“Under impressed”

Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
Rockville, Maryland
“Under impressed”
Reviewed 2 June 2008

I continue to be under-impressed by the Ritz Carlton properties. My main issues with my stay in Grand Cayman:

1. The food is really expensive and not that great. Our best meal was at Blue - it was amazing! However, all of our other meals were just mediocre. I highly recommend walking to the nearby grocery store for lunch and snacks - they have a great salad bar with lots of fresh fruit.

2. They were painting throughout the entire hotel. We brought our four month old along and I was really worried about all of the paint fumes.

3. The pool side staff was hit or miss. Some days they were really attentive and other days it took forever to get assistance. I usually had to get up to get my own water.

4. I was really disappointed with the housekeeping. They never replenished the soaps or other toiletries. It seemed like they cleaned the room in five minutes.

Although, I probably won't go back, it is a family-friendly hotel. The pool was full of kids and there seemed to be lots of activities for children.

• Liked — Family friendly
  • Disliked — Expensive, mediocre food
2 Thank 658darae

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (713)
Dallas
Reviewed 1 June 2008

We just got back from 4 days at the Grand Cayman Ritz and I would rate it a 4 and 1/2 stars. We try to stay at only the best properties, dont have or like being around small kids and are kind of picky so here goes....
We stayed in an ocean front room on the 5th floor that we paid approx $735 us for so we expected it to be good. The first room that they tried to give us was on the 3rd floor and had a view of the beach that was obstructed by trees, sort of a courtyard view at ocean view price! Not acceptable! So they moved u to a 5th floor middle of the hotel room. This room shuffle that we often have to go through when arriving at the hotel after paying the full rate is pretty much the only issue that kept this review from a 5 star.
The room was clean and well appointed, no complaints.
The beach is great, warm water, white sands and round discs in the ocean that you can float in. The hotel is located on a great section of the beach for walking and admiring the beach sites.
The pools where well kept and lounges were non a problem. There is a quiet pool and since we don't like the sound etc of little kids we went there most days. One issue is that the quiet pool is not on the ocean but near the golf course and so the setting is not as good as the main pool. Really the kid sounds at the main pool were not that bad, mostly well behaved kids and less parents acting in rediculous "child friendly" was than you find at many resorts.
Food....We love to eat good food and since we were not there for that many days we did not leave the resort. We ate at the 2 casual pool restaruants and both were decent (although the food at the Ritz in Cancun which we were at a few months ago was better). The prices were expensive but when you stay at the Ritz you should expect it and not complain. The sushi bar restrnt was very good and we are sushi fans. The 7 steak restnt was good and semi reasonablly priced. The last night we ate at Blue and the food was good but rich and the bill was $420 for 2 with only 2 glasses of wine. After they give the ladies a rose and the men a bag of salt, i'm not sure of the significance of the salt?
The staff is very nice and friendly and helpful and made our stay special.
The spa was wonderful and I highly recommend geting a message.
We took a taxi from the airport and it was easy and $25 each way.
Check out was smooth, they do charge a $30/day resort fee which is just another way of getting money and could bother some people.
All and all I think we would go back and that is what really matters in reading one of these review, which we always do before deciding on a hotel.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Neil-from-Dallas
Arlington, Texas
Reviewed 26 May 2008

My husband and I just returned from the Ritz. We were there on a free reward trip from my company. The hotel is beautiful - it really lives up to the Ritz name. First the positives - our room was perfect and the service standard was very high. We loved all the little extras in the room (nice toiletries, maid service 2x/day, etc.). We really like the food at 7 (great lunch buffet and very nice Thursday night steak and lobster menu), and also at Periwinkle (outside by the "quiet" pool). Best food I've ever had at a hotel restaurant, for sure. The La Prairie spa was a very special experience. Highly recommend it!

On the less positive side, the hotel is a bit difficult to navigate b/c it is very big. The hotel stretches across a very large piece of land, so there is an enclosed bridge on the third level (looks like a long hallway/art gallery) that will get you across the street that divides the property. The bridge, while convenient, is not sufficiently air conditioned, so you feel like you are walking through an oven while moving from one side of the hotel to the other.

• Liked — Beautiful hotel with a perfect beach location
  • Disliked — Big and confusing layout
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank Searchgirl44
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 23 May 2008

We just came back from the Ritz in Grand Cayman and we had a great time. We were there for my husband's company trip. I only gave it a 4 because there was some stuff they don't tell you about and we had to find out for ourselves, like the water bottles in the room with the Ritz paper are free. If
you are staying there with kids make sure you ask about kids prices for dining. Children 5 and under eat for free with a paying adult even if your ordering at the pool. We didn't discover this until a day before we left.
My kids were practically always in the pool and we order pizza's to feed everyone ( which isn't on the menu, either) because we didn't know they're food was free.
Other than that it was a great place, just make sure you get a room on the beach side of the hotel because the place is so HUGE that they're are two parts of the hotel one side is on the street that has the beach and the other is ACROSS the street with non beach access and you have to cross the street through the hotel bridge to get to the other side that has the beach!
They're spa was awesome!!
* Sting ray city was a must see***
Copperfalls steakhouse was awesome and try a local hangout called Champion House 2 for great food w/o tourist price. We got steak and lobster for $19, it was great!

• Liked — The bed. The sheets and goose down comforter were amazing!
  • Disliked — lack of communication of activities and the resort ammenities
5 Thank cnplaces
usa
Reviewed 16 May 2008

My wife & I spent one week at this magnificent hotel in May 2008.From the moment we checked in to the moment we checked out everything was excellent. The hotel and grounds are beautifal and the beach is one of the best anywhere.The staff treated everyone wondefully nad seemed as if they couldn't do enough for us. I would highly recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
Long Grove, Illinois
Reviewed 16 May 2008

Our stay was fantastic. The property is great at a great location, but for me, it was the staff that made our stay so wonderful. From the email I received from Guest Relations two and one half weeks before our arrival to the early morning of our departure, the staff at the hotel could not have been more wonderful. No request was too small or too large for them to deal with - always with and smile and pleasant nature. We were two couples and we stayed in a two bedroom suite in The Reserve - magnificant. Our every wish was their command at this hotel. When meeting staff members, we were often called by name. The cold towels, fruit and virgin daquiries at the pool and the beach were a nice touch. The fitness centre has top notch equipment and both pools and the beach were wonderful. An insurance company was having a fair size conference while we were there, and there was still plenty of room for everyone. No problem getting seats for four at the beach and/or pools.
We shall be returning same time next year!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
1 Thank leaseman
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 14 May 2008

My husband and I spent 5 days at the Ritz Carlton Grand Cayman. We have stayed at many Ritz Carltons, Four Seasons and other top boutique hotels in the past. I will have to say the service was the best I have ever experienced. I would only come back for the hotel. Having been to much of the Caribean, I would not put the Caymans at the top of my list. The US dollar does not go far, at the Ritz or elsewhere on the island. The hotels ammenties are impeccable and there is little reason to leave. The Silver Rain spa is fantastic and many services come with the $30 resort fee. The restuarants are top-notch as well as all the of the other programs offered at the hotel. If you are planning to stay in the Caymans I must insist on the Ritz Carlton.

Stayed May 2008