“Over and above my expectations!”

Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
Reviewed 29 March 2014

I recently (week of March 9-15) spent Spring break week with my daughter and her 11 year old daughter and another 11 year old little girl at this lovely hotel. We chose to taxi from the airport which cost $30.00 plus tip each way. It is cheaper to do that than to take a car from the hotel. Taxis are plentiful and large so no worries about how much luggage you bring. We were greeted promptly at the hotel, luggage whisked off to be delivered very quickly, cookies and drinks offered and before you know it we were in our room. We paid extra to be beachfront. We were on the top floor. The room was beautifully decorated and well appointed. I think it was well worth the extra money to stay on that side of the hotel. It is a walk from the front of the hotel to the back, but we did not find it to be a problem. The hotel is lovely and we enjoyed the art work along the way. We ate breakfast every morning at the buffet which was included in our package. It is a very nice breakfast, but you can order off the menu if you don't want to do the buffet. We had dinner at Periwinkles one night. You need reservations for sure there. The food was good, but not great. Dinner at Seven was excellent. Our waiter, Jeremy, was so good that even the girls made mention of it. Actually, I have to say that you know the service at a place is good when 11 year olds keep mentioning how polite and nice and helpful everyone is! We also did a barbecue on the beach which is more for the fire dancing, limbo and atmosphere than the greatness of the food. We enjoyed it sitting out not he beach and looking at the stars and listening to the waves. We ate lunch at poolside and beachside, yummy. They have kids menus. Fish tacos very good and chicken quesadillas. Service top notch. The kids did a program one day called Cayman Castaways and learned more in 2 1/2 hours about survival than you could imagine and had fun doing that. We also rented a boat through the hotel one day for the afternoon and they took us all over reef swimming, star fish point, mangroves and , oh yes, swimming with the sting rays which freaked the girls out. The concierge helped us make those arrangements and I would highly recommend doing this if you have a group. It is a little pricey, but if you consider that we did 5 different things I don't think it was so bad. I think it was about $1200.00. All in all, fabulous relaxing vacation. It is expensive, but we knew that going in. We plan to return next year. Oh, forgot to mention, gorgeous beach. We also loved the pool. We did not use the smaller pool. It also is very family friendly so if you are looking for a mainly couples place this might not be the place for you. I did not find the children to be bothersome.

Room Tip: I would say on the beach side ask for a higher up too so the noise from the pool area won't affe...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Rnfrtz
There are newer reviews for The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman

Reviewed 25 March 2014

My wife and I spent a wonderful babymoon vacation here in early March 2014. Firstly, the property grounds are gorgeous. The pools (both of them), the beach, the walkways, and the gardens are all well kept and beautiful. A note on the layout of the property: the hotel itself is bisected by a public road that is covered by a pedestrian walkway (also part of the hotel). So the reception and most of the restaurants are in the main part, and the beach and beach-front rooms are in the other section across the walkway. It is a short walk to get from one area to another but nothing drastic. Our room was an ocean-front room on the beach side of the property. It was gorgeous. It looks like the hotel recently replaced the carpeting and did some painting there, and it truly looks great. The Silver Rain Spa is also incredible. Firstly, it's huge. Second, they have all kinds of treatments for men and women and do their best to accommodate special requests, including for my pregnant wife. But what really sets this property apart from other hotels is the service. It was uniformly exceptional. From the check-in desk, to the porter, to the waiters at the restaurants and pool, to the cleaning staff, everyone is well-trained, well-informed and extremely personable. You could ask the waiter by the pool about the Spa, and they would know about it. Lastly, they are building a new children's park on the property which should be great for parents.

Room Tip: If you can, get an ocean view room on a higher floor.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank laffingnetizen
Marc_Langevin, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2014

Dear laffingnetizen,
Thank you very much for sharing your compliments about our resort experience. I am pleased to read our Ladies and Gentlemen made your vacation special and memorable. We are proud to offer the island's finest spa experience and I look forward to sharing your compliments with everyone at Silver Rain, a la prairie spa. Again, we thank you for sharing your compliments and look forward to sharing another exceptional vacation with you soon.

Marc Langevin

Reviewed 24 March 2014

The experience at the Ritz can be summed up in one encounter. While sitting by the pool ordering lunch, I asked the server "Is it possible.." and before I could finish the sentence he said "Anything is possible!" And that it was- from the moment we walked into the hotel to the moment we left I felt that the entire staff was there to anticipate our needs and make sure they were met.

The only downside was that the hotel is large, and the beach is not-- so you can definitely feel "crowded" by the ocean. My solution to that was to claim one of the cabanas on the back side, and relax there for most of the day. The cabanas by the ocean cost $375-575 per day. The ones by the back pool are first come first serve.

Room Tip: The lobby is on the third floor, and the fitness center is on the first floor of the "back buil...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Susan M
Reviewed 23 March 2014

My husband and I visited this fabulous resort over Valentines Day this past February. We stayed in a beautiful oceanfront room and had access to The Club. I really can't say enough good things about the Club Staff. Mercedes and her entire team were absolutely fantastic. It is so worth it to pay the extra fee to have this Club experience. I've read other reviews that say the resort is huge and that it was a hassle to have to walk so far. Not in our case. A non issue in our minds. The food at Blue and at Seven was superb. Blue was truly a culinary experience! The only negative I can mention is that if you are looking for a relaxing vacation...lying leisurely around the pool or at the beach, DO NOT go over President's Day Week. There were TONS of kids!!! Again, not an issue for us, but keep this in mind.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mdkeys
Reviewed 22 March 2014

I have travelled so much but I was blown away but this beautiful resort. It is just breathtaking and the swimming was fabulous. We were there for four nights and the experience was flawless. We snorkeled just down the beach and we saw the most amazing fish! I just love GC and we had lots of nice meals in town and within walking distance. We found the hotel restaurant to be expensive but did love the buffet breakfast one day...though it was expensive. We loved the little snack bar for our morning coffee and snacks. The prices were fairly "normal". I just want to convey that this was likely the most positive experience I have ever had on a holiday. There always seems to be some sort of drama or mishap on every vacation but this place is just too polished for anything to really go wrong. My husband and I own a business and get very tired and stressed. This was a perfect mini-vacation to unwind, swim and have some nice meals out in a sunny place. Perfect.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Bridlewood
Reviewed 21 March 2014

after a wonderful cruise on Oceania' Regatta, on the Ultimate Panama Canal Cruise; my wifw and I had to disembark at the Grand Caymans. We were very fortunate to stay one night at the Ritz-Carlton Grand Cayman.
It was a wonderful stay with great service on the beach, great diner at the Japanese restaurant and a beautiful new room

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JLD86
Reviewed 19 March 2014

The grounds and rooms are clean and well maintained and staff greets you warmly. Our room was quiet and everyone slept well. Small fitness area. The pool is fine, but extremely small in comparison to other Ritz hotels. Pool security would not allow my children to jump into the pool...I understand diving...but jumping? Service was spotty at both beach and pool. The first day by the pool, our lunch took at least 45 minutes to arrive (2 kids meals and one appetizer) and our drinks arrived at the same time. Other days we were served more quickly. Our housekeeper was attentive and met our requests. We consistently felt there was little for our pre-teen kids to do. There may have been options, but no one made an attempt to share or even provide literature about what was available. We felt we had to ask a lot which meant a trip into the guest services instead of beach time. We did stumble across a kid's lounge, but it closed after 2 nights to accommodate a private group. Bummer for our kids. A recent stay at the Ritz in Laguna was different with staff offering the kids activities. Perhaps a better check-in service with literature or conversations about the options on property would help this? I believe this property is better for little kids (who eat free) or for adults. Back to Hawaii next year and the Grand Wailea--much better fit for our demographics.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank iowafamof4
Marc_Langevin, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Dear iowafamof4,
Thank you for taking the time to leave your comment. I am very sorry to hear that your experience at our resort did not live up to your expectations. We are currently in the process of expanding our offerings for guests of all ages. Your feedback is very important to us and we will certainly look at our arrival experience to ensure we are effectively communicating all of the activities that we have to offer. If you have the time to discuss your experience in more detail, I may be reached personally at 345-815-6006.

Marc Langevin