We just returned from a six-night stay at the Ritz for our honeymoon. First, the bad:
1. Prices are SKY high. Like, $18 US for a pina colada high. Champagne brunch on Sunday was $250 US for two people. We asked the hotel to prepare us two box lunches for our off-shore fishing trip, and it was $63. And the sandwiches were inedible. *sigh* But, when you order that pina colada, get ready - you won't need to drink more than two to catch a solid buzz. After a vodka tonic, you are unsafe around open flames. We left the champagne brunch full of fantastic seafood, beef, desserts, and well, champagne. So, you get what you pay for.
2. The walls are PAPER-thin. On our first morning there, we found this out when the children in the room next door awoke before dawn and had a melt-down and continued to scream and giggle for a couple of hours. After they checked out, we were able to hear the new neighbors every time they so much as coughed. If you are a light sleeper, this is NOT the hotel for you.
3. The decor has an appearance of being well-worn. And not in a "shabby chic" sort of way. Most of the carpet and upholstery is faded, stained, or visibly worn. There is an obvious smell of mildew in many parts of the hotel. But, compared to other properties, the Ritz can at least say it is "faded elegance" rather than cheap and moldy. If you travel to the Caribbean, you expect some odor of mildew - hurricanes are force majeure. 100 m.p.h. winds have a tendency to blow water into places its not going to dry immediately.
Now, the fantastic:
1. The beach is gorgeous. We were in an ocean-front room, and our view was amazing.
2. The service is personalized without being obsequious.
3. The staff is polite and reserved - they leave you alone unless you ask for their help.
4. The other guests are polite and reserved - most of the kids are well-behaved, the guests are appropriately dressed, and at that price point, everyone could handle their liquor.
5. Our room was tastefully decorated, comfortably appointed, and clean.
We chose the Ritz because we wanted a romantic and plush honeymoon, not a budget family vacation. If you're looking for a good value, your looking at the wrong hotel chain. If you want a wonderful vacation during which you need not lift a finger other than to call the front desk, stay at the Ritz. Just expect to pay for it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman, a luxury two-tower resort on Grand Cayman in the Cayman Islands. Here, sparkling blue waters blend seamlessly with the sand and sky to create your perfect Caribbean oasis. Located on an archipelago of three picturesque islands, our Cayman Islands resort hotel offers a breathtaking location unlike anywhere else on earth. From the white sands of Seven Mile Beach to world-renowned restaurants including Blue, by renowned seafood chef Eric Ripert, The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman luxury resort offers guests an unforgettable escape from the everyday. With a resort side including resort and garden view rooms and an ocean side for ocean view rooms the property runs from sound to sea. Residential towers are located on the ocean side. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, West Indies, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Hotels.com, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ritz-Carlton Grand Cayman Hotel Seven Mile Beach
- Grand Cayman Ritz Carlton
- Ritz Seven Mile Beach
- Seven Mile Beach Ritz-Carlton
- The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman Cayman Islands