“Simply the best”

Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

The Ritz brand always delivers impeccable hospitality. But this resort is the most beautiful resort I've ever stayed in. Their recent room renovations are exceptional. The pool and beach services are second to none. If I could afford to stay here for two weeks, I would. Paradise.

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank DrDre939
There are newer reviews for The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman

Reviewed 12 June 2014

Just got back from 5 days of relaxation for our 2nd Wedding Anniversary. I cannot say enough about this gorgeous property, great location, and superb customer service. Everyone made it a point to greet us by name, wish us happy anniversary, and ask if there was anything else they could possibly do to make our stay better. Florin, Hudson, Emilio, Scott (Concierge) and the rest of the staff were just wonderful. They made the best suggestions for acitivites, dinner reservations, and shopping destinations. We cannot wait to come back!

Room Tip: We were upgraded to their Blue Tip Suite and it was beautiful.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I am currently still here as I write this. Check in was flawless with most professional service to date. Someone brought us drinks and cookies as I've walked in. I might be biased because they upgraded my room since my room was not ready. I've checked in at 12 even though normal check in is at 2pm. Someone escorted us to our room and told us more about the resort. She didn't even want me to tip her since she was the general manager. Ok...for the beach: clean, clear with a lot beach chairs. Some of the water activities are free. The best hotel looking out from left to right. Made a mistake of eat out at eats cafe instead of the beachside restaurant. Outside lunch totaled $40 vs $50 inside for a better food inside. $10 savings not worth going out for. Small touches like free snowcone, fruit filled water jar, wet hand towels, sometimes free fruit drinks, foot washing for sand, and super clean restrooms are something you cannot put a price on.. It's sometimes good to spurge and this is a perfect place!

Room Tip: From ritz sign on the main road, take a left. There are good restaurants and a supermarket. Only abo...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Joe P
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I just wrapped up a week-long stay at the Ritz. I was there for a business conference, my wife and kids were there for vacation, so I had a chance to experience both aspects. In summary, it is a very nice property, with perhaps the best level of service that I have ever experienced (beating out even Asia hotels, which until now I thought were unbeatable.)

What worked:

1) Property is in a great location. It is more or less in the middle of the famous seven mile beach, on the west side of the island.
2) Hotel rooms are exactly what you would expect from a high end Ritz. Impeccably clean, high end everything, DVDs in the room, large bathrooms, etc. We stayed in the beach front rooms, so had views on the balcony over the pool and to the ocean. Stunning.
3) Lots of outside activities:
a. Beach right in front of the hotel, lots of chairs, easy for swimming for kids, etc. There is a resort fee that covers most of the usual activities (sailing, snorkeling, paddle boarding, etc.)
b. Two pools, one on the beach side, one on the garden side. We only used the one on the beach. It is kept very warm. There is also a large hot tub nearby.
c. Very nice restaurants. We used the casual one at the pool (burgers, drinks, etc.), and Seven, which was the high end steak restaurant on the beach side. There are also 3 or 4 more on the garden side, including a sushi and high end seafood restaurant. With my conference, I also had banquet food. It was excellent.
d. Golf course (did not play because it was rained out. It is a nine hole, and looks very nicely kept up, but did not look spectacular. Caymans is not a golfing destination), tennis court (did not use) and spa (did not use.)
4) And finally, the service. I cannot speak highly enough about the level of service and commitment of the staff to the hotel guests. Every staff member was consistently excellent. They were friendly without being intrusive, took ownership over any issue to the point of resolution, and above all had a collective attitude of caring about every aspect of our stay. This included the front desk, the restaurant, the staff at the pool and beach, the cleaning staff. I have stayed at many Ritz Carltons – this one sets the gold standard for service

What could be improved:

1) Internet service and coverage was very poor. It took 24 hours to get any interest at all (they were having issues), and during the week, the speed and coverage was surprisingly slow;
2) When it rains, there is not a lot to do. The hotel is geared to be entirely outdoors – very little indoor activity;
3) I saw this on a previous review, but there is a large gap under the front door of the rooms. In the morning, sunlight pours in through this gap. We ended up showing a bunch of towels. A bit odd.
4) Gym is OK. Equipment is fine, but it is dark and not the typical bright and motivating environment I would expect from the Ritz. Something about the environment was gloomy and made me not want to use it.

Things to be aware of:

1) There are basically two room locations: Beachside or “garden-side”. Beachside means you are in the tower on the beach side of the road, overlooking the pool, beach and ocean. Garden-side means you are on the non-beach side of the road, and are overlooking either the lawn or the other (non-beach) pool. There are restaurants and retail shops on both sides, and they are connected by a very nice interior bridge, with art work. The beach side rooms are a lot more expensive. We stayed in those, and loved the view. But, if the view is not that important for you, or you don’t hang out much in your room, then you will be perfectly happy on the garden side. The walk is not that long, the walk is actually attractive, and there are amenities on both sides of the property.
2) Everything is very, very, very expensive. Caymans in general are expensive, and this is the most expensive property. Expect to pay $15-20 for a drink. Brunch, while great, is ~$40 a person.
3) As such, take advantage of the stuff that is “free.” Many of the water sports are included in the resort fee charge (sailing, paddle sports.) I did not realize this at first, so read the fine print when you check in. Also, they offer free coffee every morning in the lounge which is excellent.

Again, in summary, I can’t speak highly enough about the staff. They make this place.

Room Tip: If you care about views, pay the extra and stay on the beach side.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Goldenbear96
Marc_Langevin, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Dear Goldenbear86,
It was a pleasure to have you visit with us. Thank you very much for sharing your compliments and feedback about our resort experience. I am delighted to read about the service you experienced from our dedicated Ladies and Gentlemen. On your next visit, we hope you will take advantage of the activities on the resort side - our Greg Norman-designed golf course is exceptional. I also appreciate the feedback you shared about what we can improve and, if you can afford the time, I would value the opportunity to discuss your experience in further detail. You may reach me personally at +1 (345) 815-6006. Again, thank you for your comments and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Marc Langevin

Reviewed 9 June 2014

I took a girls trip with my daughter and we chose the Cayman Isl because we always feel safe there. The Ritz gives you even more security for women traveling on their own. Our rooms were nice and everything was close by.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 June 2014

You cannot beat this Ritz. My wife and I were here in March of 2013. We had a room across the road but they upgraded us to the beach side. Initially I was disappointed as we had a ground floor room and I wanted to have a balcony but soon realized that we could get to the beach in less than 30 seconds. The Rooms are large and spectacular, they met our expectation. There is a small fridge in the room to which is nice if you buy your own drinks.
Yes the place is expensive so we actually had 3 wonderful dinners directly across the street (4 minute walk). Eats Café serves typical American type food and has the #1 stir fry dish I have ever had! Yoshi is a Sushi restaurant, it was a great environment and the food was good, not the best sushi ever but good enough. The 3rd restaurant was an Italian place connected to Eats café, it was also very good and all were reasonably priced with entrees in the $10-$15 range. We also stopped by the liquor stores and got a 12pk of Corona and a couple of bottles of wine. These were both very expensive (about 2x-3x more expensive than US) but still a great deal compared to drink prices at Ritz. That being said we did splurge on a few things at the Ritz while basking in the sun. The Pina Colada is the most amazing frozen drink I have ever had, its about $17 but so good. Also for lunch we got the Chips and Salsa/Guac. This was very fresh and filling for a lunch it was only $15.
You have to get to the beach by 730 if you want a chair on the front row facing the beautiful Caribbean sea. The Staff was amazing on the beach, always willing to offer towel service and drink/food service.

Room Tip: You must be on the beach side of the resort or you will be walking a long way.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Michael P
Reviewed 8 June 2014

One expects a Ritz Carlton to be a cut above the rest, and this one did not disappoint. A beautiful hotel in a fabulous location! But as I have mentioned in another review a hotel is only a building, it is the staff that can make a visit special. The staff here was outstanding! Every employee went out of his or her way to be helpful and wish us a good day. Other hotels should learn from this model. One story especially touched me. Our group did a service project while we were in Grand Cayman. The afternoon after we had completed our project it started to rain, and I jokingly complained to a housekeeper. She replied, "Don't be sad, the rain is tears of joy for what you have done for our island." I was very touched. Thank you Daisy for putting things in perspective.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Eric M,
Thank you very much for sharing your experience. On behalf of all the Ladies and Gentlemen of The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman, we cannot thank your group enough for your kindness in supporting our community. It was a privilege for us to serve alongside you and make such a positive contribution to the Cayman Islands. Miss Daisy is one of our most wonderful Ladies at The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman and I will share your compliments with her. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Marc Langevin