“Loved Every Minute of It”

The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
Baltimore/Washington Area
“Loved Every Minute of It”
Reviewed 23 June 2011

Usually my husband and I try to seek out accommodations that give us a more local experience when we travel, but this time I decided that in celebration of our 10th anniversary I'd book us at the Ritz. I'm so glad I did! I cannot say enough about the service and how much I loved staying there. We had a resort view room (I passed on the ocean view because I thought it might be too loud & busy). Truthfully when I first walked into my room, I wasn't that impressed because it looked similar to another hotel I'd stayed at very recently. However over time I realized that the experience was less about the room and more about the service and other experiences the Ritz has to offer.

We ate lunch at Silver Palm the first day, breakfast at 7 two of the mornings, and of course lunch at Bar Jack while lying on the beach. All of the food was incredible, in particular that amazing buffet breakfast at 7. My hubby is still talking about all of the fresh fruit juice offerings. The staff members are very attentive and go out of their way to make sure you are comfortable and your needs are met. The grounds are beautiful and I felt like I was in a movie every moment I was there. One evening they had to cut the water off for two hours (I don't remember why), so housekeeping had a bath waiting for me (specifically for the Mrs) when we arrived back from the beach. On our last night, they decorated our room with rose petals and it was beautiful. I almost did not stay here because I read a few mediocre reviews that made me wonder if it was overrated. I'm so glad I went with my gut because this was the best vacation Husband and I have had in a very long time.

Now let me just say that we are young thirty-somethings and if you're looking for night life or a party, you won't find it here. There were maybe a handful of other young couples, mostly there with small children, but most of the other guests were much older than us. I was very happy about that because we are not partying people, which is another reason I chose this location. In any case, I loved it. I truly cannot imagine returning to the Caymans and staying any place else.

2 Thank NewYorkDiva

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (713)
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 23 June 2011

This is a beautiful hotel in a great location. It is truly a destination. Service is excellent. Spa is truly world class, and not just a resort spa. Food is great, truly excellent, not just resort good. A destination for the discerning traveler.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank zmoyo
Reviewed 22 June 2011

It was a very wonderful trip and I really appreciate the service and friendliness of the staff because it really made my family and I feel welcome and appreciated to come to the hotel. But I wish they wouldn't charge you for the in room snacks but I mean overall it was a great trip. I hope you have as much as a wonderful time as we had if you visit Ritz-Carlton Grand Cayman!

• Stayed June 2011
Pensacola Beach, Florida
Reviewed 22 June 2011

I highly recommend this resort the staff went out of their way to assist us with anything we needed. The rooms were large, comfortable, and very clean. The pool staff came around every hour to offer us cool towels and cucumber infused water. The beach was incredible we went kayaking, snorkeling, and jet skiing all in front of the resort extremely stress free and convenient. Overall, a wonderful experience!!

3 Thank TravelGrouper
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 17 June 2011

Our firm hosts an annual incentive trip which are usually at Ritz Carltons, therefore, I've had the opportunity to stay at quite a few. The Grand Cayman Ritz was "typical Ritzy" in a good way. The hotel is broken into two sections connected by a covered walkway over the road. Our room was on the "non beach" side and our view was jusk ok. We looked out over the garden but could see over the trees into the apt. complex and onto the main road and a strip mall. I was bummed that we didn't get an ocean room. We also were told upon check-in that they couldn't honor our request for a king size bed due to high volume and were stuck with 2 queen beds. Another bummer. The rooms were spacious with huge bathrooms - separate tub and shower and the toilet was in a little room. We also had a nice balcony. One thing to be aware of if you are in the section of the hotel that we were in . . . it's a LONG WALK to get to the beach side. Plan a good 5 - 10 minutes depending on how fast you are. The beach was amazing, great snorkeling just a few hundred yards away. The restaurants were GREAT, too. The fitness center is outstanding. Didn't get a chance to do the spa but I heard it was really nice from colleagues. We did take the opportunity to dive everyday while we were there. AMAZING diving! The town area is full of typical "port" shops - lots of jewelry, cameras, etc. I didn't find it particulary interesting since it wasn't really unique. We rented a jeep one day and drove from end to end on the island stopping to snorkle along the way. Beware of the cost of a taxi. They are all privately owned and very nice, however, it's VERY expensive. We paid $20 one way for most trips into town and it's only a few miles from the hotel. One interesting thing I learned about the island is that there are LOTS of wild chickens. You can be guaranteed to awake to the sound of crowing in the morning. Apparently, during their last big hurrican the domestic chickens got blown from their roosts and no one ever tried to rally them up. They are EVERYWHERE! I hope you like fowl!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Twobair
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed 16 June 2011

My husband & I celebrated our anniversary at The Ritz at the end of May, beginning of June. Upon check in, we were taken to the Club Lounge and received champagne. Everyone was extremely helpful and friendly.

Our room was on the beach side of the property on the top floor - 8. When we started unpacking we heard children sreaming next door and banging on our adjoining door. We tried ignoring it, but decided to say something since we would be there for 6 nights. We contacted the Club Lounge and were told they didn't have any rooms available to move us to - at least beach side. They said they would contact the other party and ask them to quiet down. How do you quiet down small children? They were just being kids - having a good time. We never got moved and just dealt with it because we weren't in our room a lot at all.
Besides the thin walls, the room was nice and clean. The bed was not good - the mattress really needed to be replaced! Just as other people have said in their reviews...the TV needs to be replaced (not that you're watching too much tv, but still).
The hotel was beautiful. We have stayed at several Ritz's on the water, and this was by far the most beautiful beach!!! The water is crystal clear. The beach is so clean and white. The service on the beach was good. Everyone was very helpful.
The restaurant by the pool is excellent!
Room service was great. We got breakfast one morning and dinner one evening. Both were served promptly, and everything was hot.
We can't wait to return to Grand Cayman, and we will stay at The Ritz again.

Room Tip: 8th floor beach side
1 Thank jmartin11
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 15 June 2011

My wife and I stayed at the RC for 4 nights in early June to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We had an ocean view room with club access. Overall, the stay was very nice and the service (particularly in the club lounge) was memorable. I wouldn't say this is the best hotel I've ever stayed at but it certainly was "the" choice for a hotel in the Caribbean. Here are the most notable points:

1. Property (5*): The property is lush and large. As has previously been stated by many -- it is comprised of two wings separated by a road and connected by a bridge. There are rooms on both the beach side and on the "resort" side. I would certainly opt for the beach side since the views from the rooms are spectacular and the beach is second to none. The club lounge, however, is on the resort side. I've read some reviews that have bemoaned the fact that it is a long walk from the beach side to the club lounge. Really?! I think the walk took all of 3 minutes and was by no means arduous or unpleasant. Really not an issue.

2. Club lounge (5*): On the resort side about a 3 minute walk from the rooms on the beach side. Service in the lounge was stellar and the food options were very good. In the summer months, when specials are available, I would recommend getting lounge access if possible. The food and drink on the resort is expensive and the lounge will probably pay for itself.

3. Rooms (4*): The rooms are nice but a little on the small side and some of the little details were missed. For example, noticed small rust stains around the base of the doors; the TV (not that it was used much) was a dated CRT. In other words, the room could use a little TLC. That said, the view from the room is 5* all the way.

4. Beach (5*+). Perfect white sand and clear blue waters. Couldn't have been better. The service on the beach was at times slow but it was by no means unacceptable or unattentive. On one occasion, I had to return a drink that was made way too sweet. No questions or problems and it was replaced with a smile.

5. Food and Drink: As has been previously noted, the food and drink are on the expensive side. The most memorable meal was at Blue by Eric Ripert. The food and service was comparable to Le Bernardin in NY and dinner was fabulous (albeit pricey). We also ate at Periwinkle and Bar Jacks which were alright but not spectacular. We also ate at Lucca one night (very good) and the Cracked Conch (disappointing) on another night.

Sp (5*): The spa is amongst the nicest I have seen. My wife had a massage and said that it was spectacular. It was, however, extremely expensive -- even for a resort of this quality. We have stayed at many resorts with high end spas and services at the RC cost approximately 25% to 35% more. That said, according to my wife -- it was worth the splurge.

7. Overall: Having walked through some of the other resorts on the island, I would not hesitate to recommend the RC as the best option. The overall experience was great and it was difficult to leave. The service level was generally very good (excellent in the lounge) and the beach was the nicest I have seen. I look forward to going back soon.

Note: The RC adds a service charge of 15% to all restaurant and drink orders. If you're not careful, you may ending up tipping twice.

6 Thank WhereItsWarm