“Nice, but facility/service varies and super $$”

The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
Reviewed 13 April 2014

I traveled here for a girls' trip with my mother, and in retrospect this was probably not the best pick for that kind of trip. The resort was pretty sleepy and would be better suited for a couples trip.

The service was across the board excellent except for the spa (more on that later) - I would say probably the best service of any hotel I have ever stayed at. The employees were uniformly cheerful and happy to assist with anything and everything. It did become clear that at least one of the concierges is making recommendations based on kick backs, which was kind of annoying but I suppose not surprising. He was over the top insisting that we not eat at a nearby restaurant with excellent tripadvisor reviews, and we loved it when we are there against his advice. I honestly cannot think of any possible reason that he was so insistent that we would hate it except that they do not give kickbacks to concierge staff. He was still helpful and nice, I just wasn't a fan of the kickbacks.

The facility itself is not the nicest RC and not very modern, but there were a lot of nice little touches. I loved the bathroom at the pool and the entire poolan d beach area. Tons of water sports stuff and lounge chairs available with their own shades.. Loved that!

Now for the spa- it was so weird but our experience at the spa was the exact opposite of the rest of the hotel. The spa facility itself is AMAZING. It is by far the nicest spa I have ever visited, and I have been to so many nice spas. I had a facial and it was also amazing, by far the best I've ever had. My massage was good but not exceptional. But- the service was lacking. We came to the spa for two days and there were groups of women making so.much.noise. You have this gorgeous, serene environment that is totally ruined by loud loud loud people. We complained multiple times the first day and the employees were nice and said they were sorry but didn't do anything about it. By the second day, with the same experience, I realized the problem.

There is a "private" closed off relaxation space in the middle of the relaxation room. When you are in there, you feel like you are in a private space. However, the areas are just separated by a thin curtain so your "private" conversations can by heard by everyone and disturb everyone. I would bet that the people inside have no clue how much they are disturbing others. They should move this area so as not to be RIGHT in the middle of everything - at least if it was off to the side, you would be able to find a quiet place on the other side of the relaxation room. They should also rethink the idea of giving a sense of privacy when it does not exist- just keep the whole room open and I guarantee that loud conversations would not be happening in a spa relaxation room! They could also put up signs about being respectful to other guests and quiet. It was just really disappointing that we spent over a thousand dollars at the spa and couldn't get some quiet relaxation time. The cost would have been worth it if there was quiet, but I just felt stressed out trying to read and not being able to concentrate.. And the staff was just so so so unhelpful. They commiserated with us again and again, but no action was taken despite repeated requests.

They also had an issue downstairs in the changing area with a lack of a curling iron. They said they had one, so we didn't bring ours, and then theirs was not there. One woman told us they had never had one, another woman said it broke,an d a third woman said they had two and one broke and one was taken. They also had a bunch of different stories about whether it would be replaced and when. My mom started getting really frustrated and upset. We kept brainstorming different ways they could get a new curling iron and they kept saying no. Finally after a full hour she convinced them to go to the store and buy a replacement. All in all, I just felt like the employees were very blasé about finding solutions to help with issues. WE should not have been the ones brainstorming. They clearly just didn't care, and for this kind of money it was disappointing. Like I said, this was the exact opposite of the experience we had with other hotel employees, which was strange. My facialist, though, was amazing and I did not feel overly pressured to purchase products. I wish I knew her name- she had an Irish or Scottish accent with brown hair.

I probably would not return to this hotel, but would recommend it to friends looking for a quiet, romantic trip if they got the spa stuff under control. I just didn't think that my stay was worth the exorbitant prices. Be prepared to spend much, much more than you would at other RC properties.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank cpapa84
Marc_Langevin, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2014

Dear cpapa84,
Thank you for sharing your comments about our resort experience. It was wonderful to have you and your mother stay with us. I am, however, disappointed to hear your experience did not meet expectations. Your feedback is very important to us and, if you can afford the time, I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your experience in more detail. I may be reached personally at +1 (345) 815-6006.

Marc Langevin
The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman

There are newer reviews for The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman

Reviewed 5 April 2014

Let me start by saying that Seven Mile Beach is simply gorgeous and the Ritz beach area is absolutely the best on Seven Mile Beach. The Ritz is also the best hotel on the island. That said, our love affair with this property may sadly be cooling off. We just returned from our 5th family Spring Break here and we were a bit disappointed since our last visit in 2012. It appears the former Ritz touches are going by the wayside. We began visiting this property in 2008 and it was service beyond compare. In prior visits we were warmly welcomed back - this time, when I asked if my Gold Ritz membership would qualify for a room upgrade, I was told there were beachfront rooms available and after a quick check in the back by the front desk, I was told there were none for me unless I cared to pay an additional $300.00/night (on top of the 1000.00/night for 7 nights we were already spending). This made me feel a bit ashamed for asking, and a bit sad that our family loyalty to this property and spend of over 50k for multiple stays amounted to being brushed aside. We also experienced a morning of very loud construction on a patio that was echoing all around the pool and beach -we asked about it and were told by a pool attendant - yes it is loud, we have a shared your complaint and it should stop - 2 hours later it finally stopped. To us this is something that has NEVER occurred at a Ritz before - clearly many guests where there to enjoy a Spring Break and this conveys that the hotel really didn't care about providing a quality, relaxing pool experience for any of the guests that day. Really disappointing.
We were also excited to see the new renovations - very nicely done in the lounge and Seven restaurant, however the room renovations look very Marriott not Ritz (bed scarves, curtains, and blue paint over the crown molding).
In summary, this is a good place to experience the beauty of Grand Cayman. It just may not be the grand Ritz of the past where everything was top notch and guest requests were always "Our pleasure".

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
16  Thank LuvLuxTravel_12
Reviewed 4 April 2014

We just arrived back from Ritz Grand Cayman for Spring Break (last week in March) with our 10yr old daughter and 12yr old son and wanted to give you un biased opinion and include the things that I had questions about before arriving. We are platimun Marriott members, yet decided to try the Ritz based on what they offered for families. We used points for our stay and did ask for an upgrade but none was available for when we arrived..:( There is an additional $50 resort fee + a service fee of $36.80 which goes towards the maid and bellmen tips. The staff and all workers are fantastic and cater to you every need.
We stayed on 3rd floor, garden view, 2 queen beds, wonderful and exceptionally clean rooms. VERY comfortable beds and linens but be warned - every morning at 6:30, roosters will wake you up no matter where you stay...:) Request 3rd floor if you are not staying oceanfront. The hotel is basically divided into oceanfront and garden/pool/club rooms and connected via a walkway that runs over the main road. The main lobby is on the side with garden/pool/club rooms so it is convenient but a few minutes walk to the beach.
The resort fee INCL: free wifi which is decent even on the beach, the use of: stand up paddelboards, snorkeling equiment, kayaks, paddleboats, etc...unlimited beach towels, bottled water in the room, fruit flavored water on beach/pool, rum punch/fruit drinks/cookies in the afternoon in main lobby and free coffee/hot choc/tea until 10am, fruit and snowcones around 3 by the pool. DO take advantage of all of this because you are paying for it!
The Beach is an absolute dream - clean, warm and not a lot of waves unless it is windy. We spent much of our time here. There are always chairs but tough to find front row chairs after 6am on any given day as they are a hot commodity - My husband even witnessed a few cat fights regarding the chairs as people drop their things and leave for hours. If you walk up past the Governor's house on the SMB, there is an awesome reef to go snorkeling-Wonderful fish, sting rays and turtles..We dropped our gear on public beach and it was VERy safe to do so.
We arrived on a Monday night while Ritz Beach BBQ Buffet was taking place so we did it. I don't recommend - the food was mediocre and too expensive to be just ok ($350US/2adults/2kids/4 drinks).Sunshine Grill is right across the street behind the strip mall.
Taikun sushi was excellent! Do try....Periwinkle food was good but apparently they were short-staffed tha night and we waited 45 minutes for our dinner. Movie for kids is shown here and that is very nice....Barjack pool side food is pretty decent and do try the Pina Colada - but be warned, it is $32US for 1 which includes an extra shot of rum on top but VERY yummy!
It is a 5 star hotel and you will pay for it but we had an incredible time and one that we won't forget.

Room Tip: Request 3rd floor if you are not staying oceanfront. The hotel is basically divided into oceanfront...
7  Thank Jela1970
Reviewed 2 April 2014

For my 50th birthday my husband treated me to 6 days in Grand Cayman - just the two of us. Last year we stopped at Rum Point for a day excursion on the Disney cruise and liked it so much, we wanted to come back to the island...I booked a reservation at The Ritz and the Marriott but after much deliberation and reading the comments on trip advisor, I went top shelf and stayed at the Ritz. I booked the cheapest room and paid $899 per night, plus $60 Resort fee, $90 gratuity charge and taxes of $116 for a total of $1,165 per night. They did upgrade our room to a better view, which was of the smaller pool. I will say this, from the room, to the staff, to the restaurants, the beach - everything was spectacular. I am so glad I did not stay at the Marriott which was half the price and included breakfast for 2. I can't say enough good things about this trip. There are only 3 big hotels on the beach, the two mentioned and the Westin. If you wanted to go cheaper, the Westin looked nice and had a great beach. Marriott had a terrible location and very skimpy beach. But if the money is not an issue, go for the Ritz - you will not regret it! We went from March 21-26th. Ate at Seven, and Periwinkle at the hotel - both excellent. Off hotel property, ate at Agua and Dolce Vita...we also booked beach cabana #5 (the cheapest cabana at $250) but was worth it is you are sitting on the beach all day and do not want to burn. Nice to have the privacy and service. The pool was a very nice size, a lot of kids of course. Beach area had less kids. If you want a seat in the first row of beach chairs you must get there prior to 7:00 am to get a chair....Liked the decor of the rooms, and the size of the bathroom. No complaints about the hotel. They knew it was my birthday and when we arrived there was a delicious cake in my room and one of the waiters gave me a complimentary dessert.... The staff were friendly, personable, and just wanted to make you happy. As one doorman told me when I asked if it would be possible for someone to put some extra clothes in my room, told me "m'am, this is the Ritz everything is possible". Kudos to Borislav, Katarina, Danny, Jakub, Laurel, Nero, Lilam the hostesses at Seven, and to Cristian, the concierge who helped me with the cabana and booking a fabulous excursion by sixth senses eco tour. We had a great day with Captain Patrick and had a bevy of stingray activity at stingray city since he took us after the cruise ships left! Great snorkeling and a nice lunch on rum point beach - a lovely beach visit. Food is very expensive on the island and make sure you bring enough sunscreen - $25 a bottle at the hotel! The only negative at the hotel was we ran into people we knew who were staying at the Westin but using the facilities at the Ritz (guess that says something about the Westin). They routinely used the gym, so apparently the Ritz is not checking room keys for the gym. Frustrating when you are paying for the facilities. And not sure they were verifying that everyone who got a beach chair or pool chair was a hotel guest.....maybe they could work on that. If we ever go back again (would love to bring my 9 year old) we will definitely stay at the Ritz again. The Ritz is very family friendly, as I think we may have been the only guests without kids! Only really felt the kid presence at meal times...One other tip the smaller pool is very quite and has free cabanas.....Overall, totally fabulous!!!!! Can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Unless you are a snob about having an ocean view, the garden view rooms are fine! I did not mind th...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank GreycatLisa
Reviewed 31 March 2014

My wife and our 4 kids stayed at the Ritz Carlton for Spring Break. It was our first trip to the Cayman Islands and we loved the entire experience, especially our stay at the Ritz. We stayed on the resort side, which is much less expensive than the beach side and I would highly recommend it. It is a short walk to the ocean and the accommodations on the resort side are exceptional. The rooms are very well appointed, clean and the staff is typical Ritz Carlton wonderful and friendly. The beach has plenty of chairs at both the pool (there is a very nice pool on the resort side we used late in the day, with hammocks and plenty of sun and room) and the ocean. The waiters were very prompt and friendly and you can snorkel right off the beach with free equipment supplied by the Ritz beach staff. You can paddle board and use a variety of family friendly equipment to get out on the ocean. For those who have not been to the Cayman Islands, Seven Mile Beach is basically a large bay guarded by a natural reef. Therefore it does not have large waves and is calm and easy to swim and enjoy the ocean. We dined at Periwinkle, which was nice for the family and Seven, an upscale but still family friendly steak restaurant. Both are on property and very good. I would highly recommend this island and especially the Ritz, it was an tremendous experience for the entire family.

Room Tip: If you choose the resort side you will not be disappointed. The Beach side is certainly nice and a...
5  Thank scrandall
Reviewed 30 March 2014

My sister in law and my childhood friend went on an all girls vacation to the Caymans. Our experience at the Ritz was wonderful. The amenities, spa, and service were over the top. We had a fantastic time.

Stayed: March 2014
4  Thank padma g
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Just got back from 1 week at RC Grand Cayman. 3/23 -3/30.
Traveled with my husband and 13 year old daughter.
This hotel is just over the top!

Don't listen to the reviewers that say that if you stay on the hotel side the beach is too far. Can you say lazy? Its not that far and if you cant walk the short distance you probably should just stay home and read eveyone elses reviews.

Service here is 5 star, everyone friendly and helpful, no complaints. We felt like VIP's.

Yes everything is very expensive, Pina Colada is $15. I guess if you can afford it, go for it. Food also excellent, we had sushi, room service, breakfast at Seven and appetizers ar Periwinkle; all delicious.

The spa is over the top as well. Just used the sauna and showers, hopefully be back again and try one of their services.
We rented a beach cabana on our last day, and we were totally pampered. You get an Itouch and you can order food from it directly from Barjack. Fresh fruits, chips, and pitcher of ice water included. Try the nachos, with a Caybrew, delish!

They do charge a $60 a day resort fee, but it includes use of Hobie cats, stand up paddle boards, water trike, water hammocks, chairs that are in the water and are shaded.

We stayed on the hotel side and had a room with 2 queens, very nice for 3 people to share. Only complaint is that there is only one dresser in room so my daughter had to live out of her suite case. Room cleaned perfectly everyday. No complaints.

We stayed here on Marriott rewards points which eased the cost, as it is quite expensive to stay here, but if you want to splurge and be made to feel like a VIP for a week, go for it! You can't beat the location, right in the middle of Seven Mile beach.

4  Thank Julie B