“We didn't want to go home!”

The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
Reviewed 13 August 2008

We haven't stayed at a Ritz-Carlton before (usually stay at Marriott resorts), so we can't compare this to others, but this was the best place we have ever stayed at!

Yes it was expensive, but the service and facilities were great. When we checked in, they already knew our names. I'm still trying to figure that out. After flying in to Grand Cayman, I don't remember telling anyone our names. I thought they might be far from full, given that we were there during the low season, but they appeared to be full. We were celebrating our anniversary, and they did many things to help make it special--they upgraded our rooms, gave us champagne (good champagne), flowers, special room decorations, and more champagne. I think I missed something, with all they did. The manager of Blue (purportedly the best restaurant on the island) called us to see if he could help with any reservations.

The water there was calm, clear, and clean! The sand on the beach was not hot, despite it being close to 90' the whole time we were there. The lounge chairs (no charge) they have there are very nice, with a hood or bonnet that helped keep me from burning. The beach attendants were very helpful in finding available chairs and in setting them up with towels. And, they checked back often to see if you needed anything. In walking up and down the beach, it seemed like the only really busy place was the Ritz.

We ate several times at the "7" restaurant there--mainly for breakfast and lunch. The service and food was very good. There is always a buffet for breakfast (CI$25=US$30), that has just about anything you would want. However, we opted for less expensive items from the menu. We also ate dinner at Edwardo's (only about 1 block from the hotel) and at Ragazzi's. Both of which were very good. There is also a small shopping center called "The Strand" within walking distance (about 2 blocks up the street towards George Town), that has a grocery store, and liquor and wine stores (the only wine store we found). There is no problem drinking the water on the island, like there are on many other islands in the Caribbean. Don't plan on doing much around the island on Sunday, as almost everything is closed--we did however, go on the Atlantis submarine on Sunday, which was very fun.

We originally planned to rent a car, but decided not to because we were very tired and didn't know how much we would do. And, we read that there were regular buses, that went down the main road--we didn't see one the whole time we were there. Despite the problem of driving on the right, I now wished we had rented a car. The taxi fees did add up. It was about US$18-20 each way to Georg Town.

We loved the ocean there, and despite reading about mosquitoes and gnats, we generally didn't see any. The water is warm and we also didn't see any jelly fish there. This island is different than most of the other Caribbean islands, in that there is quite a diversity of people (from Canada, England, Ireland, Jamaica, etc.), and their standard of living is obviously better than you generally find on other islands. We have been to many beach resorts, and this is our favorite--we didn't want to leave!

1  Thank Atl_traveler007
There are newer reviews for The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman

Reviewed 13 August 2008

Anyone traveling without children looking for a relaxing vacation should read this review first.

My wife and I after months of research settled on the Ritz Cartton Grand Cayman for a last relaxing vacation before our first child is born in January.

We booked the vacation directly through the Ritz Carlton and went with the Reconnect Package that provided us with breakfast daily and $100 resort credit per day. This is package was well worth the investment. As others have mentioned the island is very expensive breakfast ,alone without this package breakfast would have been around $75 US every day at their buffet.

We had a resort side room over looking what we thought was the "Quiet Pool". No problem with the room or the location it was about a 5 minute walk to the beach. Although if you do have problems walking I would strongly consider staying on the beach side.

After our unpacking we ventured to the "Quiet Pool" for a chance to relax and begin our vacation. The pool was anything but quiet with screaming kids and loud parents making the pool scene look like something out of Wally World. When we questioned one of the staff they stated that because the resort had received so many complaints from parents who were upset that they had to keep their children from yelling and screaming that it was not worth the fight and they decided to make it a free for all.

This was bascially the scene throughout the resort. Self indulgent parents with spoiled unsupervised children basically doing as they pleased throughout the resort with the Ritz staff unable or unwilling to control the situation. Many of the staff told us that they would not under any circumstances vacation here if they were simply looking to relax without children, and that the resort has not been able to come up with the best policy to police the situation, but that so many children have been hurt due to them running and jumping around the pool area and the many complaints they receive from people looking to relax that they are aware they have a problem.

The beach side pool was a three ring circus and was completely off limits to adults looking to relax. Kids jumping off of the ledges, surfing on the matts, screaming parents and kids...just an absolute mess of scene.

We finally settled on the beach where we could find the most peace and spent most of our time there laughing and observing the circus around us.

We felt really bad for anyone there on a honeymoon.

Have traveled quite a bit this behavior seems to be most common in American parents for some reason although we did see some European parents who may have read the same memo. All I can say is that when you see this type of behavior it is embarrassing as an American and to think what other people from other countries must think of us. Not that many of these parents would care since it appears most of them live in another world with not a care at all of what goes on around them.

Having said all that we made the best of the situation and had a nice time. The staff, hotel, beach, and food were terrific.

6  Thank NJLB
Reviewed 12 August 2008

We had the privilege of staying at both the Ritz Carlton AND the Grand Cayman Beach Suites (formerly the Hyatt, but the locals still call it the Hyatt) during our week-long stay this summer. It was our first stay in Grand Cayman and we had a great experience at both resorts -- each offered their strengths and had a few drawbacks. We are not rich, but we travel as often as possible and have stayed in a variety of places in the past.

As far as the Ritz goes, there is absolutely perfect service there, beginning with the concierge who personally walks you to your room and shows you around if you want. Our luggage was delivered without even having to make a call. When you go to the beach or pool, they set you up on covered chairs and you don't have to even touch a towel. We mentioned our recent engagement and while we swam in the ocean, there were two splits of champagne on ice and a bunch of strawberries delivered to our chair-side. What an incredible welcome! We found the on-site car rental to be quite handy and reasonable, while the concierge was awesome and took care of everything else we needed to schedule (excursions, restaurants, directions, etc.).

Our routine was usually to sleep in, cruise out to the beach for a few hours and then move back to the pool later in the afternoon where there was a bit more shade. On the days where we ventured out, we found parking and driving to be a cinch. If you want to save a few bucks and you are not on a tight schedule, there is a "bus system" (more like vans) that will take you anywhere for two bucks if you stand by the main street and flag them down. No schedule or official stops, just wave or look when they honk. Also on the topic of saving a few bucks, we bought our own beer, liquor, and a small cooler at a nearby grocery store and, in a very subtle way, took these with us down to the beach when we felt the need. We are only teachers, so we found the resort drinks to be expensive (12-16 dollars each), but worth the splurge every once in awhile. There is also a local restaurant right across the street and down a block (across from the Westin) called "Eats". Fabulous, very casual breakfast and lunch (we ate both there on separate occasions) for reasonable prices if you need a break from the resort food prices. You'll have to fight through a long line of other well-informed travelers and locals, but our ten minute wait was worth it and the service was great.

Drawbacks we found at the Ritz include:
1) Large number of children. Great for families, not so great for a pair of teachers on summer break trying to enjoy a romantic trip to celebrate our engagement. We love kids and my fiance has two children she was able to make arrangements for back at home -- but I don't know how everyone can afford to bring their large families for extended stays at these fine resorts. That being said, we never heard too much screaming or crying, even at the beach and pool. Just a lot of rug rats bumping into our ankles when we walked around.

2) Size. It is also a very large resort for this island, so there are crowds in some places. We went during off season so we didn't have too many problems, but the rafts and snorkeling equipment that are included in your resort fee are usually all gone by 9:00 a.m. It is also quite far to go to some restaurants, but everything is covered and air conditioned so no big deal. We needed the exercise to counteract all of the relaxing we did.

3) Price. Expensive, but we found it to be worth every penny. We could only afford a few days in the off season (by the way weather was not an issue at all -- warm and humid, but no different from Hawaii or St. Lucia), but we feel lucky to have stayed here for the once in a lifetime experience we had. My advice is to pay a little extra for a oceanfront room, the other rooms are way across the street in what looks like a separate resort and they don't offer the breathtaking views. We are glad we did this and the attached pictures are from the balcony of our oceanfront room.

4) Room size. Rooms are spacious and plenty big for a couple. Bigger than most hotels. Finely decorated and great quality furnishings. But if you need more room, there are several other hotels on the island, including the Hyatt where we also stayed, that have much larger rooms and suites for less money. Not as fancy, but really nice and better dollar to square foot ratio if that is an issue for you.

Hope you have the same experience we did. We enjoyed almost every moment at the Ritz!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
6  Thank yo_bman
Reviewed 11 August 2008

Top notch!
We went there to celebrate my birthday. We stayed a week. Got back Saturday. Took a nonstop flight flight out of Charlotte, NC.

We loved the service, the food, the location of the hotel, and the attentiveness of the staff. The water and the beach was amazing! Our favorite restaurant was Blue. We've stayed at other Ritz- Carlton but, this one by far was the BEST!
Incredible!
We will defiantly be back!
Also, do Stingray City and visit the Turtle Farm!

The Grand Cayman airport needs to be bigger. If u go , you'll know what i mean. lol

1  Thank southernbell7777
Reviewed 8 August 2008

As many have said in previous reviews, this hotel is the tops. It is definitely the most beautiful property on 7 mile beach. Yes, it is enormous. It took us a few days to figure out where we were while walking around the resort. We never left the resort except for one day shopping in Georgetown (which by the way is great only if you want to buy jewelry, or insanely priced trinkets that were made in China) The food was excellent, and after the first day I arrived I informed our waiter that I was allergic to fish. After mentioning that, every single server we had made sure that I didn't have anything fish for their complimentary appetizer sample and I never had to mention it again. Every night my friend and I drank this drink called, "chocolate sin" and each night when we got to the table, those drinks were already on their way.
The beach is immaculate and had some cool floating rafts, but we were never able to get them since they had a limited number and were usually snagged early in the morning. Each chair had a canopy, which was great for shade. Water was available all day long, with a hint of lemon, which I love.
Although we didn't try the spa, the fitness classes we did, and they were great. The center is complimentary, which is unusual at any hotel I have stayed.
The toiletries were also great Bulgari white tea fragrance which was lovely, and not too feminine for a guy to use. The rooms were beautiful and the beds were VERY comfortable. I think I had some of the best sleep ever. There was Ritz water in the room restocked every day, and turndown service with chocolates as well.
This was my first time at the Ritz, although I have been to 4& 5 star resorts, and it was wonderful.
A few additional comments. Although we got a great deal on the package, prepare to pay some pretty high prices for just about everything. Additionally, Cayman Islands dollars are worth more than USA currency, so it's an additional couple of bucks out of your pocket. Having gone as 2 single girls, there was NO nightlife at the bars in the hotel, and mostly families. This was not a bad thing, but if you are looking for a singles place, this is NOT it. I imagine that there are some places to go out closer to town, but I don't know for sure. Some people have commented about the lack of personalized service and I would have to disagree. Every person on the staff addressed me by name, and even if something wasn't their "job" they would help immediately without question. I never felt neglected at all.
Order a pina colada at the pool or beach...but be prepared, it is like a meal! If you dine @ "7" ask for Mangala to be your waiter. He was wonderful! Also, the resort automatically includes a 15% service charge on all meals, so make sure you don't double tip.
Overall an amazing experience!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank keirao
Reviewed 8 August 2008

I have a lot of things to say about our stay at the Ritz, so I will break it down and then I will elaborate.
The good: The resort was beautiful and very well maintained like you would expect. The staff was genuinely nice and more than accommodating for any and all requests. The island people were very warm and friendly, and the beaches and water were out of this world.
The bad: The club level access was nice but was to limited for what we were paying. The resort was enormous, which meant tons of people, even during low season. In order to get a front row set on the beach we had to stake our claim at 6:30 a.m. ! Everything at the resort was way over priced. George Town was meant for cruise ships only and the Ritz has really strange taste in music.
Upon check in we were taken to the club room for refreshments which was nice and told that we had been upgraded to the beach side of the resort. More on the essential part of that in a moment. All the beverages you can drink and an adequate amount of beautiful food. The only two problems I had were that one, it was the same food every day so after three days we gave it up because we were longing for some variety. Secondly, the food was geared to adults so our two children would barely eat anything, for $160.00 a day just for them I thought they could have had some peanut butter around!
The room was nice with a beautiful view of the pool and the ocean. Many of the reviews mentioned the two sides of the resort. We took our chances and booked the resort side and figured it would be fine. I'm so glad they upgraded us! The walk over the "bridge" was fine( it didn't feel like a bridge at all, it had frosted glass so it really just felt like any other hallway in the hotel) but if you were wet from being at the pool or beach and and were carrying your belongs and kids it would have gotten really old really fast. My advise it to book the ocean side or go to other hotel. The beach was unbelievably beautiful and the sand never got hot even in 90 degree weather. The water was really warm, the color was breath taking, and the water was very calm almost like a lake.
The problem was that the Ritz lines up there very comfortable chaise lounges from end to end, row after row like you would expect in Mexico, we felt like sardines. If you looked up and down Seven Mile Beach the Ritz was the only hotel like that, except for the Marriott which was way down the beach which I would have expected from them. We got down to the beach after Dolly had come through the previous day at 8:30 a.m. and we were relegated to the second row, no big deal except when the front row puts down there sun shades( which was very nice to have in the intense heat of the day) your ocean view is totally obliterated. I decided that it was important to me to have an unobstructed view of my children in the water so my husband and I got up every morning at 6:30 a.m. and staked our claim, not much fun when your supposed to be on vacation! The pool was very nice and warm. You also had to stake your claim there too but I didn't bother since it was too busy to relax at.
The snorkeling was awesome up at Cemetery Beach and really over at the Governor's Mansion. Unfortunately there was no snorkeling in front of the Ritz. There may have been years ago before Ivan hit the island. Looking for more snorkeling we went on a snorkeling tour. We decided on Captain Marvin's tours. We were very pleased with that experience. They picked us up at the resort which was a bonus since we decided not to rent a jeep like we thought we would have. The islanders are very friendly but were very aggressive drivers and they also drive on the opposite side of the road so we took cabs everywhere. Be prepared to pay $20.00 minimum each way for a family of four. We took the local bus once and that was great because with everything else being so expensive it was refreshing to only pay $2.00 a person. We did the 2 stop excursion, I had wished we had done the 3 stop but with kids you just never know so we erred on the side of caution. We visited String Ray City and enjoyed that very much. I suggest going in the morning before the crowds, we were the only people out on the sand bar. The experience was memorable but it took a little bit to get used to so many rays all over you, my 8 year old daughter had to take a break on the boat because it was a little too over whelming for her. My 10 year old son couldn't get enough of the rays. The second stop was Corral Gardens. Very nice, I could have stayed all day. We even saw Captain Marvin on one of the other boats that showed up at Corral Gardens. Our guide said that he goes out on the boats everyday even at the age of 90 something, I didn't believe them, but there he was smiling and waving as he prepared fish food for his guests.
While we were visiting we took a banana boat ride which the kids loved and rented jet skis from the Westin. The jet skis were really fun, but they made you stay in a very small area. I had wished we could have explored more of the coast line. We also did the Atlantis submarine trip. I was told that the night excursion was better because you get to see more animals than during the day. Don't bother. We didn't see much of anything for $296.00. The only cool thing is that our kids can say they have been in a submarine and got to go down 104 feet. While in George Town we wanted to do some souvenir shopping and found that
George Town was nothing more than a cruise ship stop. Jewelry stores and a couple of tee-shirt stores and lots of bank of course. I was disappointed in the lack of island feel and culture.
I read all of the reviews about how expensive the Ritz was and took it with a grain of salt and figured it was the Ritz, what do you expect. I didn't read anything on the exchange rate. Unfortunately the US dollar was only .80 cents to there Cayman dollar so no matter where we went it was expensive. I felt a bit taken advantage of, every meal at the Ritz was at least $120.00 or more, not that bad except that it starts to add up very fast if you are staying for a week or more. The frozen pina colada's that they served were outrageously good but at $13.00 CI plus tip you are looking at about $20.00 US for one pina colada! I do have to say that even though the food and drinks were ridiculously expensive they were really good. Service at all of there restaurants was great, we never had to wait like I expected to being that we were in the islands. I do have to say that the Ritz gets and F in my book for music in and around the resort. I expected steel drums and reggae and we got jazz fusion and alternative rock. Out of our 9 day stay they had only one night of steel drum music at Bar Jack, when we were in Maui and stayed at the Westin Beach Villas they had live island music every night! As a tip if you are looking for good food at good prices within walking distance of the Ritz go to Eats!! We had lots of meals there and were never disappointed. It seems that other people figured it out too, it was always busy.
The reason for our trip was not only for a family vacation it was also to celebrate my daughters 9th birthday. The staff at the Ritz was amazing at how special they made her feel. They unexpectedly came out with a chocolate cake and a gift bag for her in the morning at breakfast and later they left another gift bag and card in our room! To celebrate her day we had dinner at Casanova's. The food was awesome, it was the best meal we had during our stay( get the ravioli, you won't be sorry!).
The long and short of it. The Ritz is the way to go if you have unlimited money and want to be totally pampered. If you are a diver, Cayman Island is great for a scuba destination. For my money I think I would have preferred a condo with more space and a quieter beach. Snorkeling was good but not what I hoped it would have been. Will I go back to the Ritz? No, maybe the Westin, it was just a little bit less expensive and way less crowded. Would I go back to Cayman Island? Maybe some day, but I think I would rather explore more islands and experience what true Caribbean flavor is like.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 August 2008

I have just returned from my 7 night honeymoon at the Ritz in Grand Cayman! It was the best vacation that I have even been on!

Service at the hotel was top notch! The staff knew who we were upon walking in to the hotel! Since we were on our honeymoon, they upgraded us from our ocean view room to an ocean front room on the 6th floor! There was champagne along with a huge fresh flower display in our room on arrival! All of the staff members went out of their way to make sure that we had everything we needed.

Dining was amazing as well!! I gained 6 pounds on the trip! We ate at the restaurant 7 the first night we were there. I had steak and it was pretty good. Not the best I ever had, but good. The second night we ate at Perriwinkles. We had pizzas that night and they were very good! We also ate at 7 another night for their all you can eat lobster dinner. It was pretty good! Resturants that we ate at outside the resort were Deckers, Cooper Falls Steakhouse, Eats Cafe, and Margaritaville. The best meal was at Deckers. I had the lobster and my husband had the grouper with risotto. Both entrees were outstanding! Happy hour at Bar Jack is great! A bucket of beers and chips with salsa for $20 CI. We are breakfast at 7 every morning and had the breakfast buffet. This was included in the reconnect package that we had booked. We also received a $100 credit to our room per night as a part of the package.

The beach was incredible! It was hard to get my husband out of the water everyday! The row of chairs that are directly on the water fill up very quick. I would say by 8:00am they are full! There are plenty of other chairs though on the beach but you don't have the beautiful view of being ocean front if you aren't out there early enough reserving them. We didn't go in the pool at all since the beach was so nice.

The spa was wonderful too! My husband and I had a couples massage. It was the best massage I ever got! At the end of the trip I also had another massage. Again, it was great! Very expensive though.

We took part in 2 excursions. The first one that we did was the Atlantis Submarine ride at night. I was disappointed as we did not see any fish and it felt like we were sitting on top of each other for the hour ride in the sub. The second one was the wave runner trip to Stingray City! This was sooo much fun!

We are planning to return for our one year anniversary next year!!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple