“Pricy but nicest hotel on the island”

Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Been going to grand cayman for many years. I have been to the ritz several times and enjoy it, but at times the room rates have been so egregious as to force us to the westin. We were able to get some decent room rates being in the off season and also via the 5th night free. As usual, it's beautiful and the service is wonderful. One complaint, we've never slept well at this hotel,I don't know if it's the bed or us!

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank chipw374

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Spent our 14th anniversary here July1-6. Greeted at the airport. Greeted by name at the hotel. Brought us over champagne glasses during check in. Upgraded our room to above the pool on the beach 4th floor. It was all our Pleasure.
Really spectacular service. World Cup Americas team lost was the only bad incident.
Yes, there are daily fees per person, so use the resort. I loved the yellow round floaties that were like trampolines tied to a line in the ocean, so you don't drift off, laying 2 persons, seating maybe 4. We got covered cabanas two days because the sun is intense. You get a great setup including sun chairs with moveable little shades if you like to use them. Bottled water in buckets. And regular service throughout. On the weekends they have a guard at the outer walkway by the hotel to watch over. Nice. We had breakfast buffet included daily at "Seven" and it was top notch. Something for everyone. We did a bourbon tasting that was fun because my husband is from Louisville/Lexington Kentucky. We booked a snorkel and stingray city excursion through the hotel. Great team and made sure everyone was comfortable, above and beyond.."the ritz hospitality". We really enjoyed it because it wasn't a packed boat, like many of the others we saw out at stingray city.
The hotel had truffle chocolates delivered to our room day 3. Turn down service is at least 2 times a day. With dark and milk chocolates and plenty of water. The hotel and staff are five star. Live music afternoons and evening. Seven for dinner was awesome. We all tasted from each other's and I had the lamb and the kale, watermelon, pumpkin salad. Great for sharing. Brioche was brought to the table with 2 sides, foie gras and butter. I sampled from others the Mac n cheese& twice baked potato. Really tasty. Only three things I particularly wasn't crazy about....there were some snooty little kids that I saw being rude to the staff, several times. And the parents that were with them, some made no eye contact with the staff, just barked what they wanted:(.and I was afraid of the lizards on and around my cabana:)
We would definitely return to this hotel.

Room Tip: We booked with Amex platinum card and guarantees an upgrade on the luxury hotel and $100 credit at h...
3  Thank EricocaDallas_Texas
Marc_Langevin, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear EricocaDallas_Texas,
It truly is our pleasure to offer the finest service and create lasting memories for our guests. Unfortunately, we were not able to ensure a better outcome for you during the World Cup; but, we absolutely enjoyed sharing in the excitement with you! Our cabanas are a wonderful haven and relaxing with a lovely dinner at SEVEN is the perfect way to spend the day. I am also glad to see you enjoyed a trip to Stingray City, a must-see for everyone. Thank you very much for sharing such kind thoughts about your experience. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

I recently returned from a 5 day vacation with my wife at the Ritz in Grand Cayman. We came in with very high expectations and in most instances they were exceeded. While I have stayed at high end resorts and hotels before and we even were married at a Ritz, I was amazed at how easy and enjoyable this Ritz made our vacation.
Since it is fresh in my mind, I will be very detailed to help both future travelers and management. Let's start with arrival in Grand Cayman. After waiting in line for 45 minutes at immigration, our luggage was waiting and we quickly went through customs (FYI- for those bringing in your own food such as meat, you need to declare it, but you can bring in under 25 pounds as long as it is sealed and says USDA approved). The taxi stand is right when you exit the airport and there was a Ritz employee who helped us get our luggage into the cab. The cab ride is $30 including tip and takes 15 minutes. Upon arrival we received a choice of rum punch or fruit juice and were immediately taken to the club lounge. You should note that the "lobby" is very small because the original lobby was where the Seven Restaurant is, but was changed after hurricane Ivan.
At the club lounge we were checked in and informed that we had been upgraded to an Ocean Front room. Many of the reviews have focused on the distance from the non-ocean rooms to the beach, but as a couple (not with kids) we found that we would have been fine with the longer walk. I believe the Periwinkle pool is a hidden gem at the Ritz and is on the non-ocean side. That being said, our room had a great view and made it a very short walk to the beach pool and the beach.
The rooms are nice, clean (especially for a Caribbean resort), and well maintained. There are several free water bottles in the room and they are continuously replenished. The shower pressure is average and there is no hand held shower head, but the bathroom is well stocked and spacious. We slept very well in the bed and had little noise from outside. The room is cleaned once a day and there is turn-down service in the early evening. The cleaning staff is very friendly which is certainly the theme of the hotel. One of the most amazing parts of the ocean front tower is that there was almost never a wait for an elevator.
The facilities are well maintained. The gym is well equipped with all the amenities you would need including headphones. You need to walk through the spa lobby to get there. The TV's on the equipment are dated and the audio does not always follow in sync with the picture. The pools are nice with very good service, but as I said above, the Periwinkle pool is fantastic. It is the pool far from the beach, but has covered couches, covered hammocks, and free cabanas (first come first serve). There is full court basketball next to the pool and a water park feature (that was still under construction) for the kids.
The beach is large with 3 rows deep of beach chairs. There are cabanas in the back and luxury daybeds in the front. The beach service was generally good, but it seemed the staffing went down midweek, so there was a longer wait. They have divided service between the chairs and towels (blue shirt) and the food servers (white shirt). The food service comes from Bar Jack, so there is a big menu and the food comes out in a wooden box, which makes it easier to eat. The watersports is on the far right of the beach and has the snorkeling equipment (which is a must, even if only around the beach). Further down is the paddle boards, kayaks, etc. Note, make sure they rub their lotion on the mask or it will fog up. The Ritz has done a great job removing most of the rocks in their ocean swim area. Make sure you get on one of the covered floating tables. You will get good at swimming to them with a drink in your hand. The wifi reaches the beach, but can be somewhat spotty.
There are several places to eat at the hotel. We were especially focused on this aspect since we have very specific dietary and food preparation restrictions. We ate three dinners at Seven and each one was better than the next. We also ate the buffet breakfast there as well (which was included in our room rate). Note you might want to use a travel agent to book since they can get some added features that the internet cannot get you. Chef Jordan coordinated all of our meals flawlessly. Chef Jen prepared amazing dinners for us and was able to walk us through her preparation prior to ordering. Chef Jose prepared us delicious omelets and has extensive experience in preparing glatt kosher meals. We were even able to spend one dinner at Taikun, where we were able to have specially prepared sashimi and sushi. Of course we were blown away when the Sommelier at Seven, Jonathan, came out with three outstanding bottles of kosher wine. Traveling with strict dietary restrictions is tough, but the Ritz did an amazing job handling it strictly and respectfully.
Lastly, checkout is a breeze, just don't get to the airport too early.
A final shout out to some of the other staff who stood out and you will no doubt meet. Abdul at the Club was the most knowledgeable about everything. Holly at the Club took care of all our needs. Kingsley is a gem of a guy at the beach and Chantal was so helpful at Taikun. Our breakfast server was also great, but I cannot remember her name. As you can see, it is a nice part of the vacation to get to know the staff. They are genuinely friendly.
The only real challenge in going to the Ritz is the cost of the amenities. Every drink, dinner, and activity is super expensive. The most egregious of those is the spa treatments. $300 for a facial (before tip). The $225 for the daybed at the beach was a big surprise as well. To be fair, it is the Ritz and you should expect that cost with the outstanding service.

4  Thank JZPhiladelphia
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Another amazing Ritz Carlton experience! Five nights to celebrate anniversary with three little ones. Experience could not have been more perfect. Blue Tip Suite was an incredible room. I read where others complained about the "long walk to the beach" from that part of the resort...didn't bother us at all...not even the kids. Beach was perfect, pool was perfect, daily breakfast at Seven was incredible, Bar Jack restaurant and poolside drinks could not have been better. Most importantly though, the people always make the difference. The staff was amazing at every level. From housekeeping to the restaurants (we hit them all) and every aspect of the beach & pool. Truly, from the very moment we stepped in the door, the people were just fantastic. Smiles, positive attitudes, utmost professionalism, genuine hospitality. The entire experience could not have been better. I would love to thank many individuals, but honestly there are too many to list in the review.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Luv2Travelwithmywife,
On behalf of the Ladies and Gentlemen of The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman, it was a delight to celebrate your anniversary. I am overjoyed to read the positive feedback that you have shared. Our Ladies and Gentlemen are dedicated to exceptional service, and I am pleased to see that this was reflected on your stay with us. Thank you very much for taking the time to share your compliments. We look forward to welcoming you back to our beautiful resort soon.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

The premises do not get a 5 but the location and the beach cannot be easily beaten. Almost perfect service, almost perfect staff and most importantly, almost a perfect destination. Don't miss the perfect sunset from sea view rooms!

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room at the beach side but not the furthest away from reception as it can be...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Constantinos22
Reviewed 7 July 2014

My wife and I are finishing up our trip at the Ritz-Carlton in Grand Cayman. It was a fantastic trip at a beautiful resort. The service was incredible. I typically do not remember staff members by names at resorts, but I did this time!

Kingsley at the pool and beach provided as good of service as we've ever received. We met him on the first day and he remembered our first names. At the concierge, Howard was very helpful. He provided us with insightful guidance and recommendations.

In the spirit of feedback on the resort here are my additional thoughts:

Pros-
Service....it was incredible
Beautiful grounds and resort
Spa/Spa Service was excellent
Workout facility was top notch with plenty of workout area and machines
Location...right on 7 Mile Beach
Lots of water activities....paddle board, hobie cats, snorkel gear, canoes
Snorkeling right off the beach with lots of fish
Good restaurants...we went to Taikun twice and Seven once...both were very good

Cons-
KIDS EVERYWHERE! I don't know if parents just say screw it and let their kids run rapid at the Ritz, but there were literally kids everywhere splashing and screaming. If you are going to this resort for tranquility and peace/quiet, it is hard to find outside of the spa. The pool was by far the worst. There were kids running around unsupervised.... I mean seriously...if you want to just let your kids go wild stay at the Marriott or Comfort Suites...not the Ritz!
I understand this completely the Ritz' fault, but they have done nothing to compensate for the kid craziness.

For instance....
NO ADULTS ONLY area at the pool or beach....this blew me away...every 5 star resort I have ever been to has had an adults only area
We stayed on the Penthouse Floor on the Oceanside which was evidently adults only...but we saw kids getting on and off of the elevator...

If the resort is able to provide more peace/quiet for couples and adults, I would recommend this resort to anyone. But after staying at several other resorts, I recommend the 4S in Nevis, Grand Hyatt in Kauai or the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall in Montego Bay over the Ritz for couples.

Room Tip: Pay extra for the ocean side room. It's worth it!
5  Thank CarmelINTraveler
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

If you want truly five star quality go to this resort the beach is absolutely gorgeous clean white sand beaches Crystal blue water they keep it impeccable - gorgeous cushions on the lounge chairs and beautiful cabanas the resort restaurants are absolutely beautiful including the small little sushi bar upstairs inside the hotel the beach lunch area is absolutely gorgeous- the rooms and bathrooms are gorgeous marble tile walk-in showers double sinks beautiful bed linens lots of pillows very plush- the only difference I would've made is to bring my husband with me instead of my girlfriends this place is absolutely perfect-

Stayed: September 2013

Dear FL1033,
I am so pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your experience with us. Thank you very much for sharing your compliments. Seven Mile Beach is absolutely breathtaking and I do hope you have the chance to experience one of our magical sunsets with your husband. Again, thank you for taking the time to share such a delightful review.