“amazing Ritz”

Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
Reviewed 19 April 2014

the ritz-carlton is amazing it may have a few flaws like people getting up at 7am for silly beach chairs but thats not the hotels fault is it.their are aslo snow cones at 3pm for free. the club is amazing abdul collin mercedes and the rest of the gang are wonderful it may cost quite a bit but you get what you pay for. their many different things to choose from including pepsi and AMAZING cookies(abdul aslo plays the guitar with late night desserts).
in short the Ritz is AMAZING.

Room Tip: oceanfront 6-8 floor great view
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank garythesnail s

Reviewed 18 April 2014

. This resort is quite large and it was filled to capacity while we were there because it was a spring break week and therefore a great deal of young children and for the most part they were well behaved, a great tribute to their parents. To their credit the hotel statt functioned excellent with all the children present. The beach is just beautiful but it was extremely hot during our stay and it was much more comfortable in the pool area under the umbrellas

Our accommodations were wonderful, we stayed in an ocean view room and it was spectacular. The sun rises and sunsets were amazing the Sky is full of stars in the evening. As to the room itself, it was fresh and well decorated; if there was a short coming, the shower could be a bit larger. The bathroom amenities are all extremely high end and they do replenish them generously daily.The Ritz Carlton is an extremely well located resort on seven mile beach, It is quite large and does cross over a road. It is a long walk from the pool beach area (which our room overlooked) to the man building across the road over the third floor enclosed hall walkway to the main reception area and the hotel Lobby

We enjoyed an excellent breakfast every morning at the Seven Restaurant and t was a very elaborate buffet and there was a great variety of breakfast foods available. We found the pool service was quite consistent. The pool bar is a great place for afternoon cocktails we dined in the resort a few evenings and the food and service was always great. There are a lot of great restaurant close to the Ritz which made it very easy to get more variety in dinning off the resort property.

This is a very expensive island with everything priced in the Cayman currency and it is 25 percent higher than the US dollar, so a ten dollar drink is 12.50 US. I live in New York and I would say that the prices here are just as high as New York City and in many cases more. So be prepared to send some heavy money during your stay.

To sum it up if you are aware of the currency differential and the high prices this is definitely a Five Star experience. The island is extremely clean and well maintained. I would highly recommend the Ritz Grand Caymans.
If you found my review helpful please check the box at the end of the review. Thank you

Room Tip: I you can stay in a ocean view room the location to the beach is much more convenient
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
10  Thank wmvsr
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Outstanding hotel! Service and staff were amazing. Location excellent and terrific beach. Rooms were clean and concierge and staff were very helpful. Check in to check out was first class. Yes, you get what you pay for and this hotel is worth the stay. Beach activities included in resort fee and plenty of chairs. We enjoyed food at Seven, Periwinkle and the pool bar. Want to enjoy Grand Cayman this is the place to stay.

Room Tip: Stayed on the beach side with ocean view. Can't imagine a bad room here.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We enjoyed the Club level and Abdul and Rose made our time there most enjoyable. They are the most thoughtful, kind, and accommodating staff members at any Ritz, period. What they brought to our experience from check-in to check-out was a tailored and delightful experience- especially for our 3 girls.

As for the hotel, it's restaurants, beach, and amenities- all fantastic. If you expect the best- and are one of the few that actually expect the best and don't immediately look at your wallet- you get it here. Remember, most people want the best but really can't stand to invest in it.

The beach is one of the best stretches of it on 7 mile beach. If you want to stay onsite to dine- you can't beat these restaurants.

Top tips: if you're aren't oceanfront, stay on the top floor with garden or grounds view. Upgrade to Club level- food is awesome- drinks are free- and, yes, it will be a value when you add it all up. In the Club, see if Abdul will break out the guitar and sign- he's amazing!

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Frank D
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We spent two unforgettable weeks here in August 2012.
We decided upon this resort because of the wide range of restaurants, activities and the proximity to Seven Mile beach (it is on the beach!).

Our stay could not have turned out better. All of the food was delicious, the staff were welcoming and willing to help in whatever way they could.

Activities- with our room fee all the watersports provided by the hotel were complimentary.
These included kayaks, paddleboards, snorkelling and water biking.

Must see- we took an excursion to Stingray city- a short boat ride, an experience that we will never forget.
Of course our wedding was the most important thing! Our ceremony took place on the alter in the gardens of the hotel. Followed by a reception on Seven mile beach. All of our guests agreed it was one of the best weddings they had ever been too. Delicious food and drinks (lenny cocktail) and stunning sunset dominated scenery.

An incredible place- thankyou Ritz Carlton GC!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Philius1
Marc_Langevin, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2014

Dear Philius1,
Congratulations! It was an honor to celebrate your wedding and I am so pleased to read about how much you enjoyed your experience with us. I look forward to sharing your compliments with our Ladies and Gentlemen and, of course, we hope you will visit us again soon to relive all the wonderful memories. Thank you!

Marc Langevin

Reviewed 13 April 2014

I traveled here for a girls' trip with my mother, and in retrospect this was probably not the best pick for that kind of trip. The resort was pretty sleepy and would be better suited for a couples trip.

The service was across the board excellent except for the spa (more on that later) - I would say probably the best service of any hotel I have ever stayed at. The employees were uniformly cheerful and happy to assist with anything and everything. It did become clear that at least one of the concierges is making recommendations based on kick backs, which was kind of annoying but I suppose not surprising. He was over the top insisting that we not eat at a nearby restaurant with excellent tripadvisor reviews, and we loved it when we are there against his advice. I honestly cannot think of any possible reason that he was so insistent that we would hate it except that they do not give kickbacks to concierge staff. He was still helpful and nice, I just wasn't a fan of the kickbacks.

The facility itself is not the nicest RC and not very modern, but there were a lot of nice little touches. I loved the bathroom at the pool and the entire poolan d beach area. Tons of water sports stuff and lounge chairs available with their own shades.. Loved that!

Now for the spa- it was so weird but our experience at the spa was the exact opposite of the rest of the hotel. The spa facility itself is AMAZING. It is by far the nicest spa I have ever visited, and I have been to so many nice spas. I had a facial and it was also amazing, by far the best I've ever had. My massage was good but not exceptional. But- the service was lacking. We came to the spa for two days and there were groups of women making so.much.noise. You have this gorgeous, serene environment that is totally ruined by loud loud loud people. We complained multiple times the first day and the employees were nice and said they were sorry but didn't do anything about it. By the second day, with the same experience, I realized the problem.

There is a "private" closed off relaxation space in the middle of the relaxation room. When you are in there, you feel like you are in a private space. However, the areas are just separated by a thin curtain so your "private" conversations can by heard by everyone and disturb everyone. I would bet that the people inside have no clue how much they are disturbing others. They should move this area so as not to be RIGHT in the middle of everything - at least if it was off to the side, you would be able to find a quiet place on the other side of the relaxation room. They should also rethink the idea of giving a sense of privacy when it does not exist- just keep the whole room open and I guarantee that loud conversations would not be happening in a spa relaxation room! They could also put up signs about being respectful to other guests and quiet. It was just really disappointing that we spent over a thousand dollars at the spa and couldn't get some quiet relaxation time. The cost would have been worth it if there was quiet, but I just felt stressed out trying to read and not being able to concentrate.. And the staff was just so so so unhelpful. They commiserated with us again and again, but no action was taken despite repeated requests.

They also had an issue downstairs in the changing area with a lack of a curling iron. They said they had one, so we didn't bring ours, and then theirs was not there. One woman told us they had never had one, another woman said it broke,an d a third woman said they had two and one broke and one was taken. They also had a bunch of different stories about whether it would be replaced and when. My mom started getting really frustrated and upset. We kept brainstorming different ways they could get a new curling iron and they kept saying no. Finally after a full hour she convinced them to go to the store and buy a replacement. All in all, I just felt like the employees were very blasé about finding solutions to help with issues. WE should not have been the ones brainstorming. They clearly just didn't care, and for this kind of money it was disappointing. Like I said, this was the exact opposite of the experience we had with other hotel employees, which was strange. My facialist, though, was amazing and I did not feel overly pressured to purchase products. I wish I knew her name- she had an Irish or Scottish accent with brown hair.

I probably would not return to this hotel, but would recommend it to friends looking for a quiet, romantic trip if they got the spa stuff under control. I just didn't think that my stay was worth the exorbitant prices. Be prepared to spend much, much more than you would at other RC properties.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank cpapa84

Dear cpapa84,
Thank you for sharing your comments about our resort experience. It was wonderful to have you and your mother stay with us. I am, however, disappointed to hear your experience did not meet expectations. Your feedback is very important to us and, if you can afford the time, I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your experience in more detail. I may be reached personally at +1 (345) 815-6006.

Marc Langevin

Reviewed 5 April 2014

Let me start by saying that Seven Mile Beach is simply gorgeous and the Ritz beach area is absolutely the best on Seven Mile Beach. The Ritz is also the best hotel on the island. That said, our love affair with this property may sadly be cooling off. We just returned from our 5th family Spring Break here and we were a bit disappointed since our last visit in 2012. It appears the former Ritz touches are going by the wayside. We began visiting this property in 2008 and it was service beyond compare. In prior visits we were warmly welcomed back - this time, when I asked if my Gold Ritz membership would qualify for a room upgrade, I was told there were beachfront rooms available and after a quick check in the back by the front desk, I was told there were none for me unless I cared to pay an additional $300.00/night (on top of the 1000.00/night for 7 nights we were already spending). This made me feel a bit ashamed for asking, and a bit sad that our family loyalty to this property and spend of over 50k for multiple stays amounted to being brushed aside. We also experienced a morning of very loud construction on a patio that was echoing all around the pool and beach -we asked about it and were told by a pool attendant - yes it is loud, we have a shared your complaint and it should stop - 2 hours later it finally stopped. To us this is something that has NEVER occurred at a Ritz before - clearly many guests where there to enjoy a Spring Break and this conveys that the hotel really didn't care about providing a quality, relaxing pool experience for any of the guests that day. Really disappointing.
We were also excited to see the new renovations - very nicely done in the lounge and Seven restaurant, however the room renovations look very Marriott not Ritz (bed scarves, curtains, and blue paint over the crown molding).
In summary, this is a good place to experience the beauty of Grand Cayman. It just may not be the grand Ritz of the past where everything was top notch and guest requests were always "Our pleasure".

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family