“Dissapointed”

GreenLeadersGold level
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Dissapointed”
Reviewed 4 September 2014

We stayed here on our last night in Grand Cayman and were really looking forward to our last day on Seven Mile beach. We were told that they were closing the following day at 12 for renovations.
We didn't mind we were leaving at 11 to fly home. In the morning we were woken up because they were dismantling the pool and bar outside our room. I was horrified I wanted to spend my last few hours in Grand Cayman on the beach, but had to leave early because I couldn't put up with the noise. They charged us $30 dollars for a resort fee that I was not aware of when booking the hotel. But when I said I wasn't happy about the noise and disruptions they did remove the fee.

1 Thank Helene1003
Marriott_GrandCayman, Manager at Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, 6 September 2014
Dear Helene1003, thank you for taking the time to provide a review. The satisfaction of our guests is our top priority so we extend our most sincere apologies for the disruption caused by work being done outside of your room. As you mentioned, we are currently undergoing a massive renovation that will transform all our public spaces, including our oceanfront restaurant and bar, lobby, meeting rooms and fitness center.

Nonetheless, we are deeply sorry that you were disappointed with your experience with us and we hope you consider visiting us again when the work is finished so you can experience all the spectacular enhancements to our resort. I welcome you to contact me personally before your visit so I can assist you with your arrangements. Your can email me on ingrid.chaves@marriott.com or call me on (345) 949-0088.

Ingrid Chaves, Director of Rooms Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,507)
  • Polish first
queens, ny
Reviewed 3 September 2014

My six year old son and I travelled to Marriott Grand Cayman from August 17-21 and let me tell you we were both sad to go. We arrived on a Sunday afternoon and after we went through customs we quickly got a cab which cost about $18.75 US dollars. Upon arrival to the hotel around 1:30 our bags were set aside for us and check in was very quick. Luckily for us although check in time is 3pm our room was ready. My son and I quickly changed into our swimwear and headed down to have lunch by the beach. As I waited for our food my son couldn't help himself and went straight to the water and this is how the rest of our mini vacation went lol. The hotel is kept very clean and all of the staff members work very hard to keep the customers happy. Although the food is pricey every meal that we ate at the hotel was delicious and well prepared. Also there is an amazing kids club that has various activities taking place during the day for children of all ages. Also on various nights they have bonfires on the beach where everyone can make their own s'mores . In addition to that they have movie nights by the pool and give out fresh popcorn. Honestly in our days there my son and I were not bored for one minute! We went jet skiing, did the banana boat and swam with the sting rays. A couple of times we ventured off the property to have dinner and everything was within close proximity of the hotel. If you don't want to take the bus to the market there is a gas station right across the street where you can purchase water and any other necessities. There is also a Wendy's, Burger King, Subway, Pizza Hut, etc all within a 5 minute walk in case you are just craving some fast food. Lol! Overall I was a little weary of traveling abroad alone with my son but we couldn't have felt any safer on Grand Cayman and in the Marriott. The people on the island, the staff, the food , and the beach was amazing! We are waiting for the marriott to reopen so we can plan our next trip! We can't wait! Awesome job Marriott!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank SunLOver11368
Dear SunLOver11368, thanks for taking the time to provide a review of your resort. We are so glad that you and your son had an awesome time with us! We appreciate your generous comments about our attentive staff, great food and amazing beach.

I agree, I live here in Cayman and one of my favorite things about our beautiful island is how safe it is and how conducive it is to families. And isn’t our Kids Club fantastic? There are so many fun activities happening at our resort that it is easy to not venture out! When Kathryn (our Kids Club leader) and I were putting together the kids program, we chose activities that we hoped families would do together like pottery painting, the family scavenger hunt and kite flying. We wanted parents and kids to spend quality time together and it was our aim to make it all about re-connecting with loved ones. It sounds like you and your son were able to do just that!

Thanks for choosing us as your Beach House in Cayman and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 1 September 2014

We have just returned from a 9 day stay at the Marriott with a family of 4 (2 adults/2 teens) and we loved staying at this Marriott. From the time we checked in to the time we checked out, every employee we encountered was friendly, helpful and very professional. It appears that these employees really enjoy their jobs. The hotel itself was very clean and very nicely appointed... big enough to have lots of amenities but not too big so that's its hard to learn your way around or get from point a to point b. Many of the hotels on Seven Mile Beach are actually across the street from the beach but the Marriott is on the beach and just a very short walk from any room on the property.

Yes, the beach in front of the hotel is rather small as the beach actually ends not far from from the property... which is why there is such excellent snorkeling around the property. The beach chairs are close together as compared to other resorts but we had no problem finding a chair or getting the staff to set up an umbrella for us. The water trampolines and platforms out in the water are wonderful and well utilized and are great for laying out or hanging out. Fish are literally swimming around the platforms which makes for great snorkeling even for small children. I had bought two cheap blow-up floats from target ($6 a piece) and used those to float out in the ocean which was wonderful. (Tip... if you do this, the dive shop on site will inflate your mattresses for you vs. having to blow them up by mouth). The beach and the water in front of the hotel is beautiful!!!

The rooms were clean, housekeeping did a good job and most of the time left us extra towels. The bed were extremely comfortable and the air conditioner worked FANTASTIC...we were actually cold at night the first few nights... which never happens with my family. I slept better in this hotel than I have in any other hotel I've stayed in... and I travel alot.

Yes, the food at the Marriott is expensive but I never had a meal that I didn't really really like (the fish tacos are some of the best I've had). There are many restaurants within a quick walk from the hotel where you can have some really good, much cheaper meals. There is a convenient store, a liquor store, dive shop and many other conveniences within a 5-10 minute walk of the hotel. To get to the grocery store, you can take the bus which is really convenient and only costs $2.50 per person (the bus stop is directly outside of the hotel). It is very easy to get to George Town by bus... with no more than a 4-5 minute wait.

We rented a car for two of the days we were there so that we could explore the entire island and I highly recommend this. (There is an AVIS on-site at the hotel and their process is incredibly stream-lined). I was a little concerned about driving on the left hand side of the road but it turned out to be fairly easy... signs everywhere reminding you to drive on the left, fairly courteous local drivers and easy roads. There are a ton of small off-the-beaten-path beaches to explore and great snorkeling sites. We rented our car on Saturday and Sunday which made the traffic very light.

Our family dove with Deep Blue Divers (top-notch!) and went snorkeling at StingRay City and Coral Gardens with Sunrays Tours (excellent). I recommend them both highly!!

We loved Grand Cayman and we loved this Marriott. A few of the employees explained the renovation that is now underway and it sounds like it will be even better than it is now. I can't say enough good things about it.

Room Tip: If you have small children or otherwise like or need daytime quiet times, I would request a room on...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Becky H
Marriott_GrandCayman, Manager at Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, 4 September 2014
Dear Becky H, thanks for taking the time to provide such a detailed review of our resort. We really appreciate your kind comments about our helpful and professional staff, nicely-appointed hotel, beautiful beach and good food. Our aim is to provide our guests with a cozy and residential atmosphere where they can feel at home at our Beach House. We are glad that your family enjoyed the convenience of having the pool and beach close together as well as your room only being a stone’s throw away from the beautiful sea.

And I can really identify with your adoration for Cayman – I live here and absolutely love it. It is very family-friendly and incredibly safe as well as being easy to get around. As you mentioned, the island also offers many amazing restaurants and fantastic shopping. Plus you can’t beat Seven Mile Beach; it is one of the most beloved beaches across the Caribbean with its warm turquoise waters and soft powdery sand! It really is paradise.

Thank you so much for choosing us as your Beach House in Cayman and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back again in the near future!

Reviewed 29 August 2014 via mobile

My visit to this hotel was to celebrate my sister's baccholerette party with a few friends. Getting to the hotel was easy and fast from the hotel. Within a few feet of the hotel gate and along the main boulevard are local restaurants that allows you options from what the hotel has to offer. (Eating at the hotel can be pricey). And the local restaurants are fabulous! But the hotel staff are ALL there for your relaxation and enjoyment. They are responsive and always willing to make things right for you. The hotel sits on the Seven Mile beach which is calm, warm, clear, and clean. The water would also perfect for my 5 yr old nephew. Overall, great place for anyone regardless of age...loved my stay there.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank KDARMY
Dear KDARMY, thanks for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent vacation. We are thrilled that you loved your stay with us! We really appreciate your generous comments about our ideal location, responsive staff and beautiful beachfront.

At our resort, we do our best to provide our guests with the ultimate Beach House experience by creating a fun and relaxed atmosphere where friends and family can spend quality time together. Did you have the chance to check out our bonfire nights during your stay? We like to hand out ingredients to our guests so that they can make S’mores – it is one of my favorite activities as it evokes the happy nostalgia of summertime. Plus it is so much fun for all ages!

We are delighted that your sister enjoyed celebrating her bachelorette with us and we hope to welcome you back to our Beach House again very soon!

Reviewed 29 August 2014

Our stay was August 4-10, 2014. As soon as you walk in, you are treated with respect, and the staff truly wants to help make your stay the best in any way they can. Our stay was the "All Inclusive" package, where we were able to eat and drink at all the restaurants in the hotel included in our booking fee, and needless to say, we LOVED everything we ate. We did not go hungry (or thirsty!)!. We had a different server most nights, but we had Yogesh quite a few times, including our first night. Once he found out it was our honeymoon, he brought us complimentary bubbly and dessert! And every time we saw him after that (whether he was waiting on us or not) he greeted us by name! He was very attentive and pleasant! It was a great trip, and would go back anytime! The resort is actually going to remodel this winter (winter of 2014-2015) and I hope to make it back sometime soon to see how it has changed!

Room Tip: Higher floors have less noise from the beach, but we stayed right above/behind the bar area, and we...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Marriott_GrandCayman, Manager at Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Dear Brandy L, thanks for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay with us. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your honeymoon at our Beach House!

We appreciate your kind words about our friendly staff and great food. I will make sure to tell Yogesh that you mentioned him in your review – he will be thrilled that his attentive customer service was noticed. When our team gets wind that one of our guests is celebrating something special, we really go out of our way to ensure it is memorable. I am so glad to hear that you were pleasantly surprised with complimentary bubbly and dessert during dinner!

You are correct, we are currently undergoing a massive renovation to all our public spaces, which will include our lobby, restaurants and fitness center. It is going to be a complete design overhaul and we are very excited to unveil our new resort in a few weeks’ time! We hope to welcome you back again very soon so you can experience all the spectacular enhancements.

Thank you for choosing us as your Beach House in Cayman and we are looking forward to seeing you again in the near future!

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 28 August 2014

Me and my husband were married at the Marriott Grand Cayman Beach Resort on January 18, 2014 on the beach in front of the hotel. Our 6 kids, their spouses and kids all flew together from Los Angeles to the Cayman Islands for the wedding . It was truly an amazing experience all the way around. Although there were some minor hiccups along the way, everything was immediately addressed and corrected. The staff was very accommodating and the entire family had a great time. The wedding packages they offered made it very affordable to hold our wedding at the Marriott. It was exactly what we wanted it to be and more. I will write more later but if you have specific questions, feel free to contact me.

Room Tip: All rooms are great but we prefer ocean view. We had a great room.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Marriott_GrandCayman, Manager at Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, 2 September 2014
Dear Lorraine771, thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay with us. We are thrilled that you and your husband enjoyed celebrating your wedding at our resort! It is music to our ears to hear that it was exactly what you wanted it to be and more.

I agree, I think our Beach House is the perfect place to celebrate a special occasion such as a wedding. From the powdery white sand of our beachfront to the stunning views of the turquoise blue ocean right in front of you – it is the ideal setting to commemorate a once-in-a-lifetime occasion. I am so happy to hear that you found our staff very accommodating and your entire family had a great time. And I love the pics you included with your review! Isn't Seven Mile Beach just the perfect backdrop?

Thank you for choosing us as your Beach House in Cayman and we hope to welcome you and your family back again very soon!

Davie, Florida
Reviewed 27 August 2014

I chose to stay at the Marriott mainly because we had a great experience with the company during our anniversary trip to Curacao back in January of this year. I must say that I was glad that we stayed here. Everything about our five night stay was terrific. Starting with the hotel staff that was amazingly friendly and helpful. The gentleman at the front desk, Alex, made our early check in a pleasure. The room was sparkling clean and comfortable, the view from the patio door was not great but for the rate we paid it was understandable. The facilities and amenities are comparable with other similar hotels. The beach seems to get a bit crowded but we always managed to get lounges no matter at what time of the day we decided to drop by. The water is great and the artificial reef a few feet offshore gives plenty of snorkeling opportunities in a relatively safe environment. There are plenty of dinning choices within walking distance from the hotel. Walking north or south from here on W Bay road will land you in a restaurant. If shopping and dining is preferred a short walk to Camana bay gives you access to many shops and restaurants.

1 Thank Michael C
Dear Michael C, thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay with us. We are glad you had a terrific time! We appreciate your kind comments about our friendly and helpful staff, clean and comfortable rooms as well as the great snorkeling right at our doorstep. I will make sure to tell Alex that you mentioned him in your review – he will be glad to hear that he made such a positive impression on your time with us.

As you mentioned, our resort is ideally located on Seven Mile Beach with its proximity to Camana Bay and Georgetown as well as numerous restaurants, bars and shopping centers being a stone’s throw away. Did you have the chance to take advantage of our free bike rentals? They are a fantastic way to explore and get around the island.

Thanking you for choosing us as your Beach House in Cayman and we hope to welcome you back again very soon!