“Excellent Stay”

Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
Gillingham, Kent
“Excellent Stay”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

This is our first stay on the Cayman and this resort was recommended by a friend and I can see why. The customer service is of a very high standard, the rooms and clean and are well equipped, the onsite bar and grill is excellent. The location is good with easy access to the beach and transport available to other locations. We dive and were picked up at our hotel by the dive operator and most of the tours do the same collection service making getting about very easy. Local restaurants are great too and you don't have to walk very far to find a nice and friendly place to eat. The hotel site is safe and secure with security patrols which, for those with family know how reassuring that can be - although this Island is one of the safest places I have been too which means relaxing with my two teenage girls has been easy.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank 790SharonG

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (405)
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed 13 August 2014

At first sight it is a nice hotel with a nice small pool a block from the public beach.
But it really offers much more than than, as it gives all the beach equipment you may need (diver equipment lockers included).
Besides if you are looking after your budget, the room has a full kitchen with all the ware to cook a meal. The hotel is just 10 min walking to a big grocery. Meals on the island are kinda expensive so these makes a difference.
The staff is really kind and will make a difference in your stay.
On the other hand, the hotel has an excellent restaurant (The Sunshine Grill) with reasonable prices for delightful meals.
I would recommend it as a great option unless you are looking for a big exclusive resort.
We had a wonderful stay!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank sespinar
Indianapolis
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We haven't been to GCM for 6 years and decided it was time. We are avid snorkelers so although being on the water is always nice, it's usually dark when we're in the room anyway. 7 Mile beach is right across the street. We took advantage of the "grab and go" breakfast 6 of 8 mornings. It's convenient and free! The Sunshine Grill, a restaurant onsite has the best shrimp or fish tacos I've ever had! Our room was clean but a little small. It had all the extras we needed (a full size refrigerator and a coffee maker). The grounds are perfectly manicured and the staff is very friendly. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dan-Carol
NewJersey
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We booked this vacation 1 week before we left and this is exactly what we were hoping it would be. The hotel itself is well kept, clean and near the beach. I was traveling with my 2 daughters and one has severe food allergies so the kitchen in the room was a big draw. The kitchen itself was equipped with the basics which worked well for us. We walked to the grocery store and stocked up on water and snacks. I've read the reviews that there is no ice maker at the hotel but it had ice cube trays and we just made ice. I didn't find it a problem at all. Check in was a breeze, everyone was so friendly and nice every time I stopped in. The room had 2 ceiling fans which really helped keep the room cool. I did have to call down 2 times. The first time was the evening of our arrival when we realized the sofa bed did not have sheets. The second time was when the smoke alarm was beeping for no reason. Someone was at our room both times within 5 minutes. Excellent response! There are plenty of beach chairs by the pool which you just pick up and take with you (nice touch). I saw one beach umbrella but it was gone the next morning. I would like to see more umbrellas as there is no shade at all on the beach and in August it's a bit much. The walk to the beach is short, about 5 minutes. It's not the most scenic walk as you go between the Westin hotel and another. I found myself going around the walk thru to the parking lot of the Westin because there was always an employee of the Westin smoking in the walk thru. Just a bit odd but still a short walk to get to a gorgeous beach.
The Sunrise grill was so good! We ate there at least once everyday. They accommodated my daughters allergy and the food was wonderful. I loved the fish & shrimp tacos and the shrimp quesadillas. We found if you have a late lunch or early dinner (around 3pm) there is no wait time otherwise for lunch and dinner there is always a 20-30 minute wait. We always had leftovers to have as a snack later. The grab and go free breakfast was fine. There was very good coffee, juice, cereal, baked goods, fruit and some days hard boiled eggs. I realize people have complained that they cut the muffins in half but I have no problem with that. Try it, if you like it take another half, it's better than wasting food. I made pancakes in the room for my daughter with things we purchased at the grocery store so it worked out well for all.
The pool was very nice and the water was warm (I loved it). There is a bus stop on the main road and we took it to Georgetown for $2.50 US per person. Very convenient. The free shuttle bus to the Turtle Farm stops by twice a day. They have free Wii-fi but it was out our first day and the password was changed mid week, but they did call at some point to let us know (i had already stopped in to reception). Most of the time I would say it worked very well.

All in all this was a very relaxing, beautiful vacation. I would definitely stay at the Sunshine Suites again!

Room Tip: We were in the building closest to the beach on the second floor. There is no elevator but I didn...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank cerj2
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Wonderful service, rooms were great, excellent location! The hotel is perfect for the casual traveler:) I highly recommend this place for anyone who wants a nice place to rest and be close to the beaches, restaurants and the airport!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Lisa C
Bel Air, Maryland
Reviewed 8 August 2014

My wife and I just spent the past 5 days here at the Sunshine Suites and it was absolutely wonderful. Check in was a breeze. Reception was fast and friendly. We stayed in room 309 (which was a suite). We had a full size refrigerator and freezer, microwave along with a 2 burner electric cooktop. The room was very clean and appeared to recently updated. The main office provided beach towels for us. If you wanted to take some beach chairs, they were plentiful and free to use as well. Wifi was free in the rooms, but was spotty during our stay. Housekeeping was good.
The Grill was terrific! The fish tacos are the best, but the red snapper sandwich is a close second. We ate her multiple times and the food and service were excellent! Michael was our bartender on multiple occasions and was very friendly and helpful.
The pool is small...but I'm not complaining. Walk across the street and you are at a beautiful beach! I would not hesitate to stay here the next time I visit the Caymans! It was better than I hoped it would be!!!

Room Tip: Our room did not have much of a view (309) but was very quiet. The restaurant closes early, so unle...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mikeshamokin
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 8 August 2014

The Sunshine Suites are a very short walk away from the stunning Seven mile beach. There are beach chairs to borrow and sometimes you also get a parasol.
The rooms are clean and have enough space, the kitchnette has everything you need, if you want to cook on your own.
The staff is very helpful.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo