“Nice and friendly place to stay”

Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
USA
“Nice and friendly place to stay”
Reviewed 18 July 2009

Great hotel. I would say this place is the best hotel to stay at on the island. They have tourist attractions (red sail office), car rental concierege in the lobby. They also provide turn-down service. The check in is at 4 p.m. (i did not know that, but they do try and accomadate you if you come in early). We saw a lot of families, children, and couples here. The locals also drive on the left side of the road (UK) we did not know that.

Overall, Cayman Islands is a great place for families and couples. Not a "spring break" place which is good. Very safe island. The locals love the tourists which i have not seen anywhere else.

The hotel food is expensive. I would highly recommend eating at Cimbucos Restaurant (located across the street by the Texaco gas station). Best breakfast for only $5.00 and their lunch and dinner is very good. Dunkin Donuts is right next to the Butterfly farm (walking distance too).

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank CAYMAN2009

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,549)
  • Polish first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 18 July 2009

I'm a female solo traveler (30 y/o) and my priorities were a nice, clean place, right on the beach, and that is exactly what I found. I love a robe in my room, which was nice, as well as the slippers. The room was very nice, not the most extravagant of places, but very nice and clean. My patio overlooked the turtle lagoon, which I absolutely loved (of course I'm a turtle lover). The mattress itself was a bit of a disappointment. They had a great mattress cover on it, a great mattress pad, but when it came down to it, I could still see the two body crevices. Nevertheless, it was still comfortable. As someone else had said, this is a renovated hotel, so it's not your typical sprawling resort. The area it does cover is very nice. I had no problems finding a beach chair--they had a sign out stating not to leave your stuff unattended (claiming a chair) for more than an hour. The spa was nice, I had an hour massage and pedicure, but is quite limited space-wise and is somewhat expensive compared to other resorts (my parents had purchased a gift certificate for me). They only had one pedicure chair. I'm glad I was on the north side of the hotel, it was quiet. The south side of the hotel (as reported by other individuals) is adjacent to an up and coming hotel/resort, with much activity and noise from the bulldozers, etc. On our side, they were doing some work, but refrained from doing anything until 10 am, which was fine for me because I was always out by then. They were installing new A/C for the rooms across from me, so that's always encouraging. With the humidity, you'll appreciate it. Again, all of the employees there were friendly, from the restaurants, the front desk, and room keepers, to those at the bars and the red sail folks. Stop by the bar downstairs--the guys are great (a guy from the Philippines and one from Brazil). :) They can direct you where you can go to have a good time. I'm happy with having stayed there. The lobster quesadilla is very good.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
Irvine, California
Reviewed 14 July 2009

My husband and I just returned from a 7 day stay at the Marriott and it was great! I'm surprised by the review given by AlAnn from DC, because we visited at the same time and didn't encounter any problems at all. Although I didn't have a view from my balcony, it was fine because I wasn't in my room long enough to enjoy it anyway. We had a king room and it was huge, as was the bathroom. Room Service was prompt and the food was way above average for this Marriott. We didn't have a bad meal/breakfast the entire stay. The beach was awesome (you could swim out pretty far and it wasn't too deep), the sand was glorious and the snorkeling is pretty good. Beach service was spot on and the service was prompt and courteous (compared to other Islands, including HI). We hit the beach around 10:30 and didn't have any problem getting chairs (4) or umbrellas. We never made it to the pool the whole time we were there. Our friends were staying at the Westin and had an oceanfront room, and our room was twice the size. Our friends also commented that the food was better at our hotel. We spent a day at the Westin's beach, and although they have trees for shade (if you don't mind moving your chair around the tree when the sun changes) we all liked the beach at the Marriott better. There were no umbrellas at the Westin, but you could rent a Cabana for $50/day (only 4 cabanas).

We drove to Rum Point, which is ok. It was very crowded with cruise passengers and seemed a bit dumpy/dirty in my opinion. A few good places to eat are Portofino's, Papagallos, The Grand Old House and Deckers. We ate at The Wharf one night, but was disappointed in both the service and quality of food (as was another family we met who ate there). We also rented Mopeds and toured the whole Island.

All in all I don't think we could have picked a better place to stay on Seven Mile Beach. I visited and ate at the Ritz, and although it was nice (food wasn't great), it's way too big and highly overrated ($600/night). We visited Morritt's Tortuga Club and it's very windy there (the resort seemed nice). The Reef looked very nice, but we didn't get a chance to visit there. The Caymanians are very pleasant, polite people and are truly service oriented. They are there to please you, and you can feel their sincerity. You feel very safe in the Caymans as compared to other Islands, i.e., Jamaica, Bahama's, Aruba, etc... We will be back!!

5 Thank ecmazz
Washington, DC
Reviewed 9 July 2009

This was our first trip to Cayman Island. We have traveled to several islands and just did not really care for it. We also are Marriott Platinum members and stay in Marriotts in all our travels. Unfortunately we were very disappointed in this Marriott. The property seemed to need some attention-from the grounds to inside. In addition, the price that we were paying was not worth what we received. We were so disappointed, as for us our surroundings is what helps make a vacation for us.

San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 6 July 2009

We stayed here for 6 nights at about $100/night (booked as part of an Orbitz package). At that price I'd consider to be a very good value, especially for the Caymans (things in general seem to pretty expensive here). In terms of the amenities and service I'd give it a solid 3.5 stars, maybe 4 stars. The only problem we had is that they were pretty slow to get the rooms ready, but it wasn't a huge deal. The section of 7 Mile Beach in front of the Marriott is fantastic, and we were quite happy with the snorkeling in that area. If you go out a few hundred feet and head south you will encounter a section of rocks/reef that shelters a good deal of marine life. We also managed to see a sea turtle while snorkeling out between the reef balls and the red buoy.

One negative: the Internet prices are ridiculously high (I believe this is true of most/all Marriotts?) You can get free WiFi nearby at the plaza that contains Cimboco's and Cafe del Sol.

2 Thank MikeySF
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 4 July 2009

My husband and I just returned from a five night stay at this wonderful resort - our only regret is that it could not be longer! We were in room #513 with a wonderful view of the courtyard. The bed was one of the most comfortable beds of all the places I've stayed in the Caribbean. The room was large and comfortable with a large bathroom. The staff is absolutely amazing - so friendly and willing to help with anything they can.

The location was great - and within walking distance of many of the Seven Mile Beach restaurants. We did not have breakfast at the resort, but walked to Coconut Joe's and Cimboco for very reasonably priced breakfasts. We did eat dinner at Solona's a couple of times and the food is truly great - we did the all-you-can -eat lobster and we were not disappointed. They have really good chefs at this resort. We also ate at the Cracked Conch (wonderful views and great food!) and The Lobster Pot - also a wonderful place. The bars were great and had anything you could want.

The beach is a little small, but still wonderful. One of the main reasons we chose this resort is because of the reef at the beach. They have done a great job with the reef balls, helping to re-establish the reef that was damaged by the hurricaine a few years ago. We spent time every day, snorkeling in the water here - there was so much to see! They have resident parrots with real personality - fun to visit with them! The courtyard is home to many turtles and iguanas and birds.

We rented a car one day to explore a little - visited Hell (beautiful rock formations), the turtle farm for the sea turtles and the Cracked Conch. I highly recommend the stingray city sail/snorkel trip that is offered by the Red Sail company, right there at the Marriott. We got to play with the stingrays, which was an amazing experience, even if a bit "touristy". We also stopped to snorkel at a beautiful spot before we went to the stingrays. The sail alone was wonderful and the people who work on the catamaran are friendly and love what they do and more than willing to share their knowledge about the amazing creatures we were fortunate enough to see and touch.

Grand Cayman is expensive, as others have mentioned. But it is a beautiful, very safe and an extremely fun island to visit. Even though we usually travel to new places we have never seen before, this is a place I would not hesitate to return.

1 Thank travellover3868
Texas
Reviewed 29 June 2009

We stayed here in June 2008. We had a party of 7, which consisted of 2 adults, 2 teens, 1 child, 2 preschoolers. We had a blast! The beach was beautiful. If you go to the towel shack at 5 PM, you can ask for turtle food to go feed the turtles in their courtyard. My kids loved that. The iguanas are plentiful! My kids got a kick out of taking a strawberry from the breakfast buffet and feeding them. (not supposed to, I know) I would not do the pirate buffet again, it was waaay overpriced. The show with this dinner was not what we were expecting. Very expensive, not worth it. The breakfast buffet was the best we've ever had. I loved trying the "Cayman" breakfast recipes...fried fish for breakfast! The only bad part was when our fire alarm went off several times in the middle of the night. Turns out there was a prom there, and the kids were pulling the alarm. Not good for us. Overall, we LOVED this hotel. Beware of the mean black bird who lives in the tree outside the front....he will divebomb your head!

• Stayed June 2008, travelled with family