“Great Gateaway to the Caymans @ Sunshine Suites Resort!”

Sunshine Suites Resort
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Sunshine Suites is an excellent value resort that fit our needs. Extremely friendly and professional staff (everyone). Grounds always maintained, room cleaned on time, and knowledgable when asked about the island. Highly recommended! Great job team!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kingscaliberpis... .
Write a ReviewReviews (1,803)

Reviewed 29 May 2014

I think this was my fifth or sixth trip to Sunshine Suites since Ivan in 2004. It always offers consistently good standards of food and accommodation plus a helpful and friendly staff. Despite a fairly large number of rooms it never seems to be crowded, and the Grab and Go cantina has helped reduce the breakfast queues, although not so much free as there used to be!

On this trip, Expedia asked me to rate the check-in process etc and I mentioned that I had to wait some time due to my early arrival from Jamaica, but I did say that Sunshine is a victim of its own popularity and therefore usually full. No matter, the next day I was kindly offered (by Sunshine) a credit to my food and beverage account. This is the sort of service which brings people back - not to mention fast, free WiFi.

If they had dedicated smoking rooms this place would get five stars, but I suspect that's unlikely!

Room Tip: There are no elevators, so ground floor might be better for those who are not so agile.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank KentBaz
Reviewed 28 May 2014

After a 21 hour trip from the UK you need a nice friendly welcome and we got it with Shawnna-Kay ( one of the girls behind reception). In all my years of travelling and don't think I've ever felt so genuinely welcomed and taken care of. This followed by another girl lifting our 20kg + cases in each hand up two floors to our room - smiling continually! I was with my Mum so the help was so really appreciated.
We booked a 9 night stay from April 26 to May 5.
Our room was the deluxe - plenty of space overlooking the garden and two queen beds. It was totally what I expected from reading most of the reviews. The beds were extremely comfortable, so too the pillows ( and I'm fussy with pillows!) We left the air conditioning on through the day which kept the room cool enough not to have it on at night as we are not use to the noise of air con in England! We had too many clean towels and toiletries to get through!!....and the maids were always so lovely - we miss you Grace-Ann.
The breakfast was enough to get us through to lunchtime. Juice, Coffee, Assorted pastries which I liked cut in half as you could have more variety! Three different flavoured yoghurts, bananas, oranges as well as eggs and cereals. We didn't eat at the restaurant but discovered Eats ( just about 5 minutes walk) which was linked to Legendz so ate there each night which was quieter and cheaper with a good range.
Crossing the road for us was dead easy - its NOT the wrong side for us Brits and the drivers are unbelievably considerate. There is also a crossing if you feel safer. Buses too, regularly drive past and they can just be flagged down - its a great experience, cheap and you get to meet the local people too.
I had my Birthday on the island and they came to my room with a rum cake - such a lovely surprise and a lovely gesture.....thank you.
The girls behind reception are delightful - we got some amazing information about where to go and what to see. My main goal was to snorkel with turtles in the wild and that's what I achieved thanks to Shawnna- Kay's tip off!.....I couldn't wait to tell her when I got back!
She also sorted out our return flight and boarding passes and another girl fixed a last minute trip for us in seconds.
Most of our stay was very peaceful - we did have noisy neighbours for 2 nights but they take that very seriously and a security guard will sort that out for you as well as carry your cases for an early flight back home which by then were 23kg+
The Sunshine Suites fit perfectly with the Cayman vibe - Friendly, laid-back and honest. We have stayed in the bigger chains elsewhere but this seemed the right place for us in Grand Cayman - you will not get the personal touches and smiles anywhere else, I'm sure and we are already looking forward to a return trip.

Room Tip: We had a room on the 1st level which was perfect and it overlooked the garden (227)
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank amandasims1
Reviewed 28 May 2014

First impression was that of a sleepy little hotel. Don't let the quiet charm fool you, this location has a lot to offer. Not as large or fancy as some of the neighboring hotels, and yet, not as stuffy either! Many of the guests I met were repeat and all seemed disappointed when it was time to go home. Downside - if you are on the 3rd floor, you have to haul your own luggage up and down.
Breakfast in the morning was a simple, usually pleasant and relaxed grab and go style. Nothing complicated about it. Juice, milk and cereal, fruit and muffins. If you needed anything, you only had to ask and it was taken care of.
I read some of the other reviews before and after my stay. If you were expecting the Ritz, you missed it by a driveway. If you want to relax, be left on your own and have a clean quiet room, this is worth it.

Room Tip: Stairs not elevators. If you have a lot/heavy luggage, ask for a lower floor. Be sure to check the...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Caspurgeon

Extremely helpful staff.
The included Breakfast a bit picnic like but now in a self contained building (or takeaway)
The rooms are very pleasant and spacious. There is an integral kicthen area and fresh coffee is provided for the coffee making machine.
Very good value with includive flight hotel offer from BA.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Malcolm D
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I stayed at Sunshine Suites for 9 nights for a dive holiday. It was my fourth time in Cayman and my first time staying at Sunshine. I would definitely stay there again!

The room was small but adequate for my needs. I don't go to Cayman to sit in the room! The bed was comfortable (a must when you are diving four times a day!) There's a big fridge, a microwave and a stove if you plan on cooking simple meals. For those who want to stay connected, wi fi is free and works throughout the property. If you want to catch your TV shows after spending a day in the sun, the TV gets quite a few channels.

The restaurant at Sunshine is really good. I had lunch and dinner there several times. It gets crowded for lunch and dinner early so be ready for a wait. I'd rather have a crowded restaurant than an empty one though! Grab a cold beer or a delicious homemade Painkiller at the bar. Be careful though-you can't taste the rum in the Painkillers! :) A continental "grab and go" breakfast is complimentary. A sit down option is available as well but that is not free. I did not have breakfast as I was up too early to dive, but based on lunch and dinner, I'm sure that breakfast is good, too.

The front desk staff was pleasant and helpful. My air conditioning went on the fritz one night. I told the front desk when I left for my morning dives at 7:30 and it was fixed by the time I came back at 11:30 am.

I didn't have a ton of time to spend at the beach but if you do, Sunshine provides beach chairs and a place to rinse your gear and feet off outside if you don't want to track sand into your room.

For the divers, there is a gear storage area. I like to keep my gear with me, but it's an option.

If you're looking to spend a ton of money for a 5 star property, this is not for you. If you are looking for a clean, comfortable, convenient and affordable stay, Sunshine Suites is the way to go! I'll be back!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank OceanJane
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

This is a little BATES type motel, the kitchen was busted, the room smelled, DO NOT ask for bottle water they give you 1 and ask you to fill it up by the pool in there igloo, SWEAR.. The " Continental breakfast" was a JOKE I have never seen a muffin cut into so many pieces. Spend a couple of more bucks and go across the street. The beach is close but be careful before you cross the street they drive on the wrong side of the street. The island is beautiful to bad my room wasn't . So disappointed waited forever to for this trip.

Stayed: May 2014
5  Thank ATILANOS
gw8522, General Manager at Sunshine Suites Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Dear ATILANOS,

Thank you for the review however I am confused by your "BATES type motel" comment, it seems rather harsh and inappropriate. As for your other comments, the room was immediately inspected by housekeeping and maintenance supervisors who found everything in the kitchen to be in perfect working order and there were no unusual smells at all. In fact we've had several guests in that same room since your stay and have received wonderful comments about that room and about our services.

I'm sorry you were disappointed with our "free" continental breakfast but yes we do cut our fresh made muffins in half (not '"in many pieces" as you stated). If you wanted more breakfast we of course do offer wonderful gourmet breakfast selections served to order in our on-site TripAdvisor #1 rated Sunshine Grill, all reasonably priced at about $10 per person. Your suggestion to "go across the street" would cost any consumer double that price for breakfast.

I do wish you would have voiced your concerns or disappointments to us while you were still in house, we would have been pleased to do what we could to make your stay more enjoyable. We hope to have that opportunity on your next stay with us.

Best Regards,

Wyndham Reef Resort
Wyndham Reef Resort
#2 of 2 in East End
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Reso...
#4 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mi...
#5 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach

Been to Sunshine Suites Resort? Share your experiences!