Before I begin, understand this is a nice property at which to stay. The grounds are nice and well kept and the on-site restaurant (Sunshine Grill) is very good at what it serves. The key to visiting this property is that you understand there are trade-offs to staying at an off beach hotel versus the price being charged.
1) The property was well maintained. Green lawns and palm trees with hammocks and chairs to lounge around.
2) While I do not know how old this hotel is, it did not appear to be very old.
3) Within a 15-20 minute walk are several fine eating establishments.
4) The Sunshine Grill restaurant on site served very good food but its menu is one of salads, sandwiches, burgers, various tacos (beef, fish, chicken, all great). All items I purchased were very good. You should come here for informal dining even if you stay elsewhere. Reservations are required in the evenings.
5) Breakfast was included. A basic selection with yogurt, cereals, oatmeal, some fruit, mini muffins, toast, coffee and juice.
6) The room includes a refrigerator, small microwave, two burner stove top with basic plates and utensils.
7) The room rate is one half of those on the beach.
1) You walk a distance that would be equivalent to about three long city blocks to the beach carrying your day's worth of equipment. Your chairs, your towels, books, shade umbrella (if you buy one), water, and whatever else you take to the beach. Did I mention you have to cross a busy road? You then bring it all back at the end of the day.
2) In the truly public areas of the beach, there is not any consistent shade area to escape the sun. The tree areas with shade are part of the private areas of the beach front properties. Be prepared to be in the sun or else buy an umbrella.
3) There are no public restrooms (toilets) on the beach for people to use. Of course they are in the beach resorts or condos along the beach for use of their guests. I will let you determine how important having a restroom is to you with your room a distance away.
4) While Sunshine Suites does provide a low profile fold up beach chair for you to carry to the beach and back, it is not a lounge chair like you get at the beach hotels. Mine was fine for reading and sitting, just do not expect to lie flat.
5) There are no great water front views from your room. My side of the building looked out on the parking lot. Some rooms will see the lawn area and then the parking lots.
6) The buildings are three floors tall without an elevator if that would present a problem.
7) My room was the one bed version. The room and bath were small by USA standards. It was usable and clean, just a little small.
Should you stay here? From a lodging perspective it is a nice clean hotel with a great place to eat. Thus, my four star rating. As for someone intent on having a beach holiday, you will have to assess the trade-offs versus the cost. My stay was half the rate of the Westin located on the beach near the Sunshine Suites. Is it worth it? Each individual will need to decide that question. For some the answer will be yes. For others, they may be willing to pay for the beach hotel convenience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sunshine Suites Resort offers the best in affordable boutique lodging. We're a short walk from the sparkling ocean waters and white sand of Grand Cayman's famous Seven Mile Beach. Enjoy the convenience of our prime location near dozens of shops, restaurants and activities. Our amenities include free continental breakfast and wireless internet. In addition, Guests enjoy the amenities at our neighboring sister property on Seven Mile Beach including charging privileges to your hotel room: Use of the beach, beach chairs and towels, Beach Ambassadors to service your needs and assist you with beach lounge chair placement, unlimited use of the Fitness Center and spa. We offer our guests high end accommodations, excellent services and convenience at affordable prices. Whether your visit is for business or pleasure, a warm and friendly team awaits you! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Southall Travel, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Sunshine Suites Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sunshine Hotel Seven Mile Beach
- Sunshine Suites Resort Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands