“It can't get any better than this!”

The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
Reviewed 11 August 2008

Top notch!
We went there to celebrate my birthday. We stayed a week. Got back Saturday. Took a nonstop flight flight out of Charlotte, NC.

We loved the service, the food, the location of the hotel, and the attentiveness of the staff. The water and the beach was amazing! Our favorite restaurant was Blue. We've stayed at other Ritz- Carlton but, this one by far was the BEST!
Incredible!
We will defiantly be back!
Also, do Stingray City and visit the Turtle Farm!

The Grand Cayman airport needs to be bigger. If u go , you'll know what i mean. lol

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank southernbell7777

Reviewed 8 August 2008

As many have said in previous reviews, this hotel is the tops. It is definitely the most beautiful property on 7 mile beach. Yes, it is enormous. It took us a few days to figure out where we were while walking around the resort. We never left the resort except for one day shopping in Georgetown (which by the way is great only if you want to buy jewelry, or insanely priced trinkets that were made in China) The food was excellent, and after the first day I arrived I informed our waiter that I was allergic to fish. After mentioning that, every single server we had made sure that I didn't have anything fish for their complimentary appetizer sample and I never had to mention it again. Every night my friend and I drank this drink called, "chocolate sin" and each night when we got to the table, those drinks were already on their way.
The beach is immaculate and had some cool floating rafts, but we were never able to get them since they had a limited number and were usually snagged early in the morning. Each chair had a canopy, which was great for shade. Water was available all day long, with a hint of lemon, which I love.
Although we didn't try the spa, the fitness classes we did, and they were great. The center is complimentary, which is unusual at any hotel I have stayed.
The toiletries were also great Bulgari white tea fragrance which was lovely, and not too feminine for a guy to use. The rooms were beautiful and the beds were VERY comfortable. I think I had some of the best sleep ever. There was Ritz water in the room restocked every day, and turndown service with chocolates as well.
This was my first time at the Ritz, although I have been to 4& 5 star resorts, and it was wonderful.
A few additional comments. Although we got a great deal on the package, prepare to pay some pretty high prices for just about everything. Additionally, Cayman Islands dollars are worth more than USA currency, so it's an additional couple of bucks out of your pocket. Having gone as 2 single girls, there was NO nightlife at the bars in the hotel, and mostly families. This was not a bad thing, but if you are looking for a singles place, this is NOT it. I imagine that there are some places to go out closer to town, but I don't know for sure. Some people have commented about the lack of personalized service and I would have to disagree. Every person on the staff addressed me by name, and even if something wasn't their "job" they would help immediately without question. I never felt neglected at all.
Order a pina colada at the pool or beach...but be prepared, it is like a meal! If you dine @ "7" ask for Mangala to be your waiter. He was wonderful! Also, the resort automatically includes a 15% service charge on all meals, so make sure you don't double tip.
Overall an amazing experience!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank keirao
Reviewed 8 August 2008

I have a lot of things to say about our stay at the Ritz, so I will break it down and then I will elaborate.
The good: The resort was beautiful and very well maintained like you would expect. The staff was genuinely nice and more than accommodating for any and all requests. The island people were very warm and friendly, and the beaches and water were out of this world.
The bad: The club level access was nice but was to limited for what we were paying. The resort was enormous, which meant tons of people, even during low season. In order to get a front row set on the beach we had to stake our claim at 6:30 a.m. ! Everything at the resort was way over priced. George Town was meant for cruise ships only and the Ritz has really strange taste in music.
Upon check in we were taken to the club room for refreshments which was nice and told that we had been upgraded to the beach side of the resort. More on the essential part of that in a moment. All the beverages you can drink and an adequate amount of beautiful food. The only two problems I had were that one, it was the same food every day so after three days we gave it up because we were longing for some variety. Secondly, the food was geared to adults so our two children would barely eat anything, for $160.00 a day just for them I thought they could have had some peanut butter around!
The room was nice with a beautiful view of the pool and the ocean. Many of the reviews mentioned the two sides of the resort. We took our chances and booked the resort side and figured it would be fine. I'm so glad they upgraded us! The walk over the "bridge" was fine( it didn't feel like a bridge at all, it had frosted glass so it really just felt like any other hallway in the hotel) but if you were wet from being at the pool or beach and and were carrying your belongs and kids it would have gotten really old really fast. My advise it to book the ocean side or go to other hotel. The beach was unbelievably beautiful and the sand never got hot even in 90 degree weather. The water was really warm, the color was breath taking, and the water was very calm almost like a lake.
The problem was that the Ritz lines up there very comfortable chaise lounges from end to end, row after row like you would expect in Mexico, we felt like sardines. If you looked up and down Seven Mile Beach the Ritz was the only hotel like that, except for the Marriott which was way down the beach which I would have expected from them. We got down to the beach after Dolly had come through the previous day at 8:30 a.m. and we were relegated to the second row, no big deal except when the front row puts down there sun shades( which was very nice to have in the intense heat of the day) your ocean view is totally obliterated. I decided that it was important to me to have an unobstructed view of my children in the water so my husband and I got up every morning at 6:30 a.m. and staked our claim, not much fun when your supposed to be on vacation! The pool was very nice and warm. You also had to stake your claim there too but I didn't bother since it was too busy to relax at.
The snorkeling was awesome up at Cemetery Beach and really over at the Governor's Mansion. Unfortunately there was no snorkeling in front of the Ritz. There may have been years ago before Ivan hit the island. Looking for more snorkeling we went on a snorkeling tour. We decided on Captain Marvin's tours. We were very pleased with that experience. They picked us up at the resort which was a bonus since we decided not to rent a jeep like we thought we would have. The islanders are very friendly but were very aggressive drivers and they also drive on the opposite side of the road so we took cabs everywhere. Be prepared to pay $20.00 minimum each way for a family of four. We took the local bus once and that was great because with everything else being so expensive it was refreshing to only pay $2.00 a person. We did the 2 stop excursion, I had wished we had done the 3 stop but with kids you just never know so we erred on the side of caution. We visited String Ray City and enjoyed that very much. I suggest going in the morning before the crowds, we were the only people out on the sand bar. The experience was memorable but it took a little bit to get used to so many rays all over you, my 8 year old daughter had to take a break on the boat because it was a little too over whelming for her. My 10 year old son couldn't get enough of the rays. The second stop was Corral Gardens. Very nice, I could have stayed all day. We even saw Captain Marvin on one of the other boats that showed up at Corral Gardens. Our guide said that he goes out on the boats everyday even at the age of 90 something, I didn't believe them, but there he was smiling and waving as he prepared fish food for his guests.
While we were visiting we took a banana boat ride which the kids loved and rented jet skis from the Westin. The jet skis were really fun, but they made you stay in a very small area. I had wished we could have explored more of the coast line. We also did the Atlantis submarine trip. I was told that the night excursion was better because you get to see more animals than during the day. Don't bother. We didn't see much of anything for $296.00. The only cool thing is that our kids can say they have been in a submarine and got to go down 104 feet. While in George Town we wanted to do some souvenir shopping and found that
George Town was nothing more than a cruise ship stop. Jewelry stores and a couple of tee-shirt stores and lots of bank of course. I was disappointed in the lack of island feel and culture.
I read all of the reviews about how expensive the Ritz was and took it with a grain of salt and figured it was the Ritz, what do you expect. I didn't read anything on the exchange rate. Unfortunately the US dollar was only .80 cents to there Cayman dollar so no matter where we went it was expensive. I felt a bit taken advantage of, every meal at the Ritz was at least $120.00 or more, not that bad except that it starts to add up very fast if you are staying for a week or more. The frozen pina colada's that they served were outrageously good but at $13.00 CI plus tip you are looking at about $20.00 US for one pina colada! I do have to say that even though the food and drinks were ridiculously expensive they were really good. Service at all of there restaurants was great, we never had to wait like I expected to being that we were in the islands. I do have to say that the Ritz gets and F in my book for music in and around the resort. I expected steel drums and reggae and we got jazz fusion and alternative rock. Out of our 9 day stay they had only one night of steel drum music at Bar Jack, when we were in Maui and stayed at the Westin Beach Villas they had live island music every night! As a tip if you are looking for good food at good prices within walking distance of the Ritz go to Eats!! We had lots of meals there and were never disappointed. It seems that other people figured it out too, it was always busy.
The reason for our trip was not only for a family vacation it was also to celebrate my daughters 9th birthday. The staff at the Ritz was amazing at how special they made her feel. They unexpectedly came out with a chocolate cake and a gift bag for her in the morning at breakfast and later they left another gift bag and card in our room! To celebrate her day we had dinner at Casanova's. The food was awesome, it was the best meal we had during our stay( get the ravioli, you won't be sorry!).
The long and short of it. The Ritz is the way to go if you have unlimited money and want to be totally pampered. If you are a diver, Cayman Island is great for a scuba destination. For my money I think I would have preferred a condo with more space and a quieter beach. Snorkeling was good but not what I hoped it would have been. Will I go back to the Ritz? No, maybe the Westin, it was just a little bit less expensive and way less crowded. Would I go back to Cayman Island? Maybe some day, but I think I would rather explore more islands and experience what true Caribbean flavor is like.

Reviewed 5 August 2008

I have just returned from my 7 night honeymoon at the Ritz in Grand Cayman! It was the best vacation that I have even been on!

Service at the hotel was top notch! The staff knew who we were upon walking in to the hotel! Since we were on our honeymoon, they upgraded us from our ocean view room to an ocean front room on the 6th floor! There was champagne along with a huge fresh flower display in our room on arrival! All of the staff members went out of their way to make sure that we had everything we needed.

Dining was amazing as well!! I gained 6 pounds on the trip! We ate at the restaurant 7 the first night we were there. I had steak and it was pretty good. Not the best I ever had, but good. The second night we ate at Perriwinkles. We had pizzas that night and they were very good! We also ate at 7 another night for their all you can eat lobster dinner. It was pretty good! Resturants that we ate at outside the resort were Deckers, Cooper Falls Steakhouse, Eats Cafe, and Margaritaville. The best meal was at Deckers. I had the lobster and my husband had the grouper with risotto. Both entrees were outstanding! Happy hour at Bar Jack is great! A bucket of beers and chips with salsa for $20 CI. We are breakfast at 7 every morning and had the breakfast buffet. This was included in the reconnect package that we had booked. We also received a $100 credit to our room per night as a part of the package.

The beach was incredible! It was hard to get my husband out of the water everyday! The row of chairs that are directly on the water fill up very quick. I would say by 8:00am they are full! There are plenty of other chairs though on the beach but you don't have the beautiful view of being ocean front if you aren't out there early enough reserving them. We didn't go in the pool at all since the beach was so nice.

The spa was wonderful too! My husband and I had a couples massage. It was the best massage I ever got! At the end of the trip I also had another massage. Again, it was great! Very expensive though.

We took part in 2 excursions. The first one that we did was the Atlantis Submarine ride at night. I was disappointed as we did not see any fish and it felt like we were sitting on top of each other for the hour ride in the sub. The second one was the wave runner trip to Stingray City! This was sooo much fun!

We are planning to return for our one year anniversary next year!!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank krisx630
Reviewed 3 August 2008

Just got back from a 5 day stay at the Ritz in an ocean front room. Wanted to share my detailed thoughts with quoted prices.

Hotel Setting
-BY FAR the most beautiful of all the hotels on 7 mile beach, I jetskied up and down along the whole strip and this one was definitely the most impressive
-Hotel is on par with other 5 and 4 star resorts in terms of interior and aethetics
-More families with children than young couples

Ocean front view vs Resort View
-Resort view looks on a courtyard with pool and Periwinkle.
-Ocean front looks on the beach, Barjack, and pool. Definitely worth the extra price to upgrade to ocean front IMO. If you want to walk to the beach from the ocean front room you just take the elevator directly down, from the resort rooms you have to pass through a connector and it takes about 5-10 minutes longer to get to the beach.

Hotel Beach
Beach front is set up very nicely. There are many rows of white shaded chairs which do not get hot and keep you cool from the sun. The beach attendants set up each chair for you and tag a number on your chair if you want to get drinks/food from Barjack. Drinking the tasty pina coloadas and Caybrew beer while relaxing in the shaded chairs was fantastic. Beach food service was a bit slower than in the hotel, however that is expected since the attendants have to walk so much. There are also mini side tables between the chairs to rest your food on. There is a locker and shower room by 7 Restaurant with shampoo and other amenities if you want to shower before you enter the hotel.

Hotel Service
-Among the best I have experienced thus far. Everyone is quite friendly and as soon as you enter they offer cold drinks and cookies. I asked for some toiletries and they promptly brought them to my room. DVDs are free and they also deliver these promptly to your room.
-Room service, in room dining took about 50 minutes to arrive
-I emailed the concierge at the hotel and they set up all my spa/restaurant reservations ahead of time for me and emailed me a confirmation sheet. I would advise doing this because some reservations are hard to get if you do not book in advance.
-Arrived few hours before official checkin, they hurried to get our room ready for us early.
-Incorrectly dialed an international phone number and was charged USD $10 for 6 seconds, asked the concierge to remove this charge and they did.

Hotel Dining
-My BIGGEST TIP is to eat mostly at the hotel if you stay at the Ritz. It costs $30US round trip to get to Georgetown and the prices there are not that much cheaper unless you eat fast food.
-The hotel food is all pretty good and they love to infuse the flavors with truffle oil. I highly recommend the room service truffle chicken club sandwich, Periwinkle’s truffle parmesan French fries, and 7’s truffle mac and cheese.
-Tried all the eateries and all were pretty good, albeit slightly expensive- however it still beat taking a cab or walking in the heat to go somewhere else.
-Tried Blue’s 6 course tasting menu for 2, the bill came out to exactly USD $375.19 including gratuity. I might suggest going with the 3 course prix fixe instead of the 6 if you are thinking of eating at Blue because 5 courses of fish gets a bit boring. If you go for the 3 course I would go with the tuna/foie grois and peekytoe lobster. The snapper wasn’t that great.
-Would stay away from 7 as everything I ate there was not very tasty except for the $6.50 truffle mac and cheese! Also 7 is the same venu as the daily breakfast buffet .
-Silver Palm Lounge is ok. If ordering sushi beware that they use green wasabi tobiko which tastes a bit funny.
-Breakfast Buffet is on par with other 4/5 star buffets. Standard fare of assorted muffins/pastries, breakfast meats, and omelette station. Ate this 4 days in a row and did not get tired of it. They even have champagne.

La Prairie Spa
-Interior is among the best with 60 rooms. They told me during peak times most of the rooms are booked.
-Tried the massage and sea salt body scrub, on par with other Ritz Spas which means great but not out of this world. Prices were steep.

Gratuity
-On all services 20% gratuity is automatically added. You would think the servers would not try as hard because their tip is fixed; however the service on the beach and in the restaurants was among the best I have experienced in my travels abroad.

Recreation
-Clay and grass courts, cost USD $40/hr
-Free beach rentals
-Snorkeled in the swim area and saw some neon fish
-Did not book any outside resort recreation bc I read on trip advisor that the concierge charges a fee. Booked a night fishing charter, jet skiing, and stingray city jetboat tour through Fat Fish Adventures which were fantastic.

Sample Prices (all prices include tip and in USD)
Meal prices include gratuity, 2 drinks, appetizer, and entrees
-Daily room service fee (mandatory) $27.96
-Daily tourism tax (mandatory) $27.96
-2 Spa services (1 hour each, chose the cheaper of the spa services), $438

Tips
-If you are booking an ocean front room, make sure to ask for a higher floor in the middle of the ocean front rooms for the best view.
-If you have an American Express Platinum card and book through Amex travel you get late check out, free breakfast buffet, and upgrade if available. They upgrade different resort view levels but there is no available upgrade to ocean front.
-Also if using American Express, there is a free companion airfare program for business/first class tickets. Do this in advance because only certain carriers allow this and it’s hard to find a direct flight on this program.
-You can buy sunscreen at the hotel store, Cupboard, however everything there is marked up twice what you would pay at any other store on the island. There is a little strip mall with a large supermarket where you can buy everything and it is only a 5-10 minute walk from the hotel.
-I read on other reviews that internet service was not free, but I did not pay anything to use the wireless internet
-The strip mall has Copper Falls Steakhouse, and Indian Restaurant, TCBY, and KFC (only accepts cash); Foster’s Supermarket; Spa; Kirk Freeport giftstore which carries many luxury crystal and jewelry brands.

Would I go back?
Maybe one more time, the overall trip was great and what I got at this resort was worth the price.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 July 2008

We have just returned from a 13 day stay at th Ritz. There are so many glowing reviews about this property, that I thought I'd try to provide some new information.
We booked two "club-level" oceanfront rooms. The club level is on the highest floor( 8th) and overlooks the beachfront pool and the gorgeous ocean. The club level provides you with five food "presentations" a day and is sort-of like an all-inclusive, minus dinner. We found it to be worth the cost. Some details now:
Breakfast ( 7-10:30 a.m.)-hard-boiled eggs, fresh fruit, cold cereals, croissants, pastries, bagels, toast, fresh juice, coffee, tea, cheeses
Midday( 12-2:30)- choice of two types of sandwiches, salads, pasta and/or fish salads, fresh fruits, desserts, soft drinks
Afternoon tea( 3:30-4:30)- tea and scones
Late day ( 5:30- 7:00); heavy h'orderves, salads, cheeses, crackers, cocktails and the martini of the day
After dinner ( 8:30-10:00)- chocolates and liquers
As you can see, there is alot of food offered. Additionally, soft drinks and beer and wine are always available as are fresh fruit and cookies. We would grab some extra waters and sodas to put in our room fridge and take to the beach with us. The costs of drinks is ridiculously high on the island.
The club rooms have spectacular views and the beds at this hotel are the best that I have ever slept in.
STAFF-Can't say enough about the service. As a club level guest, you are whisked away from the hotel lobby for private check-in and the concierge will take care of anything that you need while there.
AVIS CAR- DO IT!!! The first night we ate out at the Calypso Grill ( literally a 7 minute ride from the hotel) and the cab cost us $60.00 for 4 people. Since we dined at 10 different restaurants, we definitely made out better to rent a car. Andy's rental had a cheaper price, but AVIS is located on the 5th floor of the hotel. We told them of the cheaper rate at Andy's and they discounted the weekly car rental. DO NOT pay for valet parking ( $15 plus tips daily) to park. We easily found a space on the side of the hotel ( within the hotel property) each day.
MUST-SEE- Stingray CIty- we paid $250 for a private boat and got to go when there were few other people. Definitely go on a weekend when the cruise ships are gone. This way, you get the 45-60 stingrays all too yourselves.
Sidewalk Curbs- Slippery when wet. I fell hard and broke my camera and damaged my elbow and shoulder. Definitely walk carefully throughout the hotel and on the painted curb when it's wet outside.
RESTAURANTS-We ate at Periwinkle, Calypso Grill, Cracked Conch, Eduardo's, The Wharf, Casanova, Pappagallo. 7, Eats cafe, Deckers, and Neptune. We had absolutely no bad meals anyway. I'll gladly send more details for any restaurant you'd like, if you email me.
We had a blast and would recommend this property and island to anyone. Do be aware of the high prices so that you do not experience sticker shock.
I have tons of photos and would gladly email them if anyone wants to see the beautiful island. Also, feel free to email me your questions.
Kindly email me at tpm430@aol.com as I check my emails everyday, but not always the tripadvisor site.
Happy Travels!

Reviewed 30 July 2008

We just returned from a week-long stay at the Grand Cayman Ritz-Carlton. From start to finish this was a phenomenal vacation. We had never stayed at a Ritz-Carlton before, but given our experience we'll be staying at them in the future whenever possible!

Our room was on the smallish side, but beautifully appointed. The bath was wonderfully spacious with double sinks, separate stall shower and soaking tub and toilet in a separate room. We were on the resort side of the hotel, with a fairly crappy view of a manicured lawn and a field, and were a little disappointed when we first checked in, but quickly got over it.

I have to take this opportunity to say that everyone who wrote a review on here complaining about the walk from the resort side of the resort to the beach side is just a big baby. We were travelling with 2 young children in a double stroller, and really had no complaints about the walk. We've definitely had longer walks to the beach at other resorts, and they've never been through an air conditioned hallway filled with art and jewelry on display! Also, the children loved to get out of the stroller and RUN down the hall to the beach, so it helped them blow off some steam.

The (main) pool area and beach were beautiful and well-maintained. We did have trouble finding chairs a few days, but the RC staff was always there to help us out and track down chairs and set them up for us, even find an umbrella for us when we couldn't find one. Truthfully, I'm not sure why we bother - with 2 kids under 5 it's not exactly as if we spend any time sitting down anyway! The beach was rocky the first day, but by the second day we moved more toward the middle of the Ritz's beach and it was perfect. The sand is beautiful and white (and doesn't get hot on little feet!) and the water was calm and clear (we could even see our shadows underwater). There were giant stationary rafts you could swim out to, and we spent one of our best days lounging on one with the children. There were also individual foam rafts available to hotel guests and we floated around at the beach and pool on those. We didn't spend any time during the day at the "quiet" pool, but we did take our swimsuits along to dinner at Periwinkle and go for a night swim over there several days. Both pools on the property have a wonderful ledge that runs around the perimeter. The ledges are about 6 feet wide and about 6" deep and really nice for when Mom just wants to sit with her feet in the pool (or for the kids to walk around the edge of the pool over and over and over and over . . .)

We ate on property pretty much the entire week. Breakfast buffet at 7 most mornings, lunch by the pool or at Periwinkle and dinner at Periwinkle. They don't make a huge deal out of it but kids under 5 eat free anywhere on the resort when accompanied by a paying adult, so be sure to mention your children's ages when ordering. We saw lots of complaints about prices on here before we went, but we were really pleased with the prices. I mean, you know you're going to a resort so you have to be at least a little prepared for it. Lunch by the pool (massive chicken nachos, a wrap, 2 frozen drinks and 2 chicken finger meals for the kids complete with fruit, fries, cookie and milk) ran us about $60US and we really didn't think that was horrible. Also, the kids' menu was developed by someone who actually knows what real kids want (pb&j, hamburger, hotdog, pizza, etc.). I don't know about you, but our kids wouldn't go near a piece of grilled fish or steamed vegetables like we've seen on some kids' menus. We only ate off property once the whole week and that was to go to Eats for breakfast. It is located right next to the Ritz on the resort side, BUT if you walk there on the resort side there is not only no sidewalk, but no shoulder either, so we were walking in traffic with a double stroller to get a cheap breakfast. Breakfast was pretty good and the prices really were great, but we decided it wasn't worth playing Frogger in traffic with our girls to save a few bucks.

Now to my favorite topic - the hotel staff. I can not say enough about this magnificent staff of over 1000. We did not encounter one single person the entire week who didn't greet us with a smile. We had conversations with so many of the staff over the course of the week, and many of them spoke directly to our children in a way you rarely find outside your own family. My older daughter has this need to drag around these tiny little plastic dinosaurs with her (sigh). When we went to Periwinkle on our first night there, she was a little tired from travelling and frankly a little grumpy, but Clinton started talking to her and asked what he could do to make her smile. She said her dinosaurs were maybe a little hungry. He smiled and disappeared, only to return with a bread plate covered in grass he had run outside to retrieve, small flowers and some leaves. She definitely smiled that night. She also became friends with Thea at 7, who is the sweetest woman ever. They greeted each other with a hug each day and Thea would even go out to the beach on her breaks to say hi to my daughter. When we left, Thea and my daughter took pictures of each other and Thea gave both my daughters Tshirts to remember her by.

We had also heard complaints about housekeeping, and I really can't imagine what that was about. The first day there, we called housekeeping on our way out the door for breakfast and asked to have the room cleaned within the hour. They complied and we never had to call them again the rest of the week. They completely change the beds every day - something most hotels don't do anymore. They also came a second time each day for turndown service and we loved having the room made up and getting fresh towels twice a day.

In short, this truly was paradise. This resort welcomed us and especially our children with open arms and we never felt those dissaproving please-control-your-children-eyes the whole time we were there. The rooms were beautifully appointed, well maintained and clean. The grounds were beautiful and easy to negotiate. The pool and beach area were flawless and left nothing to be desired. Food on the resort was very good and not as expensive as we had been led to believe (with kids eating free). The staff was out of this world, and we really felt as if they were happy to see us come and sorry to see us go. We would go back tomorrow if we could!

1  Thank travelingmomof2