each day thinking from a guest’s perspective and we base our decisions on what we think will make their vacation experience with us unique and memorable. We always encourage our guests to assist us in defining a successful vacation — whether that be informing us of a special occasion being celebrated or telling us that their aim is to spend quality time with their family. I am delighted to hear that our staff and chefs provided such a wonderful meal celebration to remember forever on your anniversary!

Thank you for choosing us as your Beach House in Cayman and we hope to welcome you and your family back again very soon.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Beautiful room, excellent service, good restaurants. The beach was well kept, but crowded. The chairs, chaircovers, and water toys were free. The drinks tasted watery. The snorkeling was okay. The lack of smoking spots was very frustrating.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ucan2can78
Marriott_GrandCayman, Manager at Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Dear Ucan2can78, thanks for reviewing our resort. We really appreciate your kind words about our beautiful room, excellent customer service and good restaurants.

I am glad you enjoyed your dining experiences with us the hotel! Cayman is fast becoming the gastronomic capital of the Caribbean - with more than 106 different nationalities represented on our beautiful island, it inevitably has a diverse culinary offering. At all of our restaurants, we provide fresh, simple and innovative dishes. By having various specialty nights, we feel that we can really showcase a diverse range of delicious cuisines.

Thank you also for your feedback on the areas that you felt warranted improvement. I have shared your comments with the team so we can evaluate how we can better serve our guests.

We appreciate you choosing Marriott and we hope to see you again in Cayman very soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Seven Mile Beach
Caribbean Club
Caribbean Club
#1 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mi...
#7 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
Wyndham Reef Resort
Wyndham Reef Resort
#2 of 2 in East End

Been to Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort? Share your experiences!