“Expensive but great hotel and Beautiful beach accomodations” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman

The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
Chicago, Illinois
“Expensive but great hotel and Beautiful beach accomodations”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

We just arrived back from Ritz Grand Cayman for Spring Break (last week in March) with our 10yr old daughter and 12yr old son and wanted to give you un biased opinion and include the things that I had questions about before arriving. We are platimun Marriott members, yet decided to try the Ritz based on what they offered for families. We used points for our stay and did ask for an upgrade but none was available for when we arrived..:( There is an additional $50 resort fee + a service fee of $36.80 which goes towards the maid and bellmen tips. The staff and all workers are fantastic and cater to you every need.
We stayed on 3rd floor, garden view, 2 queen beds, wonderful and exceptionally clean rooms. VERY comfortable beds and linens but be warned - every morning at 6:30, roosters will wake you up no matter where you stay...:) Request 3rd floor if you are not staying oceanfront. The hotel is basically divided into oceanfront and garden/pool/club rooms and connected via a walkway that runs over the main road. The main lobby is on the side with garden/pool/club rooms so it is convenient but a few minutes walk to the beach.
The resort fee INCL: free wifi which is decent even on the beach, the use of: stand up paddelboards, snorkeling equiment, kayaks, paddleboats, etc...unlimited beach towels, bottled water in the room, fruit flavored water on beach/pool, rum punch/fruit drinks/cookies in the afternoon in main lobby and free coffee/hot choc/tea until 10am, fruit and snowcones around 3 by the pool. DO take advantage of all of this because you are paying for it!
The Beach is an absolute dream - clean, warm and not a lot of waves unless it is windy. We spent much of our time here. There are always chairs but tough to find front row chairs after 6am on any given day as they are a hot commodity - My husband even witnessed a few cat fights regarding the chairs as people drop their things and leave for hours. If you walk up past the Governor's house on the SMB, there is an awesome reef to go snorkeling-Wonderful fish, sting rays and turtles..We dropped our gear on public beach and it was VERy safe to do so.
We arrived on a Monday night while Ritz Beach BBQ Buffet was taking place so we did it. I don't recommend - the food was mediocre and too expensive to be just ok ($350US/2adults/2kids/4 drinks).Sunshine Grill is right across the street behind the strip mall.
Taikun sushi was excellent! Do try....Periwinkle food was good but apparently they were short-staffed tha night and we waited 45 minutes for our dinner. Movie for kids is shown here and that is very nice....Barjack pool side food is pretty decent and do try the Pina Colada - but be warned, it is $32US for 1 which includes an extra shot of rum on top but VERY yummy!
It is a 5 star hotel and you will pay for it but we had an incredible time and one that we won't forget.

Room Tip: Request 3rd floor if you are not staying oceanfront. The hotel is basically divided into oceanfront...
7 Thank Jela1970

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (672)
Colts Neck, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

For my 50th birthday my husband treated me to 6 days in Grand Cayman - just the two of us. Last year we stopped at Rum Point for a day excursion on the Disney cruise and liked it so much, we wanted to come back to the island...I booked a reservation at The Ritz and the Marriott but after much deliberation and reading the comments on trip advisor, I went top shelf and stayed at the Ritz. I booked the cheapest room and paid $899 per night, plus $60 Resort fee, $90 gratuity charge and taxes of $116 for a total of $1,165 per night. They did upgrade our room to a better view, which was of the smaller pool. I will say this, from the room, to the staff, to the restaurants, the beach - everything was spectacular. I am so glad I did not stay at the Marriott which was half the price and included breakfast for 2. I can't say enough good things about this trip. There are only 3 big hotels on the beach, the two mentioned and the Westin. If you wanted to go cheaper, the Westin looked nice and had a great beach. Marriott had a terrible location and very skimpy beach. But if the money is not an issue, go for the Ritz - you will not regret it! We went from March 21-26th. Ate at Seven, and Periwinkle at the hotel - both excellent. Off hotel property, ate at Agua and Dolce Vita...we also booked beach cabana #5 (the cheapest cabana at $250) but was worth it is you are sitting on the beach all day and do not want to burn. Nice to have the privacy and service. The pool was a very nice size, a lot of kids of course. Beach area had less kids. If you want a seat in the first row of beach chairs you must get there prior to 7:00 am to get a chair....Liked the decor of the rooms, and the size of the bathroom. No complaints about the hotel. They knew it was my birthday and when we arrived there was a delicious cake in my room and one of the waiters gave me a complimentary dessert.... The staff were friendly, personable, and just wanted to make you happy. As one doorman told me when I asked if it would be possible for someone to put some extra clothes in my room, told me "m'am, this is the Ritz everything is possible". Kudos to Borislav, Katarina, Danny, Jakub, Laurel, Nero, Lilam the hostesses at Seven, and to Cristian, the concierge who helped me with the cabana and booking a fabulous excursion by sixth senses eco tour. We had a great day with Captain Patrick and had a bevy of stingray activity at stingray city since he took us after the cruise ships left! Great snorkeling and a nice lunch on rum point beach - a lovely beach visit. Food is very expensive on the island and make sure you bring enough sunscreen - $25 a bottle at the hotel! The only negative at the hotel was we ran into people we knew who were staying at the Westin but using the facilities at the Ritz (guess that says something about the Westin). They routinely used the gym, so apparently the Ritz is not checking room keys for the gym. Frustrating when you are paying for the facilities. And not sure they were verifying that everyone who got a beach chair or pool chair was a hotel guest.....maybe they could work on that. If we ever go back again (would love to bring my 9 year old) we will definitely stay at the Ritz again. The Ritz is very family friendly, as I think we may have been the only guests without kids! Only really felt the kid presence at meal times...One other tip the smaller pool is very quite and has free cabanas.....Overall, totally fabulous!!!!! Can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Unless you are a snob about having an ocean view, the garden view rooms are fine! I did not mind th...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank GreycatLisa
Chagrin Falls, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

My wife and our 4 kids stayed at the Ritz Carlton for Spring Break. It was our first trip to the Cayman Islands and we loved the entire experience, especially our stay at the Ritz. We stayed on the resort side, which is much less expensive than the beach side and I would highly recommend it. It is a short walk to the ocean and the accommodations on the resort side are exceptional. The rooms are very well appointed, clean and the staff is typical Ritz Carlton wonderful and friendly. The beach has plenty of chairs at both the pool (there is a very nice pool on the resort side we used late in the day, with hammocks and plenty of sun and room) and the ocean. The waiters were very prompt and friendly and you can snorkel right off the beach with free equipment supplied by the Ritz beach staff. You can paddle board and use a variety of family friendly equipment to get out on the ocean. For those who have not been to the Cayman Islands, Seven Mile Beach is basically a large bay guarded by a natural reef. Therefore it does not have large waves and is calm and easy to swim and enjoy the ocean. We dined at Periwinkle, which was nice for the family and Seven, an upscale but still family friendly steak restaurant. Both are on property and very good. I would highly recommend this island and especially the Ritz, it was an tremendous experience for the entire family.

Room Tip: If you choose the resort side you will not be disappointed. The Beach side is certainly nice and a...
5 Thank scrandall
Hopewell Junction, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

My sister in law and my childhood friend went on an all girls vacation to the Caymans. Our experience at the Ritz was wonderful. The amenities, spa, and service were over the top. We had a fantastic time.

Stayed March 2014
4 Thank padma g
Vallejo, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

Just got back from 1 week at RC Grand Cayman. 3/23 -3/30.
Traveled with my husband and 13 year old daughter.
This hotel is just over the top!

Don't listen to the reviewers that say that if you stay on the hotel side the beach is too far. Can you say lazy? Its not that far and if you cant walk the short distance you probably should just stay home and read eveyone elses reviews.

Service here is 5 star, everyone friendly and helpful, no complaints. We felt like VIP's.

Yes everything is very expensive, Pina Colada is $15. I guess if you can afford it, go for it. Food also excellent, we had sushi, room service, breakfast at Seven and appetizers ar Periwinkle; all delicious.

The spa is over the top as well. Just used the sauna and showers, hopefully be back again and try one of their services.
We rented a beach cabana on our last day, and we were totally pampered. You get an Itouch and you can order food from it directly from Barjack. Fresh fruits, chips, and pitcher of ice water included. Try the nachos, with a Caybrew, delish!

They do charge a $60 a day resort fee, but it includes use of Hobie cats, stand up paddle boards, water trike, water hammocks, chairs that are in the water and are shaded.

We stayed on the hotel side and had a room with 2 queens, very nice for 3 people to share. Only complaint is that there is only one dresser in room so my daughter had to live out of her suite case. Room cleaned perfectly everyday. No complaints.

We stayed here on Marriott rewards points which eased the cost, as it is quite expensive to stay here, but if you want to splurge and be made to feel like a VIP for a week, go for it! You can't beat the location, right in the middle of Seven Mile beach.

4 Thank Julie B
Alpine, Utah, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

Beautiful, modern, updated room. Quiet, silent, peaceful room and hotel. Excellent service from every staff member - Ritz staff goes over the top to make sure everything is perfect. Take advantage of concierge to set up activities before you go - Adriana was excellent. Beautiful, well-kept property. Excellent beach with soft, soft sand, warm water and great service with chair/cabana set up, regular staff visits to check on need for drink and food, etc. Onsite restaurants were very good. Bar Jack fire pit buffet dinner with live island music, s'mores on the beach and even a real pirate was cool. Only caution I would offer: you should expect everything to be silly-expensive...but it is a Caribbean island resort and it is a Ritz-Carlton. For us, it was worth every dime. This resort is now tied for my #1 Favorite with Seven Stars Resort in Turks.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for ocean view or ocean front room if you can swing it. There are 2 sides to this pro...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Jeffrey H
Fair Oaks Ranch, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

I recently (week of March 9-15) spent Spring break week with my daughter and her 11 year old daughter and another 11 year old little girl at this lovely hotel. We chose to taxi from the airport which cost $30.00 plus tip each way. It is cheaper to do that than to take a car from the hotel. Taxis are plentiful and large so no worries about how much luggage you bring. We were greeted promptly at the hotel, luggage whisked off to be delivered very quickly, cookies and drinks offered and before you know it we were in our room. We paid extra to be beachfront. We were on the top floor. The room was beautifully decorated and well appointed. I think it was well worth the extra money to stay on that side of the hotel. It is a walk from the front of the hotel to the back, but we did not find it to be a problem. The hotel is lovely and we enjoyed the art work along the way. We ate breakfast every morning at the buffet which was included in our package. It is a very nice breakfast, but you can order off the menu if you don't want to do the buffet. We had dinner at Periwinkles one night. You need reservations for sure there. The food was good, but not great. Dinner at Seven was excellent. Our waiter, Jeremy, was so good that even the girls made mention of it. Actually, I have to say that you know the service at a place is good when 11 year olds keep mentioning how polite and nice and helpful everyone is! We also did a barbecue on the beach which is more for the fire dancing, limbo and atmosphere than the greatness of the food. We enjoyed it sitting out not he beach and looking at the stars and listening to the waves. We ate lunch at poolside and beachside, yummy. They have kids menus. Fish tacos very good and chicken quesadillas. Service top notch. The kids did a program one day called Cayman Castaways and learned more in 2 1/2 hours about survival than you could imagine and had fun doing that. We also rented a boat through the hotel one day for the afternoon and they took us all over reef swimming, star fish point, mangroves and , oh yes, swimming with the sting rays which freaked the girls out. The concierge helped us make those arrangements and I would highly recommend doing this if you have a group. It is a little pricey, but if you consider that we did 5 different things I don't think it was so bad. I think it was about $1200.00. All in all, fabulous relaxing vacation. It is expensive, but we knew that going in. We plan to return next year. Oh, forgot to mention, gorgeous beach. We also loved the pool. We did not use the smaller pool. It also is very family friendly so if you are looking for a mainly couples place this might not be the place for you. I did not find the children to be bothersome.

Room Tip: I would say on the beach side ask for a higher up too so the noise from the pool area won't affe...
5 Thank Rnfrtz