“Amazing Service For Family Vacation”

The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
Mobile, Alabama
“Amazing Service For Family Vacation”
Reviewed 4 December 2013

My parents, siblings, spouses and children (11 of us) enjoyed Grand Cayman for Thanksgiving. The Ritz was exceptional. The service was excellent. We have never felt so special while at the same time never feeling like the server is expecting a tip. The use of the spa and fitness center is a must during every visit.
Grand Cayman is expensive. Taxis are expensive. The food at the Ritz was about the same as you'd find off the property and perhaps a little more expensive, but it was still good. Periwinkle for the kids was awesome, but be sure you have a breeze or it's stifling hot and buggy.
The beach service and activities were incredible. The water was ideal. The snorkeling just in front of the hotel with the provided Zyak for the kids was just fabulous.
Grand Cayman can be hot, but we never felt it. We had a wonderful vacation and will definitely go back!

Room Tip: The garden view and resort view rooms (non-Gulf view) are still exceptional locations because it'...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Tom W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (725)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 December 2013

The problem with the Cayman islands is - there are literally a handful of hotels to stay in. So you don't have much of choice between the Westin and the Ritz. We stayed at both, and the westin was a complete waste of money, might has well spend the extra and stay at the Ritz. It's just a fantastic hotel.
The service is top quality. Everyone is always smiling, and extremely polite. The rooms are fantastic. Clean, spacious, comfortable. The bathrooms are great as well.
We at at periwinkle at the hotel and it was absolutely delicious. They have so many activities for kids in the evenings.
Beach was fabulous. I love their complimentary use of snokeling, paddle boarding, etc, we took advantage of all that fairly well.

The only complaint I would have is the spa. The entire spa facility and decor was great, the actual massage room was however terrible. The massage itself was ok, and definitely overpriced.

Either way - I would come back to this hotel in a heartbeat.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Apekm
Dallas TX
Reviewed 3 December 2013

I think our biggest complaint about the Ritz is the size - it's huge. And with that comes long walks just to get coffee and rather impersonal service. It also means the beach and pool are always overcrowded, often with pampered (bratty) kids. There are a few exceptions to that but, but most staff were too busy to be proactive or personal.

The rooms are ok - nice, but not better than the westin down the road for example. We used points for 2 of the 4 nights and that meant a room with no view (just the road and other hotel to the side). I would have expected them to offer to upgrade for a small fee but they did not.

The pools are ok, clean and well maintained - but the beach side one is often very crowded.
The beach has 4 rows of beach chairs and some cabanas between the pool and the water. It's just too busy with traffic to relax. And the pool/beach attendants like everyone else in the hotel expect lavish tips to do their job.

All of grand cayman is expensive, and the restaurants here are no exception. To get 2 coffees and 2 pastries for breakfast and take to your room or pool, expect to spend $50. (for breakfast, walk north out of the hotel about a block to the "eats cafe" for a bigger breakfast for the same $50 for two). Drinks were expensive, and service in the lobby bar was horrible at least twice of the the three or four times we went there. Blue was very good, at $500 for dinner for 2 with modestly priced bottle of wine.

Valet staff was friendly, front desk was efficient, but the concierge staff generally looked bothered when I asked a question.. and often they didn't know the answer and didn't care to find out (for example - I asked "I see the marathon is going on tomorrow, will that block any roads into town?" they didn't know, didn't care, didn't find out. )

Maid service was good. Our maid introduced herself on the first day and was always smiling and friendly when we walked past her in the hall. Rooms are clean and well stocked.

We have stayed in lovely hotels around the world and are more than willing to pay for a good experience and good service. Unfortuatnely this hotel offers neither. it's just a big hotel with above average offering and mediocre service for a 5 star price.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dottie dog
Savage, Maryland, United States
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Welcome Back! The words I heard from the Beautiful Staff of this Grand Cayman Ritz. A week before my arrival I was contact by Ms. Favella of Guest service to make sure my return for the Cayman Marathon would be a pleasant one. It was beyond my Expectations. The entire Ritz catered to my small group of family and friends. What made it even more exceptional was Mr. Rajiv Venkatesh Muthu and his team at Perwinkle. Just when I thought it couldn't get any better. Oh my what a pleasant surprise from this team. Yes. I will be back. The Ritz has the highest Standards for Costumer Service.

Room Tip: Ocean front is amazing but after visiting the gym and spa on the Blue tip side it's pretty relax...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Mobile, Alabama
Reviewed 1 December 2013

All requests and needs are met quickly by the staff. You are greeted by each and every employee when they see you. You feel that you are their most important guest. Check in was swift. All meals were excellent. Lobby bar was very nice. Large pool on the beach side and smaller outdoor pool on the spa side. Lovely beach. Arrangements can be made for snorkeling, diving, or fishing. Golf course nearby and world renowned spa on property. Hotel car will take you into town and airport.

Room Tip: I was not on ocean side but overlooked a quieter smaller pool, near the Spa. I liked the quiet. Room...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
toronto
Reviewed 30 November 2013

I was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked the Ritz. I had been to Grand Cayman before and had loved the carribbean club condo and with a family I would only stay there or the beachcomber.
I had decided to leave the kids and husband and go away with a girlfriend. We had 4 nights of bliss. Yes the hotel is huge and rooms are not big but the resort is beautiful. I am very particular person and was happy with our renovated ocean view room. I would never stay in a resort view room it is across the street and not on the beach. The service and food were really great. I do not think I would ever go high season it is not worth the cost. A amazing resort to go in low season not cheap but worth it for what you get. I would also only go with the comfort you package which included breakfast and 100.00 resort credit. It is probably the best beach and Most beautiful beach I have ever seen. It is a very upscale island that is very safe and people are very friendly.

Room Tip: Only stay on the ocean side stay on a high floor and also a corner room
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 November 2013 via mobile

Traded Marriott points for a 5-night stay at this wonderful location. We were upgraded due to my reward member status and enjoyed a nice view of the resort view. Our room was spacious and well appointed. The $50 a day resort fee was well used as we went snorkeling several times a day as well as using the kayaks, sailboats, and the brand new zayaks. Tyler and Meghan were very helpful at the water sports booths.
Guest services, especially Mauricio, were terrific. Every need was anticipated and met with a smile. Guest services surprised my daughter with a delicious cake on her birthday. A great vacation for me and my family! Thank you.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family