“Pretty good overall, with some annoyances”

Comfort Suites Seven Mile Beach
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
Toronto, Canada
“Pretty good overall, with some annoyances”
Reviewed 13 June 2012

When I booked this i was actually a bit confused because I had stayed a couple of times at a Sleep Inn nearby (same chain) which has since changed its name, and I was thinking of that hotel. However I wanted to dive with Ambassador Divers which is right on the property so it made sense.

Price was not bad by GC high season standards but high by world standards for this type of chain property. Check their web site for specials; I missed one that combined some diving with the room.

Pros: Room was spacious, and big work/eat table with adequate light was much appreciated; free wireless internet worked most of the time and staff rebooted modems when necessary; only serious outage was for 8-9 hours one time during the week, mostly overnight. close to beach, can walk to supermarket, banks, stores etc.; kitchenette, lots of storage space in bathroom, breakfast included, bed very comfortable, cable reception and tv above average quality by caribbean standards; quiet. Very good dive shop on the property. Staff are very friendly. Saw some nice stuff snorkeling right off the hotel.

Cons and quibbles: No balconies, no views, no tubs (would be helpful to soak dive stuff -- sink plug did not hold water) Excessive service charge of 10% per night is particularly galling considering nobody lifted a finger to help me with my heavy diving luggage coming or going, including checking luggage while waiting for room to be ready, I had to put it in the luggage room myself, and even when checking out and paying this huge charge I had to grab one of the bellman carts and go up myself; Also $2.50 a day charge for old-fashioned in-room safe is outrageous and no longer the industry norm; Pillows really are too high (I raised my eyebrows seeing this in other reviews but it is true, bad for your neck probably.) Upper floors internet not password protected, would prefer this throughout. Connection adequate for basic stuff but don't expect to do anything that requires serious bandwidth such as music, apps or videos. Plastic pitcher would be helpful in kitchenette to make iced tea etc. Breakfast not fantastic but has some good points eg fresh fruit; could stand a bit of variety day to day. Carpeted floors -- tiles are more hygienic especially in the tropics. Key card system a bit touch and go, I kept having to get mine reset. Housekeeping not awful but not perfect either; however housekeeping staff very helpful when approached for help. Didn't much take to the restaurant on the premises, ended up eating elsewhere most of the time.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank shenatoronto
SalesManager36, Director of Sales at Comfort Suites Seven Mile Beach, responded to this review, 14 June 2012
Dear Traveled Solo;

Thank you very much for your review. We really appreciate your feedback.

I'm glad that you had a fantastic time diving with Ambassador Divers. They are terrific! I dive with them myself. When I come back from my dives I dunk my bc and reg, wetsuit and fins in the dunk tank at Ambassador Divers. I know that Ambassador Divers will also store your dive gear overnight so you don't need to bring it back and forth each day.

We have a small, hard-working team of 35 persons at Comfort Suites for 119 rooms. This includes Front Desk staff, Housekeeping & Maintenance Staff as well as our Breakfast Room Staff. Comfort Suites, as you may realize, is not a full service hotel and we do not have official bellmen or all of the full service options that you would see at the Ritz for example. I'm sorry that you struggled with your luggage. We do have luggage carts that the majority of our guests are very pleased to use. I know that if you would have asked for assistance we would have been able to call our maintenance department to assist you with your luggage. Our number one goal is to assist our guests to the very best of our ability.

Every hotel in the Cayman Islands charges 10% occupancy tax and 10% service fee or gratuity. The occupancy tax goes to the government and the 10% service fee is a gratuity for the staff. This is the policy of all hotels in the Cayman Islands.

Our full breakfast is included in your price and includes scrambled eggs & hashbrowns, waffles, cereals, bagels, breads, croissants (yum), jams & jellies, fresh fruit, juice, coffee and tea. I know that everyone loves our waffles! We've had many positive comments on our breakfast. And remember that thisis a definate cost savings for you and your family.

Our wifi access is complimentary and is included in the rate. You would ask for our secret password upon check-in. I know that a number full service hotels charge $12.00 per night and some of the full service hotels even charge per personal device (oh my). Our free wifi is a definate cost savings for you and your family.

That's too bad that you didn't like the restaurant. It has a fantastic menu. Anello's linguini is my personal favourite. It's a nice relaxed atmosphere and on Wednesday evenings there is the Caribbean Luau (minimum of 20 persons needed) with a small live band. Each of our guests receives our VIP Vouchers upon check-in that include 10% off their first meal (no alcohol - sorry :)) at Stingers.

I have found from personal experience that carpeted floors work best as they provide a sound barrier. I remember being woken up at a hotel because I could hear heels clicking in the hallway and the room above. But that's just my personal preference to get a good nights sleep :). Everyone is unique.

Thank you for your advice about the key card system. We appreciate your advice. I will review this with the maintenance team.

The high pillows.....gosh I'm sorry that the pillows were too high. I will speak with our housekeeping team about this. We appreciate your advice.

Thank you Traveled Solo for your feedback. We appreciate it. If you are traveling to Grand Cayman in the near future please feel free to contact me and I will be pleased to assist. Enjoy your day!

Kaye White, Director of Sales
comfortsales@candw.ky

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 8 June 2012

My wife and I were there last month. Unfortunately the heavens opened up and it rained the whole time:( The hotel is not on the beach but it is only a 1 minuet walk. Free breakfast was good but the best part was diving with their dive shop. Best experience of my life with Ambassador Divers! Good job Comfort Suites! We will return!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2012

We chose the Comfort Suites as it was a reasonably priced, mid-range hotel with Ambassador Divers on site.

The hotel is only a short taxi ride away from the main airport, costing around US$20. Check-in was efficient and quick. Most of the staff on Reception during our stay were helpful, if a little surly on occasion. You have to interact with them every time you ask for or return a beach towel and they weren't always smiley, but quick to help you and efficient.

There is WiFi on each floor, which was reliable but pretty slow and although we didn't test Skype I doubt it would have supported it. For US$5 you could use the PC and printer off Reception for 30 minutes. The PC was faster than the WiFi and it was useful, if a little expensive to print off our return boarding passes.

Breakfast offers a good variety of bagels, cereals, fresh melon, apples, scrambled eggs, fried potatoes, joghurt, hard-boiled eggs and toast. The highlight of breakfast for many people was the waffle machines, which worked tirelessly each morning to the sounds of CNN on the TV. Seating for breakfast was limited during busy periods, but there are additional tables outside, just make sure you use bug spray! The orange juice and water were fresh and there was also a great choice of decaf or regular coffee and teas. In contrast to their colleagues on Reception, the Breakfast attendants were very cheery and it was a treat to see them each morning. Our only concern was the extensive use of polystyrene plates and bowels and plastic cutlery. Evidently, this is cheap but it is such a waste and not environmentally-friendly.

Our room was huge and had recently been refurbished so the carpet and kitchen area were brand new. We had two double beds, a kitchen area with a large fridge, sink, coffee machine with complimentary coffee (heaven!) and a microwave, but no kettle or hob so cooking options were limited and making a cup of tea was a challenge. The Kirk supermarket was a 15-minute walk away and extremely expensive but well stocked.

The bathroom was good, with lots of fresh towels of various sizes replenished daily and a large, powerful shower, which unfortunately leaked a little onto the floor as the shower curtain was too short. Considering the price we paid the complimentary toiletries in the bathroom were a very nice surprise.

Each room includes a small, but robust safe and you can have a lock and key for US$2 per day - a worthwhile investment but the key is small and comes without a keyring. We had an anxious search for it one afternoon and feared the US$100 charge for having lost it. Thankfully the maintenance guy had found it in the lift and handed it in, but you have been warned!

The wardrobe area was open and there were only 10 coat hangers - not enough for a 10-day stay for two people. We managed to get some more hangers from Reception, service without a smile again though!

There was a large air conditioning unit in our room, which was floor based and loudly blasted out cold air. It was efficient but noisy, so a nuisance at night. The blast of cold air it produced was quite chilly if you were sitting on the sofa but it was great standing in front of its cold jet stream after returning hot and sticky from the humidity outside so it had its pluses and minuses. We missed having a balcony.

The hotel's pool is quite small but sits amongst lots of nice palm trees, so it gets sun only in the morning and offers a shady, breezy retreat in the afternoon. Stingers Bar was expensive but offered a good range of drinks and food with very friendly, helpful staff. The onsite iguanas were a real treat.

Ambassador Divers are onsite and offer 2-tank morning and afternoon dives. As is usual in the Caribbean they set up your gear and even rinse it down for you - such a treat unique to this area! Their boat leaves from the beach 5 minutes away and they provide free transport there and back. The shop is well kitted out with lots of diving-related clothing, cold drinks and souvenirs. Chip, Mike and Sarah were very friendly and helpful in the shop and we very much enjoyed diving with Mike and Rhys. We are experienced divers who travel with our own kit, but we noticed the hire kit looked new and well maintained.

Be warned, however about the beach. It is allegedly a public beach, but the Marriott next door and the condos to the other side jealously guard large sections of it for their customers. This leaves a tiny patch of sand for Comfort Suites guests to drag their sunbeds. We travelled in low season so it was quite quiet and there was just about room for 6 families, but I could imagine it could quickly get overcrowded in busy periods. The Comfort Suites provide sunbeds and umbrellas close to the pool area and it was a hop, skip and a jump of 30 seconds to drag them to the tiny patch of beach. The sand is very soft and the beach breezy so umbrellas need to be well dug into the sand to avoid you taking off like Mary Poppins - it nearly happened to me one morning! The Marriott employs a hardworking person with a large drill to create holes and safely install their guests' umbrellas. He was occasionally willing to drill holes for Comfort Suites guests, but mostly it was down to you to either dig a hole with your hands or with an occasional spade found near the umbrellas at the Comfort Suites.

The sea is very shallow but there are some stones near the shore and a small step into the water right by its edge so care is needed. A small artificial reef has been created close to the shore and this creates a haven for fish so the snorkelling was good.

Next door at the Marriott we hired a car for a couple of days, but there was also an independent car hire place directly over the road.

Overall we were very pleased with the Comfort Suites. They are nowhere near as opulent as the Marriott next door, but if you want a more reasonably priced base to explore the island with everything you need, and you don't mind fighting for a small patch of beach with your umbrella and spade in hand, you can't beat it!

Room Tip: Ask for a room recently refurbished as the upgrade plan is ongoing. Take great care not to lose the...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AlisonJCowan
CaymanComfortSuites, General Manager at Comfort Suites Seven Mile Beach, responded to this review, 8 June 2012
Dear Happy Diver,

Thank you for for your review, we sincerley appreciate your feedback and for you choosing to stay with us. We will share this with the team, we are proud of having a Caymanian team and we will work on being a bit more open, with regards to handing out towels. Glad that you were pleased with our services and the brand new rooms! they are really nice and we solicited feedback from over 300 of our guests to get this right.
During peak season we do have a beach attendant who will dig the hole for your umbrella!!
Again thank you for the feedback and we hope to see you again some time in the future.

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 27 May 2012

Sharing the same beach as the Mariott, the Comfort Suites is a kid-friendly hotel with lots of ammenities and surprises.

We were joined by nice guests and hard-working staff from all over, who always had time to meet with us and share stories and help us. We were greeted Quendalyn, Paula, Pamela, Amelia, and Martin daily and would enjoy staying with them again.

Chip, Jason, and Andy at Ambassador Dive shop, in the backyard, were wonderful as concierge and tour guides to help us schedule activities and experience Stingray City.

Room Tip: There is no room with a beach view, but we really liked staying on the West side with a pool view to...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Testpilot71
CaymanComfortSuites, General Manager at Comfort Suites Seven Mile Beach, responded to this review, 30 May 2012
Dera Testpilot

Thank you for your review. We will share your feedback with the team. We all sincerely appreciate your business and for you choosing to spend your family vacation time with us.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 25 May 2012

Having visited Cayman for the first time this week, end of May, 2012, many items during my stay at Comfort Suites attributed to my desire to return both to Comfort Suites and Cayman:

1. I found the smiling staff professional and helpful. I was always recognized and helped immediately and quickly realized, this is not a "cold large hotel atmosphere" but a safe, home away from home.

2. Everyone I encountered was very friendly and not ridiculously polite but almost like old friends. Indeed, I met other guests who have made it their home away from home for going on 15 years?!

3. I found every service needed whether it be directions to the more than sufficient grocery (Kirk's), a wake up call or a local phone number to be prompt and accurate. My room was very clean and contained everything I needed, including a hairdryer and plenty of hangers and easy to use a/c. I appreciate the fact that it didn't take a 5 minute walk from the elevator to my room!

4. Breakfast: I enjoyed having coffee and a bite to eat in the morning. The food tasted good and was fresh and there was always plenty. More than I'm used to at home!

5. Stingers offers excellent food - the conch chowder was phenomenal and the best coconut prawns I've ever enjoyed...might I add very tasty drinks and literally in the back yard?!

Many things to do and see within walking distance. The only uncontrollable thing is the weather and unfortunately I had my share while visiting and still I tell you there was plenty to do and see. The other guests were chatty and friendly and the front porch is a fun little gathering place out of the rain. I look forward to returning and have realized that Cayman is a lovely island, to be respected and enjoyed, with much to offer. I surmise that first time visitors might not expect the somewhat conservative and polite demeanor of the true Caymanians, make no mistakes, regardless of it's "middle of the ocean location", the people and the island exude class!

Thank you for a wonderful stay!

Donna

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
SalesManager36, Director of Sales at Comfort Suites Seven Mile Beach, responded to this review, 27 May 2012
Dear Monquiface;

Thank you Monquiface for your review. You "hit the nail on the head". Your review is exactly what Comfort Suites & Resort is about! I work with a fantastic team of 35 collegues at Comfort Suites. Ambassador Divers, our onsite dive shop, and Stingers, our onsite restaurant & bar, even though both separate ownership, are a close part of the Comfort Suites family. Many guests have mentioned the same fact that they feel like they are part of our family when visiting Grand Cayman .....you are not alone in your comments. We have many repeat guests that arrive every day. I know that you will be back and if I can be of assistance in anyway please feel free to contact me at comfortsales@candw.ky.
Kaye White, Director of Sales
comfortsales@candw.ky
Tel. 1-345-945-7300 ext. 617
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 22 May 2012

Comfort Suites is a very good hotel for the price and location. Right on Seven Mile Beach and centrally located.
As I arrived I didn't know what to expect but did have some hopes due to the rates. The staff was ok but didn't communicate much besides greeting me at first. The rooms were very clean and neat. The furniture and electronics were up to date. I did have a problem with the towels. They all had a salt water scent to them. Even the freshly washed one I asked for. It might be the water.
The restaurant by the pool behind the hotel was pretty cool. Nice set up with a big screen tv and ok seafood pasta. Around the area you also had other eating establishments as well. Plenty to choose from. I specially liked Coconut Joe's the most. The food was great and not expensive.
I will be traveling back and will consider this hotel as my first pick. As long as the rates are average.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
CaymanComfortSuites, General Manager at Comfort Suites Seven Mile Beach, responded to this review, 24 May 2012
Dear Guest - thank you for taking the time to review our property. The new rooms are superb and we are glad that you enjoyed them and felt that you recieved good value. I will review the "salt" smell in the towels. Thank you again for staying with us.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 21 May 2012

We stayed there for 8 nights and had a good stay. Location is excellent, the staff very friendly, the furniture a little outdated, the restaurant The Stingers had good food at a fair price, close to the beach... etc. We personally meet the General Manager who was a real pro resolving a small issue with someone from the next door building. If on your wish list is to see wild chickens, Cayman Islands is the place, you can see them everywhere including some patio restaurants where they come for "free food"... No need to rent a car for more than one day, you can see it all.
Overall description for Cayman Islands, a place where history, modern, natives, exotic, wonders of the world, island, beauty, nature and magic mix all in one. And this hotel is a good choice. Have fun!

Room Tip: Ask for a remodeled room... if any.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest - thank you for your review. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay. Your comments will br passed on to my team. We appreciate you choosing us for your vacation.

Yours in Hospitality