“It's really not a bad hotel!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
NJ
“It's really not a bad hotel!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2010

Just got back from a 5 night stay at the Marriott. We used points for the room and purchased the all-inclusive with points also. So, we can start off by saying that this room and the meals cost us NOTHING. The all-inclusive portion covers all non-alcoholic beverages and some of the alcoholic stuff (margaritas, daiquaris, Cayman lemonade, and the like). If you're looking for Grey Goose in your drinks, you won't get that with the all-inclusive! The meals were 3 meals per day - breakfast, lunch, dinner. No snacks during the day, so plan your meal times wisely. A family of four (2 adults, a 12-year-old and 9-year old) can expect breakfast to be about $60, lunch about $100 and dinner to be upwards of $200. Most nights, our dinners were closer to $300 and one night topped off at $400+ (that's with one child eating off the kids menu and the other eating off the regular menu). Needless to say, everything I was told about food costs being high was true!

The food overall wasn't that bad. Have I had better? Sure. Have I had much worse? Oh yeah! If you put it in perspective, you have to remember that you're eating at a hotel on an island in the Caribbean. Tavern on the Green you're not at, so don't expect to get that level of gourmet food. We did the breakfast buffet everyday. They had some dry cereal, lots of fresh fruit, numerous types of breads & danish (all were very fresh), cook-to-order items like waffles & omlets, and all the usual buffet stuff like powdered scrambled eggs, pancakes, french toast, bacon, sausage & home fries. The did have bagels, but the conditions there make for a strange bagel! For the most part, the dining room staff at breakfast was less than friendly. It seemed like more than half of the staff wanted to be anywhere else but in that location! Lunch we ate on the beach or pretty darn close to the beach. They had a club sandwich, fish sandwiches, burgers, salads. Those were not bad. The service outside was pretty good, although the wait staff does run around alot looking for the people who placed orders and then moved locations! Now, dinner was a different story. We ate at the Solana restaurant 4 nights. Our server, Robin, was fantastic! He recommended items every night, he made sure our drinks were filled when they were close to the bottem, he spoke with us & anyone else in his area like we were old friends. He remembered how we liked our drinks the night before and made sure it was the way we wanted it. It was like almost like your waiter/waitress on a cruise ship. He genuinely wanted to make our stay great and he was very good at it! The food at Solana was mostly seafood with some lamb, steak and a chicken dish thrown in. The portions were very large, everything was cooked and we never had to send anything back to the kitchen.

As for the hotel itself, it was pretty nice. We have stayed at other Marriotts in the Caribbean and I have to say, this was much nicer. We checked in early and were told that we were getting a room upgrade. Sadly, we were upgraded to the room that we booked, so I don't get what the upgrade was! I was a little disturbed because my husband stays in Marriott properties throughout the US & Caribbean 40 weeks a year, and the only upgrade he could get was the same room he booked? It really didn't make sense to me, but I was on vacation, so whatever. The front desk staff was very pleasant, as were the bellmen. We checked in and went to our room, a courtyard view double, which was clean and ready for us. There were plenty of towels and tons of shampoo, conditioner & soap. The drains in the bathroom all worked correctly, with no standing water in the sink or the bath! The shower curtain actually worked and the water stayed in the bath, as opposed to spraying out the sides all over the floor! The three negatives I had about the room were - the sliding glass doors are VERY difficult to open,the walls are paper thin & the mattresses were very uncomfortable! There were a few times when I was stuck out on the balcony because there was no way to get a grip on the door handle to open it! As for the walls, I could hear the people next door! I spent the better part of 90 minutes one night listening to the child nextdoor cry and the father try to get this kid to stop. I get that kids cry loudly, but I don't want to hear it like they're standing next to me! I could hear them opening the drawers on the furniture - that's how thin the walls are!

The pool is pretty small, so if you're not an ocean person and you want a pool seat, get outside by 7am with your towel! The beach is a good size and had plenty of lounge chairs, tables & umbrellas. They have staff out on the beach to handle your chair and umbrella needs. Please tip those guys! I saw alot of people ask for 3+ lounge chairs to be dragged across the beach and 2 umbrellas put up and they didn't tip! Even if you give them a couple of dollars, it's better than nothing! A couple of words about staying during Spring Break - there are alot of kids around and I'm guessing the parents vacationed somewhere else because most of those kids had no supervision at all! Those kids were smacking each other with pool floats, pushing each other into the pool, throwing buckets of water at each other and diving in the hot tub. If you're a parent taking kids on a trip, do the other vacationers a favor and watch your kids! You're vacationing from work, to parenthood!!! The towel situation was unusual. There are 2 kinds of towels - one that goes over the back of the lounge chair and the regular kind of towel. Around 2pm everyday, they would run out of towels. I would ask for new towels and be told to come back in 5-10 minutes, then see the same towel guy walk out and hand towels to people by the pool. I would then go back and ask for towels, only to be told that they were out, come back in 5-10 minutes. Maybe I was supposed to tip the guy who hands you a towel from behind a counter?

I would go back to this hotel in the future. My kids enjoyed it. My husband enjoyed it and I enjoyed it.

6 Thank stormycatNJ

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,443)
  • Polish first
Bucks County, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2010

Just returned from a brief two night stay prior to Easter weekend....and booked it using my Marriott Reward points back in November.
Plusses: They have done a nice job with this property especially the "public areas" inside. A small but nice bar. Two flat panel TV's you can eat and drink in front of. Complimentary (unsupervised kids will abuse it) use of three PC's in the reception area -- that's a nice touch other hotels don't offer ! Staff were very accommodating and polite.

Minus: Pool is small and beach is somewhat narrow as compared to properties further down 7-mile beach. You have to "claim" your lounge chairs early in the AM. It's a drag, but if you want to be pampered......you can shell out $ 700 to a Grand per night at the Ritz down the beach. Be my guest.

Still...this is our second stay at this Marriott in ten years. Had heard that it went a bit downhill for awhile.....not anymore. I would highly recommend it to families.....and would stay there again..

I read a lot of complaints about how expensive Gr Cayman is.....I suppose so. Be ready for it.....or stick with Ocean City, NJ or MD. It is what it is.... and the nice thing about the Marriott is you have affordable eating options close by.

4 Thank Nutinpa
Aberdeen, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2010

My husband and I just returned from a one week stay at the Marriott Grand Cayman Beach Resort. We booked this trip as an all-inclusive package from Newark, NJ using Cheap Carribean.com. Although I am a Marriott Rewards member, I did not use any points for this stay; so I do not think I received any special treatment.

When I found out that this Marriott was offering an all-inclusive package (inlcuidng anything we wanted to eat at any of their restaurants, and a very good assortment of drinks amde with top-shelf liquors), I jumped at the chance. My husband and I have travelled extensively, having been to six out of seven continents and most Carribean islands. However, we had never gone to Grand Cayman before because I knew it was extremely overpriced. So the opportunity to buy an all-inclusive package was really an enticement for both of us, and we jumped at the chance.

We arrived at the hotel (which is a mere 10 mintues drive from the airport!) at approximately 12:30pm. I had packed our bathing suits in our carry-ons because I never expected our room to be reaady. But lo and behold - our room was ready for us to check-ini immediately. We were greeted entusiastically by the bell staff, and immediately given cold fruit punch, while we waited for the check-in to be completed. And although the hotel was sold out, our room was ready. I might add that everyone at the reservation desk was prompt, courteous and seemed genuinely glad to see us. All paperwork was OK, and we were given a list of dining times for all of the resort restaurants.

The bell staff accompanied us up to our room. Conviently, it was located on the second floor, towards the front of the building. This was great, since we didn't need to wait for the elvator (this hotel has 5 floors), and we were close to the beach. we had an outside room, which meant we could easily see the ocean from our private balcony. (Note that courtyard rooms are INTERIOR rooms and face a turtle lagoon; these rooms do not have any water view. So anyone complainging that their room had no view was probably staying in a courtyard room.) The A/C worked VERY well; in fact the room was ICE cold. And we has a king-size bed, desk/chair; setee; and plenty of room to walk. There was also a large closet, repleat with iron, robes, and slippers.

The bathroom was extremely large. Marble vaities, plenty of outlets, lots of lighting, and a brand new tub. There were ALWAYS more than enough towels in our room. And although this hotel participants in a GREEN program, a towel person delivered fresh towels to use each night at 7pm (should we need them). I can honestly say that I was more than pleased with our room, and I would rate it on par with an ocean view room at the HYATT REGENCY GRAND in Kauai (which is a very spectacular resort).

The room was made up promptly each mroning; I usually never ever saw the maids. The room was always spotless and smelled clean. Sheets were changed upon request, and the room was turned down nightly (inlcuding chocolate on the pillows). In addiiton, the newspaper was delivered early each morning; all of these services were provided without asking.

I should also mention that the maintenance staff at this resort NEVER sleeps. They were always working on some project or another, without interfering with the guests comfort. While we were there: the hallways were painted; a new showerhead for rinsing off the sand at the beach was installed; the turtle lagoon was emptied and cleaned; etc. etc. It is non-stop repair, upkeep, and PPRIDE in the resort. Yet there was no noise, smells, or any indication that work was being done. The staff was extremely competent, and adressed all needs immediately.

As a specific example, one night, our room smoke alarm went off. Of course this staartled my husband and I, and this is a non-smoking resort. So obviously the unit was defective. Well, we never called the front desk; they called us immediately. So obviously, the hotel has a 24hr monitiring system. And it works! Our smoke detector was repaired- while we were at dinner the same evening- without any intrusion to us.

The food at this hotel was without a doubt, THE BEST WE HAVE EVER EATEN AT ANY ALL-INCLUSIVE RESORT. I think most people are appalled at the prices on the menus. But I think most people are also unaware how very expensive the Cayman Islands truly are. SO when you see what you get at the MArriott, and the quality of the food, you can appreciate how great a value this hotel really is. Again, when I say you can eat ANYTHING you want on any menu in every restaurant, I am not kidding. We were NEVER even charged a surcharge for odering outrageous things (such as surf and turf).

Some examples of dining experiences we had:
-Breakfast included either a buffet (with cooked to order egg dishes) or anything off the menu. In reality, the buffet was a steal at $20 per person, since it included all the fresh furit juice, coffee, milk and tea you wanted. Certainly much less than comparable resorts in Hawaii, Tahiti, even NYC.
-Lunch was a choice of anything on the menu at any of the available restaurants, including a beach-side gourmet restaurant; a beach table restaurant; or the lobby bar. And if you were TRULY lazy, you could just stay on your lounge chair and wait for someone to bring your lunch to you. Again, all of this is INCLUDED in the all-inclusive program; you don't even need to tip!
-Dinner was ANYTHING on ANY menu in the resort. Whether it be a burger at the beachside restaurant; a gourmet meal at the SOLANA beach restaurant; an Italian meal (complete with italian desserts and cappucino) at the Italian resatutant; or a very nice steak dinner in the bar. And we never had to pay a surcharge (whether we ordered rack of lamb; lobster; or sirloin).

The resort does host several "theme" nights. They were in addiition to our meal plan because they included entertainment, etc. But they were well worth the extra money. On Wednesday night, the resort hosts an all you can eat Lobster Extravaganza. Anything you can think of that is made with lobster, is on this menu. And you can order as much of any meal as you want. In other words, if you want 10 lobster tails, you can have them! I don't know of any other place that does something like this. My husband and I truly gorged ourselves, on things such as lobster salad; lobster curry with basmati rice; surf and turf; lobster tetrazini, you get the idea. And all of this only cost us an addiiotnal $25 per person. AMAZING considering where you are.

Some other websites state that there is construction going on around the reosrt. Well, if there is, it must be finished. The ultra-luxury condos being built right next door to the Marriott are complete and being occupied. We NEVER heard any noise, smelled and paint or chemicals, etc. from this building. So if you read another website, and they note construction is in progress, it has been coompleted.

Also, it is obvious that this resort has just undergone a TREMENDOUS EXPENSIVE facelift. The beach is plenty big for the size of the hotel; it can accomodate up to 5 rows of beach lounge chairs And the hotel NEVER EVER ran out of towles during out entire stay, even though it was sold out all week. In addiiotn, there are MORE THAN ENOUGH beach umbrellas for everyone who was sitting on the sand; some families haaad 2, even 3 beach umbrella.

Now I feel I should talk about the beach itself, since this is a beach resort. The hotel has built an artifical reef direclty in front (maybe about 20 feet out) in about 3-4 feet of water. So there are always plenty of fish right in front of this hotel. Great for snorkelling. And the water is CRYSTAL CLEAR WITHOUT ANY WAVES. You almost don't need to snorkel; you can walk right up to the fish. The beach has probably been replenished, as this is possibly the softest sand I have walked on. There are no chells, coral, pebbles, or iron shore anywhere near this hotel.

When you walk past the pool to the beach, resort staff will meet you at the sand and ask you where you want to sit. Then a man with a drill, brings over a beach umbrella, and DRILLS it into the sand for you. How's that for service?! And this happens EVERY DAY.

I also think the hotel staff goes out of it's way to make you comfortable: the bar staff will remember your room number, even your favorite drink, and keep it coming; and you can leave your tab open all day. And the waitstaff was amazing; they ran all day long to rpovide guests with food and drinks on the beach. I can honestly say the servie here waaaas exceptional and far better than any SANDALS resort I have stayed.

I think what separates this hotel from the rest is that the employees are trained in guest comfort and safety first; all employees made us feel safe, respected, and comfortable. And they seem truly glad that we chose their hotel. when my husband left his eyeglasses at dinner one evening, the waiter BROUGHT them up to the room for us; we did not even have to go back down to the restaurant.

Again, I think it is a matter of pride in ownership at this resort. All employees seemded happy to be working here, and happy to see us at their hotel. The mamnger of each restaurant came to speak with us each evening after dinner, to see how our meal was (and what could be doen to make it better.) This is not a resort where they "take your money and run". This is a resort which wants to succeed, and to keep it's clients happy. That is a rare find.

I guess the only possible "down" side to the entire vacation is that there really isn't any entertainment at this hotel. But who cares? You are only 2mi from downtown, and the bus stops right in front of the Marriott. So if you wnat to go to HArd Rock, Carlos n Charlies, or nay place like that, you can. But if non-stop entertainment is your ideal, maybe you shouldn't even go to Grand Cayman for vacation. This entire island is very small, laid back, and does not have very much activity at night. This is not Jamaica or the Bahamas. And if you keep that in mind, you will have a wonderful trip. (But this really doesn't have anything to do with the Marriott itself)

I would recommend this hotel in a heartbeat to anyone who wants a relaxing, all-inclusive experience on this extremely pricey island.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank lbog
texas,usa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2010

While reading reviews of this hotel I ran across one that caught my interest, it said marriots tried to stick 4 people in 1 king bed, thinking back to when I made my reservation it said 1 king OR 2 double, I made reservations for 2 adults 1 14 yr old so assumed 1 room 2 beds was obvious! Called marriots and shame on me it isn't obvious, cannot guarantee me double beds 4 months in advance and cannot change or cancel either! Please when making plans do NOT assume common sense prevails, I will not know I we have a bed or not until check in and they will NOT help!

6 Thank tex2s
Western Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2010

There's a lot to recommend the Marriott on Seven Mile Beach. It does have a lovely location and the staff were very friendly and helpful. It's not a particularly luxurious hotel (and we've stayed at other Marriotts that I think were nicer) and the food is only OK - not bad, but nothing to make you choose to eat there.

There were a number of little snafus and service slip ups during our one week stay. Always taken care of with lots of apologies for lateness, mistakes, etc., but I think if things were run a little better most of the problems could have been avoided.

We arrived around 4:30 pm but our room wasn't ready. They said it'd be half an hour. We arranged to have them take our bags and we went to the beach front cafe to have a small meal while we waited (as we hadn't really had lunch). The waitress called around 5:30 to see if our room was ready (so she could charge our food; she volunteered to do this which I thought was very nice). It wasn't. At 6pm my husband went to talk to them - it'd be ready in 15 minutes. Some time after 6:30 the room was ready - the longest half hour :)

They sent us some ice cream to say "sorry" - which the kids loved. However even after such a long wait there was no soap for the sink (only the tub), only 3 towels not 4 - nothing big, but throughout the week there were lots of little forgotten things like this. If I called they were always very nice and sent someone over with whatever it was.

We had breakfast at the hotel once or twice - a buffet that was OK but pricey. We rented a car so it worked out better to walk across the street to Coconut Joe's or drive to Eats or Icoa for breakfast. It was also cheaper.

We had a couple of meals by the pool - again, the food was OK but pricey. The service people were all very nice and friendly and I liked the trays of smoothie samples they brought around.

The pool area is a bit small given the size of the hotel and both it and the beach area were pretty packed with chairs most of the time. Compared to other Caribbean resorts there was less of an effort to keep the property spotless (leaves, straws, napkins that blew away, etc.).

The people at the towel place were bizarre - they ran out of towels late one afternoon and suggested that they couldn't give us any as they'd be closing up in about 45 minutes. My husband firmly said he'd like them to get us towels (which they did), but he shouldn't have had to insist. Another day they were out of towels and said it'd be 15 minutes or so before they had some more. About 5 minutes later we saw them give towels to someone else. We went to ask how come, and after some back and forth where they said they didn't have any (which they clearly did), they said we could have two (we asked for four). I think they were hoarding them for reasons I can't begin to explain.

The room was pretty basic (a courtyard view) - two double beds a desk and chair. There were no pay per view movies but you could hook up your own DVD player to the TV. The location of our room was not good - ground floor in a dark corner right next to the lobby area. We didn't spend much time in the room, but ambiance was zero.

Parking is free - great. Internet access is wireless (which means you can't use one of the mini WiFi routers to get access for iPhones as well as a laptop). We paid the $71 for a week of access and weren't about to pay another $71 each for two iPhones. There was no free WiFi anywhere in the hotel. Perhaps at some point hotels will stop gouging with internet charges (we pay about $35 a month at home so $71 a week is a ripoff).

We had a great trip but I doubt I'd stay at the Marriott again.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
Marina del Rey, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2010

We really enjoyed staying at the marriott. We booked about 7 months out and unfortunately our rooms weren't that great. We had a view of the hotel next door. However, despite that everything else was very nice. The hotel had a nice beach area and a beautiful garden courtyard with neat green iguanas and turtles hanging out. We went between Christmas and New Year's which is high season. The weather was fabulous! Hot and 85 all day and night. The whole East Coast of the US including Florida was freezing and we were boiling hot! Definitely the best year to pick a Cayman Islands Holiday Season. We had breakfast every day at the hotel which was good and we even did some of the hotel dinners at night. We would take long walks on the beach every morning which was just wonderful. We got massages at the hotel in the spa area which was really nice. Also, the people of the Cayman Islands are really some of the nicest people I have met.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
NYC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2010

Don't even bother coming here. From the management to the receptionists, there is a consistent attitude that it they are doing YOU a favor by letting you pay them money to stay at their hotel. And far from what one would expect from the Marriott brand, they even tried to scam us!

Showed up with my wife and 2 very tired children (5 and 7) with a print-out copy of a reservation of a room with two double beds. Somehow, they screwed up the reservation and tried to give us a room with one bed (for 2 adults and 2 children!) as the double bed rooms were "booked." After speaking with the manager - a conversation which involved Marriott not taking one ouce of fault despite a WRITTEN reservation from travelocity to the contrary - her best resolution was to book us in two nonadjacent king rooms and give us a "deal" on the second room.

Seriously?

Long story short, after hours of broken promises, misrepresentations, and child meltdowns in the lobby, we finally settled on a king bed with a sofa bed and rollout bed (which, despite multiple promises from multiple people, never came until our 5th try to get!).

And to top it off, the food is well below mediocre and overpriced.

Despair ye all who enter here...

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family