“Very disappointed with this hotel”

Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 27 July 2009

When we first arrived at the hotel we checked in and immediately have to relocate. My husband was in the bathroom putting our items away when he heard this noise and the floor started to vibrate. They failed to tell us that they were doing some remodeling and they would be working on it for sometime. We were given another room with a better view. On the second day we were there we went down to the conceirge to get some information on the water excursions. We waited almost 45 minutes for the lady to even recognize the fact we were standing there. I immediately went over to the front desk to see if they could help me and they stated that I needed to go back and wait. What kind of service is this?? If your looking to spend a lot of cash your on the right island. My husband and I went to the Solana Resturant where I ordered a steak with potoates and vegetables. I got four potatoes that were maybe a 1/2 inch in legth with a baby carrott that still had the stem on it and my husband got the lobster plate. We then ordered two coffees with the taramisu and our bill was $160.00 US dollars!! That's right!! No matter where you went, it was very costly. It was $30.00 per person for breakfast at the Red Parrott which is a restuarant in the Marriott. If you want to snorkel it's $20.00 per rental per person per day. The beach was amazing as well as the sunset. The Sting Ray City tour was amazing and loved every minute of it. We did do the Turtle Farm and it was very depressing. It's really a place where they raise and kill the turtles for the meat. Don't waste your money. The Hard Rock cafe was great, but pricey as well. If you want to do some shopping please note they are only jewelry stores, liquor stores and places with cheap t-shirts. They caymanians go to Miami for clothes shopping. I found this out after I left my strapless bra at home! All in all it was a great trip and loved the sand and ocean.

Reviewed 21 July 2009

I am a gold Marriott member and this Marriott is the best I have ever stayed internationally. I would give high ratings to this hotel based on service, rooms, location, friendliness of staff, etc. We had a double room view of the courtyard--very spacious for my wife and little 3 year old boy. The beach was very clean and private. Hotel provided great towel and umbrella service. Other ratings on Tripadvisor gave the hotel lower ratings due to the nearby construction and renovations at the hotel. However, we did not hear any construction nearby and the renovations were hardly noticeable. The staff at the hotel were great. They really love the kids there and even provide an on-site day care (from 12-6) free of charge. I encourage any travellers to the Cayman to stay here if your budget allows. Island is great and people are very friendly. You'll have a good time anywhere you stay on the island.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 July 2009

The Marriott Beach Resort on Seven Mile Beach is a fantastic hotel. Sitting at the fabulous pool looking out over the beach was great. The rooms in the hotel are very spacious and have everything you need, rooms cleaned in the morning and turned down again in the evening. At night time, its was so relaxing, either sitting inside at the bar or looking sitting outside looking over the turtle pool. The people that work in the hotel could not do enough to ensure that our stay was enjoyable, they were so friendly and helpful. I would definately recommend staying here!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 July 2009

I stayed at the Marriott Grand Cayman from July 12 to July 17. I had a wonderful stay. At first I was afraid from all the reviews I read about construction or reviews about "oceanfront rooms". When I got there though I was relieved. They gave me Room 530 which had a great view of the ocean. I was so happy! Also I didn't hear any construction noise from my room. I was also happy with the size of the room (pretty big). I never had a problem getting an umbrella or a chair on the beach or the pool. I guess because it's not peak season.
Regarding Grand Cayman, the people are really nice there. The only thing I didn't like was that it was so expensive. I paid a lot of money just for food. I actually liked the food better in Aruba, but it was still good. I liked Calypso Grill, Ragazzi and Mezza. You can walk to Ragazzi and Mezza. For Calypso Grill it's better to rent a car for one day and drive there and around the island. Otherwise if you take a cab there it's not worth it. I ate at Coconut Joes only once. I couldn't enjoy my meal because I kept getting bitten by mosquitos. I forgot to bring my bug spray! To save money on breakfast I would go to Kirk's supermarket and get a veggie patty for $1.49 CI or a croissant with ham and cheese for $3-4.50 CI (depending on the size). They make it for you at the counter. Also you can get drinks and store it in the fridge in your hotel room. I went to Andy's across the street from the Marriott to rent a car. The folks there were so nice. And cheaper than Avis. Also for snorkel gear I rented from the Diving Shop instead of the hotel. I think it's about 2-3 blocks to the left of the hotel. They charge about $4 CI/person/day. The hotel charges $15 US/person/day. For Stingray City I used Moby Dick Tours. I cannot say enough good things about them. They were incredible and very professional. I highly recommend them. For souvenirs I shopped at Georgetown. I also got some stamps (for collecting) from the Post Office there. In summary I really enjoyed my stay in the Marriott and Grand Cayman but my wallet really took a beating!

5  Thank Jennernini
Reviewed 18 July 2009

Great hotel. I would say this place is the best hotel to stay at on the island. They have tourist attractions (red sail office), car rental concierege in the lobby. They also provide turn-down service. The check in is at 4 p.m. (i did not know that, but they do try and accomadate you if you come in early). We saw a lot of families, children, and couples here. The locals also drive on the left side of the road (UK) we did not know that.

Overall, Cayman Islands is a great place for families and couples. Not a "spring break" place which is good. Very safe island. The locals love the tourists which i have not seen anywhere else.

The hotel food is expensive. I would highly recommend eating at Cimbucos Restaurant (located across the street by the Texaco gas station). Best breakfast for only $5.00 and their lunch and dinner is very good. Dunkin Donuts is right next to the Butterfly farm (walking distance too).

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank CAYMAN2009
Reviewed 18 July 2009

I'm a female solo traveler (30 y/o) and my priorities were a nice, clean place, right on the beach, and that is exactly what I found. I love a robe in my room, which was nice, as well as the slippers. The room was very nice, not the most extravagant of places, but very nice and clean. My patio overlooked the turtle lagoon, which I absolutely loved (of course I'm a turtle lover). The mattress itself was a bit of a disappointment. They had a great mattress cover on it, a great mattress pad, but when it came down to it, I could still see the two body crevices. Nevertheless, it was still comfortable. As someone else had said, this is a renovated hotel, so it's not your typical sprawling resort. The area it does cover is very nice. I had no problems finding a beach chair--they had a sign out stating not to leave your stuff unattended (claiming a chair) for more than an hour. The spa was nice, I had an hour massage and pedicure, but is quite limited space-wise and is somewhat expensive compared to other resorts (my parents had purchased a gift certificate for me). They only had one pedicure chair. I'm glad I was on the north side of the hotel, it was quiet. The south side of the hotel (as reported by other individuals) is adjacent to an up and coming hotel/resort, with much activity and noise from the bulldozers, etc. On our side, they were doing some work, but refrained from doing anything until 10 am, which was fine for me because I was always out by then. They were installing new A/C for the rooms across from me, so that's always encouraging. With the humidity, you'll appreciate it. Again, all of the employees there were friendly, from the restaurants, the front desk, and room keepers, to those at the bars and the red sail folks. Stop by the bar downstairs--the guys are great (a guy from the Philippines and one from Brazil). :) They can direct you where you can go to have a good time. I'm happy with having stayed there. The lobster quesadilla is very good.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 July 2009

My husband and I just returned from a 7 day stay at the Marriott and it was great! I'm surprised by the review given by AlAnn from DC, because we visited at the same time and didn't encounter any problems at all. Although I didn't have a view from my balcony, it was fine because I wasn't in my room long enough to enjoy it anyway. We had a king room and it was huge, as was the bathroom. Room Service was prompt and the food was way above average for this Marriott. We didn't have a bad meal/breakfast the entire stay. The beach was awesome (you could swim out pretty far and it wasn't too deep), the sand was glorious and the snorkeling is pretty good. Beach service was spot on and the service was prompt and courteous (compared to other Islands, including HI). We hit the beach around 10:30 and didn't have any problem getting chairs (4) or umbrellas. We never made it to the pool the whole time we were there. Our friends were staying at the Westin and had an oceanfront room, and our room was twice the size. Our friends also commented that the food was better at our hotel. We spent a day at the Westin's beach, and although they have trees for shade (if you don't mind moving your chair around the tree when the sun changes) we all liked the beach at the Marriott better. There were no umbrellas at the Westin, but you could rent a Cabana for $50/day (only 4 cabanas).

We drove to Rum Point, which is ok. It was very crowded with cruise passengers and seemed a bit dumpy/dirty in my opinion. A few good places to eat are Portofino's, Papagallos, The Grand Old House and Deckers. We ate at The Wharf one night, but was disappointed in both the service and quality of food (as was another family we met who ate there). We also rented Mopeds and toured the whole Island.

All in all I don't think we could have picked a better place to stay on Seven Mile Beach. I visited and ate at the Ritz, and although it was nice (food wasn't great), it's way too big and highly overrated ($600/night). We visited Morritt's Tortuga Club and it's very windy there (the resort seemed nice). The Reef looked very nice, but we didn't get a chance to visit there. The Caymanians are very pleasant, polite people and are truly service oriented. They are there to please you, and you can feel their sincerity. You feel very safe in the Caymans as compared to other Islands, i.e., Jamaica, Bahama's, Aruba, etc... We will be back!!

5  Thank ecmazz
Caribbean Club
Caribbean Club
#1 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mi...
#5 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
Wyndham Reef Resort
Wyndham Reef Resort
#2 of 2 in East End

Been to Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort? Share your experiences!