“Best Dive Guide in Grand Cayman!”
Review of Cayman Marine Lab

Cayman Marine Lab
Ranked #10 of 29 Tours in Seven Mile Beach
More attraction details
Owner description: 27 Years experience as the only diving marine biologist in the Cayman Islands. Experience and knowledge are your ticket to the best small boat diving vacation in the Cayman Islands. I look forward to spoiling you and your family very soon.
Laguna Niguel, California
“Best Dive Guide in Grand Cayman!”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

My husband has been diving with Tom for years. I have always had a pretty serious fear of the water and, until now, have refused to dive. Tom has officially turned my fear into respect! He took me on my first dive and I AM HOOKED! Dr. Byrnes was extremely patient with me and thorough in his attention to detail and safety. My first dive experience was absolutely perfect, thanks to Tom. I will definitely continue to dive and Dr. Tom Byrnes is our Cayman dive guy for life!

Visited July 2014
cmlcayman, Manager at Cayman Marine Lab, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
My pleasure to have you aboard and I look forward to your next visit. Tom

Wilson, North Carolina
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The best dive & snorkel guide!”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Dr. Tom Byrnes runs a first class operation with attention to detail & safety. We dove with him 20 years ago & last week he took our family with a 10 year old granddaughter snorkeling with the stingrays & feeding them squid! He is smart as well as fun to be with & makes the day educational as well as exciting! Thanks Tom!
Kathy & Bill Vaughan

cmlcayman, Manager at Cayman Marine Lab, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
I hope you won't wait another 20 years for your next visit. It was great to spend some time with you and your next generation. Thank you and enjoy. Tom
san diego
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Wow.......great dive sites”
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Dr. Tom Byrnes was right when he said he will take us to dive sites that have not been dived on before. We dropped anchor in the sand and the water was so clear you could see the bottom in over 50 ft. of water. The coral was pristine, and not another dive boat around us. On our first dive of the day we saw a scalloped hammerhead shark just off the wall, very cool. On the second dive my wife and myself just explored the coral and all the fish around it. We loved the fact that we started at 8AM and were back at the dock around 11, in time for lunch and the spend the rest of the day on the beach. We were only planning to dive for 3 days but ended up for out for 5, best dive trip ever.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Bajatravelers
cmlcayman, Manager at Cayman Marine Lab, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
thanks guys I had a great time and as usual you were a pleasure to be with.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Tom is our guy”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We have gone diving with Tom several times on two different Cayman vacations. We have also gone diving with two other dive operators on Grand Cayman.

When we go back to Grand Cayman again next time, Tom will be our first call (as he was this trip). We have read the very few negative reviews that Tom has received, so this review is written from that perspective. We have each completed about 40 dives, so we are not "newbies", but we are also far from being expert divers.

We dove the North Wall with Tom this trip, and the sites were among the most spectacular that we have seen. One particular site which Tom said was "Lemon Reef" was the absolute best dive I have done on all three Cayman Islands! It was the type of Cayman diving that I had always read about but never experienced. We only had a 25 minute bottom time, but since we were at 90 feet I didn't expect the dive to last an hour! I forgot to take my dramamine so I got seasick that trip. Tom kidded with me about it...even as I was getting sick over the edge of the boat...and I knew he was looking out for me and I appreciated the humor. It made me feel like he was paying attention to me and making sure I was ok.

Tom set up all of my gear. It was ready to go when I was. There was not enough cabin seating for everyone on the boat, but there was plenty of room to stand or to sit in back... and since we were there for the diving and not for the ride, we didn't really care and we never felt unsafe. Tom gave a talk between dives about the various sea life that we observed. We brought our own water and didn't really pay attention to whether Tom had drinking water on board or not.

If you are looking for the type of dive operator who will serve you home baked cookies between dives, then Tom is not your man. If you are looking for someone personable, with a sense of humor, who will look out for you and take you on a great dive, then Tom is your guy! We are looking forward to going back to Grand Cayman and diving with him again.

Visited June 2014
Review collected in partnership with this attraction

1 Thank Wsnecn
cmlcayman, Manager at Cayman Marine Lab, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Thanks guys it was a pleasure to have you aboard and show you a great time. I look forward to getting you out on some dives next year. By the way we do carry fresh water. All the best Tom
4 attraction reviews
“Great Diving With CML in Grand Cayman!!”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We dove 2 days last week with Tom Byrnes and CML. Although we stayed on the East End of Grand Cayman, Tom conveniently met us at the Kaibo Marina a mere 20 minutes from our condo and accommodated our small group of 4 and 5 divers on short notice. CML provided first class service and attention to each diver. The dives were fantastic and perfect for our group; North Wall dives at great spots and second dives where we could optimize bottom time. Tom’s knowledge is off the charts and we enjoyed learning about the critters we observed between dives. Can’t wait to return and dive with Tom again!

cmlcayman, Manager at Cayman Marine Lab, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Thank you, you made it fun for me; I enjoyed having such enthusiastic divers who are interested in learning about coral reef ecology. Hope to see you again next year. All the best Tom