“Near perfection . . .”

Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin
“Near perfection . . .”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I can't say anything that hasn't already been said about the great value and comfort of this hotel. I've visted a ton of vacation places in Mexico, Jamaica, Aruba, Dominican Republic, Anitgua . . and this vacation has set the bar high for future trips. If this hotel was plopped down in the middle of the crummy beach we had in Jamaica, it wouldn't be that great. But because it was adjacent to probably the nicest beach I have ever seen, it was just enhanced that much more.

First, the front desk staff is by far, the nicest bunch of people you will ever encounter. Do you ever walk into a place, and the person is doing something and doesn't even look up and acknowledge you? Not here! Always a smile and priority attention on the person standing in front of them.

The grounds and the buildings are impeccable. Someone recently stated it's run down?!?! Seriously? Eveything inside and out looked freshly painted and clean, the grounds were ridiculously manicured (they vacuumed up leaves!) Our room was always clean, with plenty of fresh towels and more bath products than we knew what to do with! About a week before we arrived I e-mailed and requested a top floor room, and that's exactly what we got. Our room was carpeted, which I actually prefer. I think it's quieter than tile floors, and if you track in sand, you don't step on it all over the room. We tipped the maid every day, but she never took the money! It just laid by the TV and piled up. Guess it would be safe to say you could leave other stuff around and not feel like it would go missing. On our last day, we left behind all of our leftover Cayman money for the maid, and hope that time she took it!

The beds were super comfy, and overall the hotel was pretty quiet. Definitely not the loud party place which is good for me. The little kitchen with full size fridge really came in handy. We bought water, soda and lunch food at the Fosters, and ate on the cheap every day, taking a break from the beach at mid-day. We also made ice in the freezer every day to put in our coolers for the beach.

I have to admit, I was a little concerned about not being directly on the beach. But it was really no big deal at all to get to the beach. There were always plenty of chairs which were lightweight and easy to trek across the road to get to the beach. And once you got to the beach, there was plenty of room to spread out and be as far or near to other people as you wanted. Looking over at the Westin beach--it was just packed with people and umbrellas and they probably had the chair game going on like every other resort I've been. Never used the pool at the Sunshine Suites, but who in their right mind would sit at the pool, when you have beautiful Seven Mile Beach? The water was crystal clear--just like a swimming pool, and not a speck of seaweed. It was just incredible.

The complimentary breakfast was probably the low point of the resort. Just not the kind of food I eat. (I would prefer something like a bagel to the sweet roll type things they had) But it was something to start the day. Only ate at the Sunshine Grill one night during our stay. It was pretty good, but we wanted to try other places too.

The front desk helped arrange a rental car for a day, and we drove around the whole island. We were hoping to find little off the beaten path beaches, but nothing was as nice as the beach right at home! We made a couple stops at a few little shops along the way and picked up a few souvenirs. Rum Point was cute--we had lunch there, but again, the beach was not all it was cracked up to be. We also made a stop at Hell--now that's one overblown tourist trap! We missed it on the first time past, and ended up being the only ones there, so it was a little weird. Some guy with a lizard told us about how it was formed (and I'm guessing he wanted money). Don't plan for more than 5-10 minutes there! But now I can say I was there. Other than the one day, I don't feel there's a big need for a car. We were able to walk or take the buses everywhere we wanted to go.

We found plenty of places to eat that were not extremely expensive like you hear. But, we also didn't go for the gourmet stuff. We ate at Sunshine Grill, Eats Cafe (twice), Guy Harvey's Grille for the $9.99 steak frites night, Chicken Chicken, Lone Star (? not positive on that name, but we ate there twice!) and our splurge was Copper Falls Steakhouse. I would recommend all of them--good food at reasonable prices.

Everything in town closes at 5, and is completely closed on Sundays. We spent one morning in town doing a little shopping. We went on a Monday when there are less cruise ships, and nothing was crowded at all. Not sure where all the cruise ship people go when there are 5 or 6 in port!

We also did the half day Stingray City tour with Captain Marvin's located at the strip mall behind the hotel. For $45 they take you to the docks, and you ride out to Stingray City on a big boat, and make two snorkel stops. Pretty reasonable price I thought. We went on Sunday, when it's recommended to avoid the cruise ship crowds.

Overall, this was a great vacation. I am so glad I got to see Grand Cayman and didn't have to spend a fortune to do so. I can't imagine spending double for a room at the Westin or some other hotel. I personally don't spend time in my room gazing out the window, so I really don't care what the view is. And for those who think the Ritz is all that, well guess what--half of their rooms are across the road from the beach too! I would definitely recommend the Sunshine Suites to stay on your Grand Cayman vacation.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank LuvLuvLuvTheSun

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (417)
Virginia
Reviewed 25 April 2014

This was our first stay at Sunshine Suites and our first visit to Grand Cayman. The accommodations were more than adequate featuring a clean, cool, comfortable room with all the expected amenities. The staff from check in to the grill to the management team were all very friendly and interactive with the guests. The grounds are absolutely gorgeous with an ample amount of chairs by a very nice pool which never seemed crowded during our visit. As far as the grill goes it was absolutely superb. I can't speak to the continental breakfast because we were on vacation and wanted something a little more substantial. So we ate all but one breakfast at the Sunshine Grill and several lunches. I found the food to be excellent and the prices to be reasonable and similar to what I might pay at any resort area in the states.

If we visit Grand Cayman in the future we will definitely stay at Sunshine Suites.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ROATravel
Crawfordsville, Indiana
Reviewed 21 April 2014

This was our second time staying at Sunshine Suites Resort. And, it will not be our last! The staff is very friendly. The rooms are very clean. Returning customers get a discounted rate and a food/beverage credit to the Sunshine Grill. I cannot say enough good things about the Sunshine Suites Resort. The beach is a short walk across the street. Sunshine Suites provides nice beach chairs to take with you. Beach towels are also provided. We are looking forward to staying with them on our next trip to Cayman.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Sabra E
yorkshire
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We have just returned from a 2 week stay at the sunshine suites and really could not find any faults with it at all. It is exactly what it claims to be.
The rooms are clean and comfortable, ours was just the basic room, and it was more than big enough, we don't go on holiday to spend all day in the room. The kitchen facilities were good enough and as others have said there is a Fosters about 10 mins down the road and a cost u less just around the corner. We bought provisions and made snacks for lunch on a few days.
the beach is just over the road. I read negative comments previously about the distance to the beach, and all I can say is that I've stayed in "beach front hotels" and had to walk further to get to the beach, most of the rooms at the ritz carlton have further to go for $1000 per night.
the grill wasnt really to our taste but I wouldn't mark it down because there are obviously many who do, just not our type of food. There is a good family type restaurant around the corner called eats where you can get good, reasonably priced food.
the staff were ALL very friendly and helpful and nothing was too much trouble. I requested a ground floor room a few months before and that is what we had, room 117 in block A, we heard very little noise and had no disruption to our sleep.
safety deposit boxes are available at the front desk, if you lose the key they charge you $250, so dont lose the key, simple.
if you want all singing and dancing then pay for it, if you just want good, clean accommodation then you wont go far wrong.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cath_and_rob
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Many of the big hotels and resorts on Seven Mile Beach are very expensive. I recently stayed at the Sunshine Suites because I wanted to be near a conference at the Ritz Carleton (but didn't want to pay the prices for the Ritz rooms). It's not a fancy place, but I was very comfortable there and would definitely stay there again if I'm ever lucky enough to be back in the Caymans.
Location was great - a couple of blocks from the Ritz and a block from the Westin. It's just across the street from a path that gives you beach access. It is a short walk to Governor's Beach (great snorkeling).
Rooms were good-sized and very clean. There is a small kitchen with the basic supplies for dishes/cutlery.
WiFi worked great and was free! I didn't take advantage of the grab-and-go breakfast so I can't comment on that.
Staff were exceptionally friendly and very helpful with advice and answering any questions I had.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Stayed a week at Sunshine Suites and it was a very nice hotel. This was our third trip to a Grand Cayman, but the best so far. Will stay there again next year. Very clean rooms with and extremely comfortable bed. Grab ' N go breakfast was excellent!!! Fish tacos at Sunshine a Grill were outstanding. Great location can walk to beach in about 10 minutes. Have beach chairs for you to use when you go to beach. Great atmosphere at hotel and it costs a fraction of anywhere else. You will not be sorry staying here.

Room Tip: If you are a diver ask for a room near the dive wash area.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Burlington, Vermont
Reviewed 18 April 2014

We stayed at Sunshine Suites in April for 7 nights and loved it! The hotel, staff, and restaurant all exceeded our expectations. We had a 1BR suite, which was clean, good size, and had a really comfortable bed. It's not right on the beach, but it's a very short walk across the street and there are nice chairs you can bring from the hotel. The restaurant, Sunshine Grill was fantastic. The food and staff were both great. I highly recommend the jerk chicken egg rolls and the tostado chicken salad (and margaritas). To top it all off, there is a complimentary mini ice cream cone at the end of the meal, a different flavor every day. It was our favorite restaurant we went to, and also the least expensive. The "grab and go breakfast" is free and has plenty to choose from. Cereal, yogurt, pastries, fruit, juice, coffee... it's also in a cute screened in building behind the hotel. The grounds were really well-taken care of, and the hotel has a lot of character. The staff was super helpful and could answer any questions about the area and called to make reservations for scuba trips, stingray city... We had a great time and would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple