“Really good”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Taikun

Taikun
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
England
“Really good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

I've eaten Japanese food all over the world (including Japan) and was sceptical about trying it in Grand Cayman but my husband wanted to experience it. I was very pleasantly surprised. The menu isn't that large and not that imaginative but what we had was all excellent. The sushi and sashimi were bursting with freshness and the rice was just right. I hadn't had freshly prepared wasabi before - a nice touch. Service was personalised and attentive. Yes it was expensive but we thought it well worth it - I almost gave it five stars - just the restricted choice on the menu stopped me.

• Visited April 2012

USA
“Excellent sushi experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

Frankly, the negative reviews surprised me. Taikun has absolutely perfect service, as with every dining experience at the Ritz Carlton. The food is very good, though I must admit I have had finer sushi elsewhere in Norrh America.

We thoroughly enjoyed the Tuna Trio appetizer (especially the white tuna with truffle oil) as well as the Volcano Roll (shrimp tempura with tuna). The miso soup with lime was quite unique, as was the fresh wasabi, which is often a rarity. The Sake Amabuke was perhaps the best sake we have ever enjoyed. While the experience was pricey, as with all experienced in Grand Cayman, it was well worth it. We will return to Taikun.

• Visited February 2012
George Town, Grand Cayman
“Expect the finest quality fish in the Caribbean”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2011

If you care about the procurement and care process (which should be the core and guiding principle of a fish restaurant) then Taikun is the finest sushi restaurant in Cayman. They source their fish via Eric Ripert's wholesale fishmonger network - arguably one of the best in the world. Their orders piggy back on NYC's Le Bernardin, Blue, Periwinkle, Seven, and are flown in fresh. That really says it all. It does cost more to get the best fish. These are lowest in lactic acid and taste clean and fresh. In keeping with Ritz world class standards in service, the hand shaved wasabi root on shark's skin is an innovative touch.

• Visited March 2011
1 Thank BoobyPonder
Tokyo, Japan
“Never made it to the food, poor experience.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2011

Entered Taikun expecting an amazing Cayman/Japanese experience at the Ritz Carlton.

But I found the menu to be uninspired (typical rolls, sashimi, etc.) and after 10-15 minutes a waiter had still failed to take our order. I noticed a couple of other patrons seemingly ambivalent towards their meals and I found myself losing my enthusiasm for mine.

Also there was not a single Japanese working at Taikun the night I was there. I know some will say anyone can become a great sushi chef, but in my experience the Japanese do it best and I expected to find a hot shot sushi chef behind the counter.

So I skipped out...never made it to the food. Perhaps this was a mistake but for me dining at this level is all about the environment, the service and of course the food. So when I find two out of three missing I'd rather not dine when there are a couple of well rated sushi places nearby.

Visited June 2011
2 Thank ljapon
connecticut
“Very Disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2011

We were expecting the best sushi restaurant ever when we went to Taikun, in the Ritz Carlton. We were very disappointed. Sushi is all about the rice, and the rice was totally mediocre. Not only was it totally mushy, but it lacked the subtle sweetness of good sushi rice. After I tasted it, I started watching the sushi chefs making the sushi (as they are front and center in the room), and I was astounded to see what I saw. The rice was put on the nori sheets and piled in the corner of their counter, so they obviously made them before the restaurant opened. So, the nori was soggy and the rice was mushy. This is truly a sushi "sin". I have to say the fish was excellent. The rolls were not creative and because the rice was terrible, the rolls and the fish suffered. If you do decide to go to the restaurant, just order sashimi. The only saving grace of this restaurant was the tableside "real" wasabi being grated.

• Visited February 2011