“Love, Love, Love Sunshine Suites!”

Sunshine Suites Resort
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
Reviewed 2 August 2013

My husband and I just adore Sunshine Suites. We’ve been traveling to Cayman for 23 years and Sunshine Suites now is the only hotel we stay at when we visit Cayman, which is at least once a year. The staff are incredible and so helpful, the grounds are perfectly maintained, there are hammocks to take a snooze, they have a lovely pool area and the Sunshine Grill is phenomenal. Also, each room has a full kitchen and is immaculate and very comfortable.
They have just installed HDTV and that was great – tons of channels and 5 music channels. You can borrow beach chairs and towels to take with you when you go to the beach, which is really nice. The beach is just a short walk (say 200 yards ish) across West Bay Road. Since the new bypass opened, there is not much traffic on West Bay Road now so it was really easy to cross West Bay Road to get to the beach this visit. Our only complaint was that the internet service was spotty. However, they said they are in the process of upgrading it to the fastest service on the island. We had breakfast at the Sunshine Grill and it was great. They just started offering a full breakfast menu. I had the pancakes with blueberries (fabulous) and my husband had the homemade yogurt with granola, honey and blueberries (also fantastic). Very reasonable prices (for Cayman). They still offer a nice free continental breakfast (cereal, fruit, yogurt). It was more generous in years past, but not that good. Now it really has great pastries and terrific gourmet coffee as well. Also, lunch and dinner in the Sunshine Grill are equally amazing and tasty - be sure to try the Fish Tacos and the Havanna Chicken.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,802)

Reviewed 30 July 2013

Our family (husband, wife and twin 13-year old boys) enjoyed a week's stay at Sunshine Suites Resort this past month (July 2013). We found practically everything about Sunshine Suites to be as good as the excellent reviews promised. The proximity to the beach was perfect ... a short stroll across the street and down a gravel path past the Westin Causarina put us smack in the middle of a beautiful beach. Steps away was Red Sail Water Sports (down near Governor's Beach) where we were able to rent kayaks, sail boat, take a "banana boat" ride and more.
Breakfast at Sunshine Grill was included in our room rate and our stay coincided with a change to free continental breakfast and a new ala carte menu. We did not try the ala carte breakfast, but did have the breakfast buffet which we found to be more than adequate. Towels and beach chairs for the beach were readily available and convenient. We brought a small insulated bag to bring water, soft drinks, fruit and snack to the beach each day.
Darryn, the manager of the Sunshine Grill, generously spent a fair amount time with us mapping out highlights of the island on the day we rented a car. Katie, at the Front Desk, was helpful and pleasant with getting my return boarding passes printed. I used the on-site laundry facilities half-way through (Front Desk provided CI quarters in exchange for my US bills), which was great ... allowing us to pack light and still have fresh clothing for our stay.
We all agreed that the best meals we had on the island were our dinners at the Sunshine Grill. The food is fresh, wonderfully and creatively prepared and generous. Drinks from the bar were most delicious as well, thanks to Danielle (Nicole?). We loved the mini ice cream cone offered after meals ... my favorite flavor was the Mango-Lemon with Ginger (I think it was called).
The staff are all welcoming, pleasant and helpful. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would return to Grand Cayman and Sunshine Suites in a New York minute!
Thanks to all for a wonderful family vacation!

Room Tip: We had a one-bedroom suite (not a closed-off room, but a separate sleeping area). Our boys slept on...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We’ve stayed at Sunshine Suites several times and being there always makes me happy! The clean and comfortable kitchenette rooms, the beautiful grounds, and the close proximity to the beach are just the beginning of what makes a great relaxing vacation. My husband and I just stayed a week and wished it could have been more. We especially enjoyed grabbing the free continental breakfast the hotel provides early each morning, a wonderful cup of illy gourmet coffee, a couple of beach chairs (also complimentary) and heading to the beach to enjoy the morning breeze. The continental breakfast included a variety of fresh pastries, muffins, cereal, yogurt, bananas and oranges. Really all we needed to start our day. When we wanted a great meal the Sunshine Grill was as far as we needed to go. The menu options were affordable and offered both sinful & healthy alternatives. New this year was the Grill’s breakfast menu and we found it was really nice to have a hot made-to-order breakfast on site. The blueberry pancakes with applewood bacon was our favorite breakfast but other menu options were also very good and one of the best values that we found. While we were there they changed over to a wonderful 57 channel HDTV service with music channels that made relaxing in our room just that much better. Thank you Sunshine Suites!

1  Thank BTcountrygirl
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We just returned for the second time to Grand Cayman and again chose to stay at the Sunshine Suites. Again, they did not disappoint. The customer service was superb--the front desk staff were very responsive to even the most minor questions or concerns, and the waitstaff at the Sunshine Grill (which happens to have great food!) made you feel like you were chatting with a friend. Sunshine Suites does many of the "little things" that you would want...whether it be providing free beach towels and chairs, or a shower room for those that have checked out of the room but want to spend a few of their last hours on the beach before catching their flight home. Even the housekeeping staff goes above and beyond--on several occasions when we returned to our room, we found that our dishes had been washed for us which I assume is not part of what the staff are required to do except maybe upon check out. A terrific place. We will certainly be back!

Reviewed 28 July 2013

Our family of four (two adults and two teens) stayed here for 4 nights and I wished I planned a longer trip. We checked in a few hours early and the room was not ready yet because it was late morning but all the staff was so nice and helpful and gave us a room with a shower so we could change for the beach and freshen up and took our luggage so we didn't have to worry about it. The grounds, the staff, the room and location were all great. I can't express how welcome they make you feel.
The continental breakfast was a great perk and there were plenty of options for a free breakfast. The Sunshine Grill was great as well for both breakfast and dinner.
It's very hard to find a quality hotel that has a great staff and offers free beach chairs,beach towels, continental breakfast for such a low price.
It is a short walk (about 200 yds) to the beach but you can stop at the liquor store on the corner for a drink on the way. If you want to be right on the beach you have to be willing to pay atleast triple the price per night.
We will definitely be staying here again on our next trip to the island.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Have just returned (sadly) from a 2 week holiday in the Cayman Islands. For the second half of my holiday my friend and I stayed in the Sunshine Suites. When we booked it was mainly due to the cost (it was the cheapest), but having checked Tripadvisor after booking I was pleasantly surprised!

I have to say I agree with all the previous 5 star reviews that the Sunshine Suites has received. I stayed in a basic double room but it was extremely well equipped with a large fridge, air con, big TV, microwave...I could go on and on. The bed was also extremely comfortable. For the price we paid, I could not fault this room. In fact I would probably still say that if paying more!

For future travelers to this hotel, you must try the Sunshine Grill - it really does do the best burger (but go there hungry as the portions are huge!). We also had the new a la carte breakfast there on our last morning (blueberry pancakes and bacon...yum!) which was of a similarly high standard.

All in all, all the staff we encountered were very friendly and helpful. Our room was great. The grounds are immaculately kept (as with all of the Cayman Islands it would seem). The location next to what we discovered was our favourite beach (Governor's Beach on Seven Mile) couldn't have been more perfect. All this and free wifi, parking and a seemingly unlimited supply of beach towels as required.

I will definitely recommend this hotel to others - they got everything right! Thank you!!

Room Tip: I didn't see a lift whilst I was there (I was on the ground floor), so if stairs are an issue, a...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 July 2013

I gave this hotel a poor rating only after repetitive stays over four years. Most people do not give this hotel a poor rating . My ratings in their Trip advisers chart for sleep quality , rooms Etc. we're not that bad at all . I have a lot of positive things to say about this hotel . First of all if you've never been to the Cayman Islands and landed without a reservation this is without a doubt the best go to hotel call get a room any room for one night don't think about anything and you'll have a better Time than other options by far . It's really amazing what these people have done to this simple property the grounds are amazing the colors are interesting And everything is consistent every trip as far as the cleanliness of the grounds and the general look . The problem is person who set up the general look and Attitude of this hotel left years ago although they've kept his look consistent things with the staff are slowly changing . The person who manages the hotel is a good guy as you can tell by their reviews but things are changing slowly . I stay in their highest price rooms and I find them pleasant extremely clean and I swear they steam clean the loveseats often . Sometimes I ask for the same room and it's in top shape like I said but even a year later the same air-conditioner in the same room will be making a Unusual noise -like the year before. the lovely head maintenance man will come up and does the best he can . He's not in control of ordering parts so it's like living the same drama year after year . Ask for the head maintenance man if you have a problem , don't bother him as he really is a nice guy . I find some problems with some of the so-called maintenance people and some of the housecleaners. Don't get me wrong everything is very clean in the rooms. One thing to remember though is Cayman Islands used to be governed by Jamaica and their are strong family ties between the two islands. Someone from Jamaica of course bring their exact cultural ideas with them and their views of life with them so in a way it's kind of like visiting Jamaica in a small way. The good and the bad. Everyone's just ultimately trying to come to to some type of human understanding. This hotel keeps a year-to-year 24-hour strong watch over the safety of the hotel and their guests. The only concerns I ever have are when they have a fill in security guard which never bothers me and once in a while I'll get a small uneasiness about one or to of the staff it's probably just me. The pool Maintenance is exceptionally good . You will probably only notice problems with the breakfast after repetitive stays, or stays more than one or two days . The staff who work the breakfast have been the same for years and just not happy themselves and either had no or lost all respect for tourists. God bless them I hope things work out. I find the food for dinner to be excellent and consistent and they'll even give you half portions if you ask can be lots of fun. In general something about the grill just seems to be slowly fading as well. I Asked for a dark and stormy at the bar which I don't usually frequent and was given the wrong type of rum And a cheap ginger ale . The "cheap" ginger ale is understandable due to the customs cost of importing items. This drink is made with the same type of rum worldwide it Requires this rum to be called a dark and stormy.)(I sat there for 15 minutes waiting for the bartender to serve other people was really patient wondering what was wrong with my drink. I saw the drink Poured and in my best Sunday school manners asked what was wrong and could I have another drink. Was told they were out of that type of rum hey no problem at all , I just want to have fun and relax. It's the response I got that was the problem that made the fun Goaway was given another Type of drink with very little Alcohol poured in it . I was given an attitude and a weak second drink how dare I ask for what I ordered ? They just never think they're going to see you again. I get this attitude a lot on Grand Cayman they are convinced they never going to see you again and it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy I ask you even though I love Grand Cayman and will always go back the rest of my life what I'm I supposed to do. Buy a condo only go to the grocery store and hide the rest of my life. On the subject remember this is a hotel that changes their price every 15 minutes and also adds on electricity charges that other hotels do not add on to. Your bill. They also use gimmicks on the web to try to get you to sign up sign up for more rooms upgrades I don't know why ,I don't know why they do this because they are obviously highly rated. It's a weird combination of making a building that could be nothing into something spectacular having excellent grounds fun colors in a fun atmosphere but even from the top down some of the basic planning does not have loyalty to the customer in mind -even though this is a privately owned hotel . Many hotels Say they are almost full or half full and they are not even close to that. This hotel has more cars in the parking lot every time I drive by it compared to other hotels by far. So unless they're giving away rooms to friends or business partners they are definitely are doing something right compared to other hotels on the island . This review is half written for the sunshine suites and grill themselves in the hope that they can make a change like was made years ago to set up the original basis for the success of this hotel. There is a beach like no other within a short walking distance there's never any waves at the beach the water is the same 86 Degrees Fahrenheit all the time there is no crime on the beach The weather is incredibly consistent . even if the weather calls for rain just don't worry just go swimming - go down to the beach . Go try and take part in the local community but if you see some locals who look like people you wouldn't hang out with at home (Bad attitude ) drinking at the beach or are alcoholics it's best to stay away and deal with the other 95%to 98% ? of the population. I hope I have not been to wordy or straightforward about my review I'm only just trying to help best of luck . If by some chance you can tell who I am by this review once again I'm just trying to help I can see the writing on the wall Grand Cayman is going to get very busy especially your part of the island soon so I hope this helps. I just want to see everybody progress. I hope your staff and your hotel makes money and your staff is happy .

Room Tip: If you don't mind walking upstairs - get there Highest price room which overlooks the pool or ch...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Wyndham Reef Resort
Wyndham Reef Resort
#2 of 2 in East End
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Reso...
#4 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mi...
#5 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach

Been to Sunshine Suites Resort? Share your experiences!