“No Ritz Experience at the Ritz Grand Cayman”

Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We visited the Ritz Carlton on Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, on our the first day of our trip. Honestly, we thought we would be hanging at the Ritz, which is a short walk from the Beachcomber Condos, where we had an awesome experience.

One trip to the Ritz was all it took to turn us off, and not return. We ate lunch on the pool deck, a beautiful setting right on the beach. But unfortunately, we were turned off immediately by a rude hostess. She indicated we were rude for taking two chairs from an adjoining table - she obviously didn't see us ask the leaving party if it was OK to snag the chairs. Her assumption that we were rude Americans, and then having the bad taste and bravado to scold us for what she thought was a transgression was an incredibly bad way to introduce us to the Ritz.

The other thing that turned us off was the price. I was not paying the bill, but for the food and drinks we got the value was just not there.

When travelling in the US I have always enjoyed Ritz Carlton properties for their typically impeccable service. Yes, they're typically pricey, but I have previously felt we got a good value for our dollar. Not so at the Ritz Carlton Grand Cayman. Their loss I suppose.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
7  Thank chrisjchurch
Marc_Langevin, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Dear chrisjchurch,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments. I was disappointed to read that you did not have a pleasant experience during your recent visit to our resort. Our Ladies and Gentlemen, representing more than 60 diverse nationalities, are committed to providing all our guests with the finest service and I apologize your experience did not meet expectations. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your experience in further detail and I invite you to contact me personally at +1 (345) 815-6006 at your earliest convenience.

Again, thank you for sharing your feedback. I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Marc Langevin
The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman

Write a ReviewReviews (3,090)

Reviewed 6 July 2014

This is a big hotel.

We stayed in a 3 bedroom ocean front suite at the Ritz. After coming from a nice condo 3 doors down, we were not looking forward to leaving it. Ultimately, we felt that the condo provided so much more in terms of a nice beach, less crowd, and better beach chair/umbrellas than the Ritz did. I think this was a huge difference as the Ritz beach is littered with beach chairs and people whereas the condo properties are quieter and many, just as nice as the Ritz. One additional thing we were surprised at was the entrance to the beach at the Ritz; a lot more rocks to step over to get into the water especially near the water sports area.

We did love having breakfast at SEVEN each morning (buffet $32 pp). I really enjoyed their fresh juice bar where you could order whatever you wanted. The fitness center was great, too.Complimentary coffee and tea set up each morning near the lobby was lovely.

The suite we had at the Ritz was decorated exceptionally well. Very pretty finish out and decor. The full kitchen was nice and had a washer and dryer. Loved the view from the balcony overlooking the beach. The watersports fee included the water tricycle, hobie cats, paddle boards, kayaks, and snorkel gear. Definitely try sailing the hobie cats...such a great experience.

The Ritz staff were always pleasant and accommodating. We appreciated the upgrade they gave us.

Enjoy!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank TravelerDallasTX
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Loved staying at The Ritz, but glad someone else was paying for it!!! Hence why I put value as average. Pretty property and staff was top notch. We were lucky to be staying in the portion of the hotel which was beach side, but there was a whole other part of the hotel on the opposite side of the street. If you wanted to eat on property, you had to wait for a table and don't expect to pay less than $75 for 2 lunch. We stay in Turks and Caicos often which we like better.....Grand Cayman is VERY commercialized and beach is not as pretty.

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank AEJ-MWS
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed at excellent resorts which is somewhat connected to the Ritz as we were able to use all their amenities. It's a beautiful resort. Pool, beach, fitness center, bar, etc. Everything was spot on and awesome.

Great beach chairs and the staff was friendly.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Keith R
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We just arrived home from a week at the Ritz in Grand Cayman!!

It is a very nice property and the staff tries very hard to do everything right, some of them are fantastic and others are still trying to get there. Here is what you need to know: Due to a mandatory $60 daily "resort fee" and a mandatory $59.35 daily "tourism tax" and a mandatory daily $45.65 "service room fee" your room will cost you $165.00 more than you expect.

Everyone loves the beach side of the hotel (which has access to a lovely beach) you will need to get to the beach by 8:00-8:30 to reserve a front row lounge chair. There are personal cabanas available from $225 - $700 and they seem to get the best service.. we are use to Four Seasons beach service and the beach service here is not nearly as good. When you are spending $20 for a frozen drink, you expect to have an easy time finding someone to order one from.

The resort side pool is quiet and relaxing and has excellent cabanas and the cabanas on that side are free to use!! Just reserve them a day in advance. It was a great place for the family to watch the world cup.

If you are going to take an excursion to see the stingrays (and you definitely should) make sure to book through the hotel with Red Sail and request the new 22 passenger boat. It is not as romantic compared to the sail boat... but it is state of the art and top of the line. very fast, quiet, clean and smooth. Do not worry about motion sickness at all. And the crew is excellent the experience was personal and above expectations.

Food.. there are many very good restaurants on site, but also try the lobby bar for a quick casual dinner or evening cocktail. they will bring food from other restaurants as well. All food and beverage prices are listed in Cayman $ on the menus but billed in USD when the check arrives and every check has a mandatory 15% gratuity added to it.

Spa and Gym: the spa is nice but expensive $225 for a basic massage with a mandatory 20% tip included. The gym is adequate and you have full access to the saunas.

Over all it was a great trip and I would recommend the hotel.. if they improved the beach service I think they would make more money and have happier customers. You get what you pay for with the room views, more money means better views.. but since you are in Grand Cayman... get out of the room and watch the sunset from the beach!! or better yet... the beach bar (try the Pina Colada)

Room Tip: The ocean view rooms are great.. but save the money. Just DO NOT get a garden view on the harbor si...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Tony C
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Our stay at the hotel was from 6/28--7/2. We have been to several resorts and by far, The Ritz Carlton in Grand Cayman is the example of Excellent Service!!! Despite the hiccup with our reservation, Marvia made up for the mistake! It was my parents 45th anniversary n Marvia sent a personal card with chocolates for them! Orlando also was a stand out employee! He took our luggage up and remembered our names just from that short encounter!

Everywhere we went we were greeted and our names were always remembered.

The restaurants are expensive but well worth it!!! Fabulous food AND great service!!

I could go on and on but bottom line...Yes, it's pricey, Yes, they will charge you a resort fee, BUT.... I Could Care Less!! It is ALL Worth It!!

We Will Be Back!!!!! Thanks Ritz!!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Resort View building. It is quieter but it is a small hike through the building to...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank lizTexas
Marc_Langevin, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear lizTexas,
Your comments about our resort experience were wonderful to read. I am delighted to read how our Ladies and Gentlemen impressed throughout your visit and I look forward to sharing your compliments with those who you have mentioned. We are excited to welcome you back soon to create more "best vacation!" memories with you.

Marc Langevin

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Ritz-Carlton is by far one of the most recognizable and respected brand in the hotel industry. When friends of ours decided on the Ritz in Grand Cayman for their destination wedding my wife and I were instantly counting the days until we arrived. There was a modest wedding group discount and booking was easy, yet not exactly straight forward.

I wasn't aware, and maybe with more research would have been but I always feel if I'm the guest then everything should be easy to access when booking. A majority of the "garden view" rooms are across the street from the oceanfront rooms, pool, and beach. I often opt for garden view when going to a wedding since a majority of the time is at the beach or pool. While the service, facilities, and staff went beyond what most would I was disappointed at times on the length of the walk from our room to the beach. A forgotten pair of sunglasses shouldn't cost you almost 20 minutes of back and forth.

Once I had my sunglasses though I was blown away by the beach and pristine waters. The guests for this wedding were a mix of ages, singles, couples, and families. The Ritz perfectly balances their staffing, amenities, and special touch that one group never feels like the others are putting a crimp in the priceless time away from the real world. I was never bored, and never felt the need to do anything more than relax. Snorkeling equipment, stand up paddle, hobie cats, kayaks, in water tables and rafts were more than accessible throughout our time there.

The food was nothing short of spectacular. From a mahi sandwich on the beach to some of the most intriguing seafood dishes I've ever had at Eric Ripert's Blue, I'll be craving and craving until my next trip there.

Some can argue on how they see value in vacations. While the numbers may be higher than other properties you can't put a number on service that anticipates, meets and exceeds any and all expectations.

Room Tip: The garden view rooms are quieter yet further from the beach. They do have their own pool that's...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Sunshine Suites Resort
#7 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
Compass Point Dive Resort
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Reso...
#4 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman? Share your experiences!