“Most relaxing vacation!”

Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 10 May 2010

This is an excellent hotel for a relaxing vacation. We visited in August of 2009, and are returning in July 2010. The property itself is very nice. The lobby is "locale appropriate" in terms of furniture and decor. It is very clean and well maintained. The hallways were somewhat worn, and there was a fair amount of sand and water tracked in from the beach. This is to be expected, and was not a problem. The rooms themselves have been recently renovated and have typical Marriott furnishings, linens, etc. (which is good). The grounds are only average for a Marriott resort. When we were there the shallow pools in the garden were dirty, and water from them ran across the walkway. The landscaping was typical tropical and appealing, but nothing special.

The beach itself is very nice. There was generally lots of room, but if you want a chair close to the water you need to get out by 8:00am or you will be closer to the back row. The restaurant will take food and drink orders and deliver to your chair. We did find that the hotel did not do a very good job of cleaning up after careless visitors who left food, cups and lots of cigarette butts on the sand. By the end of the day we had to be careful where we stepped. There was some effort to clean up in the morning, but it was far from spotless.

The single best feature of this hotel is the artificial coral reefs in the water directly in front of the hotel. The snorkeling is simply incredible. Fins, a mask and a snorkel cost $15 a day, and you can keep them for your entire stay. This is a must! Once in the water, just poke your head under and you will be amazed. Fish of all sizes, shapes and colors abound! We spent hours just floating and being entertained.

There is a pool, but we cannot comment on that as we spent all of our water/tanning time on the beach.

There is a single restaurant in the hotel, and a moderate sized bar. The food was good but not great and was expensive. This was not a problem, as there are lots of better options nearby.

The staff was very friendly and helpful (with the exception of one person who, unfortunately, worked both at the front desk and as a concierge). Marriott staff in general seem to be genuinely friendly, and that held true here.

Overall this was a very relaxing hotel. It is not a luxury property, but is certainly towards the higher end. We had everything we needed for a wonderful experience. Although we travelled without kids, there were a lot of families. The hotel seemed well suited for those travelling with children.

We highly recommend this hotel, and can't wait for our return trip!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MainePeter
Write a ReviewReviews (5,523)

Reviewed 5 May 2010

I get that most people seem to be a bit disappointed the Marriott Grand Cayman Beach Resort isn’t as luxurious as some other properties, but the reality is, it’s a Marriott and not the Ritz-Carlton. I believe they do try and it does have a lot more than most Marriott’s (c’mon, it’s on Seven Mile Beach). It’s clean, great location and I found the staff to be wonderful.

The property does have parking, but I’m guessing during the busy season it may be rather tough to find a parking spot as the lot isn’t huge. Remember, it’s a Caribbean island and everything is on a much smaller scale than in the U.S. The front desk is a bit small and most times I only saw two people working at a time, but they seemed to get through everyone as quickly as possible. The room was a decent size and clean. I didn’t have a direct view of the ocean, but I could see it from the balcony. The housecleaning staff did a fairly good job at cleaning my room each day, but I did notice they were not as detailed as staff at other resorts I’ve stayed at. Everyone at the Marriott was nothing but friendly and even checked in with me on a regular basis to ensure I was having a good time.

The beach area was beautiful and the staff working the beach appeared to be on top of everything. If you wanted an umbrella they got you one, if you wanted a drink or a bite to eat, they made sure they got you what ever it is you wanted. Truly professional. It’s true the area is a bit smaller than other resorts and I imagine it could be a hassle during busier times of the year, but I didn’t find it to be too claustrophobic at all. It’s also true the pool is a bit small, but you’re on a beautiful Caribbean island with white, sandy beaches – why would you want to sit by the pool? JMHO.

I’m someone who likes to do a lot of sight seeing and there’s not much of that on Grand Cayman, and it’s unlikely I’d return, but I’d recommend the Marriott in a heart beat. If you have tons of money to blow then sure, stay at the Ritz-Carlton, but if you’re looking for a decent hotel to take care of your needs and you’d rather spend your money on other things, then I think the Marriott fits the bill.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank NJdudette
Reviewed 2 May 2010

Marriott helped to make our vacation on Grand Cayman perfect. Starting at check-in we were greeted by the friendliest, most helpful hotel staff members. When we got to the check-in desk at 1:30 we were greeted by no line, cold drinks, and helpful staff. Even though we arrived at the hotel well before check-in, we found that our room was ready. We booked a partial ocean-view room, and were pleasently surprised when we were given a room on the second floor, directly facing the ocean. We did have a direct view of the beach bar, which could be why they classified the room as "partial" ocean view, but that didn't matter. The bar wasn't open late and we were rarely in our room during the day.
Before going on our trip we had read a lot about how "small" the beach was and how people seemed crammed on top of each other on the beach. Well, we did not experience that AT ALL. The beach was plenty wide, and there were plenty of chairs and umbrellas readily available. The pool area was a little small, but who wants to sit around a pool and swim in a pool when you can sit by and swim in the beautiful ocean? There was very good snorkeling right in front of the Marriott. Highly recommend buying and bringing your own snorkel gear. You have to pay $15 a day to rent it from the Marriott, but you can buy it at Dick's Sporting Goods or Sam's Club for like $50. We were very thankful we had our own snorkel gear because we could do it every day whenever we wanted.
We had lunch once on the beach at the Marriott, but it is somewhat expensive and the menu is a little limited. For lunch I would recommend walking to Billy Bones, which is a 5 minute walk, behind Treasure Island Resort, or Stingers, which is behind the Comfort Suites next door. Their menus are a bit more extensive so you have more options.
For breakfast the Marriot always has a table of fruit, pastries, cereal, etc. in the lobby. This worked well for a quick breakfast. You could get 2 pieces of fruit, 2 pastries, and 2 coffees for about $15. Not too bad. We also tried Coconut Joe's across the street which had cheap, standard breakfasts. Their pancakes were quite good. For a bit more creative breakfast, you can go to Cimboco which is just a short walk across the street. They serve breakfast pizza and other more "fancy" breakfast dishes.
If you are looking for amazing food and are willing to pay the money (about $150 for the whole meal), we highly recommend The Wharf (try and get a reservation around 8:00, because they feed hundreds of tarpon at 9:00, which is quite a site), Hemingway's, Luca, The Reef, Casa Havana, and the Cracked Conch (up in West Bay). We walked to all the restaurants except for the Cracked Conch. It was always a nice walk to dinner and only took 10-15 minutes for each restaurant. Another thing that the Marriott offers is a free sunset catamaran sail to Rum Point. There is a cash bar on the catamaran and you then eat dinner at the Rum Point Restaurant. It is an amazing way to watch the sunset and the food at the restaurant is amazing. The sunset cruise and dinner goes from about 5:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.
As for activities and excursions, we HIGHLY recommend Captain Marvin's. We did the half-day excursion to Stingray City, the Barrier Reef, and Coral Gardens. This was probably the highlight of our trip. It was simply amazing. You can book your tour in advance online. They have a bus that picks you up and drops you off at the Marriott.
We also did the Atlantis Submarine in Georgetown, swam with the dolphins at Dolphin Discovery, and visited the Turtle Farm. All of these are also highly recommended.
For other good snorkeling, check out Smith's Cove (about a 20 minute walk from Georgetown), Eden Rock (right in Georgetown) and Cemetary Beach (up towards West Bay). All had great snorkeling with a plethora of colorful fish.
Using the buses on Grand Cayman is the best way to get around. They are readily accessible and cheap. Just start walking the direction you want to go. Any bus that passes you will honk. If you want to get on, just wave your arm and they will stop to pick you up. There are no actual "bus stops". When you want to get off the bus, just say "Stop Please". It costs $2.50 (American), per rider per trip. Not bad!
We spent some time in Georgetown to do some shopping. We also ate at Margaritaville which is really fun. Keep in mind that there are a lot of people when cruise ships are in port, but when there are NO ships in port, a lot of restaurants and stores close early. You can go to the Caymans Port Authority website to see how many ships are in port every day. If you go to Georgetown when there's just 1-2 ships that seemed to be best. Not TOO crowded, and everything was still open.
But back to the Marriott... the turtle pond/courtyard was a great place to sit and relax. The rooms were spacious and comfortable, and the service was always top quality. The only time we had an issue with our stay was on Saturday night of our trip. On Saturday the Marriott puts on a big club-like dance party with really loud music. It went until about midnight. It was just really loud when we were walking on the beach or watching the stars. But luckily that was just one night.
Our trip to Grand Cayman was perfect, and the Marriott was a crucial part of that. It is in an excellent location; close to the airport, within walking distance to many restaurants and shops, and just a short bus ride from Georgetown. If you are thinking about a vacation on Grand Cayman, do it! The Marriott will definitely help make your trip perfect.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
6  Thank TravelsMore83
Reviewed 30 April 2010

I went to Grand Cayman last year for my best friend's wedding. The bridal party stayed at the Westin for the first three days (which was also superb). I was going to continue my stay at the Westin, but found a better deal at the Marriott. We got an ocean view room for around the same as what an island view would have been at the Westin. Again, loved the Westin, just got a better deal at Marriott. The service was exceptional. When we first arrived, the ocean view room was on the end of the hotel and if I stuck my head out (and really strained my neck), I could see some construction. I simply asked if I could see a different room, which they quickly obliged. We decided to stay in the original room, since it really was no big deal at all. About an hour later, we had a knock on the door. When I opened, I found a tray of fresh fruit, cheese, crackers, a bottle of wine, AND a bottle of champagne! Attached was a kind note apologizing for our "inconvenience" - which again, was no inconvenience at all. Simply amazing customer service. We didn't even bother going out for dinner that night, just stayed on the balcony and watched the sunset. As for everything else, it was perfect. They helped us with car rentals, sight-seeing, recreational activity (like wave running), and selecting nice restaurants. Couldn't have a bad review if I tried. The pool is not as big as the Westin's, nor is the beach as big, but you get such a great deal here. Definitely worth the time and money. Hope to return someday.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 April 2010

This is not the most luxurious hotel you can stay in however the beds are probably the most comfortable I have ever slept in! Spacious room but slightly tired furnishings. The Seven mile beach is beautiful and Cayman is defintiely my favourite place however you are always a bit crammed in near other guests on the Marriott (sometimes felt like I was in Spain!). The pool is smallish with one row of loungers around and really it is just for children and parents. The courtyard gardents are beautiful, however, I was struck by how many rooms were jammed together over this and it had a feeling of motel rather than hotel. This said however, it is still a very nice place to stay with fantastic staff and a great base for looking around the island. We were on a room only basis and everything is very pricey. We had fantastic breakfasts at Cimboco restaurant which is behind pizza hut/garage (we tried Coconut Joe's as recommended by other TA users, however, it felt a bit like going round someone's house to eat with old plates etc). For evening entertainment you would have to look elsewhere, there is no entertainment at the marriott except for themed food nights designed to get you to spend a bit more! I think this is what people mean when they say this is not really a 'resort'.

When I was originally looking at hotels to stay in the Ritz Carlton was £600 more per person, if I were to book again I think I would rather pay this bit more for the complete luxury and fine detail of the Ritz. The marriott is a lot smaller however and very friendly and if you have small children who want to go from the pool to the sea all day, the marriott would probably be the best choice.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 April 2010

Just returned from a week stay at the Marriott and it was the perfect family vacation. We read most of the reviews on TA and were well prepared on what to expect. Overall, our expectations were greatly exceeded and hope to return to this hotel at some point. Here are some comments if interested...

The Hotel is an older property but is was recently renovated. The rooms were typical Marriott style, and every room has a balcony. The courtyard area was very nice with a turtle pond being the focal point. The kids (ages 10 and 7) loved picking up the turtles and chasing the lizzards and iguana's. The lobby was a real nice area to spend some time (2 large flat screen TV's, a bar, computers to access the internet, etc...).

The Service was extraordinary. The doormen were incredibly friendly and greeted the kids upon arrival with small stuffed turtles. That surely set the tone as it was a great first impression. That type of friendly service was consistent throughout our stay. I really can not say enough about how well the staff is trained to care for the guests. I travel often and I rarely see this type of service level.

The restaurants were very good. As we were on the all inclusive program, we ate 3 meals a day at the hotel. The breakfast buffet was average... Lots of choices bu nothing special. We dined at Solana's and the Red Parrott on multiple occasions and found both to be very good. Dining at Solana's during sunset is truly amazing. The sun sets right on the horizon; it is a sight to see. One night, the sunset was so stunning that folks actually clapped loudly after the sun set beyond the ocean... it was that spectacular. As for the food, we had lobster almost every evening (remember, we were on the all inclusive), and it was consistenly prepared and was very good. At times, the service was a tad slow, but we really didn't mind as we enjoyed the views of the beach.

The beach was stunning... Some folks on TA felt that the beach was a bit narrow (compared to the rest of seven mile beach) but we did not feel that way. In fact, we felt it was the nicest beach on all of the seven mile area. What we liked most was the incredible snorkling right on the Marriott beach. Marriott put a man made reef about 30 feet from the shore and the kids and adults all enjoyed snorkling every day. There had to be 50 different species of fish around the reef, so we never got tired of snorkling. The water was the amazing... extreemly clear with varying shades of blue. Nothing like we ever experienced before.

The pool was a bit on the smaller side but the kids enjoyed it everyday. What was real nice was that the walk from the beach to the pool is about 1 minute, so you could jump back between the 2 quite easlily.

Now, some things that would really make this an amazing family resort....

Kids Club was pretty uneventful (not much going on there). I believe the pool/outdoor bar area could be enhanced with live music (calypso music or steel drums would be nice). Also, a coffee shop (yeah... Starbuck's) would be a nice addition to the lobby as well; although there is a coffee shop (Cafe de Sol) about a 5 minute walk from the hotel that is very good. Night life at the hotel is non existent, but there appeared to be some places to go within walking distance to the hotel.

This is a real nice place and we strongly recommend it for those traveling to Grand Cayman.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank eppyhow
Reviewed 24 April 2010

Marriott during spring break was crowded but the service and hotel were excellent. The rooms are normal Marriott rooms with comfortable beds and they have a rather large bathroom. The people who waiting either in the restaurants or on the beach were superb. Very attentive. We felt like when we ate dinner we had top notch service in the Solana restaurant. The restaurant is pricey but delicious. It it on an excellent sandy beach where you can also snorkel because of the coral in front of the hotel. It is a lovely place with lovely people.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
Caribbean Club
#1 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
Compass Point Dive Resort
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mi...
#5 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach

Been to Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort? Share your experiences!