“Nice Hotel - Good Restaurants - Expensive - Doubt I would come back”

Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
New York
“Nice Hotel - Good Restaurants - Expensive - Doubt I would come back”
Reviewed 16 January 2010

My daughter stayed next door at the Comfort Suites in the spring, had perfect weather loved the snorkeling and recommended a Cayman Vacation. They snorkeled all day, did not care about the limited nightlife or lack of gambling. We arrived Jan. 8 and left Jan. 15. The unusual cold wave that hit the US affected most of the Carribean (not Aruba). We only had 1.5 days of good weather for the 7 days there. When I arrived a person leaving said it was 65 degrees for 2 days the prior week. Our last day and 1/2 was beautiful so I am not sure what is typical. We had 30 miles an hour North winds until the last day. When its windy, the waves churn up the fine sand and the visibility is less than 1 foot so no snorkling even if you were willing to go into the water. We rented a car for one day for $82 across the st. at Andys (cheaper than Avis in the hotel) out of sheer boredom. We drove to Cementary Beach which is an excellent snorkeling spot. The land blocks the wind so you can snorkel even if its it bad at the Marriott. The Marriott has one of the best spots for snorkeling if its not windy. The best prices for souvenirs was at the Turtle Farm. We had lunch at the Cracked Counch (one block north of Turtle Farm - you can take the bus there). The buses are excellent, we just stood at the bus spot and a bus stopped withing a minute. Everyone on the bus helps you out. The island seemed very safe to me. We used the bus the following days.
The Marriott was a nice hotel with refrigerator and safe. The staff were always excellent and accomodated every need. The beds were good but not US Marriott standards. Every room has a balcony. We had a room facing the inside courtyard which blocks the wind and was really nice.
A friend of mine told me about the all you can eat lobsters at Deckers on Tuesday night for $50 CI. There were huge lobster tails but they were all broiled the same way. The All you can eat lobster night at the Marriot had lobster prepared a variety of ways for the same price (there is a coupon). We ate the buffet breakfast every morning at the Marriot (around $20 CI person with service charge). The omelettes were great and fruit was good, Oatmeal, etc. We ate late and skipped lunch. The Aqua Grill right across the St. was good, we used the free drink coupon (but is only if you order from last page of menu). We really liked Fidel Murphys Irish Pub 4 blocks to the right. We spend on $45 CI one night for dinner with drinks. The mixed grill is good for $16.
The Currency is very annoying. At Aruba, the Florin is tied to the dollar so you can use either without penalty, In Cayman, its 1.20 for a dollar. So everyone uplifts the prices 25% in US Dollars (this is what makes the island expensive). When you charge the restaurants always charge in the uplifted US dollars. My AMEX card did not charge a fee for the charge (not sure about other cards). The hotel give you $16 CA for $20 US (25%). I was unsure of this until i got home. I used the ATM machine in the mall behind the Texaco and one downtown. It did not warn you what the fee would be so I was nervous. However, when I got home there was no fee for the ATM withdrawal and they did the 20% uplift (100 CA is $120 US). So the best way to handle money is withdraw from the ATM.
The Tortula liquor store has no prices marked. Everything is expensive. I almost bought a shirt but they uplifted the price at the register.
The 7 mile beach has a half dozen hotels and is primarily Condos/Timeshares for rent. The tourist spots and public beaches can get crazy when busloads of Cruise people show up. No cruise people at the Marriott beach.
I guess labor is cheaper on other islands. In barbados, I was in a all inclusive that had a different local band each night No live entertainment at the Marriott or Aqua grill. In Aruba, you can rent a car for half the price.
The highlight of my trip was the last boat on my last day on Captain Marvin's. Someone told me it was $30 US for 2 hour and they would pick me up from the hotel. I called them from my room ($3 us, the local call to the airline was $5). They were great, We took a speed boat with only 9 people on board (they have a few of them).
We stopped at the Coral Garden (really beautiful) and Stingray City, an experience of a lifetime. We were the last boat so all the stingrays came over to us. Other outfits have boats that handle hundreds of people from Cruise ships. The hotel was $60 CI for a longer trip but 2 hours was fine for me. I strongly agree with everyone that Captain Marvin's is the best choice. The Captain is 91 and poses for pictures.
In summary, the hotel was fine but I had a much better time in Aruba (3 times), Barbados and Paradise Island. I would not come back to this island. No gambling, not much night life. Snorkeling is excellent if you have the weather.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Love_TravelNewYork

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,485)
  • Polish first
usa
Reviewed 14 January 2010

We absolutely loved the Caymans. Family friendly, beautiful people, safe and clean. There are 15 of us that travel every year over the Christmas Holiday the ages of our group range from 6 months to 78 years old. The Marriott was smaller that we had expected, but we were pleasantly surprised with the service and intimacy this brought. The pool was clean and about the size of an apartment complex pool. The hotel itself is only 5 floors tall. This is the norm for all of the ocean front resorts on the island. The cabana staff is excellent. Caleb helped me prepare our spot every morning complete with towels, unbrellas, chair covers and even a play pen for our six month old. The pool is three steps away from the beach and the beach is around 20 feet deep and obviously seven miles long. It was just right! We could be on the pool deck and still be able to watch our older kids playing on the beach or vise versa. They have tons of chairs and umbrellas on the beach and there is room for everyone.
The beach itself is beautiful, lots of coral washes up from the reef off shore, so if you have tender toes I would recommend bringing swim shoes or some Keens. The water is very calm, we are from Nebraska and are not ocean swimmers and we felt safe and able to navigate the waters just swimmingly! Bring your snorkles, goggles and flippers you can rent them from the hotel for $16 (CI) per day, but we bought ours at walmart before we left for $12 (American Money) and used them everyday. You can walk out to the artificial reef it is about 15 feet from the shore and you will see some little fish. I would recommend Captain Marvin's tours which picks you up at the hotel and takes you about 20 minutes to the North side of the island on a snorkeling/stingray city tour for only $40 (CI) per person. The hotel offers the stingray city tour without snorkeling stops for $60 (CI) per person. Captain Marvins is awesome from the crew on the boat to the shuttle drivers you will receive an amazing island experience.

Food is really expensive at the hotel and on the island. If you can purchase the all inclusive option I would recommend it. The food at the hotel restaurants is okay, and there are some great restaurants within walking distance of the hotel. We ate breakfast every morning at Coconut Joe's directly across the street. They are open for all three meals and drinks. We either walked to Wendy's for a burger or ordered Pizza from Pizza hut for lunch around the pool ( as did 90% of the people at the hotel ) no one seemed to mind that we brought in our own food. We also brought a cooler for drinks for the kids. Lots of people on the beach had coolers and cases of beer that they bought at the grocery store about 2 miles south of the hotel.

The fitness center at the hotel leaves a lot to be desired. I would suggest running on the beach or Harbor drive. The room the equipment is maybe 10 x 12 and hot and stuffy.

We went into Georgetown the shopping district on a Tuesday night and ate at the Hard Rock Cafe which we have done on every vacation every where we go and I have never been at a better Hard Rock. Our server Tina was outstanding and keep in mind there are 14 of us! The food was great and fast. The island moves very slow and be prepared even if you have kids they don't hurry up the food. So this was a great place for us.
Tina also checked the cruise ship schedule for us so we knew what days to come back and shop. The ships don't come to port on Fridays and Saturdays during the normal season. There can be as many as 6 ships in port which makes Georgetown overcrowed and not fun! We also ate at Margarittaville in Georetown and it was okay.

Across from the Westin was a place called EATS. They have a huge menu, serve brkfast, lunch and dinner and have a sushi restaraunt and a lounge attached to them. We ate there twice the food was good and resonably priced and the Manager was from Las Vegas so the service was quick.

Our favorite place was the "Warf" it is located about 3/4 of a mile from the hotel and it is the best atmosphere and service on the island. On Tuesday nights they have salsa lessons with a DJ and the kids had a blast. Every night at 9pm they feed these giant fish called tarpons all the scraps from the night. They even let the kids feed them it is awesome.

We went horseback riding on the beach and over on the north side of the island we used Pampered Ponies and they pick you up at the hotel and take you to there ranch. It was neat, they also have a package where your horse will swim with you in the water it is unreal.

Our only unpleasant experience on the island was on New Years Eve at Dolce Vita on italian restaurant within walking distance from the hotel. We had made reservations for 6pm and the place was empty. I don't know where the server and owner we from but they could not understand us and we could NOT understand them. Our orders were messed up and the server was rude about fixing the problems, when he bought my 5 year old her pasta with butter which he had initially had brought out with red sauce he told she she be thankful he did that for her. The food is similar to the olive garden. Not very good. We had asked if they had ice cream for the kids for dessert and they said of course and told us the toppings they had available. We ordered the 6 kids their ice cream and 5 adults decided to have dessert too. We waited 45 minutes and had to ask another server where our desserts were. He quickly brought them out except for the 6 ice creams for the kids. We waited another 15 minutes and yet another server let us know the were all out of ice cream. Needless to say we had 6 very upset children. I went to the owner who was a crabby old lady and asked her to take off all of the desserts since we had only ordered them b/c the kids were going to have dessert. She said NO! didn't appologize for the service, the wait or any of the mistakes. We paid the $435.00 bill for dinner but not the 18% gratuity added to our bill and proceeded to let everyone know what a crumby place it was.

Other than that unpleasnt encounter the Grand Cayman Marriott and the island itself are the best vacation we have been on. Just plan on spending alot of money on things like food, water, gas and drinks. The American dollar is only worth 80 cents to the Cayman Dollar (CI). So ma sure you ask if the price is CI or not. If you smoke bring your own cigs b/c the price per pack on the island went up to $10 (CI). It seems like everyone on the island smokes but a new law just went into affect there is no longer smoking inside restaurants and the Marriott rooms are all smoke free. There are designated smoking areas around the hotel including in the turtle lagoon.

Things to pack:
Bug spray (there are lots of mosquitos and all of the dinners are outside)
Tons of Sunscreen
Sweater for the night time
Cooler
snorkeling gear
water shoes
if you have room in your luggage snacks for the kids

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
7 Thank momof3usa
Collierville, Tennessee
Reviewed 4 January 2010

I had read the reviews prior to making our reservation and was concerned about the comfort and noise level. It was sheer pleasure from the moment we landed at the airport to arriving at the hotel and greeted with drinks. Our adult son traveled with us (separate room, separate floor). We ate in for breakfast and dinner some of the time and the food was really delicious. We thoroughly enjoyed the salads and sandwiches served to us on the beach for lunch. Oh and of course the drinks also were nice delivered right to us on the beach. We did walk to The Reef Grill the food and service was just awesome. And we took a cab to the Lobster Pot and it was also great.
We will stay here again... until we buy a place on the beach.

wisconsin
Reviewed 17 December 2009

If you ever have the opportunity to travel to the Cayman Islands this is your place to stay. The Marriott Beach Resort is such a charming place to stay. It's not too big but not small by all means and the staff is friendly and great. The rooms were very spacious and the various restaurants on the site are excellent. My husband and I did the all inclusive which made the trip a breeze. When it was all said and done our checkout amount was $70. Well worth the upfront cost to have such a low cost trip.
The location of the resort is perfect as well. Take a walk up seven mile beach and look at all the various condos, homes and resorts. We did that every day and felt we were in paradise. I can't wait to go back and I would highly recommend and would stay at the Marriott again.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 15 December 2009

My husband and I stayed in this hotel for a week in November and found on the whole that the hotel was very good.
However there were a few things that niggled us namely:-
1. While drinking at the pool bar we were told that we could not have glass. I totally supported this safety aspect of this rule but there really was no alternative to drink. In the main hotel the lobby bar was as my husband put it was "A Library with no books" and for me was freezing cold - the air con was pumped up way too high. The outside space just outside the lobby bar was for smokers so the only alternative. We were understandably upset when they wanted to put our expensive wine in a plastic glass. However there were some bartenders who kindly agreed to serve us in proper glasses.
2. On checking out we were charged 3 times for wifi. My husband at the time did not query it. I have a laptop as did my husband and I had an iphone. Every time we entered the room number we were charged for each different piece of apparatus.
3. There is construction going on at the hotel at this time of year, but we knew this prior to booking so that was understandable.
4. When we arrived we had breakfast in the restaurant outside the hotel overlooking the water but half way through the week we were moved to a renovated restaurant in the hotel which again was freezing and not as pleasant as the outside restaurant.
5. Marriott asked us to fill in the Customer Survey but haven't even bothered to reply to that either despite bringing these issues to their attention!
Our room was kept clean and tidy and we had no problems with any of the staff who were always very courteous.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jane F
delaware
Reviewed 10 December 2009

Our room - an oceanfront junior suite on the fifth floor with a completely private balcony - was superb. The views were absolutely fantastic from the sunrise reflected on the puffy morning clouds over the water to gorgeous sunsets to even a full moon and star filled skies. Even though the turtle and iguana filled courtyard is very lovely, I would definitely recommend upgrading to an oceanfront or ocean view room for your stay. The hotel staff could not have been more attentive, helpful and thorough -- thank you again to the bellhops, concierge, front desk personnel, bartenders, waiters and waitresses at the restaurants and on the beach, the beach umbrella man :-), and the lovely ladies who took care of our room! You anticipated our needs and took care of our requests with such professionalism and upbeat attitudes.
We snorkeled almost every day - the snorkeling in front of the Marriott was pretty good especially on the first two days when the water was very calm; the Cemetery Beach reef is quite good with a wider variety of fish and coral gardens; but the very best and truly outstanding snorkeling experiences were the two stops we made on Captain Marvin's excursion to Stingray City. Both gave you the feeling of swimming in an aquarium with hundreds of fish of all sizes, shapes, colors, and patterns - plus the sea fans and lovely coral formations - it was fantastic! And of course the third stop on the trip was the visit to Stingray City which you HAVE to do when you are in Grand Cayman! And definitely take the trip with Captain Marvin's crew - for only $40 US we were part of a very small group (approx. 15 people), visited the 2 snorkel sites plus Stingray City where we got in the water with the velvety stingrays, fed them squid, held them and had our pictures taken by one of the crew members.
As far as getting around - we walked the beach daily and ate dinner at the Reef Grill on the beach one night. We also walked to Cimboco's almost every day for breakfast and free wifi, plus had dinners at Chicken, Chicken and Dolce Vita, and one breakfast at Coconut Joe's - all within walking distance. We rented a car for two days through Avis at the hotel and explored the West Bay area one day with a great lunch at the Calypso Grill, and the East End area the next day, starting in George Town with breakfast at Breezes and circling all the way around to Rum Point, with lunch at the Lighthouse Restaurant on the way over.
Back at the hotel we enjoyed the all-you-can-eat lobster dinner one night at Solano's and the barbecue on the beach another night. I'll review all the restaurants separately.
It was truly a week in paradise and we can't wait to go back again!

6 Thank travelingterps
Cuba City, WI
Reviewed 4 December 2009

Everything is just what you want here! Great Bell Staff, Front Desk, Servers, and Bartenders. You will not find 1 employee who doesn't want to work here. WOW THE BEACH! Try the Banana Mudslides! They are great. I had one everyday! The entire place had been remodeled and is still going on. Don't worry they go out of there way not to be in your way or a inconvience to you at all times. This was one of the best places we have ever stayed. And we travel quite a bit. The only one person that was not pleasant was the people who worked at the AVIS desk in the hotel lobby. But the are not hotel employees. THIS WAS A GREAT PLACE TO STAY! I recommend everyone stay here. We got our breakfast included in our package and I am glad we did. eating out is very expensive. LOVE THE GRAND CAYMANS! Also get a massage they were great!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple