“Magnificent stay with the exeption of one night........” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
Brighton
“Magnificent stay with the exeption of one night........”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2009

Dropped into Grand Cayman for a 5 day birthday vacation. What a great island, but very expensive in strange ways. Stayed at the Marriott in an ocean front room which overlooked the beach, looked out toward the ocean, and got bombarded with the beach version of a night club - more on that later.
The beach was fantastic, snorkelling was great, and the hotel itself was quite nice - lots of little turtles, parrots, and iguanas running around. Room was very nice and well appointed. Didnt do any diving but took trip out to Singray City which I would recommend as a must do on any trip to GCM. Water was crystal - had some great photo ops. Food on the island is great but you must remember that prices are in CI dollars whcih is worth $1.25 US per CI dollar. That can fool you into thinking that things are cheap but when you have a breakfast for $16CI its really $20US. The better food is found in some of the better restaurants. Ate at the Lobster Pot and Luca's which I would highly recommend. Had dinner at Neptunes but would not recommend it as the meal was jus very average for the price. We wanted to go to the Calypso Grill for dinner, known as the best seafood restaurant but here's the catch, the cab fare round trip would have been $50 and that was just too expensive to pay in addition to the meal. Expect meals at your better restaurants to run between $75 and $100US per person. This was the first country where its cheaper to rent a car (approx. $40/day) than take taxis. The local bus system is quite good with trips costing $2CI per person. They even reversed course to pick us up and take us downtown. Very friendly island and I would go back there in a heartbeat.
Regarding the beach nightclub - Marriott in their infinite wisdom decides to setup a nighclub event called LaPlange every Saturday night from 9-12. Problem here is that unless you want to party with the crowd, you will be unable to sleep or just hand out on your balcony and have a quite drink. I found this the most annoying and unpleasurable part of the trip. I think that Marriott should let clients know on their website of this event so plans can be made accordingly. I wonder how many complaints they got. If they had just kept the volume down a notch or two it would have been more tolerable, but when you are bombarded with techno disco beats and music for 3 hours, its definitely gets on your nerve. We were in room 556 which is on the top floor overlooking the night club setup so if we were on another side of the hotel, it might not have been so bad. The next time, if our stay spans a Saturday night, will not be staying at the Marriott unless they change this most inconsiderate activity in the future. That was luckily the only negative thing about the hotel.
One amusing thing that happened, we got into a cab and asked to be taken to a local restaurant. Apparrently the cab driver didnt know about this place and drove around and we had to go back to the hotel to get directions. What was amazing was when we finally did get the directions and we got to the restaurant, he informed us that he had eaten there quite a bit - go figure. Not a problem though because we ended up eating at the Lobster Pot - one of the best seafood dinners. Right across teh street if Coconut Joes which is a cool little restaurant that serves breakfast and other dishes. Best breakfast place to eat - unless you want to pay $44 at the hotel. Another breakfast place is ICOA whcih is about a 5 minute walk from the Marriott. Great little SOHO type of place - worth at least one meal.
So if you go, take plenty of cash, rent a car, and enjoy the place. Would give it an A+ apart form the noisy beach night club.
So if you go,

1 Thank Mihcigan_Travelbuff

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,445)
  • Polish first
Hopewell Junction, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2009

From the moment we checked in frustrated by not having our luggage, the hotel staff consistantly went out of their way to accomodate you with excellent service. Hotel was clean, well cared for and overall a great vacation.

Parrot Bar breakfast is worth it for a varied selection of fresh breakfast items.
Solana - excellent food; somewhat pricey as everything seems to be in GC
I would skip the Bucaneer's Feast (not worth it but pretty beachfron dining was nice).
Saturday nights is beach party night..... unless you want to hang out with all of the local 20 -25 year olds, I would find another night time event.

Overall a memorabe vacation at a great hotel. Would definitely go back.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2009

Amazing snorkeling right outside the hotel!

This was our first trip to Grand Cayman and it was absolutely incredible. The hotel was great but the strong point was the staff. We purchased the *all inclusive package..**beware** it was/is NOT all inclusive as explained by the Marriott customer service department. This is a good package as far as dining is concerned. All of the restaurants are included with the exception of whatever "event" is going on that particular evng. if you choose to attend you will have to pay to attend or just dine at one of the other restaurants at the property. I recommend Solana it is on the edge of the property facing the ocean..great service and the food was consistently good. Balboa's (in the lobby) was OK, the tables are very small and the service was slow..if you have more then two people dining sit outside in the courtyard and enjoy the palm trees. Sol Bar was our favorite of all the choices. Great menu and fast fast service even on the beach.

**Beware** NO child care/ Kids club activities are included with the all inclusive package. No non motorized watercraft IE: kayaks/water bikes are included either. We were told these items /services we included and were not part of the package.I spoke to management and they apologized but did not offer any explanation other then these services are offered by outside vendors and are not part of the Marriott. Watch out for the "drink specials" as they are NOT included in the package . There are 3 beer choices and a list of 9 drinks to choose from(aside from soda /water and juices) that are included..ask for a list at the front desk and carry it with you ,we did and it cut down on any confusion .

Aside from the confusion with the package we enjoyed every miunte of our time in Grand Cayman ! Make sure and visit cemetary beach and don't forget to go to Hell..:)

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Atlanta
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2009

When we first arrived at the hotel we checked in and immediately have to relocate. My husband was in the bathroom putting our items away when he heard this noise and the floor started to vibrate. They failed to tell us that they were doing some remodeling and they would be working on it for sometime. We were given another room with a better view. On the second day we were there we went down to the conceirge to get some information on the water excursions. We waited almost 45 minutes for the lady to even recognize the fact we were standing there. I immediately went over to the front desk to see if they could help me and they stated that I needed to go back and wait. What kind of service is this?? If your looking to spend a lot of cash your on the right island. My husband and I went to the Solana Resturant where I ordered a steak with potoates and vegetables. I got four potatoes that were maybe a 1/2 inch in legth with a baby carrott that still had the stem on it and my husband got the lobster plate. We then ordered two coffees with the taramisu and our bill was $160.00 US dollars!! That's right!! No matter where you went, it was very costly. It was $30.00 per person for breakfast at the Red Parrott which is a restuarant in the Marriott. If you want to snorkel it's $20.00 per rental per person per day. The beach was amazing as well as the sunset. The Sting Ray City tour was amazing and loved every minute of it. We did do the Turtle Farm and it was very depressing. It's really a place where they raise and kill the turtles for the meat. Don't waste your money. The Hard Rock cafe was great, but pricey as well. If you want to do some shopping please note they are only jewelry stores, liquor stores and places with cheap t-shirts. They caymanians go to Miami for clothes shopping. I found this out after I left my strapless bra at home! All in all it was a great trip and loved the sand and ocean.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dallas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2009

I am a gold Marriott member and this Marriott is the best I have ever stayed internationally. I would give high ratings to this hotel based on service, rooms, location, friendliness of staff, etc. We had a double room view of the courtyard--very spacious for my wife and little 3 year old boy. The beach was very clean and private. Hotel provided great towel and umbrella service. Other ratings on Tripadvisor gave the hotel lower ratings due to the nearby construction and renovations at the hotel. However, we did not hear any construction nearby and the renovations were hardly noticeable. The staff at the hotel were great. They really love the kids there and even provide an on-site day care (from 12-6) free of charge. I encourage any travellers to the Cayman to stay here if your budget allows. Island is great and people are very friendly. You'll have a good time anywhere you stay on the island.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2009

The Marriott Beach Resort on Seven Mile Beach is a fantastic hotel. Sitting at the fabulous pool looking out over the beach was great. The rooms in the hotel are very spacious and have everything you need, rooms cleaned in the morning and turned down again in the evening. At night time, its was so relaxing, either sitting inside at the bar or looking sitting outside looking over the turtle pool. The people that work in the hotel could not do enough to ensure that our stay was enjoyable, they were so friendly and helpful. I would definately recommend staying here!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2009

I stayed at the Marriott Grand Cayman from July 12 to July 17. I had a wonderful stay. At first I was afraid from all the reviews I read about construction or reviews about "oceanfront rooms". When I got there though I was relieved. They gave me Room 530 which had a great view of the ocean. I was so happy! Also I didn't hear any construction noise from my room. I was also happy with the size of the room (pretty big). I never had a problem getting an umbrella or a chair on the beach or the pool. I guess because it's not peak season.
Regarding Grand Cayman, the people are really nice there. The only thing I didn't like was that it was so expensive. I paid a lot of money just for food. I actually liked the food better in Aruba, but it was still good. I liked Calypso Grill, Ragazzi and Mezza. You can walk to Ragazzi and Mezza. For Calypso Grill it's better to rent a car for one day and drive there and around the island. Otherwise if you take a cab there it's not worth it. I ate at Coconut Joes only once. I couldn't enjoy my meal because I kept getting bitten by mosquitos. I forgot to bring my bug spray! To save money on breakfast I would go to Kirk's supermarket and get a veggie patty for $1.49 CI or a croissant with ham and cheese for $3-4.50 CI (depending on the size). They make it for you at the counter. Also you can get drinks and store it in the fridge in your hotel room. I went to Andy's across the street from the Marriott to rent a car. The folks there were so nice. And cheaper than Avis. Also for snorkel gear I rented from the Diving Shop instead of the hotel. I think it's about 2-3 blocks to the left of the hotel. They charge about $4 CI/person/day. The hotel charges $15 US/person/day. For Stingray City I used Moby Dick Tours. I cannot say enough good things about them. They were incredible and very professional. I highly recommend them. For souvenirs I shopped at Georgetown. I also got some stamps (for collecting) from the Post Office there. In summary I really enjoyed my stay in the Marriott and Grand Cayman but my wallet really took a beating!

5 Thank Jennernini