“Great stay at Sunshine Suites Resort”

Sunshine Suites Resort
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
Albany NY
“Great stay at Sunshine Suites Resort”
Reviewed 5 January 2012

We spent a week in November at Sunshine Suites Resort. The place is not fancy, but the room is nice, the bathroom is big and there are all possible appliances you might need: stove, fridge, microwave, iron, hairdrier. The location is very good, although you have to cross the road to reach the beach. Warning: there is NO restrooms and changing booths on the beach close to the hotel. You have to walk 15-20 minutes to the public beach to take a shower or return to the hotel. It is a problem if one has allergy on salted water like my husband. The bus stop is right at the corner of the highway and the big grocery store is at a distance of 10 minutes walk. It is a clean, comfortable, nice little hotel. I would give it 5 stars if AC in our room was not terribly noisy and continental breakfast was not the worst I've ever had. But it was not a problem. After the whole day of swimming and walking you don't pay attention on any noise, and we bought cheese, yogurts, etc. for breakfast at the grocery. By the way they have hot buffet with a good choice of food for $5 per lb.
The Grill restaurant at the hotel is very good and the food there is delicious. Don't miss it! Thanks, chef!!
The staff is very nice, friendly and helpful. We enjoyed our stay up to the last minute.
Hint: The best place to go snorkel is Cemetery beach :)

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (417)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Had a fabulous time, couldn't have been happier with the accommodations, location, staff and the clientele. I ended up going by myself and I'm so glad I went and stayed here.
The Grill:
Everyone was so friendly and helpful. Kendal, Dani and Andrew at the Grill went out of their way to make me feel right at home... I hated to leave. Although they are known for their Fish Tacos(which are great) you have to try the Havana Chicken and the cheese balls appetizer. I tried a few other places to eat but found myself back at the Grill... great food, great staff and always an interesting patron or 2 to talk with. I spoke with one couple that were staying at the Weston across the street and they said the food and atmosphere was so much better at the Sunshine Grill.
The Hotel:
Everyone at the front desk was so helpful, knowledgeable and pleasant. Whether it was planning an excursion, renting a bike or just a general question - everything was done with a smile. Location, Location, Location. It's just far enough north from GeorgeTown to not be in the middle of the craziness but centrally located to get to a lot of great places with in minutes. With just a short walk across the street to 7 mile beach (in between the Ritz Carleton on the left and the Weston the right) you just can't beat it. The beaches on the island are all public so you are sitting on the beach with folks that paid $ks more to stay at the Ritz or Weston. I walked the beach everyday... some days venturing up to Calico Jack's(Beach Bar about a 15 minute walk North) for a drink at sunset. I took the public bus everywhere, they are vans, for CI$2 you can get just about anywhere on the west side. You can also take one to Georgetown and from there connect to buses that service the other side of the island.
General Things to Note: The buses seem to run much later than advertised... taking a cab is very, very expensive. Not very much goes on Sundays on this island... plan for it to be a beach day.

I wasn't back home a couple of days and already planning a return trip... and will definitely stay at Sunshine Suites.
Thanks to everyone at the Sunshine Suites/Grill for making my 10 day stay a wonderful vacation that I'll never forget!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
9 Thank Sue V
New York
Reviewed 5 January 2012

We stayed for a week at Sunshine Suites in June. Upon check-in it was very clean and spacious, a great value for your money. It is right across the street from a beautiful beach and The Ritz-Carlton resort, which is the perfect location. The restaurant downstairs was great, and there was a great asian restaurant in the strip mall right in front too. As the week wore on, we realized the housekeeper wasn't really cleaning and was more like, placing our stuff without cleaning much, so after a week we were ready to get out. But aside from that, it was a good experience and we would go back. They provided a crib for our baby, but not any soft blankets...and the pillows on our bed were very hard. So, I would recommend bringing your own blankies if you are traveling with a baby and possibly your own pillows if you are picky about that.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Charlie827
Den Bosch, The Netherlands
Reviewed 5 January 2012

We just spent a fantastic 10 days at Pirates Point on Little Cayman on the beach, so for our 2 days stop over in Grand Cayman for the return trip, beach front hotel was not a priority which made the Sunshine Suites a perfect location.

The price was excellent, comparing to what our friends paid at another hotel, similar rating, on the beach side of 7 mile beach road, even with a "discount". Our room was good size and clean and the staff very friendly!! What more can we ask for??

Easy parking, close to the rooms and a bonus is to have the Sunshine Grill right next door!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank WSS64
Cebu City, Philippines
Reviewed 3 January 2012

My Grandmother and Aunt came down with me to the Cayman Islands when I moving here. We booked a room for them at Sunshine Suites because it's the closest one to my new work place. The room is clean and wonderful and for the value, it was perfect! Love the beds and I would not complain about it. The staff was very accommodating and friendly. So they recommended the place when my parents and siblings were coming over to visit me. When I went over to Sunshine, I booked them a bedroom suite at also a very good value for four people. They were very helpful and were totally happy to accommodate my request as not to let my parents know the correct date when they're checking out because I booked them a room at the Ritz for a night as a surprise. They loved the place especially in the mornings where it's cool and they can sit and relax on the lounge chairs around the garden. Despite it's not having the view of the ocean, it is definitely a good place to stay. You can borrow the beach chairs and bring it to the beach. Loved that they have a laundry area which is neat and tidy. Best part about this place is their Sunshine Grill. The Naked Wahoo is amazing! Although I would think it's a little bit on the salty side, but I definitely love the dish. And they weren't kidding when they boasted that they were rated for the best burgers in town. I definitely have to agree. Their burgers are wicked awesome!!! And I look forward to their soft-serve ice cream that they serve at the end of the meal. They change flavors often and I find them interesting. I had pumpkin pie flavor one time during Halloween. Plus, my boss's girl just told me yesterday I have to try "The Painkiller" she said it will change my life! I might probably go back one of these days because I'm craving for their wahoo and burgers.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank chefberns
Chicago
Reviewed 3 January 2012

We just came back from a great six-night stay at the Sunshine Suites. Prior to the trip, I had read several of the property's reviews on Trip Advisor. I have to say I'm perplexed about those that commented that their rooms were not clean. Our room was lovely! It was very clean and spacious, and the bed was comfortable. And our studio room included a small kitchenett, which we didn't use, but certainly could have made meals in if we wanted to. The bathroom was clean and stocked with Nutregena bath products. It was very functional, but definitely not large and there was just a standard bathtub and shower -- no crazy spa gadgets or anything like that. (Ladies -- the lighting leaves something to be desired.) Certainly, this isn't a luxury property, but for the price, it was superb and very charming.

The restaurant was very good. Prices were moderate, but I'd say inexpensive for the Cayman's. The portion sizes were HUGE! Very good value and very tasty. It does get crowded at the restaurant, so if you are going at primetime lunch or dinner, be preared for a wait, or make a reservation.

The property is not on the beach, but they do provide small chairs and towels for guests to take with them across the street to the beach at the Westin. It was beautiful and well worth the short walk -- less than 10 minutes, and it is directly across the street. The only downside is that you have to walk near the Westin's dumpsters. It can get a little smelly. However, the water is crystal clear, turquoise and absolutely gorgeous. The sand is white and powdery -- just idyllic.

The hotel has a small pool with several nice chaises and a covered area with a couple couches. It can get crowded at the pool, but we did not have any issues getting chairs or finding a seat under the cover when the sun got to be too much.

There were lots of families staying at Sunshine, so if you are looking for adults only, this is not the place.

All in all, this was a very good place. Great service (excellent and friendly staff everywhere) and awesome value. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jag_7896
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 2 January 2012

Sunshine Suites has a well trained, delightful staff who seem dedicated to making every part of our stay relaxing. We made reservations by phone and our request for 3 one-bedroom suites was honored. Sunshine Suites location, price, and welcoming staff were all outstanding. In addition to the sparkling clean pool in front of the restaurant, it is only a 5 minute walk to 7 Mile Beach. Free beach chairs and easy access to the 7 Mile Beach makes this property a special family-friendly place to stay. There are several small shops between the hotel and the beach for a quick way to find essentials we forgot to pack.

Each day we had help with restaurant reservations, directions to Island attractions and shops. Grounds keepers and housekeeping staff work hard to keep the property exceptionally well maintained and pleasant. The restaurant has a friendly team with high quality, nicely presented, and fairly priced selections for lunch and dinner.

Room Tip: One bedroom suites have a comfortable sitting area, separated from the sleeping area by a kitchenet...