“Probably one of the best resorts we have ever stayed in.”

The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
Temecula
“Probably one of the best resorts we have ever stayed in.”
Reviewed 6 July 2013

Fantastic!! There were 4 of us, husband, wife, 2 teenagers. The kids loved it here!

Beach-yes, there are a lot of chairs and we never got one in the "front" row. But we never headed out to the beach before noon anyway and 90%of the time we were in the beautiful water. We lounged on the hotel provided rafts and water hammocks. So fun and relaxing!

The staff is exceptional! Especially Jason at the front desk and Daisy our housekeeping gal. Daisy told me I needed to hide under the bed on our last day so I could stay longer (obviously joking). She recommended restaurants in town to us and our room was consistently spotless!

Our room ( blue tip suite) was huge. We used Marriott points which is how we got such a great room. It was the best with teenagers who aren't always pleasant to each other. It really helped having separate sleeping areas. Lots of room for 4 to stretch out. Yes, it was on the lagoon side but our view was still beautiful. We didn't mind the trek to the beach since we needed exercise after eating so heavily (typical of us on vacation) but it was maybe a 5 minute walk. And we were in the farthest corner of the hotel, room 575.

We only ate at BarJack a couple of times and although the prices were high, we expected it. We also ate at Periwinkle upon our arrival the first night at 9pm. The staff called to make sure they stayed open for us. Again, pricey but served its purpose.

All in all, I do not have a single complaint about this property. My review is short(ish) because I would just be repeating all of great things the previous posters wrote. As long as you realize that the Ritz Carlton is a high end resort, add that to the already expensive Grand Cayman, you will be spending quite a bit of money but it is well worth it!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Jeri O

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (713)
Portland
Reviewed 6 July 2013 via mobile

Wonderful water toys. Friendly staff. Beautiful beach. Accommodating hotel employees. Walking distance to the grocery store. Long flight from the West Coast. Very expensive to feed our 2 kids. Barjack food and Seven breakfasts were the best food we ate. Periwinkles was a disappointment. Quiet pool is a good place to quietly relax.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank beavers25
Tucson
Reviewed 5 July 2013

First off, this is a very expensive resort. Why on earth anyone would come here and complain about the cost? There is this thing called the internet. How can you book a room here and then complain about the cost???

This is a FANTASTIC island resort. Really, as good as it gets. There are so many barriers to any resort, hotel, or restaurant to provide a quality product and quality service in an island setting. Island customs, local island bureaucracy, ridiculous importation costs, sea salt degradation, heat (think about produce and expensive wine...I remember once when I was staying on St Thomas witnessing an entire pallet with 20 or more cases of big name Napa Valley wines sitting on the dock in the full sun in the full heat for almost a whole day...bet that didn't work out too well)

This Ritz got it right EVERY time.

From check in, it was very late and the 2 restaurants on property were about to close and we had traveled all day eating crappy cold American Airlines' food (first class no less...simply awful) and we were tired and hungry. Our bellman made a special call to the restaurant 7 to get us a table. When we arrived at closing time we were greeted with smiles. Wonderful start. Best lamb chop I ever eaten BTW with a fantastic bottle of Penner Ash Pinot. From check in to check out and everything between this was a great stay.

Did it cost a lot. Yes it did, but it was fantastic, and every time I remarked about prices my wife smiled at me and said, "If you can't afford it, you shouldn't be here".

The day after check in we ran into our server from 7 and our bellman and both greeted us by name. Impressive. They both politely asked us about our room and asked if there was anything they could do for us. They were very sincere. I'm totally sure that if I had asked them to find me a charter boat to go bone fishing they would have done it.

Public areas were kept clean and oder free which was no easy task as it rained non stop for 5 days. Water quality was good, especially in light of desalinization which can really be nasty sometimes. The Ritz provided plenty of bottled water and there were water stations all over the place.

Nightly entertainment was excellent in the bar area.

The food quality was again, as good as it gets. If you have ever spent ANY time in the islands, ANY islands, you have to appreciate how difficult this is. The restaurant Blue was as good as any Michelin starred restaurant we have visited in Europe. BTW it is very expensive, but not really that much more than any of the Michelin restaurants we have visited.

Room service every day for breakfast was spot on. 100% accurate, on time and the quality first rate. BTW, it was expensive.

Location can not be beat. Right in the middle of 7 mile beach. As good as it gets.

House keeping was spot on EVERY day (well, except the last when they forgot to refill a Kleenex box..OMG) Plenty of towels, Frett linens, very friendly service with no problem working around our coming and going. My special needs son is extremely friendly and loves to shake hands with almost everyone he meets. A lot of "normal" people ignore him; no one at the Ritz did. Every maid on the 4th floor knew him after a week and they were all gracious.

My special needs son also loves cookies and rarely will eat any other desert. One night after dinner, one of our servers made a special effort to get him some cookies. Not the first time that has happened, but it was still special. HOWEVER, 3 days later we were going fishing and waiting for a cab and the same young lady comes walking out the front door with several cookies in a napkin and gives them to our son. We didn't even see her, but she saw us.

I consistently got the impression that the staff were trying to out-do themselves and each other in order to better serve the needs of their customers.

I haven't singled out other reviewers on trip advisor, but I feel the need to address the one by the couple that allegedly showed up in wedding attire without so much as a single acknowledgment of their wedding. I'm no celebrity and I was always greeted by the staff. All of them all of the time. I was always asked when making a dinner reservation if there was a special occasion I was celebrating. When my wife declined ordering champagne before dinner one night the server poured her a glass anyway, "for the toast" I don't know where that couple stayed, but I can not believe it was at the Ritz. EVERYONE, from the reception, to the spa, to the restaurants, to the house keepers were 100% service friendly.

I would bet anything that if you have a bad experience at this Ritz and you bring it to a manager's attention it will be fixed to your reasonable satisfaction almost immediately.

I'm not really a beach person, so the numerous chairs on the beach didn't bother me. Heck, they were empty most days anyway because of the rain. I don't blame resorts for mosquitoes or bugs. If you don't want to be bit by a mosquito or see a bug (although I really didn't see any at the Ritz) DON'T GO TO THE TROPICS in the first place. I lived in Hawaii for a year. Tropical islands have mosquitoes and bugs...lots of them, get over it.

This was a holiday week and the Ritz is very kid friendly. There were a lot of kids. My kids aren't little anymore, but I'm not bothered by little kids. However, if I was planning a very quiet, romantic get away for the wife and myself, I might choose someplace else. That is a tuff call. We ate at Blue twice without our teenage children and there were no kids in the restaurant. Other restaurants did have kids. The beach was full of kids. Public areas had kids. The bar where the music was playing at night was free of kids. The fitness center had a lot of teens. You have to make that decision for yourself. If you are planning a lot of off property activities like we did, then it probably won't matter. If you are looking for privacy with peace and quiet on the beach, this might not be the right place for you.

Room Tip: Blue tip suites are on the far east side of the resort, check out their web site to avoid surprises...
4 Thank TucsonTim
Texas
Reviewed 4 July 2013

Don't get me wrong, its a very nice hotel and the service is great. But lets face facts, the rooms average price is $600/night and skyrocket from there. What do you get? You get a room with a view of the marsh, and the hotel is NOT even on the beach side of the road and the Ritz beach is about a 10+ minute walk through a maze of hallways. You cant even see the water, let alone smell it from your $600/night room. For that $600/night you can get a BEACHFRONT PENTHOUSE. At any of the condos along the beach. These are not dumps. They are $3MM+ condos ON THE BEACH, and BEACHFRONT all up and down 7 Mile Beach. At the Cayman Ritz youre paying for the name. If you want to brag about overpaying for a fancy room nowhere near the beach, the Ritz is for you. Its actually one of the few places NOT on the beach. I go to the Ritz to rent my car at Avis when I go to GC and laugh at people checking in paying more than me, knowing im about to go across the street to my 3 bedroom penthouse condo on the beach that im probably paying half of what they are. Also the beach in front of the Ritz beach strip is PACKED. Total zoo, while all the other places are pretty much empty. If you want overpriced, non beach, non beach view, not on beach side of the road, go stay at the Ritz.

Room Tip: Dont let the pictures fool you, the hotel is not on the beach. Its on the opposite side of West Bay...
2 Thank rockinar
naples fl.
Reviewed 2 July 2013

We did not stay at the Ritz, however, went to the Bar Jack at the Ritz for our Anniversary lunch. It was truly perfect in every way. No one could ever receive better service than at this restaurant. Also, when we were walking around the property, Boris, the beach attendant, came up and asked us if he could help us. We explained we were just looking around and here for lunch only. He was so gracious and told us all about the hotel and grounds, and urged us to explore. This is a truly beautiful property. While we didn't stay there, we can definitely say that Bar Jack was perfect in every way!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank big1pete
Whitchurch-Stouffville, Canada
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Can't beat this hotel for service. Was there with a large company event. Tremendous. You can ask any employee and they will stop what they are doing to take youto where you need to go. The spa was amazing also

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank swoopbns
Westchester County, NY
Reviewed 1 July 2013

We are not generally Big Hotel on the Beach people, but we were planning a SCUBA diving week with our son to celebrate his college graduation and we ended up staying here. It was wonderful.

The staff were friendly and helpful, and from all over the world, which made for many interesting conversations. We ate all meals in the hotel and they were all amazing. Every dish was artfully presented and everything was delicious, creative, and excellent. It's hard not to gush. The meals were expensive, but dining on Grand Cayman is pricey.

We splurged and did the Eric Ripert (of Le Bernadin fame) tasting menu at Blue and it was fabulous! Living near New York City we have no lack of fine dining opportunities, but this was really special and so easy! (Didn't have to drive home afterwards, for one thing!)

The waitstaff in each restaurant greatly enhanced our experiences.

The Spa was extremely nice as well, and even if you didn't have a service, as a hotel guest you are welcome to use the hot tub, sauna, steam room and the Women's or Men's Sanctuary. I would highly recommend taking advantage of this. They are also known for their signature facials.

The room was quite comfortable for the 3 of us, and was cleaned and refreshed twice daily. Many amenities. And there was no charge for the water bottles they supplied (generously!) in the room.

The beach is very nice, the water is delightful. Definitely a place to relax and unwind.

Bottom line: the staff really make it such a warm and hospitable experience.

1 Thank ZoeChloe827