“My Delightful Family Vacation”

The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
“My Delightful Family Vacation”
Reviewed 22 June 2011

It was a very wonderful trip and I really appreciate the service and friendliness of the staff because it really made my family and I feel welcome and appreciated to come to the hotel. But I wish they wouldn't charge you for the in room snacks but I mean overall it was a great trip. I hope you have as much as a wonderful time as we had if you visit Ritz-Carlton Grand Cayman!

• Stayed June 2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (694)
Pensacola Beach, Florida
Reviewed 22 June 2011

I highly recommend this resort the staff went out of their way to assist us with anything we needed. The rooms were large, comfortable, and very clean. The pool staff came around every hour to offer us cool towels and cucumber infused water. The beach was incredible we went kayaking, snorkeling, and jet skiing all in front of the resort extremely stress free and convenient. Overall, a wonderful experience!!

3 Thank TravelGrouper
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 17 June 2011

Our firm hosts an annual incentive trip which are usually at Ritz Carltons, therefore, I've had the opportunity to stay at quite a few. The Grand Cayman Ritz was "typical Ritzy" in a good way. The hotel is broken into two sections connected by a covered walkway over the road. Our room was on the "non beach" side and our view was jusk ok. We looked out over the garden but could see over the trees into the apt. complex and onto the main road and a strip mall. I was bummed that we didn't get an ocean room. We also were told upon check-in that they couldn't honor our request for a king size bed due to high volume and were stuck with 2 queen beds. Another bummer. The rooms were spacious with huge bathrooms - separate tub and shower and the toilet was in a little room. We also had a nice balcony. One thing to be aware of if you are in the section of the hotel that we were in . . . it's a LONG WALK to get to the beach side. Plan a good 5 - 10 minutes depending on how fast you are. The beach was amazing, great snorkeling just a few hundred yards away. The restaurants were GREAT, too. The fitness center is outstanding. Didn't get a chance to do the spa but I heard it was really nice from colleagues. We did take the opportunity to dive everyday while we were there. AMAZING diving! The town area is full of typical "port" shops - lots of jewelry, cameras, etc. I didn't find it particulary interesting since it wasn't really unique. We rented a jeep one day and drove from end to end on the island stopping to snorkle along the way. Beware of the cost of a taxi. They are all privately owned and very nice, however, it's VERY expensive. We paid $20 one way for most trips into town and it's only a few miles from the hotel. One interesting thing I learned about the island is that there are LOTS of wild chickens. You can be guaranteed to awake to the sound of crowing in the morning. Apparently, during their last big hurrican the domestic chickens got blown from their roosts and no one ever tried to rally them up. They are EVERYWHERE! I hope you like fowl!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Twobair
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed 16 June 2011

My husband & I celebrated our anniversary at The Ritz at the end of May, beginning of June. Upon check in, we were taken to the Club Lounge and received champagne. Everyone was extremely helpful and friendly.

Our room was on the beach side of the property on the top floor - 8. When we started unpacking we heard children sreaming next door and banging on our adjoining door. We tried ignoring it, but decided to say something since we would be there for 6 nights. We contacted the Club Lounge and were told they didn't have any rooms available to move us to - at least beach side. They said they would contact the other party and ask them to quiet down. How do you quiet down small children? They were just being kids - having a good time. We never got moved and just dealt with it because we weren't in our room a lot at all.
Besides the thin walls, the room was nice and clean. The bed was not good - the mattress really needed to be replaced! Just as other people have said in their reviews...the TV needs to be replaced (not that you're watching too much tv, but still).
The hotel was beautiful. We have stayed at several Ritz's on the water, and this was by far the most beautiful beach!!! The water is crystal clear. The beach is so clean and white. The service on the beach was good. Everyone was very helpful.
The restaurant by the pool is excellent!
Room service was great. We got breakfast one morning and dinner one evening. Both were served promptly, and everything was hot.
We can't wait to return to Grand Cayman, and we will stay at The Ritz again.

Room Tip: 8th floor beach side
1 Thank jmartin11
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 15 June 2011

My wife and I stayed at the RC for 4 nights in early June to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We had an ocean view room with club access. Overall, the stay was very nice and the service (particularly in the club lounge) was memorable. I wouldn't say this is the best hotel I've ever stayed at but it certainly was "the" choice for a hotel in the Caribbean. Here are the most notable points:

1. Property (5*): The property is lush and large. As has previously been stated by many -- it is comprised of two wings separated by a road and connected by a bridge. There are rooms on both the beach side and on the "resort" side. I would certainly opt for the beach side since the views from the rooms are spectacular and the beach is second to none. The club lounge, however, is on the resort side. I've read some reviews that have bemoaned the fact that it is a long walk from the beach side to the club lounge. Really?! I think the walk took all of 3 minutes and was by no means arduous or unpleasant. Really not an issue.

2. Club lounge (5*): On the resort side about a 3 minute walk from the rooms on the beach side. Service in the lounge was stellar and the food options were very good. In the summer months, when specials are available, I would recommend getting lounge access if possible. The food and drink on the resort is expensive and the lounge will probably pay for itself.

3. Rooms (4*): The rooms are nice but a little on the small side and some of the little details were missed. For example, noticed small rust stains around the base of the doors; the TV (not that it was used much) was a dated CRT. In other words, the room could use a little TLC. That said, the view from the room is 5* all the way.

4. Beach (5*+). Perfect white sand and clear blue waters. Couldn't have been better. The service on the beach was at times slow but it was by no means unacceptable or unattentive. On one occasion, I had to return a drink that was made way too sweet. No questions or problems and it was replaced with a smile.

5. Food and Drink: As has been previously noted, the food and drink are on the expensive side. The most memorable meal was at Blue by Eric Ripert. The food and service was comparable to Le Bernardin in NY and dinner was fabulous (albeit pricey). We also ate at Periwinkle and Bar Jacks which were alright but not spectacular. We also ate at Lucca one night (very good) and the Cracked Conch (disappointing) on another night.

Sp (5*): The spa is amongst the nicest I have seen. My wife had a massage and said that it was spectacular. It was, however, extremely expensive -- even for a resort of this quality. We have stayed at many resorts with high end spas and services at the RC cost approximately 25% to 35% more. That said, according to my wife -- it was worth the splurge.

7. Overall: Having walked through some of the other resorts on the island, I would not hesitate to recommend the RC as the best option. The overall experience was great and it was difficult to leave. The service level was generally very good (excellent in the lounge) and the beach was the nicest I have seen. I look forward to going back soon.

Note: The RC adds a service charge of 15% to all restaurant and drink orders. If you're not careful, you may ending up tipping twice.

6 Thank WhereItsWarm
Los Angeles, California, USA
Reviewed 13 June 2011

After reading some the reviews associated with this location, I was a little concerned about the experience. However, it was all placed at ease when the hotel greeter met us at the airport to confirm our arrival and assist us within our taxi. This might not typically seem like a big deal but when you're travelling with a party of fourteen (14) transporation arrangements are very important. When we arrived at the hotel we were definetly greeted with a ice cold juice drinks to sip while we checked in. During our visit the staff at the Ritz were truly exceptional and worth every cent! We were greeted everyday and provided assistances with towels, rentals, and directions (on the property an off). We dined at the Blue restaurant on site and while the food was excellent (try the ravioli if it is still available) the price (of course I realized this after five glasses of wine) was extremely high--but if your budget can support it its worth a visit. The rooms on the ocean side of the hotel were spacious and the access to the beach will save you a long walk through the hotel from the resort side.

This hotel and their staff really made life simple for us during our stay and I would highly reccomend staying here! Another tip, there are some local food spots off the resort that can save you lots of dough if you consider trying this out. The ones we eat at were Deckers, Legends, and Aqua!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Embargo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 13 June 2011

We had never stayed at a Ritz Carlton before because we were concerned it might be stuffy - but our trip May 3-10,2011 to the Grand Cayman Ritz Carlton proved to be one of the most fantastic stays we have had! If you go just after the end of the high season (usually April 15th) - the prices are 50% less! Rooms at this hotel are split between a large wing (cheaper prices usually) with resort view which does entail a small walk to the beachfront - or ocean front (which is what we selected). When you stay ocean front you overlook the beach, lovely grounds, and get to see a gorgeous sunset every night from your balcony! When we arrived we were thrilled to find we had been upgraded to the penthouse level (top floor). The staff is outstanding and they remember your names - and the food is fantastic - their champagne Sunday brunch is outstanding with 3 types of caviar, wonderful food, and endless desserts. Our package also included 1 day use of a beach cabana. We much prefer this hotel to the Westin (which is a short walk further down the beach).

Room Tip: book a package thru a travel agency
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple