“Our "home" on Grand Cayman”

Comfort Suites Seven Mile Beach
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
Denver, Colorado
“Our "home" on Grand Cayman”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2011

My husband and I have been staying at the Comfort Suites, Grand Cayman, for several years now. The hotel is in excellent condition and continues to get better. The staff is the greatest starting with Kaye White and the manager (a Scot) who are very personable and extremely acommodating. The front desk staff are always helpful and the "breakfast staff" are a delight and very pleasant. The hotel and grounds are neat, clean and safe. We travel in and out of Grand Cayman four to six times a year and always stay at Comfort Suites I have stayed at other hotels on Seven Mile Beach and would not return to them. The hotel has many types of guests: familes, couples, older people and Caymanian residents. It is a good clientel. I heartly recommend this facility whether your stay is a day or a week. I trust your visit will be as pleasant as ours has been in the past. And--I'm booked to go back in 3 weeks!!!.

Room Tip: To secure a room, make your reservation as soon as possible to ensure availability. I book my room...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
Cayman Brac
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2011

We stayed at this hotel on a family trip. I called the night before to ensure that we would be able to check in early as we arrived into Grand Cayman at 7am. I was assured everything was in order by a very friendly staff member and our rooms would be ready. The morning of our arrival my family group was told by the front desk clerk Nadine, and not in a very friendly way, that there was nothing she could do about us checking in early and we would have to wait for the supervisor. She waved us away as if we were bothering her. I asked her about the supervisor and she answered me very rudely. So immediately we were upset. Thankfully the supervisor was more accomodating and apologised for everything, and we made it to our rooms shortly afterwards (but a total of an hour later).

The breakfast was nice and I was glad it was served until 10am. The rooms were okay but needs a few upgrades. My other compliant is the noise from the bar and pool area. We did not have a very restful weekend because of it so do ask for a room away from this area. Even with the AC running the music and laughter from down below could be heard. The hotel advertises free internet but service isnt so great. We had to walk around the room to find a spot with a little coverage.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the pool/bar area
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank caribbeangirl1977
CaymanComfortSuites, General Manager at Comfort Suites Seven Mile Beach, responded to this review, 7 July 2011
Dear Caribbean Girl1977,

Thank you for your review.

We would like to respond to some of your concerns.
The check in time for our hotel is 3pm in the afternoon. This is the same as most hotels on the island. At Comfort Suites we do try to accomadate guest where posible with early check ins but with our high occupancy this is not always available..

To check in at 7am is a very early check in time and is also 8 hours early. we would usually charge a day use rate for this type of service of $75.00.

The staff are instructed to respond to our guests and help when we can, I am not sure that a 7am check in would be approved by the staff.

I spoke with you briefly to follow up and we were happy that we could accomadate you after you had expressed your concern with the desk clerk.
We also allowed you a complimentary breakfast for your early check in. We offer breakfast to our guests for the morning after their stay not usally breakfast the day of arrival and also again on the follwing day. We would usually charge for this service a fee of $20.00 per person.

The date of your stay was Friday 1st July and we had a Canada Day celebration at the pool bar that ran to around 10.30pm. This is not a usual occurance for us.

I hope that this clarifies some of your concerns and explains our position.

We would like to stress that we did actually go above and beyond to look after your family during this stay, allowing not only the early check in 8 hours early but also offering complimentary breakfast twice. The clerk that checked you in was simply doing her job.

Thank you for your feedback and hopefully this will clear up any isuues or misunderstanding with our check in times and policy.

Sincerely

Thomas Mason
Comfort@candw.ky
tel 345-945-7300
Albany, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2011

My girlfriend & I are avid divers and this was our first time to Grand Cayman. We stayed at the Comfort Suites from June 6-12th upon the recommendation of friends and it was a great choice for us as we enjoy smaller and more casual hotels. The staff made us feel very welcome and at home from the minute we checked in. We had a one bedroom suite which was very well appointed and had a really comfortable bed, so we slept like babies. Enjoyed the free continental breakfast each morning which had a nice selection of cereals, juices, eggs, fruits, waffles, etc. and excellent coffee. The location is ideal on Seven Mile Beach with just a short walk from the hotel down a pathway without crossing any busy roads. The best part was having the dive shop right on the premises which was so convenient. The staff was extremely helpful and recommended some great excursions which we did almost every day. Came back each day to enjoy some awesome cocktails at the pool bar. There were some nice inexpensive restaurants within walking distance. This hotel had a mix of families, couples and singles during our stay so I would recommend this hotel to anyone who enjoys a casual and reasonably priced vacation

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
Goshen, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2011

Visited Grand Cayman with my two teenaged daughters for a week of good beach and relaxation. Was quoted a price of $786.00 for 5 nights at the Comfort Suites, which was a good value compared to Marriot next door. Arrived 2 hrs early for check in and were given our room immediately. Service at the front desk was consistently good throughout our stay. They were happy to arrange taxi service, recommend excursions and restaurants, provide clean pool towels and accomodate requests quickly. The room itself was ok. Just ok. Very clean. Beds were comfortable enough. Housekeeping did a very effective job of cleaning and restocking the room daily, and were very pleasant. Air conditioner worked well, shower was hot and clean, refridge/microwave/coffee pot were all in good working order. Decor was outdated but that meant nothing to me. Access to the beach was very easy. Do not be afraid of the fact that it is not an oceanfront hotel -- it is literally steps to the beach. Once at the beach though, this hotel had actually very little space. Marriot and another hotel pretty much monopolize the beach area with their chairs and umbrellas, and will not allow you to sit in their chairs. Did not turn out to be a major problem, as Comfort Suites was happy to put chairs and umbrellas out for you upon request. The beach is gorgeous. Calm, warm and crystal clear water that is loaded with fish. Great place to snorkel or just watch the fish as you swim. Ocean there is a little bit rocky and there are man made rock formations in the shallow part of the water that attract fish. Still managed to do ok barefooted. Hotel pool is small and uncrowded. It is well kept and has ample lounge seating. The hotel restaurant has great service and a pleasant staff but the food is only average and pretty expensive...about $75 U.S. dollars for 3 drinks and 3 panini's. Comfort Suites also adds a 15% gratuity onto your food bill. The morning breakfast that is included in the room price is simple but good. Waffles, cereal, toast and hard boiled eggs. Good coffee. Despite having read about all the dining options in the area, Cayman disappointed me in this department. Didn't eat anywhere worth bragging about and the prices were shockingly expensive. Suffice it to say, I was grateful for having Wendy's 2 days in a row, though even that cost me $40 U.S. dollars for lunch. What turned me off about this hotel was the actual price of my bill once I checked out. Unbeknownst to me at check-in, in addition to adding 10% accomodation tax per day, they also add a 10% "service charge" per day. This ended up making my stay almost $150 more than quoted. When I questioned the service charge, they told me it was mandatory and went to the service employees. This hotel took about 12 minutes to get to from the airport. It is located about midway on Seven Mile Beach and is out of the area where the cruise ships dock for the day. There's not a heck of alot going on within walking distance, and though you could walk to a gift shop and a couple of restaurants within 5 minutes, it is very hot and VERY hard to cross the streets there, so is a bit of an inconvenience. Overall, I was shocked by how expensive everything was in Cayman. This is the first and LAST time I have done a vacation outside the U.S. that was not all-inclusive. A few examples: The Dolphin swim at Dolphin Discovery was really nice. We had a great time and I thought the price of $200 (for all 3 of us) was very reasonable. However, the fact that it cost me about $150.00 to purchase the photos (and there wasn't much choice...$25 for one pic or buy the whole disc for about $150) was a turn off. The turtle farm across the street was nice though, and was free with the Dolphin swim. Another day I wanted to do an underwater submarine excursion...$300 for one hour (not including the cost of the taxi to go to and from, which would have been $28 U.S. dollars EACH way). And so it went -- everything I wanted to do, I was floored by the price. In defense of Cayman - this island is a scuba diver's dream. There is so much underwater life to see there. And though I will likely not return, I would say Comfort Suites was a good place to stay.

2 Thank getmetothebeach71
CaymanComfortSuites, General Manager at Comfort Suites Seven Mile Beach, responded to this review, 6 July 2011
Dear "Getmeontothe beach" from Goshen NY,

Thank you for taking time to complete your review of our property.
We appreciate your feedback and we will pass on your comments to our team about the high level of cleanliness and friendly service that your received at the hotel during your stay.

We just wanted to get back to you with your concern with regards to the 10% accomadation tax and 10% service fee.
All hotels in the Cayman Island charge these fees as they are mandatory from our goverenment.
When a guest checks in we have them sign a registration form at check in, this form is signed and intialled as well as explained by the clerk to the guest and clearly shows these additional charges. We would be happy to send you a copy of your registration that would show your signed acceptance of these charges.
Our web site and all booking agents that we work with are aware of these addtional charges, e.g Expedia etc.

This summer we also offer our special 10% discount voucher to our guests that offers 10% reduction on 9 local restaurants ranging from Pizza Hut to the gourmet Lobster Pot Restaurant all within walking distance from the hotel as well as 10% off a Stingray trip with our dive company and 50% off the 3pm Dolphin discovery show as well as some shopping discounts. This is given to all guests on check in and this has been very well recieved by our guests as an added value.

With the beach space for our guests - our hotel has complete access to the beach in front of the condo, and our beach attendent is more than happy to set up a chair for our guests for no charge. This is a service that some of the other larger resorts charge up to $20.00 per person per day for. We feel that it is an advantage to only walk about 50 yeards from the back door to the beach withour crossing any busy roads and that we offer an excellent option to the larger full service beach front resorts that will offer these services but with much higher rates.

Glad that you enjoyed the breakfast, please contact me shoud you wish to return to Cayman and we would be delighted to welcome you back and try and assist you with any questions or concerns.

Yours in hospitality

Thomas Mason
comfort@candw.ky
345-945-7400
George Town, Grand Cayman
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2011

I never reviewed a hotel be4, since i live in cayman, but i was having some work done on my place and a buddy got me a deal for the weekend. It's nothing fancy but the room had a kitchen, living room, and seperate bedroom. Very comfortable, good location, house keeping staff was great (i'm kinda messy). Next time my family comes to the island, I'll have them stay there.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
Overland Park, Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2011

We chose Comfort Suites for the affordability and knowing we just wanted a clean place to lay our head at night. We do not spend a lot of time at our hotel because we like to go and do. Comfort Suites was perfect. It was clean and has a great staff. It gave us plenty of room for grabbing a snack and sleeping. I do wish they had balconies just because I felt we never got our clothes dry and we carried in a lot of sand. I also wish the continental breakfast would have changed up a little each day, but it was a quick, convenient meal so we could get the day started. Stingers restaurant that was on site was also pretty good food and easy to access. I think the best part of Comfort Suites is the location. We were able to walk to George Town ( although it was probably a couple of miles) my 7 and 11 year old were able to handle it and it gave us our exercise:) There were several restaurants and shops that were much closer and the grocery store was about a mile. The water was a very short distance and the man made reefs were right in front of the hotel. It had awesome snorkeling very close to shore. We saw a variety of fish, sea urchins, a baracuda and an eel. You can't see the water from the hotel but that wasn't a priority for us.

Kingston, Jamaica
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2011

In this "great" economyof ours, you want value for your money and Comfort Suites gives you JUST THAT. Great variety at the continental breakfast, hot tub (tho a bit luke warm from time to time) was not over crowded. Pool was vitalizing and always inviting. There's a very short walk to the beach and that's a nice form of exercise if you ever feel guilty about just lounging around their pool deck.

The room was clean and very convenient, the small kitchenette served it's purpose and it you never want to leave your room you don't have to. The entire hotel was well maintained. The staff kept mostly to themselves, but if you addressed them, you were greeted warmly and they're eager to help.

The location is great too, seems we were ten minutes or less from everything. Stay here I recommend it.